Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
Sleep: What the hell am I doing with 1/3 of my Life?
    #2315451 - 02/08/04 07:37 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Two shows I've watched this weekend on the Discovery channel have got me thinking about this thing we call "sleep".

Most animals sleep, yet to this day science really has little idea of why sleep is necessary. We know that lack of sleep can cause a whole load of problems - both physical and psychological - but we don't really know what happens during sleep that makes it so necessary. Sleep is not just "rest", as many people believe. There are periods of sleep (REM) when your brain uses more energy than when you are awake.

If you watch the brain's activity going into and through sleep, you will see how it slows way down and then jumps quickly back up to a state of activity that is in many cases stronger than when asleep. After REM sleep you wake up for a few moments, and then the cycle repeats itself again.

Why this period of low activity followed by high activity? If sleep was only about resting...I would not think the brain would kick into high gear right in the middle of it!

I also found out that the brains "natural" state is sleeping. There is a hormone (orexin) that is released at the end of sleep - and constantly during waking periods - which is required for the brain to stay awake. Narcolepsy has recently been identified as a lack of the cells which produce and release this hormone - causing the brain to constantly fall into sleep.

So if the brain's natural state is to be asleep...what does that have to say about the hours we spend "conscious" and awake?

What do you think about sleep?

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCleverName
the cloudsshould know meby now...

Loc: red earth painted with mi...
Re: Sleep: What the hell am I doing with 1/3 of my Life? [Re: trendal]
    #2315475 - 02/08/04 07:41 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

i enjoy my sleep, i used to try to get 9 hours a night, but now i gt about 7, and that works best for me...thats about it

--------------------
if you can't find the truth right where you are, where else do you expect to find it?

this is the purpose

Anonymous

#2315521 - 02/08/04 07:50 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Re: Sleep: What the hell am I doing with 1/3 of my Life? [Re: ]
    #2315553 - 02/08/04 07:56 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Did you realize that science sometimes creates more questions than it answers in a vicious cycle of hypothesis/conclusion/hypothesis ad infinitum?

Yes! This is one of science's most endearing qualities! The ability to create more questions as each question is answered! What a boring world we would live in if answering something left no new ideas to be answered...

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.

OfflineViaggio
ChemicalConsumer

#2315561 - 02/08/04 07:58 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Maybe we have a separate life in dreamland that the conscious mind isn't aware of? Anyway, during sleep, the body is less active leaving more opportunity for tissue to heal etc.

--------------------
"...yet another in a long series of diversions an attempt to avoid responsibility."

Anonymous

#2315587 - 02/08/04 08:04 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
    #2315599 - 02/08/04 08:07 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Ive traveled to a lot of places while being asleep, and i woke up this morning, more tired than before i went to sleep. Which is almost always the case.

Being awake means facing a lot of things, being asleep means i can coast by, but it doesnt meant that i wont feel pain.

Have you ever had mono before? I couldnt get out of bed for a couple of days, i remember sleeping for 16 hours, only to get up to go to the bathroom, to return to sleeping. After i had mono, i seem to know when my body needs sleep, or esle i will get sick.

Sleep is like washing your brain out for the day.

--------------------
What?

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

#2315601 - 02/08/04 08:08 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Get two NT types in a room together...and watch out for the abstracted dialogue that follows :wink:

And you are completely correct! That statement does reside in the psychology of the speaker. I, a person who likes new concepts, cannot get enough of New Theory and will go to obscene extents to find them :wink:

--------------------

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Re: Sleep: What the hell am I doing with 1/3 of my Life? [Re: Zero7a1]
    #2315603 - 02/08/04 08:10 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Yes I had mono a few years ago. It got my sleep habits into what I consider a "normal" person's to be :smirk:

Normally I'm a hyperactive insomniac, you see.

--------------------

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
    #2315610 - 02/08/04 08:12 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Our brains, from what I understand, don't really "sleep". Our bodies, need sleep, but our brains don't, which is why we dream, and shit.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
Re: Sleep: What the hell am I doing with 1/3 of my Life? [Re: Frog]
    #2315628 - 02/08/04 08:17 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

IF you do not go to sleep for a long time, you run the risk of permanent mental instability.

My friends thought it would be cool to try and stay up as long as they could on meth... O sure, they hallucinated, they saw gorillas, they saw the cia plotting to bust them in the apartment. Their were no gorillas, and the apartment was just an empty space.

I personally dont think i could go without sleep, i probably would really go insane.

Have you ever seen fight club? :wink:

--------------------
What?

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Re: Sleep: What the hell am I doing with 1/3 of my Life? [Re: Zero7a1]
    #2315648 - 02/08/04 08:22 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I have gone about 73 hours before without sleep (and LOTS of caffeine) as an "experiment" in sleep deprevation.

Yes...it does result in a near complete breakdown of mental functioning. Hallucinations (both auditory and visual) which are true hallucinations which you cannot distinguish from "reality. A complete breakdown of short and long-term memory - as in I could not remember where various rooms in my own house were, or how to use the toilet (rather embarrasing to have to ask how the shitter works!).

At the 73 hour point my mother ordered me to bed, after I got lost a few times trying to find something to eat. :smirk:

--------------------

Anonymous

#2315686 - 02/08/04 08:30 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

#2315695 - 02/08/04 08:33 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

:lol:

I didn't sleep last year - though it was only one night for me - and I'm not planning on much sleep this year :wink:

--------------------

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

#2315703 - 02/08/04 08:35 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I haven't gone sleep-deprived since I was an undergraduate. You can only do that shit when you're young, IMO. I actually promised myself, when I was staying up, AGAIN, for my last set of finals in the last quarter of my senior year, that I would NEVER skip a night of sleep again.

I never stayed up past 11:00 p.m., even studying for finals, during my law school years. Fuck dat shit.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

Loc: : Gringo
Re: Sleep: What the hell am I doing with 1/3 of my Life? [Re: Frog]
    #2315729 - 02/08/04 08:41 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

November and December I was working the graveyard shift (11-7) 6 nights a week while going to school full time. That meant about 3 hours sleep a night. My only problem was my temper, the smallest thing could set me off.

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
-- :meff:
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Re: Sleep: What the hell am I doing with 1/3 of my Life? [Re: SpecialEd]
    #2315749 - 02/08/04 08:47 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

When I was in college, I had 3 kids. At least, 3 kids when I was an undergrad. Then I started law school. I had 2 kids during law school. I also was cleaning houses to get through school. I worked pretty hard during the day, weekdays, and on weekends, I studied all day. I cleaned whatever houses I didn't get to during the week.

--------------------

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #2315760 - 02/08/04 08:51 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

"It's a lot like what we will be doing at the Gathering. NOT!"

ooo why not?? hehe

I thought sleep was like a way for you to clear all the excesss out, like a computer who's been running for like days straight, it'll slow down, and not function properly. but there's so much about the mind that science is trying to answer hehe.

I'd like to boldly say that we have RAM, but that's another hting entirely.

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Re: Sleep: What the hell am I doing with 1/3 of my Life? [Re: kaiowas]
    #2315778 - 02/08/04 08:55 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

RAM = short-term memory :wink:

--------------------

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #2315792 - 02/08/04 08:59 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

damn and I'm smoking a blunt right now too, is that why people get tired when stoned?

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order