Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleMostly_HarmlessM
wyrd bið ful aræd
Male User Gallery

Loc: Perfidious Albion Flag
Cannabis arteritis: Australian diagnosed with marijuana-related disease that can cause loss of limb
    #23208539 - 05/10/16 01:53 AM (7 years, 10 months ago)

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/cannabis-arteritis-first-australian-diagnosed-marijuana-related-disease-loss-limb-amputation-a7020251.html

Quote:

Man will have to take aspirin as a blood thinner for the rest of his life

An Australian man who smokes up to a gram of cannabis per day has narrowly escaped amputation after becoming the first in the country to be diagnosed with a rare disease linked to cannabis use.

After an ulcer on his toe failed to heal, the heavy cannabis user consulted Frankston Hospital in Melbourne, where he was diagnosed with cannabis arteritis, an extremely rare disease which causes a build-up of plaque around the arteries, thereby decreasing blood flow to the limbs.

The patient, who has not been identified, was treated with a balloon angioplasty, where a collapsed balloon, known as a balloon catheter, is placed in the area which is constricted in order to inflate it to a healthy size.

He will also have to take aspirin, a blood thinner, for the rest of his life, according to reports in the Sunday Morning Herald.

Smoking cannabis can cause blood vessels to tighten, which increases resistance and contributes to an increasing amount of plaque building up around the arteries, thereby narrowing the artery itself.

Cannabis arteritis occurs when the constriction of arteries reduces blood flow to the affected limbs, which can lead to death of cells, called necrosis. Severe cases of necrosis can lead to necessary amputation.

Very similar symptoms can be seen in patients suffering from Bueger’s disease, which is strongly linked to tobacco use.

Although fewer than 100 cases of the disease have ever been recorded, Dr Soon, of the Royal College of Australasian Surgeons, said medical professionals should still remain alert.

“Due to the increase in cannabis usage and the legalisation of medicinal cannabis, awareness of the condition is important and may become a growing problem in the future,” he told the Annual Scientific Congress.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblenice1returns
I am the Holy Shit
 User Gallery

Loc: miwuaki Flag
Re: Cannabis arteritis: Australian diagnosed with marijuana-related disease that can cause loss of limb [Re: Mostly_Harmless]
    #23208809 - 05/10/16 04:48 AM (7 years, 10 months ago)

Isn't that just smoking clogging up the arteries?  :confused: If it is then its not anything to do with cannabis specifically.

OfflineMcNel

Re: Cannabis arteritis: Australian diagnosed with marijuana-related disease that can cause loss of limb [Re: nice1returns]
    #23208815 - 05/10/16 04:53 AM (7 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

nice1returns said:
Isn't that just smoking clogging up the arteries?  :confused: If it is then its not anything to do with cannabis specifically.

:whathesaid:

Offlinetryptkaloids
Learner
I'm a teapot

Loc: Exact Center
Re: Cannabis arteritis: Australian diagnosed with marijuana-related disease that can cause loss of limb [Re: McNel]
    #23209178 - 05/10/16 08:03 AM (7 years, 10 months ago)

I wonder if vaping your weed or dabbing change the likelihood of this

--------------------
"Remember, kids, the difference between science and screwing around is writing it down" -adam savage
Flowchart for Recommended plan of action.
Learn the tried and true way to grow mushrooms
Use the Damn search engine
After you know what you're doing, take a break 
Pick a book, Make some chips!
Josex said:Don't take the site seriously bro, ain't worth it.

Invisible36fuckin5
Alchemycologist

Loc: Diving into Mystical Territori...
Re: Cannabis arteritis: Australian diagnosed with marijuana-related disease that can cause loss of limb [Re: tryptkaloids]
    #23209194 - 05/10/16 08:12 AM (7 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

tryptkaloids said:
I wonder if vaping your weed or dabbing change the likelihood of this

Nope. It's an effect of THC.

--------------------
Redd Foxx said:
If you're offended I don't give a shit and don't come see me no more.

Pat The Bunny said:
A punk rock song won't ever change the world, but I can tell you about a couple that changed me.

bodhisatta said:
i recommend common sense and figuring it out.

These are the TEKs I use. They're all as cheap and easy as possible, just like your mom.

Invisiblegeffer
Dude
Male

Re: Cannabis arteritis: Australian diagnosed with marijuana-related disease that can cause loss of limb [Re: tryptkaloids] * 1
    #23209199 - 05/10/16 08:15 AM (7 years, 10 months ago)

It's probably something that only people with some rare gene mutation are susceptible to since millions of people have smoked more than a gram a day for years

Offlinetryptkaloids
Learner
I'm a teapot

Re: Cannabis arteritis: Australian diagnosed with marijuana-related disease that can cause loss of limb [Re: geffer]
    #23209208 - 05/10/16 08:18 AM (7 years, 10 months ago)

I'm not sure that statement is entirely true 36

--------------------
"Remember, kids, the difference between science and screwing around is writing it down" -adam savage

Invisible404
error
 User Gallery

Re: Cannabis arteritis: Australian diagnosed with marijuana-related disease that can cause loss of limb [Re: tryptkaloids]
    #23209388 - 05/10/16 09:16 AM (7 years, 10 months ago)

smoking it is certainly not good for you. cannabis smoke contains both carbon monoxide and benzene, both are harmful and the latter is a known carcinogen.

https://www.erowid.org/plants/cannabis/cannabis_info3.shtml

as for atherosclerosis, the disease is more attributed to the smoke rather than just the nicotine in cigs, so i would imagine that ingested cannabis is far less toxic than smoked as there's no tar

Invisibledurian_2008
Cornucopian Eating an Elephant
 User Gallery

Loc: Raccoon City
    #23209409 - 05/10/16 09:24 AM (7 years, 10 months ago)

http://www.livestrong.com/article/395736-does-caffeine-constrict-blood-vessels/

Subsidized doctor's checklist:
Were you doing anything that breaks the law?
Have you disregarded any warning labels, recommended allowances, or informal policies of the state?

Sometimes, you say that drugs have a side effect. That seems rational.

Other times, you wonder whether the doctor was investigating mattress tags and unpaid parking tickets.

Invisible404
error
 User Gallery

Re: Cannabis arteritis: Australian diagnosed with marijuana-related disease that can cause loss of limb [Re: durian_2008]
    #23209426 - 05/10/16 09:29 AM (7 years, 10 months ago)

vasoconstriction doesn't directly lead to atherosclerosis.

OfflineCosmicAdventurer
Dr Getafix?
 User Gallery

Re: Cannabis arteritis: Australian diagnosed with marijuana-related disease that can cause loss of limb [Re: durian_2008] * 1
    #23209427 - 05/10/16 09:29 AM (7 years, 10 months ago)

Australia is #1 for misdiagnosis in the western world.. Just because some hospital in Melbourne says so doesn't mean squawt. What a crock of BS.

Invisible404
error
 User Gallery

Re: Cannabis arteritis: Australian diagnosed with marijuana-related disease that can cause loss of limb [Re: CosmicAdventurer]
    #23210039 - 05/10/16 11:31 AM (7 years, 10 months ago)

I doubt it's complete bs, as the tar and other shit in the smoke are also in ciga which cause the atherosclerosis, so i imagine it's also plausible with cannabis smoke as well.

Offlinekrishnalove
ᕙ(░ಥ╭͜ʖ╮ಥ░)━☆゚.*・。゚
I'm a teapot

Re: Cannabis arteritis: Australian diagnosed with marijuana-related disease that can cause loss of limb [Re: 404]
    #23210737 - 05/10/16 03:19 PM (7 years, 10 months ago)

shit, i smoke way more than a gram a day.  i'm fucked boys.

InvisibleGlameow
 User Gallery

Loc: Ireland Flag
Re: Cannabis arteritis: Australian diagnosed with marijuana-related disease that can cause loss of limb [Re: krishnalove]
    #23210867 - 05/10/16 04:08 PM (7 years, 10 months ago)

I have to wonder, if it's cannabis. .or cannabis with tobacco.

I know Australia needs to settle it's populace into accepting medicinal products containing cannabis and not the actual plant Ppeople were hoping would be legalized.

Makes me wonder if the political agenda uis what's behind this "rare condition ".

Invisible404
error
 User Gallery

Re: Cannabis arteritis: Australian diagnosed with marijuana-related disease that can cause loss of limb [Re: Glameow]
    #23210895 - 05/10/16 04:19 PM (7 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

From: Institute of Medicine, Marijuana and Health, Washington,D.C.
National Academy Press, 1988

"The smoke from any burning plant contains hundreds of chemicals that may have biological effects . . ."

"Cannabis smoke is similar to tobacco smoke in that it is a mixture of very small particles and a gas-vapor phase. Both the particulate and vapor phases contain many identified and probably some still unidentified constituents that, based on clinical experience with tobacco smoke, must be assumed to be potentially harmful. The amounts of some materials in tobacco cigarete and marijuana cigarette smoke are compared in Table 3. Toxic substances, such as carbon monoxide, hydrogen cyanide, and nitrosamines occur in similar concentrations in tobacco and marijuana smoke; so do the amounts of particulate material known collectively as "tars"." (pg 15)

[Editorial comment by Jon Gettman: The cancer risk in the most part comes from the smoke, not from the cannabinoids. This is an artifact of the delivery system, not the drug (it comes from burning the plant material, not the cannabinoids). As many of you know, THC has a lower vaporization temperature than the plant material it is contained in, and as Lester Grinspoos and others often point out, a vaporizer could be designed to vaporize the cannabinoids without burning the plant material and producing smoke filled with tars and other particulate matter. Also, the composition of the plant and its smoke has been known since the 1970's, and this didn't prevent Leo Hollister and the National Academy of Sciences from noting that marijuana has therapeutic potential.]

Table 3 : Marijuana and Tobacco Reference Cigarette Analysis of Mainstream Smoke (pg 17)

Strange Abbr: mcg: microgram C? : known Carcinogen (X means yes)

A.Cigarettes
Units Marijuana Tobacco
(85mm) (85mm)
Average Weight (mg) 1115 1110
Mositure (%) 10.3 11.1
Pressure Drop cm 14.7 7.2
Static Burning rate mg/s 0.88 0.80
Puff Number 10.7 11.1

B.Mainstream Smoke
I. Gas Phase Units Marijuana Tobacco
Carbon Monoxide % 3.99 4.58
mg 17.6 20.2
Carbon Dioxide % 8.27 9.38
mg 57.3 65.0
Ammonia mcg 228 199
HCN mcg 532 498
Cyanogen (CN)2 mcg 19 20
Isoprene mcg 83 310
Acetaldehyde mcg 1200 980
Acetone mcg 443 578
Acrolein mcg 92 85
Acetonitrilebenzene mcg 132 123
Benzene mcg 76 67
Toluene mcg 112 108
Vinyl chloride ng 5.4 12.4
Dimethylnitrosamine ng 75 84
Methylethylnitrosamine ng 27 30
pH, third puff 6.56 6.14
fifth puff 6.57 6.15
seventh puff 6.58 6.14
ninth puff 6.56 6.10
tenth puff 6.58 6.02

II. Particulate phase Units Marijuana Tobacco
Tl particulate - dry mg 22.7 39.0
Phenol mcg 76.8 138.5
o-Cresol mcg 17.9 24
m- and p-Cresol mcg 54.4 65
Dimethylphenol mcg 6.8 14.4
Catechol mcg 188 328
Cannabidiol mcg 190
D9 THC mcg 820
Cannabinol mcg 400
Nicotine mcg 2850
N-Nitrosonornicotine ng 390
Naphthalene mcg 3.0 1.2
1-Methylnaphthalene mcg 6.1 3.65
2-Methylnaphthalese mcg 3.6 1.4
Benz(a)anthracene ng 75 43
Benzo(a)pyrene ng 31 21.1

and then this:
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0735109704004346

it is likely the tar and shit that's in cannabis smoke, it's hella plausible.

Offlinetryptkaloids
Learner
I'm a teapot

Re: Cannabis arteritis: Australian diagnosed with marijuana-related disease that can cause loss of limb [Re: 404]
    #23212121 - 05/10/16 09:42 PM (7 years, 10 months ago)

so, therefore extracts are fine and volcanoes are fine. I wouldn't trust any other vaporizer

--------------------

OfflineLSDreams
Contemplative Stoner
Male

Loc: Stuck in 3rd Dimension
Re: Cannabis arteritis: Australian diagnosed with marijuana-related disease that can cause loss of limb [Re: Glameow]
    #23212403 - 05/10/16 11:18 PM (7 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Glameow said:
I have to wonder, if it's cannabis. .or cannabis with tobacco.

Very possible, as the mix is very common.

Regardless of whether its straight weed or mixed, im sure his issue lies within many prolonged bad health choices.

Also, I always thought thc/cbd were vasodilators.

Quote:

Summary - Cardiovascular effects of Cannabis:

Cannabis increases heart rate in na•ve users although tolerance develops to this effect.

Cannabinoids can also reduce blood pressure via arteriollar dilatation in a variety of tissues, although the effect on blood flow varies at a local level, with some organs or brain regions experiencing vasoconstriction, others vasodilation.

In the withdrawal phase following cessation of chronic use, cerebral blood flow may be significantly reduced.

Cannabis use has been implicated as a causative factor in a small number of patients suffering strokes or transient ischaemic attacks, and may represent a risk factor to susceptible individuals.

However cannabinoids, in particular CB1-receptor agonists, have been shown to protect against nerve cell death following stroke, and dexanabinol at an advanced stage of the licensing process as a drug to be administered to victims of stroke or closed-head injuries to minimise the long-term brain damage caused by such events, and to improve survival and recovery prospects.
http://www.idmu.co.uk/canncardio.htm

but apparently it does both..

--------------------

Plants of Interest ~ Lemon Balm, Cannabis, Ayahuasca, Datura, Salvia divinorum, Tabernanthe iboga, Opium poppy, Kratom, Khat, Coca, Ipomoea tricolor, Psilocybin mushrooms, Peyote ~ :peace: 

Invisiblepablokabute
Hari ng Amag
 User Gallery

Loc: rural ghetto
Re: Cannabis arteritis: Australian diagnosed with marijuana-related disease that can cause loss of limb [Re: krishnalove]
    #23213054 - 05/11/16 05:34 AM (7 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

krishnalove said:
shit, i smoke way more than a gram a day.  i'm fucked boys.

Harebol!

--------------------

Fermented Mushrooms!!
--- https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/23378638/fpart/1/vc/1

'The second seal: “All CONTAMINATED things and events are unsatisfactory.”'

"I envy you. You North Americans are very lucky. You are fighting the most important fight of all - you live in THE HEART OF THE BEAST."

--Anonymous Guerilla, or is he..

Invisiblepablokabute
Hari ng Amag
 User Gallery

Loc: rural ghetto
Re: Cannabis arteritis: Australian diagnosed with marijuana-related disease that can cause loss of limb [Re: pablokabute]
    #23213056 - 05/11/16 05:36 AM (7 years, 10 months ago)

go edibles .

hehe.

ya man I thought weed was a vasodilator wtf just happened. must be tar or something.

--------------------

Fermented Mushrooms!!
--- https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/23378638/fpart/1/vc/1

'The second seal: “All CONTAMINATED things and events are unsatisfactory.”'

"I envy you. You North Americans are very lucky. You are fighting the most important fight of all - you live in THE HEART OF THE BEAST."

--Anonymous Guerilla, or is he..

OfflineBobabouy
Shrimp Boat Captain
Male

Loc: The Black Sea
Re: Cannabis arteritis: Australian diagnosed with marijuana-related disease that can cause loss of limb [Re: pablokabute]
    #23213061 - 05/11/16 05:38 AM (7 years, 10 months ago)

Horse Shit.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals