Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Parafilm, Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: < First | < Back | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | Next >
InvisibleF. 3
Flowing
Other
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: Luminous7]
    #26880993 - 08/15/20 03:39 AM (2 months, 10 days ago)

Quote:

smalltalk_canceled said:
Greymold or another myc?

all good what I see.

Quote:

Luminous7 said:
Quote:

F. 3 said:

Yeah I know what u sayin.
my friend bought it a while ago and didn't use it so I just have that thing laying around.
I do a sesh once in 2 weeks.

as u said, the precautions are the key really.

soapy water mist in the room and SAB does the trick.
I usually do SAB work naked, I don't have clothes which I would consider clean enough to work with.

Imagine someone walked in the room and your butt ass nekkid doing lab work lmao

Also ive heard of the soapy water but never tryed, i feel like it would make a slippery mess. Although it would save on iso which is in short supply these days.

I don't spray Iso in the room, fucking burns man :lol:
Soapy water sticks particles to the surfaces and clears out the space.
Just have a rag around on the floor tho make a path. :thumbup:

nobody did come in yet, but I'm living with 4 people in the flat so might happen sooner or later, they would understand on some level whats happening :wink:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleMadHatter333
We Are All Mad Here

Loc: Your Mom’s Rabbit Hole
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: MrDice]
    #26881039 - 08/15/20 05:39 AM (2 months, 10 days ago)

Quote:

MrDice said:
Thanks for the advice! I´m already prepared for the transfers :-)

Quote:

MadHatter333 said:
Take a transfer or two from the leading edges. You want to go for the cleanest most uniform looking edge. Get the myc that looks the strongest and isn’t to fuzzy because contams can hang out in the fuzzy parts. When taking a transfer you want to cut the smallest piece possible and put it in the center of a new clean plate.

I saw a post here, where someone was calling out for "hidden bacteria", the pictures shown a similar type of growth. I can´t find the original post...but this is still on my mind. Anyone who can clear this up? Thanks 🙏

Bacteria can hide just about anywhere in your myc. Sometimes you don’t even know it’s there until you go to grain or bulk. That’s partly why you want to look for the mycelium that isn’t raised or too fluffy. You can hold your plate up to the light or have a light underneath your dish and it will show more possible contams that you can avoid. You’ll start getting the hang of what’s bacteria and what is mold. Keep posting pics here if you have any concerns about contams. Welcome to mush cult and good luck on your journey with agar. It’s rewarding for sure!

--------------------

TEKs I Like

Offlineelproto
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: MadHatter333]
    #26881296 - 08/15/20 10:31 AM (2 months, 9 days ago)

Hi all
Hoping some experienced shroomery people can help me out. Attaching a pic of my latest fail - guessing this is contam and not mycelium.. this is the second lot of jars to go in the past 2 months. First ones were I think too big and got obvious green mould around the inoculation points so I chucked those. Bought tiny jars in the hope they would colonise quicker (they didn't) before they could get any nasties in there. Using sterile everything, gloves, mask, SAB, following tek with brown rice flour. Can't figure out where I'm going wrong. These cakes came out looking perfect but two days later have this mad spiky white stuff all over. Gutted, I've spent so much money on this now and just losing it... can't afford to keep throwing money at this for much longer - ready to give up and buy a kit, not sure why they get so much shade as they've never failed but this is verrrry frustrating if you can't tell - trying to tone down my frustration in this post but it's not working haha. I need to get back to microdosing my stresshead for sure. Thanks in advance for any help!

InvisibleMadHatter333
We Are All Mad Here

Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: elproto]
    #26881443 - 08/15/20 11:49 AM (2 months, 9 days ago)

Looks like aerial mycelium. Also your cakes look a bit dry, I’d give them a good misting.

Edit: not sure why you are using vermiculite as your moisture holder bellow your cake... I’d use perlite or soaked coir. Doesn’t look like you followed a Tek.

--------------------

TEKs I Like

Edited by MadHatter333 (08/15/20 11:51 AM)

OfflineFietchen
Stranger
    #26882035 - 08/15/20 06:19 PM (2 months, 9 days ago)

Ohh, it is now 2 weeks from the Injection and see some Mycelium Growing wow.. I have bought a new syringe and make everything new but why trow the old bags away :smile: yesterday i blown away that i didn't see any mold ore so pretty Cool... It can contaminate later but maybe i have some luck and it will grow healthy

Offlineelproto
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #26882067 - 08/15/20 06:35 PM (2 months, 9 days ago)

Quote:

MadHatter333 said:
Looks like aerial mycelium. Also your cakes look a bit dry, I’d give them a good misting.

Edit: not sure why you are using vermiculite as your moisture holder bellow your cake... I’d use perlite or soaked coir. Doesn’t look like you followed a Tek.

Ah for real, that's amazing if it is! As for the verm, there was a fella on youtube who did a video doing it that way. I will go for something different next time. Thanks for the advice

Offlinesmalltalk_canceled
i want canopy

Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: elproto] * 1
    #26882253 - 08/15/20 08:28 PM (2 months, 9 days ago)

thanks f3, you saved the jar. am starting to think I may have a cubensis contam in my hoogshagenii. Well thats not the worst that can happen.

OfflineCelestialexplorer1
Male

Loc: Floating in a tin can
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: smalltalk_canceled]
    #26883357 - 08/16/20 12:59 PM (2 months, 8 days ago)

I’m having an issue that began recently where the edges of a lot of my plates are getting contamed. It’s strange because this is new, I use an SAB and before I would just ISO wash my hands and be very careful and didn’t have any problems for a long time but I started to use iso washed gloves after this happened but even with a clean SAB and iso washed gloves this happens the only other thing I can think to blame is the parafilm since it’s all around the edges that’s the only thing I can make sense of. What do you guys think? Any help would be appreciated. btw the specks throughout the agar are just LME

--------------------

To spend just one moment in eternity

Edited by Celestialexplorer1 (08/16/20 01:00 PM)

OfflineMrDice
Pilzkopp
I'm a teapot

#26883440 - 08/16/20 02:09 PM (2 months, 8 days ago)

Quote:

MadHatter333 said:

Bacteria can hide just about anywhere in your myc. Sometimes you don’t even know it’s there until you go to grain or bulk. That’s partly why you want to look for the mycelium that isn’t raised or too fluffy. You can hold your plate up to the light or have a light underneath your dish and it will show more possible contams that you can avoid. You’ll start getting the hang of what’s bacteria and what is mold. Keep posting pics here if you have any concerns about contams. Welcome to mush cult and good luck on your journey with agar. It’s rewarding for sure!

Thanks for your warm words! I really appreciate 😊
It´s already fascinating to see the mycel growing...i´ll post some pictures in the future for sure.

Thanks!

--------------------
the mushroom told me: "life is beautiful" 🌈

Offlinesmalltalk_canceled
i want canopy

Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: Celestialexplorer1]
    #26884074 - 08/16/20 11:51 PM (2 months, 8 days ago)

Quote:

Celestialexplorer1 said:
I’m having an issue that began recently where the edges of a lot of my plates are getting contamed. It’s strange because this is new, I use an SAB and before I would just ISO wash my hands and be very careful and didn’t have any problems for a long time but I started to use iso washed gloves after this happened but even with a clean SAB and iso washed gloves this happens the only other thing I can think to blame is the parafilm since it’s all around the edges that’s the only thing I can make sense of. What do you guys think? Any help would be appreciated. btw the specks throughout the agar are just LME

are the plates from the same original transfer/source?

OfflineLuminous7
EarthDweller
I'm a teapot

Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: Celestialexplorer1]
    #26884097 - 08/17/20 12:10 AM (2 months, 8 days ago)

Quote:

Celestialexplorer1 said:

I had this once, not sure why either.

Maybe your not wrapping enough parafilm? or maybe your parafilm is old?

Im curious to know to . 

Are you getting this one just 1 plate or a whole bunch?

--------------------

OfflineLuminous7
EarthDweller
I'm a teapot

#26884682 - 08/17/20 12:21 PM (2 months, 7 days ago)

Popped up overnight, cased with pasturized jiffy mix 2-3 days ago, all was looking good. :facepalm:

Could it be my temps during pasturization are riding the lower end of the spectrum to long? 140F being the lowest . Pasturize for about 60-75 min.

--------------------

Offlinechromeleon
Stranger

#26884999 - 08/17/20 03:14 PM (2 months, 7 days ago)

Just noticed these fuzzy brownish spots starting to pop up on a couple of my cakes. These are from my first grow so I'm not confident ID'ing contam yet. I've isolated them from my other cakes for now. Can somebody weigh in?

OfflineCrashTest
Stay Learning

Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: chromeleon]
    #26885053 - 08/17/20 03:37 PM (2 months, 7 days ago)

2nd pic looks like mold to me. It will spread fast if it’s mold. Try not to touch it or mist it cuz it’s already sporulated. If you ever see hairlike projections with black dots at the end it’s surely mold. It will likely stink too. I would be careful handling those as you could spread the spores to your other cakes

--------------------
:mushroom2: this account is automated, any posts related to activities or advice thereof are strictly opinions from numerous online sites and are for informational purposes only - CrashTest2020:mushroom2:

OfflineSteelGully
Just Strange
Female User Gallery

Loc: Bottom of the world
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: Kizzle]
    #26885073 - 08/17/20 03:51 PM (2 months, 7 days ago)

This has to be my fav post man, as a noob there is so much valuable info here it blows my mind. I think it is my most revisited post here. Huge thanks to OP and to all who have contibuted to it <3 mush love

--------------------
Loving the shroom journey!
:mushroom2: :nyan: :tardpig: :goat: :sporedrop:
:typonese: :aweyeah:

Offlinechromeleon
Stranger

Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: CrashTest]
    #26885082 - 08/17/20 03:58 PM (2 months, 7 days ago)

They haven't really progressed to where I can see definite sporophores and there's no smell so far. As soon as I noticed them I moved them to another container and washed my hands, so hopefully the other cakes are fine if that is indeed mold.

OfflineTolldom
Noob Swede
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: chromeleon]
    #26887715 - 08/19/20 05:27 AM (2 months, 6 days ago)

Heya,

Just started my first mushroom grow ever.
I got two mycelium syringes from the dealer and one turned out to be little bit more yellow than the other..
The dealer said it was because different agar? Idk.

Anyways.. I started out a batch with popcorn and used the yellowish mycelium syringe first.. I Thought i fucked up because the mycelium got stuck and the needle fell off during inoculation.

Therefore i thought that batch gonna be lost so i started another one.
Seems now like both is growing somehow but very different and im worried about contamination...

https://i.postimg.cc/Zn13CGCh/Koloni.png

1st picture = 2nd batch. (Inoculation 9 days ago)
2nd and 3rd picture is first batch, inoculation 12 days ago...

Anyone can tell why is the first filled with red popcorns and doesnt seem to have very healthy mycel?

Thanks in advance =)

Edited by Tolldom (08/19/20 09:02 AM)

InvisibleMadHatter333
We Are All Mad Here

Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: Tolldom]
    #26887811 - 08/19/20 07:15 AM (2 months, 6 days ago)

Just a FYI, most people on this site won’t open third party links to view pictures. Try uploading it to the site by clicking on the mountain icon above the text box, then upload, then when uploaded copy and paste the link provided into the text you are trying to post.

--------------------

TEKs I Like

OfflineInthepit
Anicca, Dukkha, Anatta
Male User Gallery

Loc: Puerto Rico
    #26887887 - 08/19/20 08:44 AM (2 months, 5 days ago)

Quote:

MadHatter333 said:
Just a FYI, most people on this site won’t open third party links to view pictures. Try uploading it to the site by clicking on the mountain icon above the text box, then upload, then when uploaded copy and paste the link provided into the text you are trying to post.

:whathesaid:

--------------------
GLOSSARY    Team Telephone ☎️ FTW!  :chugbeer:    Pioppino noob log

OfflineTolldom
Noob Swede
    #26887919 - 08/19/20 09:09 AM (2 months, 5 days ago)

Quote:

MadHatter333 said:

Quote:

Inthepit said:

Alright, thanks. I've updated now. =)

I can add that the mycel doesnt seem to spread very fast either compared to videos i looked at youtube.

They sit in a dark closet with constant 25-27°C (77-80°F)

Also.. Anyone got an idea what this black thingy is?

Edited by Tolldom (08/19/20 09:16 AM)

Jump to top. Pages: < First | < Back | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | Next >

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Parafilm, Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation