Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleMycoFactory
Mr MycoBag

Loc: NC, USA
Fact or Fiction: It is safe to cool down a cooker with water
    #2318465 - 02/09/04 03:59 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Fiction! Do not do this. If you have done this or still do please stop, it is dangerous.

The instruction manual for All American Cookers has a !WARNING, this !warning is also on a large orange sticker on the front of the cooker. It reads in part:
#4 Never move a cooker while under pressure.
#5 Never quick cool unit with water.

Also on the inside cover of the manual it has a list of cautions.
#15 reads:
Do not subject your cooker/canner to sudden extreme temperature changes as this will cause expansion or contraction which can crack a cast aluminum utensil. Do not move a cooker from cold storage area directly onto a hot flame or element. Do not add cold water to a cooker/canner which has boiled dry and is still hot. Do not cool a hot cooker/canner suddenly by pouring cold water on it or wrapping cold towels around it.

SAVE THESE INSTUCTIONS

A public service message from
MycoBag

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleTheDrugStore

Loc: Hawaii Flag
Re: Fact or Fiction: It is safe to cool down a cooker with water [Re: MycoFactory]
    #2318526 - 02/09/04 04:16 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks for the info... Im not that impatient though.

--------------------
Penalties against drug use should not be more damaging to an individual than the use of the drug itself. Nowhere is this more clear than in the laws against the possession of marijuana and mushrooms in private for personal use.

Anonymous

Re: Fact or Fiction: It is safe to cool down a cooker with water [Re: MycoFactory]
    #2318553 - 02/09/04 04:22 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I've never done it but it seemed like a bad idea to me its possible you could crack the cooker and then boom I would imagine

OfflineOmegaRed
Myco-Floydianenthusiast

Loc: right behind you
Re: Fact or Fiction: It is safe to cool down a cooker with water [Re: ]
    #2318565 - 02/09/04 04:26 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah I agree with bluethumb, I've never read the instructions for mine but it sounds like a bad idea anyways, so I've never done it.

--------------------
Hey Mr. Tamborine Man play a song for me,
I'm not sleepy and there's no place I'm going to.
Hey Mr. Tamborine Man play a song for me,
In the jingle jangle morning I'll come following you.

InvisibleChe_Night_Soil
Koinoniphobic

Loc: Commonslaughtia
    #2318645 - 02/09/04 04:51 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Oh, man. That means someone out there dunked their cooker and probably injured him/herself in the process.

--------------------
if(human==autoPart){
for(i=1;i<infinity;i++){
getBorn(mind,soul);
getEdu(mind,soul);
getJob(mind,soul);
retire(mind,soul);
die(mind,soul);
}
}

Offlinedaywalker
Do you dream in color?

Loc: in my skin
    #2318706 - 02/09/04 05:09 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I would like to see this on Mythbusters! :laugh:

--------------------
"I suggest we ... learn to love our ... selves before it ... becomes illegal."

Anonymous

Re: Fact or Fiction: It is safe to cool down a cooker with water [Re: daywalker]
    #2318889 - 02/09/04 05:57 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

good call I'd also like to see that!

InvisibleMycoFactory
Mr MycoBag

Re: Fact or Fiction: It is safe to cool down a cooker with water [Re: daywalker]
    #2319063 - 02/09/04 06:43 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

daywalker said:
I would like to see this on Mythbusters! :laugh:

ok, I've done my part.  Myth Busters fourm

Now we can wait and see.

MycoBag

OfflineExtravagantDream
Beacon in theDarkness
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere in the Local Su...
    #2319082 - 02/09/04 06:47 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

"Some of the public is misinformed on this danger."

Some of the public is also subject to natural selection :lol:

Offlinedaywalker
Do you dream in color?

Loc: in my skin
Re: Fact or Fiction: It is safe to cool down a cooker with water [Re: ExtravagantDream]
    #2319146 - 02/09/04 07:01 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Sweet!  :lol:

--------------------
"I suggest we ... learn to love our ... selves before it ... becomes illegal."

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #2320023 - 02/09/04 11:16 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I'd like to see them do the one about hot teflon putting off fumes that kill birds.

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

OfflineMex
Mother Earth
Male

Loc: ITA ~ Earth ~ 13:20
Re: Fact or Fiction: It is safe to cool down a cooker with water [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #2320391 - 02/10/04 01:41 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I made it... :smile:

--------------------

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Loc: Mod not God Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #2320403 - 02/10/04 01:48 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Some cooking pressure cookers can be put under water (just make sure to check the directions first)... the ones with the pan handles.

Crab for example must be quickly removed from the pc... you must pour cool water over it so you can open the pc before the crab overcooks.

All American's on the other hand... DO NOT PUT THEM UNDER THE TAP.

If your PC has glass inside... DO NOT PUT IT UNDER THE TAP.

You may wish to ammend your post at myth busters.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #2320409 - 02/10/04 01:50 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

First: in mushroom cultivation one should NEVER force cool down things, it is bad for the jars and more so for the exact water content of the substrates since water evaporates when force cooling.

Second: I think this NEVER FORCE COOL YOUR PRESSURE COOKER is only valid for certain types of pressure cookers.
I have one made of steel and the cooking direction EXPLICITLY say to force cool under water when cooking fast dishes to stop the coking process after a certain amount of time.

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: Fact or Fiction: It is safe to cool down a cooker with water [Re: Anno]
    #2320448 - 02/10/04 02:13 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I'm taking a metalurgy class.

Ask me what the correct answer is in 3 months.

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
Re: Fact or Fiction: It is safe to cool down a cooker with water [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #2321148 - 02/10/04 12:48 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

as usual, anno is entirely correct.

i have a presto (pan handle style) that has directions for forced cooling

i have an AA with specific cautions to not do that, ever

i have experience with force cooling pc'd jars. i didn't have any moisture content probs but anno is still right. simple physics tell us that water will boil out of the jars under rapid cooling, in fact, releasing the stopcock while the PC is still pressurised achieves the same undesired effect. IOW, the best method for insuring that your jar water content remains the same throughout the sterilisation process (and jars don't get cracked) is to allow the thing to cool, sealed, until 0psi is reached.

another tip is to drain the "head" off the PC as it is heating up. this accomplished by waiting until the PC builds some pressure (say 7 or 8psi) then draining the pressure back to 0psi. this technique insures that temps/psi are accurately reflected by the guage.

while i waited for the server to get off it's knees so i could submit this post i pondered why some PCs can be force cooled with water. PCs with glass in them are obvious nonos for as rapidly dropping glass from 250F-<212F is a guaranteed way to break it and i can only imagine what a mess a pressurised glass cover does when it breaks. Rubber sealed, aluminum cookers can be forced cooled precisely because of the rubber seal. That seal maintains it's seal even tho the "lid" and container pieces are contracting/expanding differently. The AA type (they are the only all metal seals AFAIK) needs to be more or less the same temperature in the "lid" and container pieces to maintain a seal. Should the container piece contract due to water cooling while the lid remains more or less expanded from latent heat the metal seal could fail. i would miagine this would result in a rather large outpouring of hot steam from around the lid and maybe the lid getting blown off. i am uncertain about the claim that the aluminum would crack but it sounds feasible and rather nasty.

BTW, long time no post in this forum, i see lots of new faces. /waves

InvisibleMycoFactory
Mr MycoBag

Re: Fact or Fiction: It is safe to cool down a cooker with water [Re: Anno]
    #2321471 - 02/10/04 02:21 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Well it is good that there is some solid facts on this.
Aluminum is a no no.
steel is ok in some cookers. I still wonder about metal fatigue leading to failure in these metal units.
I continue to recommend against this practice regardless of the make and model, just for the safe ty factor.
Of course if it says you can do this in your manual it is that manufacturer who has done the testing and has the responsibility of liability issues.

I just do not want to see someone hurt from it.

MycoBag

InvisibleTremor1127
Mental Member
Male

Loc: In a Van Down By the Rive...
Post deleted by Administrator [Re: MycoFactory]
    #2321640 - 02/10/04 03:06 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Offlineonthefly
Will spin forpills

Loc: Midwest
Re: Fact or Fiction: It is safe to cool down a cooker with w [Re: Tremor1127]
    #2321668 - 02/10/04 03:16 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I have a Mirro 22qt and it recomends using cool water to cool it down when cooking vegetables. Works pretty well and i havent had problems with jars losing moisture.

InvisibleMycoFactory
Mr MycoBag

#2321817 - 02/10/04 07:39 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Aluminum conducts heat (& cold) better than steel, perhaps this is part of the reason that rapid cooling of aluminum will cause a danger.

You can test this conductivity by placing an ice cube on a aluminum pan (the thicker the better) . The ice will melt very quickly and "dance" around as it melts. Steel will not have this effect with an ice cube.

MycoBag

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck