Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinegggiiimmmppp
Stranger
PF jars not colonizing
    #2314270 - 02/08/04 12:06 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

This is my second attempt at growing fungus. The first time went smoothly, until I tried to case the jars and found obvious contamination when I broke up the cakes to case. Actually, just for the hell of it I cased one of them anyway, and will post pics of the result in the appropriate forum. Anyway back to the story...

Both used the same vermiculite and home ground brown rice flour (which isnt quite 100% fine powder, there are chunks up to about the width of a grain of rice in size) and distilled water. That time I steamed them since I didn't have a pressure cooker, and due to the result I searched around and found a pressure cooker to borrow. I mixed up a new batch, using fresh jars/lids that I boiled in water for good measure while I was mixing up the substrate. I prepared all of the jars by the book, sterilized them, and waited over 12 hours to inoculate.

I inoculated them with the remains of the same syringe of B+ from sporeworks that I used for the first batch. It had NOT been regrigerated but it hasnt been subjected to anything greater than the low 70s in my room (over the course of two months). I had a bit more than I needed for the jars so I actually gave two holes of each an extra half hit. This time I DID make an incubator from two tupperware things, water and an aquarium heater that is steady just below 80F. They were inoculated 1/29 and have been in the incubator since and there is VERY little growth. I can't even identify any activity below some of the holes in the lid, and the largest area where there is something happening is half an inch across at most and consists only of slightly discolored chunks of rice.

Anyway... What is the problem? I can't see where I could have gone wrong. If they don't start colonizing could I re-inoculate them from a fresh syringe (they haven't been opened or anything and have been exposed only to B+ spores)? Suggestions?

If pics would be helpful, I will post some. I was going to anyway but my camera's batteries are dead, but I could get some pics up in a bit.

--------------------
This post is a work of fiction in the first person from the perspective of (and written by) my hardworking team of monkeys with typewriters. All images therein are computer generated artists' renderings.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinebuckeye
enthusiast
Loc: oHIo
Re: PF jars not colonizing [Re: gggiiimmmppp]
    #2314458 - 02/08/04 01:00 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

give it a lil more time

OfflineBen_Stein
Spelling Gestapo

Loc: Hooterville
    #2314467 - 02/08/04 01:08 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Bump your incubator up to 84F.

Did you shake the shit outta that syringe between shots?

--------------------
I'm so ready to start growing. I've shroomed twice and loved it to no extent. --Mindgames

Offlinegggiiimmmppp
Stranger
Re: PF jars not colonizing [Re: Ben_Stein]
    #2314483 - 02/08/04 01:12 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Yes I shook it up. I don't have that degree of control over my incubator's temperature (the aquarium heater's two settings are plugged in and off).

--------------------
This post is a work of fiction in the first person from the perspective of (and written by) my hardworking team of monkeys with typewriters. All images therein are computer generated artists' renderings.

OfflineBen_Stein
Spelling Gestapo

Loc: Hooterville
    #2314642 - 02/08/04 02:05 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

OK, sounds like you'll just hafta wait and see.

You might wanna try a liquid culture such as Karo or dextrose and see if your spores are viable. A single 100ml jar can inoculate up to 100 jars (theoretically), and eliminates the germination waits and worries.

Good luck!

Offlinevermonster
Lost Sailor

Loc: Shangri La
    #2314956 - 02/08/04 04:10 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

gggiiimmmppp said:
Yes I shook it up. I don't have that degree of control over my incubator's temperature (the aquarium heater's two settings are plugged in and off).

Here's what my cousin uses to control incubation temperatures. It has a
remote sensor wire she places in the incubator next to the jars.
The heater is set on full and the repti-temp turns it on and off.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures