Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: 5-HTP, Brown Rice Flour, Rye Grain, Spirulina

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Tryptophan content of various foods.
    #2310287 - 02/07/04 01:07 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Information is from here:

http://yarrow.best.vwh.net/Usda_data/foods_db.html

Based on 100g dry weight

popcorn: .085
Corn (meal, whole) .057
millet .119
Brown rice flour .092
oats .234
rye .154
rye flour, light .095
rye flour medium .106
rye flour, dark .159
brown rice, medium grain .096
brown rice, long grain .101
wheat germ, crude .317
dried egg whites 1.266
seaweed / spirulina, dried .929
oat bran, raw .335

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleJared
Stranger
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Tryptophan content of various foods. [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #2310418 - 02/07/04 01:53 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

think dried egg whites could benefit potency if used as a substrate additive?

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Tryptophan content of various foods. [Re: Jared]
    #2310441 - 02/07/04 02:02 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Depends on whether or not potency has much or anything to do with tryptophan content.

This data could be the basis for a good experiment.

--------------------

OfflineTeon
Chemist/Self-AppointedFAQ Facist
Male

Loc: Here
    #2310564 - 02/07/04 02:48 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Two of the best food sources of tryptophan are milk (must extract out the caesin) and turkey. I've never considered grinding up a turkey and extracting out the tryptophan before...

Hmmmmm.....

--------------------
No statements made in any post or message by myself should be construed to mean that I am now, have ever been, or will at any future time will be participating in or considering participation in any activities in violation of any legal statue; be it local, state, or federal law. All posts are works of fiction, and are intended for entertainment purposes only.

Don't just assume anything I or anyone else says is true. Test it for yourself. See if it's true.
Generate more useful information. The world is running desperately low on it.

InvisibleTHEBOSS
THE BOSS

Re: Tryptophan content of various foods. [Re: Teon]
    #2310604 - 02/07/04 03:03 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Well if milk is good i wonder if dehydrated milk would work as a substrate mix to give it a little somthing extra.........

THE BOSS

--------------------
Mushbox Forum

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Tryptophan content of various foods. [Re: Teon]
    #2310618 - 02/07/04 03:08 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Actually, egg whites is higher than both of those.

--------------------

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
Re: Tryptophan content of various foods. [Re: Jared]
    #2311314 - 02/07/04 12:26 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I've added dry egg whites to PF cakes. To me (and friends who tried the bounty), egg whites seemed to have helped with the potency, but this is highly subjective.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

#2311351 - 02/07/04 12:50 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I think what would be more informative is to determine the tryptophan to protein ratio. I will peruse that website more in depth later.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Loc: El Paso, TX Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Tryptophan content of various foods. [Re: Evolving]
    #2311399 - 02/07/04 01:23 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Whats tryptophan? Is ther any proof that shrooms use this? The website seems more human diet based.

Offlinellamaboy
the weasel thatsnagged the bee

Loc: Portland PNW
    #2312587 - 02/07/04 08:27 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

i'm curious as to how the mycelium would break down something like eggwhite...it offers almost nothing in the way of nutrition(at least to a fungi) all it is proteins and minerals. i would think that you would have to process the eggwhite somehow to make the tryptophan content more available to the fungi. i would be more intrested in doing an experiment with seaweed...i think there could be a great potential as a substrate, or at least an additive. or, if you're lazy, you can just get like 10 grams of tryptamine HCL for like 25-50$ :P

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Re: Tryptophan content of various foods. [Re: llamaboy]
    #2312635 - 02/07/04 08:49 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I used powdered dried egg white as a protein supplement, when it's dried it is essentially the same as cooking it which (I've read) changes some of the proteins to be more easily digestible (of course when you sterilize the substrate it gets cooked anyway).

--------------------

Offlinellamaboy
the weasel thatsnagged the bee

Loc: Portland PNW
    #2313055 - 02/07/04 11:52 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

do you use it as a supplement for yourself, or for fungi? i was under the impression that fungi liked to digest things high in carbohydrates...eggwhites are deffinately not. if you are using it for fungi, how does it work out?

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #2313524 - 02/08/04 03:34 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I'm thinkng wheat germ and oat bran would make the best supplements.

--------------------

OfflineBasidiocarp
Dr. BunsenHoneydew
Male User Gallery

Loc: Rogue's Island, USA
    #2314971 - 02/08/04 06:17 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

It has been shown that shrooms do convert tryptophan into active indoles. The paper is here: Acta Chemica Scandinavica, Vol. 22, No. 4, 1968, pp. 1210-1218. (Anno found this one.)

This does NOT prove, however, that increasing the amount of tryptophan in the substrate is going to increase the production of active indoles. (There may be some rate-limting step, for example, and no matter how much there is to feed on, the mycelium can only "eat" so much.)

And all this talk about which food has more tryptophan... If someone wants to experiment, why don't they run out to their local health food store and spring for a bottle of pure L-Tryptophan? It's expensive, but it certainly cuts out all these variables and questions of egg whites vs. wheat germ etc., since it is known that mycelium can take up the free amino acid with no problem.

--------------------
"...if the mind is actually part of a continuum, a labyrinth that is connected not only to every other mind that exists or has existed, but to every atom, organism, and region in the vastness of space and time itself, the fact that it is able to occasionally make forays into the labyrinth and have transpersonal experiences no longer seems so strange."

Visit the Psychonautical Society

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Re: Tryptophan content of various foods. [Re: Basidiocarp]
    #2315578 - 02/08/04 10:02 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Basidiocarp said:
If someone wants to experiment, why don't they run out to their local health food store and spring for a bottle of pure L-Tryptophan?

L-Tryptophan was removed from the market quite a few years ago because of a tainted batch. It can be purchased 'for pets' but it cannot be purchased for human consumption. I have not seen it in the health food stores I frequent in many years.

--------------------

OfflineBasidiocarp
Dr. BunsenHoneydew
Male User Gallery

#2315605 - 02/08/04 10:10 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Evolving said:
L-Tryptophan was removed from the market quite a few years ago because of a tainted batch. It can be purchased 'for pets' but it cannot be purchased for human consumption. I have not seen it in the health food stores I frequent in many years.

Well it's all over the web at nutrition and herb sites. See here for example, L-tryptophan for sale. Says USP grade and everything.

--------------------
"...if the mind is actually part of a continuum, a labyrinth that is connected not only to every other mind that exists or has existed, but to every atom, organism, and region in the vastness of space and time itself, the fact that it is able to occasionally make forays into the labyrinth and have transpersonal experiences no longer seems so strange."

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #2315850 - 02/08/04 11:11 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

You think 5HTP would work as well as L-Tryptophan for this experiment? I have 5HTP, it's like $5 a bottle too, instead of $44.

--------------------

OfflineBasidiocarp
Dr. BunsenHoneydew
Male User Gallery

#2316793 - 02/09/04 06:14 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Baby_Hitler said:
You think 5HTP would work as well as L-Tryptophan for this experiment? I have 5HTP, it's like $5 a bottle too, instead of $44.

Unlikely. 5-hydroxytryptophan has not been shown to be a participant in any of the biosyntehtic steps leading to any of the active alkaloids.

--------------------

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #2317292 - 02/09/04 12:02 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

It may be broken down into tryptophan though.

--------------------

OfflineBasidiocarp
Dr. BunsenHoneydew
Male User Gallery

#2318643 - 02/09/04 06:50 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Baby_Hitler said:
It may be broken down into tryptophan though.

The sun may supernova at any time, too. But not bloody likely anytime soon. (let's hope.)

My point was about reducing the variables in a hypothetical tryptophan ---> active indole experiment. If you already have proof that mycelium takes up tryptophan and turns it into active indoles, and you want to find out if adding tryptophan supplement to a growth medium will truly boost potency, then you add tryptophan. Not salt, pepper, wheat germ, turkey, or 5-HTP. Tryptophan. Example: You supplement with wheat germ and get a potency boost. How do you know it was the tryptophan in the wheat germ, and not one or more of the (hundreds?) of other vitamins, minerals, sugars, etc. present in wheat germ.

Once you've proven that you can get a potency boost with tryptophan, then you can start messing around with other, cheaper sources of tryptophan supplementation. (I don't think 5-HTP would work in any case, but some food source listed above might prove useful, if a potency boost can be proven first with a controlled experiment.)

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: 5-HTP, Brown Rice Flour, Rye Grain, Spirulina

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology