Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | < Back | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | Next >
Offlinepossummagic_000
Stranger
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: SpaceBaby]
    #27463419 - 09/10/21 08:20 PM (1 month, 16 days ago)

Hi,

Can someone please tell me what's wrong with my tub? I'm assuming the fuzzy feet are from poor FAE or too much watering?

Also, is my tub contaminated and if so, is that why the mushrooms look odd? What is the name of the contaminant? This is my second tub and my first did not look like this.

Should I chuck it?

Thanks so much!

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
InvisibleSmartattackS
C'mon man
 User Gallery

Loc: A thought
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: possummagic_000]
    #27463478 - 09/10/21 09:17 PM (1 month, 16 days ago)

All those uncolonised areas that have no mycelium, but also are not green is pretty indicative of a heavy bacterial load. The myc is avoiding those spots and the culture is stressed and pumping out what it can. Basically take what you get which at least looks like something and go at it again.

Offlinepossummagic_000
Stranger
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: Smartattack]
    #27463519 - 09/10/21 09:52 PM (1 month, 16 days ago)

Quote:

Smartattack said:
All those uncolonised areas that have no mycelium, but also are not green is pretty indicative of a heavy bacterial load. The myc is avoiding those spots and the culture is stressed and pumping out what it can. Basically take what you get which at least looks like something and go at it again.

Ok, thanks so much. When you say, "go at it again", do you mean with an entirely new batch or is it worth persevering with the current tub and attempt to get a second flush?

Cheers!

InvisibleSmartattackS
C'mon man
 User Gallery

#27463524 - 09/10/21 09:57 PM (1 month, 16 days ago)

Quote:

possummagic_000 said:
Quote:

Smartattack said:

Ok, thanks so much. When you say, "go at it again", do you mean with an entirely new batch or is it worth persevering with the current tub and attempt to get a second flush?

Cheers!

By all means let it run its course. First hand learning. But yeah, absolutely get going on the next one. Not sure how you are working so I dont know how much you need to do different.

Offlinepossummagic_000
Stranger
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: Smartattack]
    #27463556 - 09/10/21 10:42 PM (1 month, 16 days ago)

Quote:

Smartattack said:

By all means let it run its course. First hand learning. But yeah, absolutely get going on the next one. Not sure how you are working so I dont know how much you need to do different.

Thank you. I've got spawn ready to start the next tub, but I am not sure if I should. My first tub's first flush was great. My first tub's second flush was OK and then I noticed some white and green contamination, so I chucked it out. I had fanned it a bit before noticing the contamination, so I am worried I have fanned contamination all around my room.

I am not sure if I should wait a while, clean the house and air the house out etc before starting on the next tub or, is it likely my house is and has always been inundated with contamination anyway, so I should get cracking on the next one??

I make grain spawn (popcorn and also WBS). I then use shoebox tubs with CVG. I keep the lid on for approx 10-14days and then turn the lid over to induce fruiting conditions. I fan and spray approx twice a day. I was only spraying a fine mist until there were tiny water beads on the casing layer. If my humidity is 99%,can I do away with the misting and just mist when the humidity goes down, but keep up with the fanning?

Cheers!

Offlinestalkplanter
Stranger
    #27464084 - 09/11/21 01:18 PM (1 month, 16 days ago)

Hi there - my friend opened her jars today and saw this. These jars have been super slow to colonize and we aren’t sure what’s going on.  Is this cobweb mold?

Offlinegone-pear-shaped
Stranger than fiction

#27464093 - 09/11/21 01:31 PM (1 month, 16 days ago)

Stalk: it looks like mycelia to me. You can also pluck that large abort from 6:00 to 3:00 and dry it.

Quote:

possummagic_000 said:
I am not sure if I should wait a while, clean the house and air the house out etc before starting on the next tub or, is it likely my house is and has always been inundated with contamination anyway, so I should get cracking on the next one??

I make grain spawn (popcorn and also WBS). I then use shoebox tubs with CVG. I keep the lid on for approx 10-14days and then turn the lid over to induce fruiting conditions. I fan and spray approx twice a day. I was only spraying a fine mist until there were tiny water beads on the casing layer. If my humidity is 99%,can I do away with the misting and just mist when the humidity goes down, but keep up with the fanning?

I don't know how long a house takes to air out (for spores to fall out of the air), but it's not ages. I'd speculate it takes a day. Opening your windows would help, but you'd still need to wait for dust to settle.

Fanning/misting is old tech, unless something is wrong with the tub or substrate. It will bead up with water on its own if your moisture content isn't super dry, and serious misting can make it too wet leading to small fruits. And fanning for a short time just isn't enough to have any effect. So mist if the water droplets don't appear, or if they appear then seem to be drying up. I take the lid off, uncover the holes, or run a dehumidifier if the water droplets look to be getting so big they are about to turn into a puddle.

Invisiblea regular
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon Flag
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: gone-pear-shaped]
    #27464908 - 09/12/21 02:12 AM (1 month, 15 days ago)

most of my agar plates are showing the same signs they grow white and healthy mycelium strands, but they tend to raise from the middle instead of just growing horizonatally in the agar. And after a while they have black ends on the web like structure.

anyone know what this is?

--------------------
"Forget it man and get with the countdown. Shake this square world and blast off for kicksville"

Offlinegone-pear-shaped
Stranger than fiction

Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: a regular] * 1
    #27464932 - 09/12/21 02:53 AM (1 month, 15 days ago)

Sorry A, that's cobweb mold or a lookalike.

Offlinepeppel36
I'm a teapot

Loc: Svezia
    #27464972 - 09/12/21 04:32 AM (1 month, 15 days ago)

With black ends, couldnt it be pin mold aswell?

OfflineBirdman7
Bird Person

Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: peppel36]
    #27465101 - 09/12/21 09:23 AM (1 month, 15 days ago)

Hello all - wondering if folks this may be contamination or if it's normal.  I'm pretty paranoid because I've had quite a few contam losses this last month (I think because I had the incubation chamber too warm as I was trying to incubate pan cyans and cubes in the same area).  It's just a few very small yellowing spots I'm noticing on these new cakes I just put into fruiting conditions a few days ago. I'm hoping it's just nothing and I'm being overprotective but any insight is greatly appreciated.  Sorry for the resolution ahead of time!

InvisibleSmartattackS
C'mon man
 User Gallery

Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: Birdman7]
    #27465357 - 09/12/21 12:44 PM (1 month, 15 days ago)

At first glance it looked like a trich bloom but the closeup shows what looks like some blobbing / mutation taking place. Doesn't look happy but I would say not all is lost yet.

Invisiblea regular
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#27465857 - 09/12/21 06:42 PM (1 month, 14 days ago)

I'm doing innoculations in a SAB so I'm surprised id be getting anything like that. I spray the SAB with iso all over, spray my scalpel with iso, spray the agar container with iso, and put all these tools in the sab, I did have my ac on which does produce a big enough breeze but I'm surprised Id be getting foreign spores in my SAB so easily.

--------------------
"Forget it man and get with the countdown. Shake this square world and blast off for kicksville"

Onlinemilkboy
student
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: a regular]
    #27465963 - 09/12/21 08:26 PM (1 month, 14 days ago)

I never spray anything inside my SAB spray hands and arms with iso, thats it.

--------------------
You know Gus?

InvisiblefahtsterM
Now With 33%More Faht
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #27466002 - 09/12/21 09:13 PM (1 month, 14 days ago)

Quote:

a regular said:
I'm doing innoculations in a SAB so I'm surprised id be getting anything like that. I spray the SAB with iso all over, spray my scalpel with iso, spray the agar container with iso, and put all these tools in the sab, I did have my ac on which does produce a big enough breeze but I'm surprised Id be getting foreign spores in my SAB so easily.

Do you flame the scalpel?  Just iso (if you do) could be the culprit

Faht

--------------------
PICTURE GALLERY

EVERYTHING FAHT, CLICK ME!

PHENO HUNTERS

Invisiblea regular
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: fahtster]
    #27466147 - 09/12/21 11:49 PM (1 month, 14 days ago)

Quote:

milkboy said:
I never spray anything inside my SAB spray hands and arms with iso, thats it.

Quote:

fahtster said:

Quote:

a regular said:

Do you flame the scalpel?  Just iso (if you do) could be the culprit

Faht

ohh that might be it, its 70% iso but im spraying the lid and bottom of the SAB and also the petri dishes. The petris are plastic but I spray them good with iso before pouring agar. And I spray the agar bottle good too beforehand. I didn't when I poured those petris basically was spraying everything with iso and then pouring dishes and cutting sections from my agar plates

--------------------

Edited by a regular (09/12/21 11:51 PM)

InvisiblefahtsterM
Now With 33%More Faht
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #27466163 - 09/12/21 11:56 PM (1 month, 14 days ago)

The scalpel is what’s touching your cultures.. that needs to be sterile.  Iso only sanitizes

--------------------
PICTURE GALLERY

EVERYTHING FAHT, CLICK ME!

PHENO HUNTERS

Invisiblea regular
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: fahtster]
    #27466195 - 09/13/21 12:17 AM (1 month, 14 days ago)

Quote:

fahtster said:
The scalpel is what’s touching your cultures.. that needs to be sterile.  Iso only sanitizes

i gotcha. So if im using bleach for the plastic petri dishes would that be enough to sterlize it?

--------------------

OfflineOra
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: in your heart
    #27466221 - 09/13/21 12:44 AM (1 month, 14 days ago)

are you spraying the INSIDE of the petri dishes? they come in sterile packages, you should pour agar directly into them without getting anything on the insides of the dishes, nor would they need spraying on the outside. if your spraying the insides with anything thats where your contams are comming from.

also seems like you had your AC on, that kinda defeats the purpose of the SAB. the room should have no moving air.

Edited by Ora (09/13/21 12:48 AM)

InvisibleWyoMX
I'm a teapot

Loc: PNW
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: Ora]
    #27466243 - 09/13/21 01:16 AM (1 month, 14 days ago)

Yup plastic petris come pre sterilized and are one and done. If you have glass they can be sterilized in the oven and in a pressure cooker. Only handle them in the sab or in the flow. Iso or bleach isn't gonna make them sterile enough to reuse if your trying to do that. Wiping the agar bottle is OK to get it as clean as possible.

Jump to top Pages: < First | < Back | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | Next >

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies