Home | Community | Message Board

MycologyNow.com Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | < Back | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | Next >
OfflineSpaceBabyS
alchemist
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: My Own Private Idaho
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: S826]
    #27498428 - 10/09/21 12:27 PM (1 month, 27 days ago)

Here's where I come for the experienced, sharp eyes. ahem Smart.

Is this jar totally fucked I should I throw it in a shoe?

I have a number of shoes of Enigma creeping along. Is this, the furthest along, the best or a tosser. I had a tub that looked like that and Smart gave it the nod. The thhisck white ares I though were shite fruited big beautif GT. So...

Closer

TYIA
:bow2:

--------------------
SpaceBaby
SPACEBABY's LAZY FUCKER SHOEBOX LINING TEK

Cult Queen:

Another Day's Work:

MUSHBOY'S SHROOM TEA TEK

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
InvisibleSmartattackS
C'mon man
 User Gallery

Loc: A thought
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: SpaceBaby]
    #27498460 - 10/09/21 01:02 PM (1 month, 27 days ago)

I don't think I'd do anything with that jar. How long has that bald spot been there? I'd be willing to bet there is a much bigger ball of uncolonized grain further inside that you can't see. I'll shoebox many things but you have to draw the line somewhere, usually lots of uncolonized grain is makes it an easy call.

OfflineSpaceBabyS
alchemist

Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: Smartattack]
    #27498522 - 10/09/21 02:18 PM (1 month, 27 days ago)

thanks, smart. I'll put it with the mountain of jars imma open under a 10% bleach lake in a bin. jars are fuckin expensive.

you're a prince, man. :bow2:

--------------------
SpaceBaby

Cult Queen:

Another Day's Work:

MUSHBOY'S SHROOM TEA TEK

InvisibleSmartattackS
C'mon man
 User Gallery

Loc: A thought
    #27498633 - 10/09/21 04:28 PM (1 month, 27 days ago)

The universe thanks you for not being the guy who throws whole jars away. :awesomenod:

I'll never understand that.

OfflineSpaceBabyS
alchemist

Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: Smartattack]
    #27499130 - 10/10/21 06:51 AM (1 month, 26 days ago)

That said, I have like 30 to trash and they are hella NASTY. I don't know what the fuck to do with them. Don't think a P100 3M filter will keep chlorine gas out of me and I can only think of filling a 54-quart with 10% bleach and opening everythibng under that. And the what the FUCK do I do with all that sludge???

:facepalm3:
:ohmyfuck:
:whiteflag:
:kittytakedown:

--------------------
SpaceBaby

Cult Queen:

Another Day's Work:

MUSHBOY'S SHROOM TEA TEK

Onlinegone-pear-shaped
Stranger than fiction

#27499179 - 10/10/21 08:04 AM (1 month, 26 days ago)

A multi-purpose 3m organic filter should protect against chlorine, especially at low doses. The P100+nuisance level organic filters are the ones I checked.

You could also skip the bleach, and open the jars under soapy water, just enough to let in some water. As long as you shake it up well and there are suds inside, I don't think there would be a spore explosion. Dispose of it in a thick or double garbage bag--put in a dumpster directly or wait for garbage pickup day.

I pressure cook bad jars (ten minutes, no venting), but that's because they aren't visibly green so I'm not too fussed about spores. But it has benefits: anything that comes out of that jar will be dead.

OfflineSpaceBabyS
alchemist

Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: gone-pear-shaped]
    #27499381 - 10/10/21 11:40 AM (1 month, 26 days ago)

thanks, gps.

i am good to go that way. in the art studio i have used the P100 with N95 overlay forever and a day. I can bring the mask back to work since I am using a fuckton of urethane and that is some nasty shit.

and i just found out Ace has 12 32-oz for $15. Figured another 60 wouldn't hurt what with ramping up all production. Especially the reishi.

:hatsoff:

--------------------
SpaceBaby

Cult Queen:

Another Day's Work:

MUSHBOY'S SHROOM TEA TEK

Onlinegone-pear-shaped
Stranger than fiction

#27499424 - 10/10/21 12:40 PM (1 month, 26 days ago)

Have fun! Just don't get burned out. If this is a hobby, too little cultivation is better in the long run than too much.

OfflineSpaceBabyS
alchemist

#27499439 - 10/10/21 12:56 PM (1 month, 26 days ago)

Quote:

gone-pear-shaped said:
Have fun! Just don't get burned out. If this is a hobby, too little cultivation is better in the long run than too much.

mostly a hobby

i have a commercial outlet for the reishi and it will be nice to reclaim a few of the avalanche of shekels I have dumped into it.

Microscope is on the list. :rolleyes:

It is SO much easier since a buddy long-term loaned me a FFU.

It's all good. I am a maniac. Drove a cab in NYC on the nightshift in the 70s. 400 drivers in the garage. My nickname was "Madman" :biggrin:

I'm mostly lazing by spacemama's pool today.

--------------------
SpaceBaby

Cult Queen:

Another Day's Work:

MUSHBOY'S SHROOM TEA TEK

Offlinejammerwoch
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW
    #27499496 - 10/10/21 02:03 PM (1 month, 26 days ago)

I assume its better to post here than start yet another thread.

I kept a couple tubs in a grow tent with very inadequate FAE and high humidity only to find the entire surface like the pic below after a couple days. Haven't seen aerial mycelia like this before, but they smell deliciously fungal.

OfflineLyphyr
Stranger
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: jammerwoch]
    #27500384 - 10/11/21 07:36 AM (1 month, 25 days ago)

So I've got my first grow going on and my jar hasn't fully colonized yet. I noticed these brown splotches a couple days ago and didnt really think much of it at first. Well yesterday I looked and I've got a couple more splotchy parts but now also have like 5 or 6 pins growing. Should I be worried about these spots or not?

InvisiblePillgar
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: Lyphyr]
    #27501439 - 10/12/21 01:21 AM (1 month, 24 days ago)

It's pinning.  You can't see those little baby caps popping out?

Offlinejunachina
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: Kizzle]
    #27502820 - 10/13/21 10:04 AM (1 month, 23 days ago)

Need a bit of advice on my jars. First timer, PF Tek, never even tried shrooms. I started with 6 jars and these three are furthest along. It has only been 8 days since inoculation, and they almost all seem too far along (which I understand could be a sign of contam). I messed up - holes on the lids were not wide enough for the needle (ended up stabbing my finger trying to push the needle through one, got blood everywhere), and I am pretty sure I compromised the dry layer on top being clumsy and not wiping wet substrate from the edges before putting in dry.

In the first one just this morning I noticed black looking spots in the middle of white stuff. Again it has only been 8 days:

Here is couple of shots of a second one (smaller jar) which seems way too far along after only 8 days. Other 2 small jars are not anywhere near how far along this one is:

And last I wanted to get your advice on this third one as well:

Onlinegone-pear-shaped
Stranger than fiction

Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: junachina]
    #27502860 - 10/13/21 10:35 AM (1 month, 23 days ago)

#1 has mold, better steam it or throw it out. #2 looks bacterial (because it's thick white, solid looking instead of fibers of mycelia), though we tend to believe bacteria doesn't thrive in BRF/verm. #3 looks fine.

Did you by chance make the jars too wet or inject a lot of spores? I don't know what causes pf cakes to look like your middle jar, but it's probably not good.

Offlinejunachina
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #27502888 - 10/13/21 11:01 AM (1 month, 23 days ago)

Thanks for your reply. When you say steam it out or throw it out - what do you mean. Like throw out the contents and steam the jar to reuse? Or steam it with contents inside? I didn't think ones with mold could be saved.

Also I suppose I have been confused with terminology on this site. I always see people say throw the jar out when something goes wrong. And in my mind I always wondered if people are saying to throw away the entire jar or just the contents... Since jars are cheap, I can see this argument both ways.

I did inject a lot of spores in this first batch. Again, learning.

As far as too wet, it could be. I only have a Instant Pot so I used that, 120 minutes on high pressure, which I believe it only gets to 11-12 PSI. My question with steaming/sterilizing, when I took off the foil, there were droplets of water/condensation on the lids. In my mind, steam went through all the contents of the jar during sterilization, so how in the world does that not alter the water content of the BRF/Verm inside it and how does the top layer stay dry during this process. Didn't seem like it could.

Onlinegone-pear-shaped
Stranger than fiction

Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: junachina]
    #27502935 - 10/13/21 11:40 AM (1 month, 23 days ago)

I don't know how the dry verm layer could stay dry, either. Maybe because it needs a lot of moisture to become actually wet, and steam provides just a little? If I do PF tek again, I'll consider steaming rather than pressure cooking. I don't know much about it, though.

Moldy jars can't normally be saved. Sometimes people top fruit them, but I don't think that's worth the effort. Many of us are squeamish about opening live infected jars--they occasionally make people sick, and it may make other sterile work harder if it's the same day. Some people first open the lids a little under soapy water (maybe with bleach)  then shake, to make sure no spores are dry enough to get airborne--then the contents can be thrown out. Others pressure cook jars before cleaning them. Some people literally throw them away, but I don't like that habit very much.

The amount of spores you need to inject is miniscule--just inject enough to know something came out of the needle.

OfflineDungdood
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #27503945 - 10/14/21 09:46 AM (1 month, 22 days ago)

Hi, i searched but couldn't find any actual posts with pics and stuff.

Somebody please tell me that for some reason these penises arent doomed....

[spoiler

Onlinegone-pear-shaped
Stranger than fiction

Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: Dungdood]
    #27504069 - 10/14/21 12:41 PM (1 month, 22 days ago)

It looks like it could be pseudomonas, if they aren't typical aborts. If they abort large/late (if they die after they should already be well established), or if they turn slimy, you can be more confident in this diagnosis. To keep it from spreading within the tub, you can pick the infected fruits and try not to let them touch or splash other fruit. I sometimes wrap a tissue around them as I pull them out. Also, keep the other fruit from being too moist. This will mean keeping the tub humidity a lot lower than is usually recommended--because if there's condensation on the walls, there's also usually condensation on the fruit.

InvisibleLittledii
Huh
 User Gallery
    #27505531 - 10/15/21 03:49 PM (1 month, 21 days ago)

Thinking these might be some type of mold, the very tops seem to not really colonize even after a shakeup.  There‚Äôs also a tiny spec of a neon super bright green spec in one, but that could be a piece of plastic from the 5 gallon bucket

Offlinemaurt
Stranger
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: Littledii]
    #27506530 - 10/16/21 01:05 PM (1 month, 20 days ago)

these are from my second flush on these cakes. the first did not have the thick white fuzz at the base.. is this something i should be concerned about? should i toss these out? or can i just cut the fuzz off?

its only at the base

also. incase this is relevant. i was away from home for two days and of course i had a bunch of caps flatten out and spores were all over the place...leaving black marks every where..

aside from losing potency is there any reason why i should not consume if they've flattened and dropped spores?

Edited by maurt (10/16/21 01:07 PM)

Jump to top Pages: < First | < Back | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | Next >

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale