Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | < Back | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | Next > | Last >
Offlineoculodextro
Male
Loc: Space is the Place
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: ucantplaycorsairs]
    #26642992 - 05/02/20 07:04 AM (3 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

ucantplaycorsairs said:
So you want to tell that it's OK that rice is blue and looks rotten?

Actually I just saw a nasty blue spot towards the bottom of second jar. On second look, probably contammed.

Or is that blue spot marker/ink?

Edited by oculodextro (05/02/20 07:05 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineucantplaycorsairs
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: oculodextro]
    #26643005 - 05/02/20 07:12 AM (3 years, 11 months ago)

No, this spot is just marker on the glass.

OfflineMrSwan
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: ucantplaycorsairs]
    #26643164 - 05/02/20 08:31 AM (3 years, 11 months ago)

Hi,

I'm new to cultivating mushrooms, so I'm still figuring out the traits. Luckily i'm in the position to home order mycelium cakes, so I can start pretty easy.

The first cake I got I unfortunately had to bury in the garden because it got contaminated. I've then gotten a second cake. While moisturising the plastic bag some water drops fell down on the cake, and then happened what I was afraid for: contamination. Again. Apparently I didn't sterilise the sprayer properly.. Damn.

None the less the cake is producing its first yield now. I'm planning on harvesting the mushrooms and burying this cake together with the first one..

Just to get a confirmation: am I correct that I can still eat these shrooms and that the cake is lost, or is there still a way to save it and to get more flushes from it?

Thanks!

Edited by MrSwan (05/02/20 08:32 AM)

Offlinepoisoned
untitled
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Yurop
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: MrSwan]
    #26643388 - 05/02/20 10:23 AM (3 years, 11 months ago)

Yes, you can eat those mushrooms and no, that contamination didn't happen because of water drops falling on the cake or sprayer sterilization. It happened because your provider sent you contaminated cakes.

That's why we like to DIY everything here, because then the only person to blame is yourself.

--------------------
How I do glass dishes

OfflineMrSwan
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: poisoned]
    #26645397 - 05/03/20 07:50 AM (3 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks!

I'm drying the shrooms right no so hopefully the effort will pay off a bit, even though it's not what it should be.

I guess you were right about the cake being contaminated. After I got it out of the box to crumble it up, I saw there was some green mold on the bottom of the cake as well..

Offlineoculodextro
Male
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: MrSwan]
    #26645403 - 05/03/20 07:54 AM (3 years, 11 months ago)

Did you bury it outside, can still get some more flushes possibly.

Offlinederrygirl
Stranger
    #26645677 - 05/03/20 10:47 AM (3 years, 11 months ago)

This is awesome thank you for the wonderful photos.

OfflineDouronaut
Stranger
I'm a teapot
    #26645694 - 05/03/20 10:58 AM (3 years, 11 months ago)

Hi everyone,

I have some jars of not super accurately prepared agar (first time try). There was a bit of liquid emulsion/water on the surface, when the ancient spores that I had were added, which swirled around whatever got into the jar with it. At least that's how I think this growth came about. So, this is the only one of ten jars that has produced anything except one other with bacteria contamination in it, and unfortunately it seems the spores are fckd. I would just like to confirm, that this isn't some funky mycelium growth, and perhaps get to know about what sort of fungus I'm dealing with?

Thanks and cheers

InvisibleRyeHumor
MasterProcrastinator
Male

Loc: Yeast Of Knowhere
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: Douronaut]
    #26645729 - 05/03/20 11:10 AM (3 years, 11 months ago)

Someone else can chime in as to whether or not that myc looks good.

Really it looks fluffy white and it could be what you're after or not, really don't know. At least it doesn't appear to be bacterial.

One thing I would say is that swirling is not the best thing to do.

I know it seems like that's how you spread the spores around but really it's like a train for contamination zipping around your plate.

People use a loop or a syringe needle to streak really small amounts of the spores across the plate hopefully bringing so little contamination along (if present) that the myc can express itself without the contamination taking over.

When you roll beads of water around you're plate it has the ability to spread the contamination everywhere, more so than with the above method.

But you can always just try taking a small amount of that myc and putting it on a clean plate.

It would be good practice, and who knows subsequent plates might be easier to identify.

If its cubes you're trying to grow, and you make a small transfer to a fresh plate. You may be able to confirm that its contamination if satellite growth starts. Where cubes stay as one mass on the plate.

Offlineoculodextro
Male
    #26645737 - 05/03/20 11:13 AM (3 years, 11 months ago)

Hard to really tell from the picture, could you maybe take a shot from underneath.

