Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemegaman3
Stranger
Which edible mushrooms can be found in pastures/dung?
    #2311106 - 02/07/04 07:07 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

What edible species can usually be found in horse/cow pastures and dung? There is a farm nearby and I'd like to see if I can eat any of my finds. Plus it's a lot less stressful than hunting for psychoactives, which don't even occur in my region anyway. But if I tell the farmer that I want to hunt for mushrooms in his field, I'm afraid that he'd think I was only after psychoactive ones. Knowing common edibles would be better than just saying I want to hunt for mushrooms.

Thanks.

Edited by megaman3 (02/12/06 09:30 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: Which edible mushrooms can be found in pastures/dung? [Re: megaman3]
    #2311119 - 02/07/04 07:22 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Farmers may seem stupid but they know about the mushrooms in their fields and those who tell stories to try to get in and pick them. OF course it is cool to ask permission.

Morels grow in apple orchards and Chantrelles grow oalonf mountain sides and button mushrooms grow in pastures and on lawns.

Good luck. One thing is where are you and in what state. Because different shrooms grow at different times of the year and many shrooms can be picked in cities in gardens, homes, office buildings, and parks. In other words in public places.

mj

And read the Faqs please

OfflineBluMonkee
keeper of thelittle people

Loc: Lookin' for an Incident
    #2311122 - 02/07/04 07:26 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

probably not gonna' work with most farmers. Anyone who has had cattle for any period of time more than likely knows about the shrooms growing in their pasture and that the people that are looking for them ain't using 'em in their dinner. Your best bet is to introduce yourself, tell them you study mushrooms (all mushrooms), not necessarily a student of, just a hobby, and offer to trade them help around the farm in exchange for permission to study on their property. Take notes, take pictures, collect some samples and be a stand up person and you just may have some luck :thumbup: It's worked for me :tongue2:

--------------------
"If I don't see ya' in the future, I'll see ya' in the pasture"

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
Re: Which edible mushrooms can be found in pastures/dung? [Re: BluMonkee]
    #2311142 - 02/07/04 07:48 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

believe it or not, edible mushroom hunting is just as common if not more common than psilocybian mushroom hunting. asking a farmer's permission is more likely to be productive than you seem to think.

your advice is also a good idea, though i doubt most farmers would take someone up on the offer for returned services.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Offlinemegaman3
Stranger
Re: Which edible mushrooms can be found in pastures/dung? [Re: mjshroomer]
    #2311213 - 02/07/04 08:55 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks for the reply.

Edited by megaman3 (02/12/06 09:31 AM)

OfflineBluMonkee

Re: Which edible mushrooms can be found in pastures/dung? [Re: canid]
    #2311265 - 02/07/04 09:34 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

concretefeet said:

your advice is also a good idea, though i doubt most farmers would take someone up on the offer for returned services.

it's worked for me twice now  :thumbup: but yeah, it's probably not common, I've just been lucky  :cool:

--------------------

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
    #2311454 - 02/07/04 11:46 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

And outside of Agaricus speciues I doubnt that you would find any edibles in the pastures.

Try riding stbgles or look for large compost heaps and haystacks between the thaw and may.

mj

Also find Anfgryshroom's post of his large compost heap with hundreds, if not thousands of panawolus subbalteatus form Northern California.

have a shroomy day,

mj

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#2312000 - 02/07/04 02:29 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Here's my last thread of subbalteatus:
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Forum3&Number=2164810&fpart=&PHPSESSID=

Anyways, I find them growing from late November through early March. Like MJ said, they grow on a huge heap of stable shavings/manure that is cleaned out of the stables everyday.

When I go there, I actually will talk to people, there are usually a good 10 people there every day, and I just cruise up to the heap in the back. No one has asked me what I have been looking for, I just tell them that I am doing some study for the university.

Actually, one time was pretty funny...I told this guy about the mushrooms I was finding around the area, saying they are rare species for the environment...etc... Then he speaks in a low voice: "Do you know where to get any magic mushrooms?!" I look at him and roll my eyes and say, "Dude, those don't grow around here!"
:biggrin:

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#2312008 - 02/07/04 02:31 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Oh and yes, Agaricus osecanus do grow in pasturelands. They are named the "Giant horse mushroom". I dont know if they would actually grow up there in Canada though.

Might as well try! :smile:

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Which edible mushrooms can be found in pastures/dung? [Re: angryshroom]
    #2312410 - 02/07/04 05:22 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Another species I have found in that type of habitat is Coprinus comatus (Shaggy Manes). When I find them in pastures, they typically are fruiting along the edges of dirt roads.

If you want to try to present yourself to farmers in that way, a good thing to do is become a member of the local mycological society. Most mycological society members' focus is on edible mushrooms, and they will also be able to help you learn the species available in your area.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlinellamaboy
the weasel thatsnagged the bee

Loc: Portland PNW
Re: Which edible mushrooms can be found in pastures/dung? [Re: ToxicMan]
    #2312606 - 02/07/04 06:37 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

a question about pan subbs: do they only grow from manured lands? or will they grow in composts heaps without manure? the only reason i ask is because i work next to a gigantic park and they leave all there cuttings in one place, i highly doubt that it is manured though.

OfflineBluMonkee

#2312947 - 02/07/04 09:04 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

[quote
Actually, one time was pretty funny...I told this guy about the mushrooms I was finding around the area, saying they are rare species for the environment...etc... Then he speaks in a low voice: "Do you know where to get any magic mushrooms?!" I look at him and roll my eyes and say, "Dude, those don't grow around here!"
:biggrin:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

--------------------

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #2313142 - 02/07/04 10:32 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

It's all wishy-washy here in florida with the farmers, because no matter how you look at it, they don't just have a cow-field, but they also have "shroom-field" ehehe!~
-They're the most prominant of mushrooms to be found in their pastures (not much edible out there to-be-true about it :smile:)

The mushrooms that do best in their fields are in fact the magic-ones. Psilocybe cubensis and Copelandia cyanescens and other Panaeolus mushrooms, all of course on the turds!

To be quite frank, 99% of the time (in florida) it won't be an edible species like Parasol or Meadow mushroom; 99% of the time in a florida field you're going to be finding mostly Panaeolus/Copelandia and Psilocybe mushrooms in there (growing from the dung).

The only others i can think of in florida to hunt in pasturelands is Boletes, but you will find 90X's more Panaeolus and Psilocybe mushrooms than you will Boletes while Bolete hunting in florida.

It is mostly Panaeolus Copelandia Psilocybe Coprinus & Conocybes on dung in florida; nothing really edible

I've found Parasol mushrooms out there a few times. A few rare moments, between about 80,000 other psycadelic shrooms i had seen before it to get to. So it's not much of for the dinner plate, but, it's grounds for a good convincing excuse

:mushroom2:

Offlinemegaman3
Stranger
Re: Which edible mushrooms can be found in pastures/dung? [Re: mjshroomer]
    #2313779 - 02/08/04 06:42 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

MJ, when you say to go look at riding stables, I don't understand how that differs from asking a farmer to look on his land. Wouldn't you still have to ask the riding stable owner if you can look around? I'm sure it would look strange if one loitered and walked around the place with a basket or paper bags, crouching and looking at the ground, instead of trying to get a horse. Surely someone who works there would come and ask what they was doing, no? I suppose that if it was very busy one day, then no one would notice if someone did it quickly.

Edited by megaman3 (02/12/06 09:34 AM)

Offlinemegaman3
Stranger
    #2313790 - 02/08/04 07:00 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks angryshroom, that was interesting!

Edited by megaman3 (02/12/06 09:34 AM)

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
    #2313901 - 02/08/04 09:21 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Hey, I first went to a certain riding stable near Olympia, Washington in the late 1970s with Paul Stamets and Gary Lincoff and a few others.

They board horses there and have maybe 40 or fifty at a time or sometimes just a few. They have horse shows. I go there every evey and have for the past 7 years now and did so from 1977 through 1986. They also have free giant hay copmpost heaps for anyone who wants to load up some compost for their small family sized gardens.

Last spring, Roadkill and I, along with Joshua and Pleezer, went there, and I think RoadKill and I went trice, including the time we went to visit with Paul Stamets for a few hours (pictures also posted here somewhere). Although we only found P. coprophila's, Panaeolus sphinctrinus, Panaeolus campanulatus and Panaeolus semiovatus, we will probably take a drive down there aoround the first week of March if there is any rain at the time. We never need to ask permission there or at other ones we have gone to in the PNW.

It is a very large place and no one has ever bothered us. A few times someone has says "what are you folks up to" or "what are you folks picking or photographing but country folk can be real nice. It is all in your attitude and how you act around them. I personally have had only a few instances of threats picking shrooms during my iife.

Like when my friends and I were parked near the Monroe Prison farm picking liberty caps years ago and two guards came out and threatened to have our car plowed into the ditch with their tractor if we did't leave. They said they did not want the prisoners inside finding out about the shrooms.

Of course that was how I knew from someone I met in the public market who told t me they grew there.

I even use to sell some at the public market in the stall when I sold my first book there at my booth space in 1976-1978. I also had chantrelles and other tasty morsels such as boletees and matsutake in the fall monthas and jak o' Lanterns, etc.

Anyway, riding stables owners generally are very cool people and do not hassle people when you go there, especially the larger they are the better they are.

I also use to pick P. subbalteatus at Longacres in south center mall but it is not there any more.

Also reminds me of the 100,000 mushroom patch found a few years ago at a riding stable in England where they had planted woodchips the year before. Reports from the English mycologists who visited the place said they were P. cyanescens. I have the news clippings in my files, Maybe I already posted that one at my site. Not sure. Working on the bibliography and I have a dozen English and/or UK posts to add about shroms

have a shroomy day.

mj
Me and Gartz found Gympopilus sp (with bluing at the one near Olympia and also found about four pounds of blue ringers in the woodchips and stable shavings. Something I had never seen there before.

mj

And Angry Shroom had a giant compost heap where he got his big patch near Sacramento. A few years ago Joshua found a lawn with hundreds of P. subbalteatus on them. I do not think heois lawn reproduced a second year, but he scored big on that lawn. Both Angry Shrooms images and Joshuas are posted here somewhere in the archives.
mj or you can see Angry Shrooms Pan. Sub pictures posted in the species ID in the Shroomery's Ultimate Field Guide,

mj

mj

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#2314170 - 02/08/04 11:36 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Its actually a public stable area, however it is not city owned. There are approx. 50 horses, and I think people do training there for something or other.

I just walk in.

Ive noticed with other stables that they will most likely always have a manure heap somewhere. They have to clean the stables out, and they aren't going to dump it somewhere else....so they have a heap. Just ask someone where you could find it!

Invisiblejoe_millionaire
Lifelong Student

#2315336 - 02/08/04 07:10 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

BluMonkee said:
probably not gonna' work with most farmers. Anyone who has had cattle for any period of time more than likely knows about the shrooms growing in their pasture

And most of the time they don't want you on their field for insurance reasons and could care less about the shrooms.

Be sure to mentally thank the pricks that sued a farmer when they cut their nut sac on his barbed wire fence.

It's because of those types of frivolous lawsuits that the farmers don't want you on their land. Not because of shrooms. (Unless you ate some and it made you sick and you sued the farmer of course.)

Lawsuits, Lawsuits, Lawsuits

--------------------
"Ekam Sat Vipras Bahudda Vidante"
The One Truth is named by the wise in many ways.

OfflineBluMonkee

Re: Which edible mushrooms can be found in pastures/dung? [Re: joe_millionaire]
    #2315473 - 02/08/04 07:41 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

YIKES!!!! nut sacs and barbed wire  :eek: bad combo :thumbdown:

--------------------

Invisiblejoe_millionaire
Lifelong Student

#2315533 - 02/08/04 07:52 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Ouch!

*Edited by Gumby*: Picture removed. If you'd like to see a picture of a testicle being cut out, click here. This isn't OTD man, some people can't handle the graphic images. No biggie this time, just don't do it again :smile:

Edited by GumbyDude (02/08/04 10:41 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds