Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineConnoisseur

Re: Magic mushrooms lift severe depression in clinical trial [Re: Mr. Magic]
    #23240866 - 05/18/16 04:32 AM (7 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

passifloracaerulea said:
I get too deep into depression sometimes on psilocybin because it makes me extremely aware of the sadness in this world. The only thing that gets me through is that there's really nothing to stop what we do to each other and that gives me a very hopeless feeling. I literally get full blown panic attacks from these realizations sometimes and have ended many trips going to sleep convinced there was nothing left but suicide. I have to be around overly positive and naïve people when tripping, but I tend to roll my eyes way too much when I'm around people like that and I get called negative. I can see how they'd help someone out of a defined sort of depression that has a final wall like death to come to terms with, but it complicates issues for me.

I have had this same exact experience as well, specifically with psilocybin. As McKenna called it, the meat locker.

Quote:

Mr. Magic said:
Yeah i feel the same way sadly. I started using psychedelics because i thought they would help me with my depression. It seems like its only made things worse in a sense as now i feel like i can see right through people and the bullshit that is everyday "life". I dont regret any of my experiences and still plan on tripping though.

I think this is a good vid. Funny he uploaded this while i was pondering over the reason why i feel this way.
I know hes talking about acid but it goes for all psychedelics for me.

i relate to what this guys saying a lot. I always wish I could change some of those things about me that I don't like to see while tripping, thankfully I have changed some of them over the years but not all of them. Also the world really is a shitty place and nothing is gong to stop that. I've just learned that the key to handling the insanity of life is to just work on yourself and how to make your experience of life pleasurable and valuable even if you can't be a saint while doing it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineElalien
Linguistic object
 User Gallery

Loc: A Glorious mountain
Re: Magic mushrooms lift severe depression in clinical trial [Re: Connoisseur]
    #23240898 - 05/18/16 05:02 AM (7 years, 10 months ago)

Australian news today...

Hallucinogenic "magic" mushrooms could help some people blunt the anxiety caused by chronic depression, according to a small-scale study released this week.

"This is the first time that psilocybin has been investigated as a potential treatment for major depression," lead author Robin Carhart-Harris of Imperial College London said in a statement.

The study only involved 12 people and did not use a placebo-taking control group.

But the results, published in The Lancet Psychiatry peer-reviewed medical journal, were encouraging enough to merit further trials, he said.

All of the subjects had tried at least two standard drug treatments without success, and most had also undergone psychotherapy.

Clinical depression is a debilitating disease that affects tens of millions of people worldwide.

Antidepressants and talk therapy don't work for about one in five patients, highlighting the need for alternate treatments.

Psilocybin stimulates receptors for serotonin, a naturally occurring chemical in the brain that affects mood.

Many antidepressants -- known as SSRIs -- are designed to boost serotonin levels.

In the experiment, Carhart-Harris and colleagues gave two doses of psilocybin, a week apart, to six men and six women suffering moderate to severe depression.

The first dose was small, to test for adverse side-effects.

The next dose, 25 mg, was strong enough to cause hallucinations.

Patients lay in beds in a quiet room, listening to classical music. They were encouraged to "explore their own mental space," or imagine a pleasant landscape.

They all reported mild nervousness as the drug took hold within 30 to 60 minutes, but there were no serious side-effects.

Each session lasted six hours -- with "peaking" occurring half way through -- and was monitored by two psychiatrists.

Doctors followed up at regular intervals following the experiment.

All patients showed some improvement one week later, and eight out of 12 showed "temporary remission."

After three months, seven of the patients continued to show improvement, and five were still in remission.

These results "are promising but not completely compelling," commented Philip Cowen, a clinical scientist and professor at the University of Oxford.

"Further follow-ups using detailed qualitative interviews with patients and family could be very helpful in enriching the assessment," he wrote, also in The Lancet Psychiatry.

Another expert not involved in the study expressed greater scepticism.

Given the small number of subjects and lack of a control group, "it is impossible to attribute clinical efficacy to the drug," said Jonathan Flint, a professor of neuroscience at the University of Oxford.

Along with LSD and other hallucinogens popular as recreational drugs in the 1960 and 1970s, psilocybin is classified as a "controlled substance" and is illegal in most countries.

InvisibleShroomerInTheRye
Clit Commander
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Themyscira Flag
Re: Magic mushrooms lift severe depression in clinical trial [Re: Elalien] * 1
    #23240959 - 05/18/16 06:03 AM (7 years, 10 months ago)

The University of South Florida did a study on psilocybin that showed new neuron growth in mice that were given a low dose of psilocybin.  I wonder if that's why the "treatment" sticks.  You have this new growth that's been exposed to good feelings and memories only.

I really hope they keep up the research.  I firmly believe that psilocybin has great medicinal uses, and I've said it from day one.

--------------------
:nyan: <-- Clicky Clicky

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
Re: Magic mushrooms lift severe depression in clinical trial [Re: Mostly_Harmless]
    #23241302 - 05/18/16 09:01 AM (7 years, 10 months ago)

Hehe! I was just getting ready to post this, but I see you beat me to it. :hatsoff: For someone suffering chronic depression this does look promising, I must say.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies