Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineProtester
Stoner ReekingHavok

Building a dumber America
    #2323374 - 02/11/04 09:14 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

URL: http://www.mapinc.org/drugnews/v04/n182/a06.html
Newshawk: Educators for Sensible Drug Policy http://EfSDP.org
Pubdate: Wed, 28 Jan 2004
Source: AlterNet (US Web)
Copyright: 2004 Independent Media Institute
Details: http://www.mapinc.org/media/1451
Author: Marsha Rosenbaum
Note: Marsha Rosenbaum, PhD, is a medical sociologist who directs the (
http://www.safety1st.org/) Safety First project of the Drug Policy
Alliance in San Francisco.
Bookmark: http://www.mapinc.org/testing.htm (Drug Testing)
Bookmark: http://www.mapinc.org/find?225 (Students - United States)
Bookmark: http://www.mapinc.org/bush.htm (Bush, George)
Bookmark: http://www.mapinc.org/walters.htm (Walters, John)

NO 'SILVER BULLET'

Last week it was "WMD" all over again in the President's State of the Union message. This time the unsubstantiated claims and wrongheaded policy were aimed at America's schoolchildren in this latest effort to get them to "just say no" to illegal drugs.

Citing recent declines in illegal drug use among teenagers, and couched in loving and caring rhetoric, Bush credited random drug testing with the reduction. He then proposed an additional $23 million for schools opting to use, as Drug Czar John Walters touts, this "silver bullet."

Immediately following, HR 3720 was introduced in the House by Rep. John Peterson ( R-5th/PA ), providing grants under the Safe and Drug-Free Schools and Communities Act to schools that institute random drug testing of all students.

These proposals are based on shaky assumptions and political whim rather than sound research. Thoughtful investigations instead reveal that random drug testing does not deter drug use, and that it alienates students.

Last year's large federally funded ( http://www.monitoringthefuture.org/survey ) that showed declines in illegal drug use also compared schools with and without drug testing. It turned out there was no difference in illegal drug use among students in drug testing v. non-drug testing schools. Aside from imparting misinformation about the deterrent value of testing, since only 5 percent of American schools currently utilize drug testing, Bush's crediting these programs for reductions in use is putting the cart before the horse.

As drug testing is currently practiced, students must be observed ( by a teacher or other adult ) as they urinate to be sure the sample they produce is their own. The collection of a specimen is a humiliating, invasive violation of privacy. For an adolescent ( as well as most adults ), this experience is especially embarrassing.

Testing can have the unanticipated effect of keeping students from participating in after-school, extracurricular programs - the very same activities that would fill their time during the peak teenage drug-using hours of 3-6 PM. A Tulia, Texas student summed it up when she said, "I know lots of kids who don't want to get into sports ... because they don't want to get drug tested. That's one of the reasons I'm not into any [activity]. I'm on medication, so I would always test positive, and then they would have to ask me about my medication, and I would be embarrassed. And what if I'm on my period? I would be too embarrassed."

School districts across our country are in a financial crisis, with cuts further threatening the quality of education in America. The millions of dollars proposed for random drug testing could be used more wisely, having a real rather than symbolic impact on high school drug abuse.

School administrators in Dublin, Ohio, for example, calculated that their $35,000 per year drug testing program was not cost-efficient. Of 1,473 students tested, at $24 each, 11 tested positive, for a total cost of $3,200 per "positive" student. They cancelled the program, and with the savings were able to hire a full-time counselor and provide prevention programs for all 3,581 students.

Random drug testing may provide a false sense of security among school officials and parents who believe the program will let them know which students abuse drugs. In fact, testing will detect a tiny fraction of users, many of them without problems, and miss too many who are in trouble. If we are truly intent on helping students, we should listen to drug abuse professionals who know that detection of problems requires careful attention to signs such as truancy, erratic behavior, and falling grades.

Some will argue that students need drug testing to help them say "no." But in 2003, the "State of Our Nation's Youth" survey found that, contrary to popular belief, most teens are not pressured to use drugs. The same survey found, much to the surprise of many parents ( myself included ), that 75 percent of teenagers actually enjoy spending time with their parents, and feel they have a good relationship with them.

Indeed, it's relationships built on trust, with parents, teachers and other caring adults, that accounts for the well being of teenagers. Drug testing actually has the effect of undermining parental influence, forcing adults to say, in essence, "I don't trust you," to their teenagers.

As young adults, teens need to know we expect them to learn how to take responsibility for their health. They need science-based drug education, counseling, and support. If they don't learn make wise decisions about alcohol and other drugs in high school, how will they enter the post-high school world as responsible adults?

Random drug testing may seem a panacea, but it is fraught with social, emotional and financial problems. Before we leap into another program ( like DARE ) that uses our teenagers as guinea pigs, we should carefully examine the many repercussions, pitfalls and alternatives to random student drug testing.

Bet we can expect more shit like this cause marijuiana is gaining ground citys and states even the supreme court. What this is, is a desperation attempt to gain back ground that prohibtionist have lost, we gotta keep fighting harder guys when they push push back let them know we are not going to let them push us from our chosen course. Im not saying that children should use drugs im just saying if they are going to do this to our youth where the hell will they stop!

--------------------
I work my shitty 9-5 and I pay my taxes, I'm not hurting anybody else. So why do you care what i do in my spare time.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
Re: Building a dumber America [Re: Protester]
    #2323417 - 02/11/04 10:05 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

It's best to get our children used to totalitarianism at a young age. They will grow up and learn to accept it as a part of everyday life as much as MTV.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

OfflineLearyfan
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
Re: Building a dumber America [Re: Evolving]
    #2323961 - 02/11/04 01:50 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

:lol:

You know what would really put a stop to teen drug use? Locking all kids in a dark, windowless room until they?re 18.

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month: The Loose Enz - The Black Door

OfflineEkstaza
stranger thanmost
 User Gallery

Loc: Around the corner
Re: Building a dumber America [Re: Learyfan]
    #2324102 - 02/11/04 02:32 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Learyfan said:
You know what would really put a stop to teen drug use? Locking all kids in a dark, windowless room until they're 18.

We better keep them in there until they are 20. That way they don't have those extra two years of teen life to tempt them.

--------------------
YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GIVEN DRUG ISN'T THE DEFINITIVE MEASURE OF THE DRUGS EFFECTS.

OfflineMitchnast
Trial by Madness
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Mahjong

Loc: Okanagan Flag
Re: Building a dumber America [Re: Ekstaza]
    #2325417 - 02/11/04 08:02 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

no, those 2 years should be the intensive rape years.
that way they get used to getting fucked against their will

--------------------

OfflineProtester
Stoner ReekingHavok

Re: Building a dumber America [Re: Mitchnast]
    #2325731 - 02/12/04 03:40 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

LOL mitch that sounds about right.

--------------------
I work my shitty 9-5 and I pay my taxes, I'm not hurting anybody else. So why do you care what i do in my spare time.

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #2327087 - 02/12/04 03:48 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

"You know what would really put a stop to teen drug use?"

Nothing, but you know what would really lessen it in the long run? Legalizing it, this way its NOT SUCH A BIG FUCKING DEAL ANYMORE..

its like sex - my friends and I were talking about this last night - this country is so fucking PRUDE about boobs and sex man, NO WONDER WE'RE SEX-OBSESSED FREAKS!!

Same with drugs - when they say "no no no no don't do this please whatever you do; its bad, naughty, and it ruins everything for everybody forever" and can never give you a straight REASON, it makes people want to dive in head first, especially younger people.

its like dude just stop censoring sex its not that big of a deal; then maybe we won't be so perverted anymore - same idea with drugs IMO

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

InvisibleEdame
gone

Loc: outta here
    #2327183 - 02/12/04 04:09 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

You know what would really put a stop to teen drug use? Locking all kids in a dark, windowless room until they?re 18.

Even better, abduct them all and send them to Gitmo, they'll probably even have a good time! :smile:

--------------------
The above is an extract from my fictional novel, "The random postings of Edame".
:tongue:

In the beginning was the word. And man could not handle the word, and the hearing of the word, and he asked God to take away his ears so that he might live in peace without having to hear words which might upset his equinamity or corrupt the unblemished purity of his conscience.

And God, hearing this desperate plea from His creation, wrinkled His mighty brow for a moment and then leaned down toward man, beckoning that he should come close so as to hear all that was about to be revealed to him.

"Fuck you," He whispered, and frowned upon the pathetic supplicant before retreating to His heavens.

InvisibleMUSH HEAD420
Kush Commander
Male User Gallery

#8929805 - 09/14/08 07:58 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

hahahahaha!!!

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Building a dumber America [Re: MUSH HEAD420]
    #8929902 - 09/14/08 08:22 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Why would you bump a four year old thread to post that?

Invisiblethedefone
deus ex machina

Loc: Gondwana
Re: Building a dumber America [Re: Redstorm]
    #8930088 - 09/14/08 09:01 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

It's his first post too.  He had to register to bump that 4 year old thread.

--------------------

I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.

InvisibleLuddite
cognitive dissident
 User Gallery

Re: Building a dumber America [Re: thedefone]
    #8930126 - 09/14/08 09:10 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

This thread needs to be moved to BanHappyBastard's forum.

InvisibleMUSH HEAD420
Kush Commander
Male User Gallery

Re: Building a dumber America [Re: Redstorm]
    #8932205 - 09/15/08 10:19 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

hahahahaha!!!:grin:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion