Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineOutkastSlug
Musician/Performer

Loc: B.C., Canada
Beginner Grower
    #2309237 - 02/06/04 03:54 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Hey,
    My "friend" has just started growing som eherb, and he's got a few questions.  I'll start by telling you how he got going first.

First, he started germinating 4 seeds in the closet.  One sprouted after a day, and one more the next day, and the other 2 failed.  So he tooks the ones that sprouted and planted them in some dirt pellets.  As soon as he planted them, he put a flourecent light in a desklamp directly over top of them (no more than half an inch away), and put a small fan right beside them.  After about 3 or 4 more days they were about 3/4 inch tall, so he transpanted them into bigger pots.  Now, he's wondering what to do.  Being a full time student with a part time job, making less than both his rent and bills combined, he's on a tight budget.  He will be obtaining a good number of more seeds today, to start germinating again.  He has another friend who is planning on setting up some hydro equipment, so he'll most likely just continue sprouting plants and passing them on to his other friend.

But, what sort of things can you do on a low budget to grow some good herb?  Also, shortly after the seeds sprouted out of the soil (each sprouted with 4 leaves.  2 look potish, the other 2 look roundish), 1 of them looked brown and dried up on the end.  This has since spread to the point where that one leaf is almost dead and the one on the oposite side looks like it's getting it too.  These are the round leaves on one plant.  One of the pot-like leaves on the other plant also is turning light brown just on the edges.  They've been very well watered (though not too much), so I don't think that's the cause.  He checks thouroughly for bugs and parasites every day.  Could this be a disease?  What should he do?!  Any tips or suggestions woud be greatly appreciated.  Thanks for your time.

Shea.

I do not condone the growing, ownership, or use of any illegal drugs and/or plants.    :tongue: :wink:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels Flag
Re: Beginner Grower [Re: OutkastSlug]
    #2309808 - 02/06/04 07:02 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I'd suggest you don't transplant so quickly after you see some growth - let your roots get a more firm grasp on their growing medium.  Continuous transplants can stress the plant more than help it.  As far as the brown leaves go, the "rounded" ones are the cotyledons, the primitive 1st generation leaf set to help the plant grab enough light energy to form regular leaves. They usually die off fairly early in vegetative growth. If your regular 3+ fingered leaves are dying however, you may have a few problems.  In all liklihood, either your light is too close and thus too hot for them; you have added too many nutrients to the soil and burned it; or you have underwatered. I'll leave it to you to decide, but suggest you grab a copy of the Cannabis Grower's Bible as soon as you can - it should have everything a beginner should know in it as well as a very nice problem solving chapter :cool: 

(check yo' PM's)

--------------------

--------------------
··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙··
...π╥ ╥π...

OfflineCubieman420
Sharing in thegroove
 User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Re: Beginner Grower [Re: geokills]
    #2310734 - 02/07/04 01:50 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah, alot of times the two leaves on the first node dry up after the second node is developed but it dosen't generally mean anything bad. I am starting some plants as well, so far I have transplanted once, I had the small seedlings in little styrofoam cups then transplanted them into 6' dia. pots, I obviously am going to need to transplant once more, do you suggest only one transplant throughout the whole growing period? Btw...here are 2 of my plants that seem to be doing alright...

--------------------
"...now waters run free, no more fish in the sea..."
1983-2004

OfflineOutkastSlug
Musician/Performer

Re: Beginner Grower [Re: Cubieman420]
    #2310926 - 02/07/04 03:15 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

First off, I want to thank you guys for your great info and quick response (especially you, geokills. that book has already helped alot). I'll fill in a few more details. The other leaves (not the round ones) are fine now. I guess I was just paranoid. When I transplanted, I simply cut off the small sacks they were in, and stuck them into larger pots, then filled in the space around and under them with more dirt. So I didn't actually take away any dirt from around the root system. Although, I did take a small peek at the root system and was rather amazed at how large and solid the roots were. I should also note that at this point, no nutrients have been added to the soil. Should this be done soon? Judging from what I've learned from "the bible", both plants look like sativa, and appear to be doing quite well. They have a tendancy to lean or curve towards the light, even though it's already really close. Should I use a small wodden stake (like half a chopstick) and some small string to brace each of them up? That's all I have to ask for now. I look forward to enjoying this great learning process. Thanks again for your help.

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels Flag
Re: Beginner Grower [Re: OutkastSlug]
    #2312099 - 02/07/04 03:08 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Glad I could help.. if your leaves have already recovered, I assume it was just stress from the transplant that may have made your plant look a little down.  These plants are quite resilient though, or so I've been led to believe.

> Although, I did take a small peek at the root system and
> was rather amazed at how large and solid the roots were.

Yup, roots are cool. . . . . . 

You can start adding light nutrients after your seedlings have grown for a week or three - it's really up to you.  Keep in mind there are different styles of feeding that you may be able to implement earlier than some others ( www.overgrow.com ).  Just remember to start out with a diluted solution (50% or less of the recommended dose).  If your stalks are leaning too much, then by all means tie 'em up.  Make a habit of training your plant's growth - strings are your friend, they can improve a grow immensely if used well.  Also, keep a fan on your seedlings at a strong enough velocity to keep 'em swaying back and forth or jerking every few seconds.. this will promote a nice thick stalk.

Quote:

Cubieman420 said:
do you suggest only one transplant throughout the whole growing period?

Nice plants Cubieman  :spliff:
I suggest as many transplants as you need.  If you find that your plant has stopped growing and is drinking water like a fish (everyday)... then that's probably a sign you should think about a bigger growing medium.

--------------------

--------------------
··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙··
...π╥ ╥π...

Offlinellamaboy
the weasel thatsnagged the bee

Loc: Portland PNW
Re: Beginner Grower [Re: Cubieman420]
    #2313108 - 02/07/04 10:13 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

those two round "leaves" are not leaves. they are codyledon. they are what gives the sprout it's energy before it can begin the uptake of it's own....dunnoif that was already said....think of a peanut...you know if you break it in half you can still see that little "root"...well that peanut surronding it is the cotyledon.

OfflineOutkastSlug
Musician/Performer

Re: Beginner Grower [Re: llamaboy]
    #2313303 - 02/07/04 11:46 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

thanks again you guys. My friend just obtained 50 more seeds. He was told they were tiger-stripe. So I imigine I'll be learning alot in the near future.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds