Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Incense, Ranch Dressing

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
2nd Finger Giver in Brazil Fined big Bucks. ($17,200)
    #2313606 - 02/08/04 04:24 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

American Fined in Brazil for Gesture
Sat Feb 7, 4:58 PM ET

By ALAN CLENDENNING, Associated Press Writer

SAO PAULO, Brazil - A second American paid a hefty fine for making an obscene gesture during fingerprinting procedures for U.S. citizens in Brazil, police said Saturday.

Douglas A. Skolnick will be allowed to leave the southeastern resort town of Foz do Iguacu with his tour group Sunday after paying $17,200 for raising his middle finger when he was fingerprinted and photographed, said federal police spokesman Marcos Koren.

The customs requirements were imposed in response to similar U.S. rules for citizens of Brazil and many other countries. The United States says its rules will help prevent terrorists from entering the country.

Skolnick, who arrived in Brazil on Friday, was taken before a judge early Saturday after being arrested and jailed for hours on the charge of showing contempt to authorities.

Skolnick, 55, of New Jersey, said he made the gesture as a joke, agreed to pay the fine and told the judge he was sorry, Koren said. Skolnick's hometown was not immediately known.

On Jan. 14, American Airlines pilot Dale Robin Hersh was arrested on the same charge after making a similar gesture when he was fingerprinted in Sao Paulo. Hersh returned home after paying a $12,750 fine.

Skolnick "said he knew what happened with the pilot but said he had no intention of insulting the Brazilian (news - web sites) authorities or the Brazilian people, but we don't think that's true," Koren said.

Globo TV aired footage Saturday showing Skolnick entering a jail cell and telling Brazilian journalists, "I'm an American citizen. I'm not a monkey."

Koren said Skolnick was upset with the media attention.

U.S. consular officials in Brazil were aware of the incident but were not asked to provide any assistance, said Wesley Carrington, spokesman for the U.S. Embassy in Brasilia.

After the court hearing, Skolnick was taken to the hotel where the tour group was staying. He was kept inside his room with a police standing guard outside while the group toured the area, famed for its waterfalls, Koren said.

After paying the fine, Skolnick was free "to enjoy the little time he has left here," Koren said. He said money from the fine will be donated to two Brazilian charities for the elderly and children.

Foz do Iguacu sits at the border with Argentina and Paraguay, about 500 miles southeast of Sao Paulo. Skolnick's tour group arrived from Santiago, Chile, on a chartered flight.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXx

What a crock of shit. Jail or a fine.

What a choice and then look at the amount of the fine.

Screw the Brazilian Government as well as our own for creating this shit phony security.

WE all should find a good Brazillian Government site and email multiple pictures of people giving the finger to government officials. Here is the imgea I am going to mail to several of them.

And then below I will post several free Finger gesture images fso all of you can join in this finger protest against the Brazilliam rip-off government.

Here are some free Finger images for ya'all

Well I haD ANOTHER COOL ONE SOMEWHERE BUT i CANNOT FIND IT.

a KID IN THE CLASSROOM GIVING THE TEACHER THE FINGER.

WELL GANG, MAIL THEM OUT TO THE EMBASSY OR TO THE POLICIA AND GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS.. lET THEM COME HERE TO COLLECT THEIR FINES.

MJ

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: 2nd Finger Giver in Brazil Fined big Bucks. ($17,200) [Re: mjshroomer]
    #2313633 - 02/08/04 04:47 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

--------------------

Invisiblezeta
Stranger

Re: 2nd Finger Giver in Brazil Fined big Bucks. ($17,200) [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #2313657 - 02/08/04 05:11 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: 2nd Finger Giver in Brazil Fined big Bucks. ($17,200) [Re: zeta]
    #2313886 - 02/08/04 10:59 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Love America or leave it. Funny thing, as an ex-vet I can say these things, biut I want to poiint out that I have been flying since 1955 and never once in my whole like here in America did anyone ever walk through an airport gate with a bomb.

Yes there were a few hi-jackings in the 1960s pof disgrunted brothers who fleww to Cuba and became a pawn of Fidel, someone else we put in power adn then didn't like what they envisioned.

Well I mailed about 12 of these out last l night. Wonder if they will come and get me and fine me or extradite me to Brazil. Maybe I can make iof for carnival.

mj

Invisiblethescientist
Loc: Dade County
    #2316061 - 02/08/04 11:59 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Sounds to me like a couple of pompous american douchebags got what they deserve. your going to talk shit about brazil doing what the US is doing. maybe americans are inherently worth more than everyone else?

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: 2nd Finger Giver in Brazil Fined big Bucks. ($17,200) [Re: thescientist]
    #2316563 - 02/09/04 03:21 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Can you translate that into sense plz

--------------------

InvisibleStarter
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Australia
    #2316702 - 02/09/04 04:25 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

If you go to another country then show respect.

--------------------
Convert Metric and Imperial.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: 2nd Finger Giver in Brazil Fined big Bucks. ($17,200) [Re: Starter]
    #2317186 - 02/09/04 11:03 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

In the early 1980s here in Seattle, a 15 -year-old teenager gave a copp the finger.

The cop threw the kid on the ground, arrested him, charge w him with making a threatening gesture.

The judge threw the case out of the courrt, said the finger was a sign of free speech and the kids parents sued the Seattle Police Department and got a bunch of money. So much for the finger.

Luckily He wasn't in Italy where they give you the whole arm.

Hehehehe!

mj

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #2317322 - 02/09/04 12:19 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

There are some people in this thread that would make really crappy Americans. I hope they are never allowed to become one.

--------------------

Invisiblemuhurgle
Turtles all theway down

#2317404 - 02/09/04 12:41 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Please elaborate.

--------------------
"To make this mundane world sublime
Take half a gram of phanerothyme."

Aldous Huxley

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: 2nd Finger Giver in Brazil Fined big Bucks. ($17,200) [Re: muhurgle]
    #2320005 - 02/10/04 01:09 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

People who believe in irrational laws and support stupid policies.

I don't believe anyone should be allowed to become an American citizen unless they have strong feelings about freedom, because that is the true American spirit. Governments have no place enforcing respect, or any other subjective "virtues".

This is a culture that is dying from senescence in America and a lack of these values is not something we should be importing.

--------------------

Invisiblezeta
Stranger

#2320413 - 02/10/04 03:52 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Brazil is only doing to Americans what America started doing to Brazilians (and most other nationalities) first

Invisiblesir tripsalot
Administrator
 Arcade Champion: Skeleton Park

#2320436 - 02/10/04 04:07 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

If they treat visitors like that they will lose their tourism industry(hopefully).
This reminds me of my trip to Mahzatlan Mexico, we were warned about corrupt police and iffy rules they enforce. We were all worried about being thrown into an infamous meixcan jail, but our guides put our minds at ease for the most part. They explained that the federali may 'fine' you for some extra bucks(cause they barely make ends meet) but if they start fucking around and sticking us in jail for stupid shit...Well they'll stop bringing the tour groups that account for their biggest money maker. The cops there know what's up.

--------------------

"Little racoons and old possums 'n' stuff all live up in here. They've got to have a little place to sit." Bob Ross.

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: 2nd Finger Giver in Brazil Fined big Bucks. ($17,200) [Re: zeta]
    #2320441 - 02/10/04 04:11 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

And what would that be?

And what good does it to to punish an individual for something their government did?

Should I go out and find me a Muslim and beat them up now?

?R U A st00piD aMeriKan?

--------------------

Edited by Baby_Hitler (02/10/04 04:19 AM)

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: 2nd Finger Giver in Brazil Fined big Bucks. ($17,200) [Re: sir tripsalot]
    #2320598 - 02/10/04 07:06 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Hey Sir Trips AloLot, Hows about this one from 1970 mexico.

And I should also mention i that in 1987, Thai army marched more than 300 German and other tourists off of Koh Samui Island for drugs and public nudity.

But first here is the article on Mexico and shrooms, and today they wioll arrest onefor shrooming there and deport them.

New York Times
Thursday July 23, 1970

Hippies Flocking to Mexico for Mushroom ?Trips?
Sierra Mazoteca [sic!], Mexico, July 22 (Reuters)

Hundreds of hippies are braving imprisonment and fines to penetrate this mushroom paradise in the State of Oaxaca, where the authorities are conducting a drive against mushroom eaters.

Below cascading waterfalls, in winding limestone caves, in empty mountain huts and in animal shelters, the mushroom eaters enjoy an idyllic existence gobbling up a few raw fungus that rockets them into a strange psychedelic orbit where they have hallucinations for hours.

The authorities, handicapped by the inaccessibility of the terrain, torrential rains that cut mountain tracks for days and the lack of cooperation from the local Indians?themselves avid mushroom eaters?have been unsuccessful in flushing out the addicts.

A correspondent who spent a week in the breath-taking beauty of the area between Teotitlan del Camino and Huautla de Jimenez, found no trace of troops but thousands of barefoot Indians who will trade enough fungus to dream away an entire day for a cigarette.

NO MORE CADILLACS

Gone are the days when late-modeled Cadillacs were parked beside the mountain tracks for weeks while time stood still for their American owners. Also gone are the days when high priests of the mushroom paradise held communal trips through the nights.

Before the crackdown Marragarito, guru of the mushroom addicts, used to gather up to 500 disciples on his mountain ranch to experience the strange hallucinary effects of the fungus, which was medicine, food and entertainment to Indians before Cortez conquered Mexico.

Now, fearful of the dreaded federal police, the mushroom seekers bypass sleepy Teotitlan de Camino, at the foot of the sierra, where villagers have baited hippies and where local officials cut beards and hair.

When they are spotted by Bartolome Mendez, the Teotitlan sheriff, the mushroom seekers are pounced upon by the District Attorney Jesus Martinez and his assistant Juan Hernandez, who drag them in for a complete search for narcotics.

Unless they can pay a heavy fine, the hippies are jailed for a few days and then run out of town.

Sympathetic Mazateco [spelled mazoteco in the article] Indians who do not speak Spanish guide the visitors on secret tracks past Teotitlan. Hidden in trucks, often soaked to the skin after days of traversing the moist mountains, always pursued by "the terror of the red jeep" ? containing two immigration officials who patrol in search of foreign mushroom eaters?the travelers reach the center of the mushroom paradise at Puente de Fierro, 25 miles form Teotitlan and four hours by special four-wheel-drive bus.

There, in wooden shacks or in one of the hundreds of limestone caves away from the track, they live on berries and tortillas bought from the Indians, herbs and the abundant mushrooms. Neither soldiers nor immigration officials ever penetrate the dense growth.

Danny, from Chicago, who trekked through Mexico for two weeks with six other Americans, spent five nights in jail at small towns and paid 90% of his money in fines. "The fear is that they catch and deport you before you have eaten the mushrooms," he said. "Once you have eaten them, you don?t worry anymore." Danny?s companions ? from New York, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh and Rhode Island ? lived a month in the mushroom paradise.

LIKE A T-BONE STEAK

David from San Francisco, put the mushroom craving this way: "The difference between LSD and the mushrooms is the difference between a hamburger and a t-bone steak."

"In the city you suffer paranoia when you are on a trip ? you always fear being busted while you are high," he went on, "Here the mountains protect you, you are away from the squares and the trips are good."

Mushroom eaters say they become super perceptive under the effects of the mushrooms. Their thoughts, fears, inhibitions, their faults and deeds, are multiplied hundreds of times into good or bad nightmares.

They journey aloof in a world of colors, symbols and separation. On the really great trips their minds slip from their bodies.

"You have to have good thoughts all the time, do good things, then your trips are good," said Carlos, A Mexican student who had been in the mushroom paradise for three months. "you do bad things and your trips are bad."

There is a close bond of friendship and spirit of survival between the mushroom eaters and the local people.

"We are brothers by the power of the mushrooms," Ronny a Texan said. :They share with us, we share with them. When we are sick, their women look after us. One of the boys had typhoid three weeks ago. One Indian walked across the mountains for two days to bring a herbalist, who cured him."

While the foreigners seek thrills and trips, the stocky Indians are worshipers of a pre-Hispanic cult, according to which they chant or stomp in rhythm when they eat the fungus.

They are without medicines, living off a beautiful but barren land where they raked out a miserable existence. "The god of the mushroom" heals their ills, keeping them strong, sound and incredibly sensitive.

"We ate mushrooms long before the first white man ever came here," said Florencia, who speaks Spanish. "We eat them in small numbers, we dream, but we eat them only when we need to and then with the right ritual."

The rituals very from burning incense and imploring the saints, gnomes and fairies of the mountains to meditation in front of the candles.
In the market of Huautla de Jimenez there are mushrooms for sale ? tiny peak-hatted, long-stemmed pajaritos (birdies), the smallest variety: derumbes (landslides), which are larger, Santo Jesuchristos, the size of a dinner roll. All are consumed raw.

Nearby the municipal president Felicio Pineda, keeps two barefoot Indians armed with ancient shotguns as the villager?s official hippie-hunters.

"We can not allow the vice to spread," he said. "The mushrooms are a great medicine. Taken in right quantities they can do miracles."

New York Times
Thursday, July 23, 1970

mjshroomer

Told you I collect clippings all my life. Picked that uyp from my grandparents.

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #2321091 - 02/10/04 02:26 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Was this before people knew the southeast U.S. was infested with cubensis?

--------------------

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
    #2321513 - 02/10/04 04:31 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Actually about the same time. many Harvard Students of mycology were well aware of the shrooms in FLorida. I do not think that many knew of them elsewhere.

Chiuled wrote his horrible field guide in 1972. See below:

Ghouled, F. F. 1972. Field Guide to the Psilocybin Mushrooms. Guidance Publications. New Orleans, La.
A guide for collecting Psilocybe cubensis in the southeastern United States. Two photographs of P. cubensis are inadvertantly mis-identified as Panaeolus subbalteatus. The author also identifies teonan?catl as being Amanita muscraia, calling it the famed psilocybine mushroom of Mexico.

Ghouled, F. C. and Richard Meridith. 1977. Psilocybin Cultivation. Design Books. Chapel Hill, North Carolina.
Another cultivation manual devoted to Psilocybe cubensis.

His second book in 1977 was also wrought with mis-information regarding species int he PNW.

Thta first guidde 14 or 16 pages, cannot find my copy, sold over 300,000 copies at $1.75 each over an 8 year period.

Anno recenl tly removed it form the FAC's here at the shroomery. Said he moved it somewhere else ont he site?

mj

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Incense, Ranch Dressing

General Interest >> Political Discussion