Doesn't look terrible, sometimes you get that cottony growth. What type of spores were they?

OfflineDouronaut
Stranger
I'm a teapot
    #26645793 - 05/03/20 11:42 AM (3 years, 11 months ago)

Hi RyeHumor and oculodextro,

thank you for the suggestions! Yes, it is supposed to be cubes (previously grown successfully from that print) and wow, I had actually not thought this might still be anything useful, as all the other jars remained empty.
Unfortunately the agar layer is pretty thick and opaque, and I just had non-transparent lids to go on top, so I can't really take pictures from below or above before opening the jar for myc transfer.

@RyeHumor I get exactly what you mean now after having thought more about the procedure and what it is actually meant to do. I definitely learn best through mistakes.

Anyway, you two not dismissing this at first sight gives me some hope, and I'll just try to transfer some of it to new agar plates and see what's gonna happen.

Offlineoculodextro
Male
    #26645802 - 05/03/20 11:45 AM (3 years, 11 months ago)

I may be wrong here, but I believe it does that when it's low on oxygen?

Offlinepoisoned
untitled

#26645889 - 05/03/20 12:29 PM (3 years, 11 months ago)

My germination plates always look like this

--------------------
How I do glass dishes

InvisiblecoAsTal
Friend
 User Gallery

Loc: 8a
    #26645924 - 05/03/20 12:46 PM (3 years, 11 months ago)

I've been dealing with trich contamination that has ruined everything I've been doing for three months-- a couple dozen jars now.

The only remaining jar I have going (ATL#7) WBS jar turns pink.

Jesus fucking christ, I can't catch a break.

:rightinthedick:

--------------------
I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the Heart's affections and the truth of Imagination--  John Keats

Spore Trading List

OfflineCrackatoa
Stranger in a strange land

Loc: Over by your Mama's house Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: coAsTal]
    #26645929 - 05/03/20 12:49 PM (3 years, 11 months ago)

I'm cleaning 56 green jars today, FUCKIN A !

--------------------

Crack's Tek's and Shit

Offlineoculodextro
Male
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: Crackatoa]
    #26645938 - 05/03/20 12:52 PM (3 years, 11 months ago)

I just tossed out 30 agar plates

Sunday bloody sunday

OfflineDouronaut
Stranger
I'm a teapot
    #26645985 - 05/03/20 01:11 PM (3 years, 11 months ago)

I guess it probably isn't low oxygen as I used cake jars which are perforated and sealed with micropore tape, so there should be some air exchange happening.

I acutally just realized I hadn't checked all the jars, which I stored in different locations, and the last one actually has the same kind of mycelium spawning in one spot, exactly where I inserted the spores onto the agar (this one didn't have water on the surface). There seems to be  some odd shiny kind of contamination in the centre. The other side looks pretty good however, and I'll make a test transfer of this as well, when the other ones are done.

Quote:

poisoned said:
My germination plates always look like this

Haha, I don't know exactly if that is bad for you or good for me, jk, good to hear that. :laugh:

Good luck everybody

Offlinetzeoba
Stranger
    #26647773 - 05/04/20 08:43 AM (3 years, 11 months ago)

Hello everyone. I had only one mushroom as my shrooms grow that looks a bit black/green maybe due to bruising but i want your opinion if possible.

Offlinewitchdocta
Stranger
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: tzeoba]
    #26649472 - 05/05/20 12:51 AM (3 years, 11 months ago)

Hello everyone!

I`ve been growing shrooms with trays now for about a year. I use grain and coco\verm and used to get beautiful results. The last 4-5 months though things have gone downhill. When in the beginning maybe 1 out of 10 trays got contaminated, now it`s close to 9 out of 10! I haven`t changed anything in my methods.

My growroom is small, basically furniture free and I clean it and all the equipment regularly. I use chlorine and rubbing alcohol. All the trays look and smell fine and get contaminated in the final, fruiting stage.

Could it be that there are just so many spores floating around in my other rooms that no matter how much I clean my growing room they just end up in there? I love growing but I`m frustrated and on the verge of giving up! What else can I do? I hope you have some advice for me.

Here are some pictures just in case. One of the trays is clean (for now at least), and there are at least three types of contaminants on another.

Offlinepoisoned
untitled

Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: witchdocta]
    #26649570 - 05/05/20 02:07 AM (3 years, 11 months ago)

The more important question is when and how are you doing your inoculations.

--------------------
How I do glass dishes

Jump to top Pages: < First | < Back | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | Next > | Last >

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck