Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Loc: the brainforest
kazaa offices raided
    #2310490 - 02/07/04 02:25 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

KaZaA Offices Raided

Australian officials storm parent Sharman Networks looking for evidence of copyright infringement.
Watch Monday 2/9 at 10 a.m., 1 p.m., and 6 p.m. Eastern.
By Steve Enders
Printer-friendly format
Email this story
Video Highlight
KaZaA honcho Hemming discusses company's role in P2P revolution

In recent interview, RIAA's Hilary Rosen points finger at music 'uploaders'

Hemming discusses the future of KaZaA

Authorities have raided the Australian offices of Sharman Networks, owner of file-sharing software KaZaA, in an effort to find evidence linking the peer-to-peer network with copyright infringement.

The raid, which took place Feb. 6, was said to have been carried out by music industry lawyers, backed by the Austrialian Record Industry Association (ARIA) and Music Industry Piracy Investigations (MIPI), which is funded by major record labels.

The raid was carried out on an Australian federal court order under the country's Anton Pillar law. The law allows litigants to search and seize evidence in copyright cases.

Tonight on "Tech Live," get the very latest on this breaking story, which has rocked the music industry and the online music world. The raid comes in the wake of the recent MGM v. Grokster appeals court hearing in Southern California that could decide the future of P2P networks altogether.

However, MGM v. Grokster in the United States and the Australian raid of Sharman Networks are completely unrelated, according to recording industry officials.

Stepped-up battle over P2P

In addition to the Sydney offices of Sharman Networks, Sharman officials say the homes of two Sharman executives were also searched. MIPI officials and music industry lawyers also reportedly sought documents at Australian Internet service provider Telstra, and at the University of New South Wales.

Naturally, Sharman Networks, owners of the KaZaA file-sharing network, is upset about the raid. In a statement, the company called the move "a knee jerk reaction... to discredit Sharman Networks.

"This action appears to be an extraordinary waste of time, money, and resources going over legal ground that has been well and truly covered in the U.S. and Dutch Courts over the past 18 months," the statement reads.

"There is no doubt this is a cynical attempt by the industry to disrupt our business, regain lost momentum, and garner publicity. The assertions by plaintiffs are hackneyed and worn out. It is a gross misrepresentation of Sharman's business to suggest that the company in any way facilitates or encourages copyright infringement."

Simply stopping swapping

For its part, ARIA defended the raids, saying they were necessary to stop illegal copyright infringement on the KaZaA network.

"ARIA supports the industry's move to stop the illegal behavior of file sharing networks," ARIA CEO Stephen Peach said in a statement. "The 'free ride' simply can't continue indefinitely at the expense of the owners and creators of the music."

Peach's statement continued, saying Australians know better than to download music without permission. "This is particularly so now that there are, of course, legitimate download services operating in Australia."

Perhaps hinting at courtroom battles to come, Sharman is firm in its defense of KaZaA, and its business model for the continued distribution of music on its networks.

Sharman's statement reads: "Sharman bought the KaZaA software two years ago with the express purpose of building it into a legitimate channel for the distribution of licensed, copyright protected content which in turn financially benefits artists. This model has already proven to be successful."

'Technology here to stay'

In an exclusive interview with "Tech Live" last year, KaZaA CEO Nikki Hemming said Sharman and KaZaA made repeated efforts to win the RIAA's approval over the years, but had little success.

On the other side, then-RIAA CEO Hilary Rosen said Sharman and KaZaA had made little to no effort to comply with the RIAA's wishes, and had never approached the RIAA to discuss changes to KaZaA's music distribution system.

Hemming told "Tech Live" that consumers and artists are embracing KaZaA, and appreciated the interactivity enabled by the network.

"The music industry is going to benefit, and the movie industry is gonna benefit, and emerging artists, and independent artists, and people who just want to share their views," she continued. "They're all going to benefit. This technology is here to stay."

Posted February 6, 2004

As we know, there are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know.

-Donald Rumsfeld 2/2/02 Pentagon

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator

Re: kazaa offices raided [Re: Xochitl]
    #2310512 - 02/07/04 02:33 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

fuck that.

Cuba Libre

Loc: Hawaii Flag
Re: kazaa offices raided [Re: Xochitl]
    #2318582 - 02/09/04 06:32 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

It will never go away. I will always be able to download free music. It can't be stopped. There are many countries where there offices could be held that dont have laws against this.

Im not even worried... im really glad though that alot of money is being wasted for nothing :smile:

Penalties against drug use should not be more damaging to an individual than the use of the drug itself. Nowhere is this more clear than in the laws against the possession of marijuana and mushrooms in private for personal use.

the weasel thatsnagged the bee

Loc: Portland PNW
Re: kazaa offices raided [Re: TheDrugStore]
    #2333603 - 02/14/04 06:40 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

i heard a rumor that kazaa(sharmon LTD) is in the works to buy the now bankrubt tower records!!!! how bout that hehheehe

Creator, DrugExploree

Loc: Heart
Re: kazaa offices raided [Re: llamaboy]
    #2333812 - 02/14/04 11:20 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

The damn people are blind and stupid. It's just like trying to prohibit drugs in america, we'll get our free downloads no matter what the fuck happens. It's been years since they've been tryin to shut this type of stuff down (beginning in my memory with napster), and it's around now more than ever. Peace

See, the shrooms explore me. They riddle my mind, they teach me the eternal with direct experience. My soul is one with existance.

the weasel thatsnagged the bee

Loc: Portland PNW
Re: kazaa offices raided [Re: anarchyhollow]
    #2335378 - 02/14/04 08:39 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

services that will never be shut down are the gnutella networks...as they are freeware, and are not made by a single entity...not to mention kazaa just sucks ass. there are far better filesharing programs out there...don't know if i'm allowed to post the type of P2P's they are.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Science and Technology