Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleSpitballJedi
Ancient Astronaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: Nibiru Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Just some casing and FC trials
    #23145442 - 04/22/16 08:41 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

I’ll be doing two preliminary trials here: A casing recipe and a FC idea.

This is mostly for my own edification. I haven’t messed with casings much and wanted to try some stuff out because I have a bunch of things I’m not using for anything else. This is not a tek, just some basic initial trials.

I really just want to see how long it takes for this potential casing recipe to contaminate and how well it may hold moisture. It’s also in a test FC as well so I can start getting an idea of how it works, FAE and RH, before I commit to it. For testing the FC, I also have a substrate mock up I’ll be posting here, too.

Again, these are just some preliminary trials to see if I can use up some extra materials, especially the coir and perlite. There is no spawn or culture here, just casing materials, so you won’t see any shrooms. For trial purposes, there is no substrate under the casing either.

The idea i’m rolling around is using lime to combat contamination of the coir. The lime is just sitting around going to waste, so why not? Also, not heat treating it makes it harder for the myc to colonize it and I think the lime will, too.

Casing Trial:

Here’s the casing recipe:

I mixed this all up using hot tap water. I didn’t sterilize or treat this casing in any other way.

Coir        80g
Gypsum      1/2 cup
Perlite     2 cups
Verm     1 qt
Hydr. Lime  1 tsp
Water     1 qt
Total:   ~3 qts casing material

This is about perfect for the size of my tubs to have ~1/2” casing layer.

Day 1:

Here's the casing just spread out in the tray to check out how much it covers and how deep. :thumbup:

My plan is to try and maximize FAE and keep it hydrated to normal fruiting levels by misting when needed and see how long it takes to show contamination.

Here’s my fake toy GH/upside-down fake mono I'm also trying with the casing material in it. More on that later.

Day 3:
After 24 hours, I removed the loose poly. It has now been 24 hours since I removed the poly and there is no condensation on the walls and only 1* temperature difference inside and outside the FC at substrate level. With the loose poly, there was a very thin almost invisible layer of condensation,At substrate level, my cheep hygrometer reads 90%. There are no signs of drying on the surface of the casing and I have not misted. I got my meter today and the pH is ~7.1.

Day 9:
I've misted a couple of times and the casing isn't showing any signs of contamination. It's still damp, but not at field capacity.

I added a bunch of water to get it up to field capacity.

FC/Sub Trial:

Substrate recipe:

Coir    650g (1 brick)
Verm    2 qts
Water    5 qts

Day 1:

I just boiled the water and poured it on the coir and verm in a cooler. Waited 30 mins, then mixed it up. Then, I let it sit an hour and cracked the lid to cool. The next day, I dumped in a tray and put in my FC.

This is an upside-down tote with a tray inside. The tote has a hole at each end at the top with loose poly. I'm depending the imperfect lid for FA to come in from below and escape from the holes in top.

I'll update some more info when I get home; I didn't realize the time and have to be somewhere.

Day 3:
After the first 24 hours, there was a heavy layer of condensation on the walls and only 1* difference in temperature between inside and outside of the FC. The condensation was only heavy above the top of the tray. Below the top, it appeared dry. so, I removed the loose poly and now, after 24 hours, it looks like this:

It's hard to see, but there is still some condensation on the walls up high. What this tells me is air is coming in from the bottom because it's drying from the bottom up. The sub shows no signs of drying and it has not been misted.

Day 6:I have not misted the substrate and it's not quite field capacity, but the surface doesn't appear to be dry. Signs of mold appeared.

Day 9:
Mold is growing slowly. I'm going to let it grow a little to try and identify it. Pics to come in a couple of days.
The dynamics will change, of course, once I'm working with actual spawn. I expect FAE to increase once the heat from metabolism is added and I suspect the addition of myc will, in combination with increased FAE, also combat mold. I will also be using a better quality coir, so that may help, too.

pH Stuff:

I got my pH meter today and checked the casing, with teaspoon of lime, and it reads barely over 7, like 7.1. The CV in the other tub, no lime, reads 6.75. I just wanted a base measure to get an idea of how much the lime impacted the pH. Also, before I left the house earlier, I mixed 2 cups verm, 1 tsp lime, and 1 cup water. About 3 hours later, the pH is 7.5. Being as I'm aiming for an initial pH of 7.5, I will make up a small batch with 1 tsp lie per cup of casing and see what the pH is.

I'll post another update when something worth mentioning happens. My intuition says it will be to report needing to mist or it shows contamination. I'll update in a few days even if it's just to say nothing has changed.

I’m very aware of all the arguments about the contamination of coir. This is Eco-Earth and I personally no longer trust it as a substrate. I find all kinds of stuff in it and I think it’s the source of some of my contamination. I’m going to start using higher quality coir from the hydro shop. If you’re using Eco-earth, or any other brand of pet bedding without issues, great, that’s your experience and we aren’t going to argue about it here because I’ve moved past it. Go somewhere else and argue about how contam resistant coir is.

A 5K block of coir at the hydro shop is also cheaper than buying 650g bricks by the 3-pack.

Other than arguing about coir or telling me to use peat, feel free to ask questions, offer suggestions, or point out potential laws.

May the force be with you---SBJ

--------------------
The Basics
A little civility goes a long way

The Noob Forum
The Hammock Hangers' Forum

Edited by SpitballJedi (05/01/16 10:38 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineHierophant
Ritualistic Mystic
Male User Gallery

Re: Just some casing and FC trials [Re: SpitballJedi]
    #23145464 - 04/22/16 08:48 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Do you use a lining around your sub?

--------------------
There is a golden book kept in my heart and guarded by my soul, written in Divine Light and bound with the veins of the Earth.

InvisibleSpitballJedi
Ancient Astronaut
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Just some casing and FC trials [Re: Hierophant]
    #23145498 - 04/22/16 08:58 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Yes, I do. I won't be here though because I'm not actually growing anything.

--------------------
The Basics

The Noob Forum

InvisibleMunchauzen
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #23145512 - 04/22/16 09:02 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

:goodluck::popcorn:

InvisibleSpitballJedi
Ancient Astronaut
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Just some casing and FC trials [Re: Munchauzen]
    #23145636 - 04/22/16 09:41 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

:thumbup:

--------------------
The Basics

The Noob Forum

InvisiblebodhisattaMDiscordReddit
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Trusted Cultivator
    #23145692 - 04/22/16 09:57 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

limed, not heat treated coir, I like it.

you've used straight vermiculite before right?

InvisibleSpitballJedi
Ancient Astronaut
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Just some casing and FC trials [Re: bodhisatta]
    #23145775 - 04/22/16 10:24 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Yes and it worked fine. I have a lot of bricks though. Actually, I have a lot of verm too, but I will still use it in the subs.

I tried to find some other posts with limed coir casings, but I couldn't. I didn't search very long. I'm thinking of picking up some pH strips tomorrow to test it.

--------------------
The Basics

The Noob Forum

Edited by SpitballJedi (04/22/16 10:26 PM)

Offlinetwistedty
Forcefully Retired
Male User Gallery

Loc: Middle
    #23146069 - 04/23/16 01:08 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

SpitballJedi said:
Yes and it worked fine. I have a lot of bricks though. Actually, I have a lot of verm too, but I will still use it in the subs.

I tried to find some other posts with limed coir casings, but I couldn't. I didn't search very long. I'm thinking of picking up some pH strips tomorrow to test it.

:havesomescience:

OfflineNewZooReview
Your Dad's Friend
Male User Gallery

Re: Just some casing and FC trials [Re: twistedty]
    #23146531 - 04/23/16 08:39 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

:threadmonitor:

--------------------

Happiness is a rack of clean jars.

InvisibleSpitballJedi
Ancient Astronaut
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Just some casing and FC trials [Re: NewZooReview]
    #23150515 - 04/24/16 03:32 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

I updated the OP:

Quote:

FC Trial:

Substrate recipe:

Coir    650g (1 brick)
Verm    2 qts
Water    5 qts

Day 1:

I just boiled the water and poured it on the coir and verm in a cooler. Waited 30 mins, then mixed it up. Then, I let it sit an hour and cracked the lid to cool. The next day, I dumped in a tray and put in my FC.

This is an upside down tote with a tray inside. The tote has a hole at each end at the top with loose poly. I'm depending the imperfect lid for FA to come in from below and escape from the holes in top.

I'll update some more info when I get home; I didn't realize the time and have to be somewhere.

--------------------
The Basics

The Noob Forum

InvisibleMunchauzen
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #23150549 - 04/24/16 03:46 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

i like the new look spj

InvisibleZiran
The Hero of Time
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Temple of Time
    #23150683 - 04/24/16 04:32 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

that setup looks 100000 times simpler than a sgfc. alot less holes to do as well.

--------------------
Song Of Healing
:super: Updated Pf Tek Guide :super:
Ziran's Teks
AMU Q&A Thread
The Chinese word for nature is zìrán and it means that of which is of itself.

Invisibledankington
The Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 8te
Re: Just some casing and FC trials [Re: Ziran]
    #23150703 - 04/24/16 04:40 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

:compelling:
Thanks for sharing SBJ! This is going to be interesting

InvisibleJosex
#cheat_code
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Just some casing and FC trials [Re: dankington]
    #23150787 - 04/24/16 05:10 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Posting to see how this turns out... interesting :thumbup:

InvisibleSpitballJedi
Ancient Astronaut
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #23151503 - 04/24/16 08:36 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Updated the OP:
Quote:

Day 3:
After 24 hours, I removed the loose poly. It has now been 24 hours since I removed the poly and there is no condensation on the walls and only 1* temperature difference inside and outside the FC at substrate level. With the loose poly, there was a very thin almost invisible layer of condensation,At substrate level, my cheep hygrometer reads 90%. There are no signs of drying on the surface of the casing and I have not misted. I got my meter today and the pH is ~7.1.

Quote:

Day 3:
After the first 24 hours, there was a heavy layer of condensation on the walls and only 1* difference in temperature between inside and outside of the FC. The condensation was only heavy above the top of the tray. Below the top, it appeared dry. so, I removed the loose poly and now, after 24 hours, it looks like this:

It's hard to see, but there is still some condensation on the walls up high. What this tells me is air is coming in from the bottom because it's drying from the bottom up. The sub shows no signs of drying and it has not been misted.

pH Stuff:

I got my pH meter today and checked the casing, with teaspoon of lime, and it reads barely over 7, like 7.1. The CV in the other tub, no lime, reads 6.75. I just wanted a base measure to get an idea of how much the lime impacted the pH. Also, before I left the house earlier, I mixed 2 cups verm, 1 tsp lime, and 1 cup water. About 3 hours later, the pH is 7.5. Being as I'm aiming for an initial pH of 7.5, I will make up a small batch with 1 tsp lie per cup of casing and see what the pH is.

I'll post another update when something worth mentioning happens. My intuition says it will be to report needing to mist or it shows contamination. I'll update in a few days even if it's just to say nothing has changed.

--------------------
The Basics

The Noob Forum

InvisibleSpitballJedi
Ancient Astronaut
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #23175786 - 05/01/16 10:40 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Updated the OP:

Quote:

Casing Trial:

Day 9:
I've misted a couple of times and the casing isn't showing any signs of contamination. It's still damp, but not at field capacity.

I added a bunch of water to get it up to field capacity.

Quote:

FC/Sub Trial:

Day 6:
I have not misted the substrate and it's not quite field capacity, but the surface doesn't appear to be dry. Signs of mold appeared.

Day 9:
Mold is growing slowly. I'm going to let it grow a little to try and identify it. Pics to come in a couple of days.
The dynamics will change, of course, once I'm working with actual spawn. I expect FAE to increase once the heat from metabolism is added and I suspect the addition of myc will, in combination with increased FAE, also combat mold. I will also be using a better quality coir, so that may help, too.

--------------------
The Basics

The Noob Forum

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag