Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineeb20
Stranger
Could these be spores?
    #2311958 - 02/07/04 04:16 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

* Note: I also posted a simliar message in the contamination forums. I wasn't sure if this was contam related or not.

I tried to do a search, but I didn't know how to phrase the question. Here is my friend's situation. A pint jar with polyfil filters was filled with popcorn, sterilized, and innoculated. After a week, growth is evident, but today he noticed something odd. The mycelium looked healthy, but in the bottom of the jar were a few very dark specks. They could have been black, but also could have been extremely dark purple. I am wondering if they could have been small clumps of ungerminated spores that slowly made their way through the maze of popcorn to settle on the bottom of the jar. Or could it be more serious? I can get a pic for identification if need be. Thanks all!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineTheDrugStore
Shroomer

Loc: Hawaii Flag
Re: Could these be spores? [Re: eb20]
    #2312043 - 02/07/04 04:49 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Yes get a pic. Also go into the FAQ and check out the Contamination FAQ. You might find something usefull there.

With popcorn... there isent anything black..unlike WBS (wild bird seed) or other substrates... where these black spots could be mistaken with some of the WBS.

Personally i think its contam...but who knows... just maybe they could be spores.

With a picture you will get accurate opinions.

--------------------
Penalties against drug use should not be more damaging to an individual than the use of the drug itself. Nowhere is this more clear than in the laws against the possession of marijuana and mushrooms in private for personal use.

Offlineamyloid
Stranger
    #2312063 - 02/07/04 04:56 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

doesnt sound like spores to me. but that doesnt mean its contams. post a pic.

--------------------
"A human being is part of a whole, called by us the Universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings, as something separated from the rest--a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circles of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."
-Al Einstein

OfflineCrazyJulio
journeyman
    #2312284 - 02/07/04 06:32 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Spores are very very tiny, unless of course they're all clumped up. So it'd have to be a lot of huge clumps of spores for it to be spores. Were there large chunks of spores in the syringe, or was the syringe heavily colored?

Offlineeb20
Stranger
Re: Could these be spores? [Re: CrazyJulio]
    #2312511 - 02/07/04 08:04 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

The spores were mostly in larger chunks in the syringe, and not one (of seven...gotta love THE for deals) was heavily colored.

A further description, I will have pictures up by Sunday evening...
The clumps were very small, roughly the size of bread crumbs, and were not symetrical on any axis I could see. There were about a half dozen of them, not too many. There was no odor and they did not occur anywhere but on the very bottom of the jar.

The Jar has been isolated to see if the specs grow in any way. No sense worrying until I see if they do anything. AND until I get some pics up for you all.

Offlinellamaboy
the weasel thatsnagged the bee

Loc: Portland PNW
    #2312546 - 02/07/04 08:15 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

i had something similar happen to me... i was doing a liquid tek and in the mycelium there were all these little black dots(i had scraped in quite a few spores into some of the jars). i wasn't sure if it was contam, but i assumed that it was spores that had just clumped together. sure enough, it was spores. none of my jars that were innoculated with the liquid culture contammed. so, at least i assume that. not to say that you're isn't contammed. you should really post a picture

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation