Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemyceliumaster
Untitled
Male

Perlite Shotgun Fruiting Chamber
    #15445629 - 11/30/11 03:36 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

When using the perlite shotgun fruiting chamber as described by Roger Rabbit, is it necessary to mist the cakes before each fanning/air exchange (2-3 times per day), or only when the dunked and rolled cakes are initially placed in the chamber? I've heard directly misting the cakes can hurt the mycelium and delay pin set, and the information I have founds seems contradictory or incomplete. If misting is necessary at each air exchange to replenish lost moisture, should the perlite get sprayed, rather than the cakes?

Anybody with direct experience or information regarding this could be of great help.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHesy-Ra
Marvin The Martian

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Mars
Re: Perlite Shotgun Fruiting Chamber [Re: myceliumaster]
    #15445666 - 11/30/11 03:44 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I believe a properly built and used SGFC should be self sustaining. If you grow area is extra dry you may need to mist. If you have it locked in a closet you may need to fan. If it's in a comfortably humid room with with air circulation you should be able to set it and forget it.

--------------------
"We must capture a live earthling, K-9, and take him back with us to Mars. Isn't that a nice assignment? Hm?"

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Perlite Shotgun Fruiting Chamber [Re: Hesy-Ra]
    #15446093 - 11/30/11 05:17 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

is it necessary to mist the cakes before each fanning/air exchange (2-3 times per day),

Yes, you'll need to mist a few times daily for best performance.  A good rule of thumb is if you're getting the proper amount of fresh air exchange for maximum pinning and yield, your substrates will need misting three or more times daily.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

InvisibleHesy-Ra
Marvin The Martian

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Perlite Shotgun Fruiting Chamber [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #15446158 - 11/30/11 05:28 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

RR

I believed the point of drilling ALL them darn holes was to produce the optimal FAE through the chamber and Perlite which keeps the humidity and moisture optimal (in an optimal setting). :confused:

RR said.

"Why are you guys worried about humidity in a shotgun terrarium?  Don't run a fan in the room with a shotgun.  It will disturb the natural air currents and impede proper operation.

No, you're misting to replace the moisture which evaporates out of the cakes. This evaporation is the number one pinning trigger.  The perlite supplies humidity and the holes on all six sides supply fresh air.  If you run a fan or pipe in a humidifier, you run the risk of upsetting the natural balance, and either flooding or drying out your terrarium, both of which will reduce performance.
RR"

--------------------
"We must capture a live earthling, K-9, and take him back with us to Mars. Isn't that a nice assignment? Hm?"

Edited by Hesy-Ra (11/30/11 05:38 PM)

InvisibleJavadog
Continuing along
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #15446184 - 11/30/11 05:33 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I think that the idea is that the perlite and SGFC design maintain
the humidity of the air in the fruiting chamber where misting replaces
moisture that has evaporated from the cake.

Take care,

JD

--------------------
Boyd Rice told my brother that life is a corny pack of freesakes

Myco-tek.org

InvisibleHesy-Ra
Marvin The Martian

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Perlite Shotgun Fruiting Chamber [Re: Javadog]
    #15446235 - 11/30/11 05:43 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Isn't that why you dunk the cakes after birthing and between flushes?

Glad this is coming up. I did a couple bulk mono's and was planning on going to a SGFC and making smaller bulk trays to place inside. (To reduce/eliminate the need to mist/fan)

--------------------

OfflineRoastedPete
Noun
 User Gallery

Loc: The Candy Kingdom
    #15446398 - 11/30/11 06:13 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Hesy-Ra said:
Isn't that why you dunk the cakes after birthing and between flushes?

Water will still evaporate from the cakes, and if it not replenished, they will become far too dehydrated to perform well. This happened to me when my room mate was taking care of my cakes while I was out of town. He did not mist as much as I asked him to, and after a week I returned to cakes that were bone dry, even after a proper dunking before I left.

Offlinemyceliumaster
Untitled
Male

Re: Perlite Shotgun Fruiting Chamber [Re: RoastedPete]
    #15446829 - 11/30/11 07:47 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Okay sounds good, so assertions that direct misting damages the mycelium and delays pinning is false? If there's any truth to it, what is the best way to rehydrate the substrate while avoiding damaging the mycelium? Should I mist upwards and away and let the mist fall onto the cakes, rather then spray them directly?

OfflineDudester67
eat a dick win a pony
    #15447438 - 11/30/11 10:08 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Hesy-Ra said:?
Glad this is coming up. I did a couple bulk mono's and was planning on going to a SGFC and making smaller bulk trays to place inside. (To reduce/eliminate the need to mist/fan)

I'd advise against that, especially if that's your reason.  As javadog said, misting is for rehydrating the surface of the mycelium and will benefit your grow whether you're doing a mono or cakes (*unless you're providing so little fresh air that moisture can't evaporate- then don't mist). 
But you're right that if the SGFC works as it is purported to, the constant air exchange would eliminate the need for extra fanning, but NOT the need for misting, in fact it would force the need for misting.  Get it?

Here's a tip for all of these "when to mist?"-"when to fan?"-"when to dunk?" questions:  Try growing mushroom while on mushrooms.  The mycelium will let you know precisely what is needed.  I'm serious.

Quote:

myceliumaster said:
what is the best way to rehydrate the substrate while avoiding damaging the mycelium? Should I mist upwards and away and let the mist fall onto the cakes, rather then spray them directly?

A GREAT investment is a pump sprayer like the Misty Mate:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mistymate-Cool-Blast-Personal-Mister-Mist-Air-Cooler-cool-tie-purple-/230710609971?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b76c8833#ht_1307wt_1152
^ I've had that model for years and it is fantastic.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #15447485 - 11/30/11 10:23 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

myceliumaster said:
Okay sounds good, so assertions that direct misting damages the mycelium and delays pinning is false? If there's any truth to it, what is the best way to rehydrate the substrate while avoiding damaging the mycelium? Should I mist upwards and away and let the mist fall onto the cakes, rather then spray them directly?

We've known for years that misting does not damage the mycelium, and in fact is required for best results.  That's disinformation from the early days when they didn't know about proper fresh air exchange.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineFancy Feast
Stranger

Re: Perlite Shotgun Fruiting Chamber [Re: Dudester67]
    #22637077 - 12/10/15 04:00 AM (8 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Dudester67 said:

Here's a tip for all of these "when to mist?"-"when to fan?"-"when to dunk?" questions:  Try growing mushroom while on mushroomsThe mycelium will let you know precisely what is needed.  I'm serious.

Anyone else tried this?

OfflineAliasbane
Little Grower
 User Gallery

Re: Perlite Shotgun Fruiting Chamber [Re: Fancy Feast]
    #22637160 - 12/10/15 04:59 AM (8 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Fancy Feast said:
Quote:

Dudester67 said:

Here's a tip for all of these "when to mist?"-"when to fan?"-"when to dunk?" questions:  Try growing mushroom while on mushroomsThe mycelium will let you know precisely what is needed.  I'm serious.

Anyone else tried this?

Dont try that(well you could),but just follow the TEK!

--------------------
First Grow Thread!

OfflineFancy Feast
Stranger

#22638972 - 12/10/15 03:15 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Fancy Feast said:
Quote:

Dudester67 said:

Anyone else tried this?

bump

Offlinemushpunx
Fungus Punk
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #22639134 - 12/10/15 03:59 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Fancy Feast said:
Quote:

Fancy Feast said:
Quote:

Dudester67 said:

Anyone else tried this?

bump

Why ?

--------------------

Amateur Mycologists United
AMU Q&A

Offline420MEDSUPPLY
Re: Perlite Shotgun Fruiting Chamber [Re: Dudester67]
    #23138557 - 04/20/16 09:06 PM (7 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Dudester67 said:

Here's a tip for all of these "when to mist?"-"when to fan?"-"when to dunk?" questions:  Try growing mushroom while on mushrooms.  The mycelium will let you know precisely what is needed.  I'm serious.

Yessssss!!! :smile:

--------------------
[quote]Dudester67 said:

InvisibleInocuole
Scalpel of Evil's Bane
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ★
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Perlite Shotgun Fruiting Chamber [Re: 420MEDSUPPLY]
    #23138928 - 04/20/16 11:17 PM (7 years, 10 months ago)

--------------------
                            :rainbowdrink: Tea doesn't work?                            AMU  (Q & A)                  Grain prep for Intergalactic Space Oats :pes:     

Coir-ca-cola
Jokes are funny until they're about you

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract