Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinebongoboy2000
Bongoboy2000
Male
Loc: Seattle
Can I plant colonized cow pies that I find?
    #2312529 - 02/07/04 06:10 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Say I go hunting and instead of just taking the shrooms I take a couple of entire cow pies. Could I take them home and plant them in an outdoor patch (like the one described in the grow guide)and theoretically grow them at home? I'm not looking to start a complex garden or anything, so I dont want to order a kit and go through the whole colonizing a jar blah blah lol. I just wanna know if it's possible to plant a cow patty which has already got mushrooms growing on it in a poop/hay mixture and expect more to grow.
I really did search for about a half hour for the answer without success, so I appologize if I missed it. Thanks in advance!!!

--------------------
...I got nothin..

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinellamaboy
the weasel thatsnagged the bee

Loc: Portland PNW
Re: Can I plant colonized cow pies that I find? [Re: bongoboy2000]
    #2312533 - 02/07/04 06:12 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

yes it's possible.

Anonymous

#2312833 - 02/07/04 08:02 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

theraretically the patty with the shrooms growing out of it must have mycilium growing in it. But here is what you want to do is get more poop and crumble and mix the mushroom patties with the other none mushroom patties as the mushroom patties might have eaten all the nutrient out of that pattie so it would render you usless. By the way abouts where do you live? Just wondering cause you wont find psilocybes in most places

Offlinellamaboy

Re: Can I plant colonized cow pies that I find? [Re: fee]
    #2313046 - 02/07/04 09:48 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

psilocybes are in lots of places!...at least psilocybian mushrooms.

Anonymous

Re: Can I plant colonized cow pies that I find? [Re: llamaboy]
    #2313050 - 02/07/04 09:49 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I was talking about cubes out of the us only probly 20% grows cubes right?

Offlinellamaboy

Re: Can I plant colonized cow pies that I find? [Re: fee]
    #2313065 - 02/07/04 09:56 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

yes, maybe that amount. but you have to remember there are many dung loving pan's and cope's that are found throughout the world.

OfflineDSD
devil

Loc: Bad,Bad person - minus ...
Re: Can I plant colonized cow pies that I find? [Re: llamaboy]
    #2313645 - 02/08/04 02:55 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

yes but most of us live where there are only cubes. and back to the original question - you could dig up a cowpie that had myc. but transplanting it would require some work to make it grow. it's definitely possible - but i would just let it do what it is doing where it is doing it and then harvest it  :grin:

Offlinellamaboy

Re: Can I plant colonized cow pies that I find? [Re: DSD]
    #2313663 - 02/08/04 03:22 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

actually, i think most of us live where there are pan subbs. cubes are pretty much situated in the gulf states of the US. and if a cube is growing where you live, then chances are cope cyans live there as well. if you wanted to transplant that cow pie to somewhere like say your backyard and take care of it...i'd say that's a good plan, makes it a lot easier to go and find your magic mushies. you just have to actually take care of it rather than go out and look for it.

InvisibleOldSpice
Geritol Breath...
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crankytown, Texas
Post deleted by Administrator [Re: bongoboy2000]
    #2313692 - 02/08/04 04:33 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

--------------------
So hard to be ....WDWGFH?
Texas is humongus compared to France
Our Gair, who art in Texas,
Paw Paw be thy Name....
My friends are thirsty

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrist office:biker:

InvisibleStarter
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Australia
    #2313798 - 02/08/04 07:09 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

This all pends if you live in the same area as the mushrooms, but folks up north coast NSW Australia do this. They just collect manure in the paddock, toss as a pile into a shady part of their yard and wait.

--------------------
Convert Metric and Imperial.

Offlinebongoboy2000
Bongoboy2000
Male
Loc: Seattle
    #2313888 - 02/08/04 09:02 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Hm, sounds like I might try that, can't hurt huh? I do live where a number of magic mushies grow I think (southern Florida). I know people who go out quite often and find them around here. We've got tons of cow fields. So would it be Cubes that I would find? I'm new to mushrooms! Thanks guys. And a special thanks to Alounacara for his contribution, lol :smile:

--------------------
...I got nothin..

InvisibleOldSpice
Geritol Breath...
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crankytown, Texas
Post deleted by Administrator [Re: bongoboy2000]
    #2313919 - 02/08/04 09:40 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

--------------------
So hard to be ....WDWGFH?
Texas is humongus compared to France
Our Gair, who art in Texas,
Paw Paw be thy Name....
My friends are thirsty

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrist office:biker:

InvisibleStarter
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Can I plant colonized cow pies that I find? [Re: OldSpice]
    #2314243 - 02/08/04 11:55 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Alounacara said:
Buy syringes www.ralphstersspores.com and innoculate them cow pies :smile:

You know that's unlikely to work and at the prices of syringes it's a wa$te of money. If you want to buy syringes then invest such into sterile substrates and go the route of spawn.

The idea of collection of cow manure from known mushroom locations means they're likely to be pre-colonised substrates and/or already full of spores and then grown on a stone throw from the paddocks. The only difference between such a same locale backyard grow and the paddock is the absence of the food.

Bear in mind too that climates can change quite dramatically just several km's from the source i.e. buffering coastline influence can dramatically drop with a mountain range. Being "in the area" means just that. I know of fellahs up at Lismore (it's subtropical) who do this, rather niche (top qual pot up there too). Unfortuneatly I'm way too south and my climate is nothing like that.

All up, as in wider horticulture, land races indigenous to a locale are the ones that will ideally work in that locale. This is how and why native plant seeds are collected and propagated for vegetative regeneration projects in same region because they stand the best chance of surviving. 

bongoboy2000, use what works (if you're in the area) and not bought syringes for such a purpose. Still, that doesn't exclude you from growing outside if your locale isn't satisfactory, but it would mean making spawn and effect a micro-climate to do so. Different ball game.

--------------------

OnlineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: Can I plant colonized cow pies that I find? [Re: OldSpice]
    #2314430 - 02/08/04 12:49 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

He could also clone one of those mushrooms onto peroxidated agar, and use wedges to make liquid mycelium and then he wouldn't need spores.

--------------------
This space for rent

Offlinewhereislucy
Day Tripper

Loc: SE Wonderland
Re: Can I plant colonized cow pies that I find? [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #2314539 - 02/08/04 01:30 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

a friend of mine said you could just break up one of the shrooms and push it into the poop, then mist it overnight and youd have huge shrooms in the morning.

InvisibleStarter
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Can I plant colonized cow pies that I find? [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #2314551 - 02/08/04 01:34 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

bongoboy2000 said:
I'm not looking to start a complex garden or anything, so I dont want to order a kit and go through the whole colonizing a jar blah blah lol.

BH, though possible that's not his aim and if he's in the right place he won't need to bother with culturing.

--------------------

OfflineExtravagantDream
Beacon in theDarkness
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere in the Local Su...
Re: Can I plant colonized cow pies that I find? [Re: whereislucy]
    #2314567 - 02/08/04 01:46 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

whereislucy said:
a friend of mine said you could just break up one of the shrooms and push it into the poop, then mist it overnight and youd have huge shrooms in the morning.

right.....  :lol: I'm gonna have to laugh at your friend

Quote:

bongoboy2000  said:
.... I think... So would it be Cubes that I would find?...

Sounds like you are dreaming too far ahead of your time. You sound like a guy who picks random mushrooms from the field and eats them.  :shake:

OfflineBen_Stein
Spelling Gestapo

Loc: Hooterville
    #2314600 - 02/08/04 01:56 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Go for it, dood. It works!

South Florida has the same climate as the rest of Florida --- less cold extremes during winter (good thing), but Cubes grow far into Georgia and beyond anyway.

Worst that could happen is the pies would already be flushed out. But if you gather some extra dung as suggested by someone, you could leave a few pies intact and crumble some up with more dung to create your very own patch and see what happens.

--------------------
I'm so ready to start growing. I've shroomed twice and loved it to no extent. --Mindgames

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds