Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisiblekaiowas
mndfrayze'speppet urme
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
the essence of you
    #2316112 - 02/09/04 12:13 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

in essence, what are we?? 

essence means that which is the inward nature.  the true substance, or the constitution of anything.

this is opposed to that which is accidental, phenominal, or illusionary.

it also implies that it's unvariable!!

sometimes I say rational mind...but no!

sometimes I say my ego...but no!

i ahve an idea but I want to hear others too. not to mention I have to leave right now.  I'll type up what I think tomorrow right after court!!! yah!!!!!! :grin:

I thank you for your input in advance  :loveeyes:

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.---senior doobie

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
Re: the essence of you [Re: kaiowas]
    #2316129 - 02/09/04 12:16 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I am an amorphous blob of experience.

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
    #2316140 - 02/09/04 12:19 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I thought i saw a glimpse of my essence the first time when i took mushrooms. But after that i thought, shit, im home! Mushrooms is like home! And i thought... wait... whats home? Is here home? Is sean home? Right here? Ohhh yeah! After the shrooms trip i had thought, DAMN, where DID those memories come from?! Ive seen that before!

the only part of my essence that i can see is that picture of a place that is seeded in my memory.

I wonder sometimes if you can sense peoples essence when you are around them and dont have a corrupted view. Just Experience. Let the essence float through you eyes, nose, ears, mouth, and skin.

--------------------
What?

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Re: the essence of you [Re: Sclorch]
    #2316145 - 02/09/04 12:20 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

ive seen you before!  :grin:

--------------------
What?

OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

Loc: : Gringo
    #2316156 - 02/09/04 12:21 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

People are too vast to quantify.

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
-- :meff:
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Re: the essence of you [Re: Zero7a1]
    #2316157 - 02/09/04 12:21 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Only part of me... from one angle.

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

#2316169 - 02/09/04 12:23 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I thought you were an amorphous blob? What are you talking about angles for?  :crazy2:

--------------------
What?

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #2316236 - 02/09/04 12:47 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

what makes me me is the recordings that my brain has made (no two human brains could EVER record the exact same data, at least not without strange, futuristic technology), and the slight genetic differences that makes it process slightly different than anybody else.

I think that pretty much covers individuality from my individual perspective

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

Invisibleraytrace
Stranger

#2316939 - 02/09/04 08:39 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I am an amorphous blob of experience. :thumbup:
can "you" be replicated?

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #2316940 - 02/09/04 08:39 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Ever try working out?

sclorch makes a great straight man for one-liners, eh?

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Edited by Swami (02/09/04 08:41 AM)

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Re: the essence of you [Re: Swami]
    #2317788 - 02/09/04 02:31 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Invisibleraytrace
Stranger

#2320692 - 02/10/04 09:54 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

This thread is too important to be neglected, so I'll bump it up and I will ask again the question that sclorch ignored, addressing it to anyone that is willing to think about it. The question is basically what kaiowas asked, only rephrased to not allow sidestepping. So:

Is it possible to produce an exact copy of "you"?

Invisiblekaiowas
mndfrayze'speppet urme
 User Gallery

#2324020 - 02/11/04 02:10 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

"what makes me me is the recordings that my brain has made (no two human brains could EVER record the exact same data, at least not without strange, futuristic technology), and the slight genetic differences that makes it process slightly different than anybody else."

To me, my body and mind are seperate from what is essentially me. there is something deep within all of us that allows us to be aware of what is going on.

Now I come to the way I act, and how I act, and why I act the way I do. This all has to do with character and my personality. But I realize that my character and personality is not what is essentially me. For the essence is is unvariable, and my essence exists. My persona is an act, not an actual entity.

There are many images that we try to personalize as us, unfortunately this oftentimes leaves us in the rhelm of negativity. I remember when I was younger and I noticed that I would get mad when I was shown wrong, or that my way wasn't the best way. I had an image of myself that i was smart, witty, and funny and a lot of the time I spend the majority of my energy trying to make sure that everyone saw that I was this way. I wasn't really aware of it until I realized that this wasn't really me. Every aspect of what we think or who we think we are leaves us vunerable.

how do we view ourselves? Remember it's a VIEW of ourselves, not what IS actually YOU. how we view ouselves creates the world around us. our personas that we identify ourselves with is demanded by the ego to act out acordingly. we want people to view us a certain way, and to react a certain way when we say certain things.

oftentimes we will play mind games with others, just so that we can assure ourselves that this is what we are. this "addictive behavior" always changes, and is an illusion. our ego tells us who we are, while our rational mind works frantically to show us why. This keeps the mind chattering away and keeps us emotionally attached, when in fact we are none of these things.

I then realized how useless it was for me to identify with each of these labels I had of myself. each of these personas that I had of myself kept changing, and since they do change my personality therfore not the essence of what I am. our persoanlities is not what our true nature is.

it's important to notice this because every label we choose to use for ourselves demands a lot from us. That is unless we witness what is happening from a deep place within oneself. what this means is that I see the "I" in me as a state of acting and not something that actually "IS" Realize this, and then it becoems clear that we are responsible with our own suffering. The self is and act because of the fact that it is dependent on what ideas you've been exposed to an your general attitude.

so what is the essential us?

we are the awareness that we are here. we are aware that we have a consciousness. this is the unchanging, true nature of ourselves.

once we realize this, we will soon realize the uselessness of trying to change our surroundings to fit our perspective, but rather flow with what's around us at this very moment. here we will just witness what is going on around us as a play, all of us acting out different roles. we don't need to become emotionally attached to all of this, and once we aren't we will reside within a peaceful and calm place within ourselves.

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.---senior doobie

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: the essence of you [Re: raytrace]
    #2324070 - 02/11/04 02:24 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Is it possible to produce an exact copy of "you"?

Most likely, yes in theory, though not technologically. It appears that memory may be directly related to the topography of neuronal connections, and the "weights" and "thresholds" (to borrow terms from computer AI) of neuronal firing impulses.

Replicate these and you will replicate the "essence" of the person just like copying a CD or software program.

--------------------

Offlinepeleg
Gypsy
Loc: Christ Light
    #2324117 - 02/11/04 02:35 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

doesnt' nature tell us that no two snowflakes are the same?

--------------------
"Well the first days are the hardest days." When life looks like easy street there is danger at your door.....

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: the essence of you [Re: peleg]
    #2324129 - 02/11/04 02:39 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

1. No one has looked at all snowflakes, catalogued them in a database and compared them.

2. The snowflakes are different because the initial conditions are different. How does this relate to making a copy?

--------------------

Invisiblekaiowas
mndfrayze'speppet urme
 User Gallery

#2324130 - 02/11/04 02:39 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

"Most likely, yes in theory, though not technologically. It appears that memory may be directly related to the topography of neuronal connections, and the "weights" and "thresholds" (to borrow terms from computer AI) of neuronal firing impulses"

so this is our true nature?

--------------------

Offlinepeleg
Gypsy
Loc: Christ Light
    #2324150 - 02/11/04 02:44 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

all im saying is that no two people are the same were all alike in soooo many ways yet sooooo diffrent as indivduals.

--------------------
"Well the first days are the hardest days." When life looks like easy street there is danger at your door.....

Invisiblekaiowas
mndfrayze'speppet urme
 User Gallery

Re: the essence of you [Re: raytrace]
    #2324157 - 02/11/04 02:45 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

"Is it possible to produce an exact copy of "you"? "

yes, there's copies of us being made all the time. each of us has an awareness, that which is what I believed to be our essence. it all depends on what persoanlity you identify yourself with. but our personality changes as we experience and so that is not the essence of us, or our true nature.

--------------------

Invisiblekaiowas
mndfrayze'speppet urme
 User Gallery

Re: the essence of you [Re: peleg]
    #2324159 - 02/11/04 02:46 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

"all im saying is that no two people are the same were all alike in soooo many ways yet sooooo diffrent as indivduals. "

I think you might be referring to personalities and triats. but do you feel that is what is essentially you?

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology