Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
Im Shocked 0_0
    #2322863 - 02/11/04 01:19 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Okay, so i want to know how much about static electricity you fellows know.

Does this sound possible to you?

Many times i have been going to wash my hands, only to be shocked by the WATER. I stick my finger in and *zzz* (FUCK!)

I am holding a normal laser pointer, no internal parts exposed. Im just holding it, and it shocks me (damnit!!!)

The strangest of all, im sitting down listening to my headphones... Then all of a sudden... I am getting shocked all on the inside of my ear by both headphones, i can hear the connection between my ear and the ear phones making the crackling sound. OOWWWW! I rip off the headphones (FUCK, ASS! SHIT!!!)

How plausable does that sound? Well whether it does or not, it happened. I just want to know how likely those thigns are to happen, if at all, under normal circumstances.

--------------------
What?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblezeta
Stranger

Re: Im Shocked 0_0 [Re: Zero7a1]
    #2323233 - 02/11/04 06:57 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

pretty much impossible

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
Re: Im Shocked 0_0 [Re: zeta]
    #2323399 - 02/11/04 09:49 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

no, it's quite possible.... assuming all this shocking takes place in the same building.

i worked for a computer repair company and they bought a new building for me to work in. too bad the place was cursed with static. i mean cursed!

everything i touched shocked me every single time. the only way to avoid a shock was to hang onto something metal and grounded. even if you let go for a split second as soon as you touched said object again you got shocked. i do not know what caused the condition but i don't think Zero7a1 is totally nuts.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Im Shocked 0_0 [Re: debianlinux]
    #2323842 - 02/11/04 01:10 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

> even if you let go for a split second as soon as you touched said object again you got shocked.

I have been in a building like that as well. I hated opening doors... every time you reach for the handle it would zap you. Reach for it again and it would zap you.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

#2325614 - 02/11/04 09:15 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

different buildings. The water incident has happened many places, not just one place.

--------------------
What?

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

#2328933 - 02/13/04 01:24 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Well i dont know, im gonna go ask a chemistry teacher and see what they think :wink: since no one is offering any ideas!!!! Im sorry... heh anyways

here is this thing i found on the net, it cleans water in a very strange way... looks cool though

http://www.polarwearz.com/pw_products/pw_water/default.php

there is some stupid shit on this site though...

--------------------
What?

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #2329235 - 02/13/04 02:39 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

maybe you are an electrostatic anomoly and should be in some sort of chamber awaiting strange experimentation by government-sanctioned scientists.

be careful :wink: watch your back

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

Offlinebutterflydawn
lucid dreamer
 User Gallery

Loc: lost at sea
    #2329685 - 02/13/04 09:11 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

walk some barefoot on grass...
you are ripped off from nature...
that is the reason

--------------------
lucidal expansion

OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
    #2332678 - 02/14/04 12:04 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I work for UPS, and at work, we have these metal rollers that boxes move down...Well, HUGE amounts of static electricity build up on these, and zap anyone who touches them.  It sucks, cuase I wear heavy ass leather boots, and they zap me RIGHT through my boots. OW!  It hurts. :frown:

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Re: Im Shocked 0_0 [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #2336391 - 02/15/04 04:33 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

That sucks. Getting shocked just makes me irritated, and the fact that i got shocked right after the faucet turned on and i stuck the tip of my hand in. It didnt make sense at first to me either, but it happened again, and i was like  :wtf: ?

Didnt know if anyone knew anything about static electricity in depth and knew what it would take to cause it. Lightning strikes water doesnt it? There has to be some sort of polarization for that to take place... right? So i guess i thought... why wouldnt it be possible for the water to be polarized in a faucet and me have a different charge and voooahla! polarization the right word there? Or is that just not possible...  :rolleyes:  :sun:

--------------------
What?

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
Re: Im Shocked 0_0 [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #2363075 - 02/21/04 11:29 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Madtowntripper said:
I work for UPS, and at work, we have these metal rollers that boxes move down...Well, HUGE amounts of static electricity build up on these, and zap anyone who touches them.  It sucks, cuase I wear heavy ass leather boots, and they zap me RIGHT through my boots. OW!  It hurts. :frown:

either we worked at the same UPS hub or they ar all like this. i don't see waht would be so hard about grounding the equipment. RPS (FedEx now i think), btw, is not like this.

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
    #2367120 - 02/22/04 08:40 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

> i don't see waht would be so hard about grounding the equipment.

They also make devices that spray charged ions into the air which discharge static buildup. When I lived in a dry climate, I used to keep one on my work bench and use it when working on electronics.

--------------------

OfflineHugh_Jass
pantydealer
Loc: Northern Ireland
Re: Im Shocked 0_0 [Re: Seuss]
    #2380549 - 02/26/04 07:21 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Our house has a problem with electronics, anything with a speaker seems to have this low frequency buzzing in the background. Guitar, phone, hi-fi, minidisk. Do you think there is a problem with our wiring? Im only just realising theres an electricty pylon across the road.

It is really annoying. Funny enough today is one of the first times ive been shocked in my house tho.

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
    #2382165 - 02/27/04 08:36 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

> seems to have this low frequency buzzing in the background.

My guess is one of two things, or both:

1) ground loop in the wiring
2) improper grounding of the house

A ground loop in house wiring is rare, but can happen if somebody changes the wiring that the original electrician did. A ground loop occurs when the ground line circles back on itself rather than branching out like a tree (The difference between an O and a Y).

Improper grounding occurs when the house is not well grounded to the ground. Sometimes an electrician will hook the ground line up to a metal water pipe assuming that is good enough. Grounding requirements depend upon local code for your area, but generally you should have a conductive rod hammered several feet into the ground to provide proper grounding. (Several feet can sometimes be in the five to ten foot range... many people underestimate the depth required for good grounding).

There may be other factors as well. My background is more in digital electronics and high speed data aquisition rather than power, but I have had to diagnose my fair share of noisy circuits.

--------------------

Invisible@cro
new name
 User Gallery

Loc: The PNW
    #2383420 - 02/27/04 03:35 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Zero7a1 said:
different buildings. The water incident has happened many places, not just one place.

Sounds like something about you is making you more susceptible than others. If others touch things they have more resistance in them and don't get shocked but you do? Do you take iron supplements for anything? I'm not really sure what else would do it. Try changing your multivitamin if you take one.

Peace - @cro

--------------------

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Re: Im Shocked 0_0 [Re: @cro]
    #2392880 - 03/01/04 11:48 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

No, but when ive smelled my blood before, it smells like metal, tastes like metal. But i took a bllood test, didnt say anything was wrong. I think its iron. What can i eat?!

That would be weird though if i had too much iron in my diet, which caused me to get shocked much easier. That would have to be a considerable ammount from the norm, no?

--------------------
What?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Science and Technology