Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | < Back | 123 | 124 | 125 | 126 | 127 | 128 | 129 | 130 | 131 | 132 | 133 | 134 | 135 | 136 | 137 | 138 | 139 | 140 | 141 | 142 | 143 | Next > | Last >
Invisiblepablokabute
Hari ng Amag
 User Gallery

Loc: rural ghetto
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: Rotnpins]
    #27880862 - 07/28/22 07:18 PM (1 year, 10 months ago)

I just have questions.

Q.1.
If your agar transfers develop whitish pools of excess water, is it safe to assume that it caught(or you transferred) bacteria to the new plate? Or could it possibly be just excess water buildup on the agar?

Q.2.
If you wanna transfer bacterial mushroom tissue to a new plate, what do you do? Antibiotic agar?

Thanks for the help.

--------------------

Fermented Mushrooms!!
--- https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/23378638/fpart/1/vc/1

'The second seal: “All CONTAMINATED things and events are unsatisfactory.”'

"I envy you. You North Americans are very lucky. You are fighting the most important fight of all - you live in THE HEART OF THE BEAST."

--Anonymous Guerilla, or is he..

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSmellyhobbitM
Actual Retard
Male User Gallery

Loc: Hole
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: pablokabute]
    #27880884 - 07/28/22 07:30 PM (1 year, 10 months ago)

Quote:

pablokabute said:
I just have questions.

Q.1.
If your agar transfers develop whitish pools of excess water, is it safe to assume that it caught(or you transferred) bacteria to the new plate? Or could it possibly be just excess water buildup on the agar?

Q.2.
If you wanna transfer bacterial mushroom tissue to a new plate, what do you do? Antibiotic agar?

Thanks for the help.

There’s actually a tek designed specifically for bacterial myc. It’s a BRF puck biopsy.

Basically you make a dish with PF tek substrate, poke the mycelium you want to save with a sterile syringe full of sterile water, and then squirt a little water onto the center of the puck. It takes a microscopic tissue sample, and we all know bacteria won’t thrive in PF substrate. Allegedly works really really well.

--------------------
A Love Letter to New Growers
A Guide for New Growers
Need Spores? - Sablabs.org

Just because your tub contamed, doesn’t mean your attitude has to contam as well. :mushroom:

OfflineSmellyhobbitM
Actual Retard
Male User Gallery

#27880888 - 07/28/22 07:31 PM (1 year, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Rotnpins said:
So, I've been struggling with this Tidal Wave clone culture for a while.. I think it's enmeshed with something that I can't seem to get rid of.. it gets to right around the first flush pins and trichs out on me... I've taken plate pins to new plates and had the plate pin go south on me..

This jar looks exactly like the last 2 that contaminated right before the first flush.. does it have some visual signs that are indicators of the spawn being the issue?

I'm thinking about trying to top fruit this one to see if I can actually get something..
(I know, it's probably time to trash the culture and move on)

I'm taking one last stab at it after this jar with a plate pin I cut open and took a tissue sample of to see if that will come out clean..

There’s nothing that I can see visually wrong with this. Whatever it is, if it’s still giving you trouble, I’d top fruit and take a tissue sample. See if that helps. If your tissue sample develops the same problems, man, I’d get different spores.

--------------------
A Guide for New Growers

Just because your tub contamed, doesn’t mean your attitude has to contam as well. :mushroom:

Edited by Smellyhobbit (07/28/22 07:32 PM)

OfflineRotnpins
🤮 Rotten-Pins 🍄
Male User Gallery

Loc: in (front of) the hood
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: Smellyhobbit]
    #27881004 - 07/28/22 08:15 PM (1 year, 10 months ago)

:werd:

I think I'm going to top fruit it, take whatever I get, and give up on this culture... I've spent way too much time on it. Probably should have given up on it a while ago.. but it was from the best tub I've grown so far, both in wight produced and potency.. first flush was 500g wet from 1myco qt spawn.. but every clone I took from it, no matter how many transfers, has been a shit show :facepalm3:

however I did manage to get a batch of pf tek cakes from LC I made from it. They're starting to fruit now, so maybe all the time I spent on it won't be a total loss

OfflineSmellyhobbitM
Actual Retard
Male User Gallery

Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: Kizzle]
    #27881021 - 07/28/22 08:27 PM (1 year, 10 months ago)

500g wet from 1 qt is awesome. I guess think of it fondly, eh? That’s all part and parcel of this hobby, I gather.

Maybe the cakes will breathe a little life into the situation.

--------------------
A Guide for New Growers

OfflinePinkey
Stranger

Loc: In Your MudaFukin Head
    #27881124 - 07/28/22 10:08 PM (1 year, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Rotnpins said:
So, I've been struggling with this Tidal Wave clone culture for a while.. I think it's enmeshed with something that I can't seem to get rid of.. it gets to right around the first flush pins and trichs out on me... I've taken plate pins to new plates and had the plate pin go south on me..

This jar looks exactly like the last 2 that contaminated right before the first flush.. does it have some visual signs that are indicators of the spawn being the issue?

I'm thinking about trying to top fruit this one to see if I can actually get something..
(I know, it's probably time to trash the culture and move on)

I'm taking one last stab at it after this jar with a plate pin I cut open and took a tissue sample of to see if that will come out clean..

That jar looks bacterial. If you look closely you can see wet uncolonized grains against the glass, there is also quite a bit of condensation.

If you are sure it is the culture and not your sterile technique or sterilization process; I would look at some water agar teks. I heard people use water agar to clean up dirty cultures.

--------------------
"Looky here, baby... You're hittin' them cornaz too goddamn fast.  You need to slow this muthafucka down.  Ya understand?  I almost spilt my yack on this $200 suit, nicca.  C'mon, baby, get it togetha."

Pinky

OfflineRotnpins
🤮 Rotten-Pins 🍄
Male User Gallery

Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: Pinkey]
    #27881224 - 07/29/22 12:21 AM (1 year, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Pinkey said:
That jar looks bacterial. If you look closely you can see wet uncolonized grains against the glass, there is also quite a bit of condensation.

If you are sure it is the culture and not your sterile technique or sterilization process; I would look at some water agar teks. I heard people use water agar to clean up dirty cultures.

Thank you. It definitely does have a bacterial look to it. Some of the mycelium looks a little thick. I plan on pouring some new plates tomorrow, so I'll try pouring a few with water agar to see if it helps me clean it up.

Offlinecozmyc
gentle modern ape
I'm a teapot User Gallery

#27881351 - 07/29/22 05:58 AM (1 year, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Rotnpins said:

I think I'm going to top fruit it, take whatever I get, and give up on this culture... I've spent way too much time on it. Probably should have given up on it a while ago.. but it was from the best tub I've grown so far, both in wight produced and potency.. first flush was 500g wet from 1myco qt spawn.. but every clone I took from it, no matter how many transfers, has been a shit show :facepalm3:

however I did manage to get a batch of pf tek cakes from LC I made from it. They're starting to fruit now, so maybe all the time I spent on it won't be a total loss

Maybe drop a single grain on a puck let it grow a little and then sandwich pour some agar on top. I'd hate to see your time and work be wasted  For my next clone in going to try the needle biposy. :mushroom2:

--------------------
You're conscious population 2 stardust
----------------------
Nothing matters so everything does :sunny:

Edited by cozmyc (07/29/22 05:59 AM)

OfflineSmellyhobbitM
Actual Retard
Male User Gallery

#27881365 - 07/29/22 06:14 AM (1 year, 10 months ago)

I’m currently trying to needle biopsy my two largest fruits onto BRF cakes. Very interested to see if it lives up to the promises made in the tek! They say it’s like magic it works so well.

--------------------
A Guide for New Growers

OfflineRotnpins
🤮 Rotten-Pins 🍄
Male User Gallery

Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: cozmyc] * 1
    #27881367 - 07/29/22 06:19 AM (1 year, 10 months ago)

Quote:

cozmyc said:
Quote:

Rotnpins said:

Maybe drop a single grain on a puck let it grow a little and then sandwich pour some agar on top. I'd hate to see your time and work be wasted  For my next clone in going to try the needle biposy. :mushroom2:

I finally have some encouraging results after trying to clean up this clone for a couple months.. the pf tek cakes I made using the clone LC are starting to fruit. So I'll probably just re clone some of the fruits and see how that goes

Here's one of the original clone donors

OfflineSmellyhobbitM
Actual Retard
Male User Gallery

#27881374 - 07/29/22 06:31 AM (1 year, 10 months ago)

Nice! There ya go.

--------------------
A Guide for New Growers

Offlinecozmyc
gentle modern ape

#27881754 - 07/29/22 01:27 PM (1 year, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Rotnpins said:

Hell yeah man! Love those massive fruits on cakes like that!

--------------------
You're conscious population 2 stardust
----------------------
Nothing matters so everything does :sunny:

Offlinerod3055
Stranger
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: cozmyc]
    #27883403 - 07/30/22 08:22 PM (1 year, 10 months ago)

Hello guys! First post here, but I've been reading for months an got a lot of good info from all of you. 

So I'm in my first grow, GT spores to agar, to grains, to coir in a monotub.

First tube got some green mold and I threw it away. Now the second one showed some green mold as well. It's been 18 days since grains-coir transfer, in the last few days the colonization slowed and I got those yellow/rust stains (in both tubs), which I suppose is metabolites of the mycelium fighting the contamination. today I got the first bit of green mold. Tried to clean it, but I doubt it will fruit, just wanted some feedback of what may have gone wrong.

First tub was never open and got contamination. Second tub (in the pics) I opened a couple times to spray water, but it already had the yellow droplets before open. Grains looked completely white. Coir was hydrated with boiling water.

My first hypothesis might be the filter I improvised cutting some facemasks (I live in a small country in the tropics, couldn't find the proper filters). I'll try to cover the holes completely during colonization next time.

My second hypothesis: could it be too much water? I followed some videos of proper field capacity, but I think I was more on the wet side. What are the signs of a substrate too dry vs too wet?

Third hypothesis would be not enough temperature. Normal temperature here ranges from 18 - 25 but I just left it in a closed room that would be on the cold side of that range. Any ideas?

I appreciate every feedback! Thanks!

InvisibleBigwormS
Male User Gallery

Loc: Murica
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: rod3055]
    #27883501 - 07/30/22 09:24 PM (1 year, 10 months ago)

It's not good. It looks like you had bacterial spawn. Your sub might have been bacterial as well. You have a ton of metabolite on the surface. The only good thing I can see is you have knots forming. Let it go and see if you get anything from it. It looks like you should mist it, the surface looks dry despite the metabolites on it.

--------------------
Only you know your mushrooms true potency.

"I'm too insane to explain, and you're too normal to understand" -unknown

My Journals
Pastywhyte’s Ez dialed monotubs
My Miraculix Potency Test Results
My opinion when to harvest shrooms
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Shroomery

Edited by Bigworm (07/30/22 09:25 PM)

Offlinerod3055
Stranger
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: Bigworm]
    #27883572 - 07/30/22 10:44 PM (1 year, 10 months ago)

Thank you Bigworm! Is it normal to pressure cook the coir? Is there any other way to avoid contamination in the sub? I think I used to little sub, like one inch maybe that's why it dried up quickly, will mist it and see how it goes. thanks!

OfflineClarkHarglark

Loc: Fennario
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: rod3055]
    #27883904 - 07/31/22 09:44 AM (1 year, 10 months ago)

July might have been a bad month for me to try APE. The heat in my space was at a consistent 85 degrees. This tub seemed to stall out after about 2 weeks never really breaking though the top layer. S2B was on 7/3.

I can’t identify this contam so I thought I’d bring it here.. the uncolonized top layer was full of fungus gnats. I think I’ll try APE again when things cool off and I get a little better with my sterile technique.

--------------------

OfflineRotnpins
🤮 Rotten-Pins 🍄
Male User Gallery

#27883911 - 07/31/22 09:56 AM (1 year, 10 months ago)

Any thoughts on this jar? Bacterial?

OfflineJXAllen
Cannalyst

Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: ClarkHarglark] * 1
    #27884075 - 07/31/22 12:56 PM (1 year, 10 months ago)

Quote:

ClarkHarglark said:
July might have been a bad month for me to try APE. The heat in my space was at a consistent 85 degrees. This tub seemed to stall out after about 2 weeks never really breaking though the top layer. S2B was on 7/3.

I can’t identify this contam so I thought I’d bring it here.. the uncolonized top layer was full of fungus gnats. I think I’ll try APE again when things cool off and I get a little better with my sterile technique.

Looks like slime mold to me.

--------------------
There are only 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that do not.
Cultures I'm workin on

Edited by JXAllen (07/31/22 12:57 PM)

OfflineCrazetypebeat
Stranger
    #27884764 - 07/31/22 10:29 PM (1 year, 10 months ago)

Contam? This is my 2nd flush and i dunked it for a day. Is that an outdated tek?

InvisibleWyoMX
Loc: PNW
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: Crazetypebeat] * 1
    #27884895 - 08/01/22 04:09 AM (1 year, 10 months ago)

I personally wouldn't dunk that long maybe like 8 to 12 hours max I normally do like 3 or 4 hours or just mist really heavy for a few days. But also make sure to clean off all the aborts and stumps and everything from the surface.

Jump to top Pages: < First | < Back | 123 | 124 | 125 | 126 | 127 | 128 | 129 | 130 | 131 | 132 | 133 | 134 | 135 | 136 | 137 | 138 | 139 | 140 | 141 | 142 | 143 | Next > | Last >

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract