Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineParabola
A tool
Loc: Mountain
Allergies to fungus
    #2321526 - 02/10/04 02:34 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I have eaten mushrooms many times, however my friend wants to try them with me, but he has allergies to penicillin. Is the fungus, mycellium, or pysilocybin in the same family? Does anyone know if it is safe to assume that the same allergy would NOT happen with this kind of fungus?

--------------------
"I embrace my desire to feel the rhythm, to feel connected enough to step aside and weep like a widow. To feel inspired, to fathom the power, to witness the beauty, to bathe in the fountain, to swing on the spiral of our own divinity and still be a human." -Tool, Lateralus

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineJetBlackNinja
Pimp-o-licious
Loc: $%^&
Re: Allergies to fungus [Re: Parabola]
    #2321551 - 02/10/04 02:41 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

no it's never safe to assume anything as far as alergies go.

Tell the kid to eat like 1/4 of 1 dried shroom. If he's allergic that will be enough to trigger it without putting him in a coma.

If nothing happens then he is safe to feed.

--------------------

OfflineCatharsis
boobs
    #2321566 - 02/10/04 02:45 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

wow, I completely forgot penicillin came from a fungus (including all the times I have eaten mushrooms in the past.) I am allergic to penicillin aswell, and it didn't do anything to me, allergy wise. I'm not entirely sure how much these types of things would differ from person to person, though. So, it might trigger an allergic reaction for your friend.

InvisibleSixCee
keep rolling
Male

Loc: US, Chicago
Re: Allergies to fungus [Re: Catharsis]
    #2321678 - 02/10/04 03:19 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I too am allergic to that stuff.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
-->The above statements may or not be true.
->Quote of the Moment :
"Yea. All bitches are whores who love sex." -Cubie
----> PMs checked daily.

Offlinedjd586
Underpants Gnome

#2322422 - 02/10/04 09:45 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Same Kingdom, different phylum, class, order, family, species.

Penicillin is an "Imperfect Fungi" in the phylum Deuteromycota. The 25,000 species in the phylum are consider "left overs" that don't fit into any of the other phylums. In time, different classification methods with bring forth new ways of classifing these buggers.

Hallucengenic mushrooms are in the phylum Basidiomycota, the "Club Fungi." The two phylums are vary loosely related to each other.

Look at it this way... just because someone might be allergic to a tomato, doesn't mean that they will be allergic to an accorn. Both are fruit bodies that are produce by species in the Kingdom Plantae, but are very different in many aspects.

Anyhow, better safe then sorry. It'd be best to set up an appointment with an allergist. Then your friend can know for sure what he is allergic to.

--------------------

Phase 1... collect underpants... phase 2...??? ... Phase 3 - PROFIT!

Offlinellamaboy
the weasel thatsnagged the bee

Loc: Portland PNW
Re: Allergies to fungus [Re: djd586]
    #2322957 - 02/10/04 11:37 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

also, it should be noted that almost all(if not ALL) antibiotics are from fungi. if you're allergic to penicillan, as a lotof people are, they're give you another AB, which is also a fungal derivative.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
    #2323033 - 02/10/04 11:53 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Allergies to mushrooms stick within genus. So if you're allergic to the regular button mushrooms from the grocery store you should avoid or be *very* cautious with any mushrooms from the genus Agaricus. But the risks when eating mushrooms from other genera should be no different than for any other person.

Having said that, it is standard practice among those who eat wild mushrooms to eat the first sample of a species you've never eaten before very cautiously. The official version is that you should eat a piece no larger than a fingernail and wait overnight. If you're going to have a bad reaction then you'll notice it with that amount and within that amount of time (there are some exceptions to this rule, but they're for those who are trying some of the more unusual wild mushrooms, for example Cortinarius species). If you have no reaction, then you can up the amount you eat with minimal risk.

You should realize also that most reactions to mushrooms are not allergic reactions. Most people who have problems show symptoms of nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea, and they are more properly called idiosyncratic reactions. While unpleasant they are rarely life threatening.

True food allergies are very severe and can be life threatening. A severe food allergy can result in anaphylactic shock and death within minutes.

Going back to the original question, Penicillium is only distantly related to any kinds of mushrooms. So allergies to penicillin (or Penicillium) should not leave you at higher risk for allergies to mushrooms.

Being cautious is cheap and easy and helps eliminate any risk. It's not a bad idea for everybody to limit themselves to a tiny sample the first time.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies