Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineHagbardCeline
Student-Teacher-Student-Teacher
Male User Gallery

Loc: Overjoyed, at the bottom ...
My fasting experience. 7 days without food.
    #2309538 - 02/06/04 07:46 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

My interest was first sparked by an article, in Maxim magazine no less, where the author was sent to a retreat in Thailand. He began a comedic skeptic, expecting a miserable week without food, just thankful for the week away. He ended a convert, claiming many of his ailments cured.

The theory is that your body's only chance to detoxify is when you aren't eating. During our species evolution, we had times when there was an abundance of food, and times of shortage. It was then, with our bodies unburdened by the task of digestion, that we evolved the process of healing, and detoxifying. Obviously, we still do this when we're eating, but not the extent that you will when fasting. Or so the proponents claim, but
to me, this doesn't sound too far fetched.

Additionally, after reading (and seeing, YUCK!), that your intestines are lined with mucoid placque and impacted feces, of which most people carry around 5-10 pounds of, seemed like another reason to investigate further. There were stories told by people in their 50's passing coins they had eaten by children. The literature I found went on to claim that this impacted material held in toxins like a sponge, allowing your body to constantly reabsorb them. I wanted very badly to be rid of this.

I read up, and surprisingly there are very few studies done on fasting. The conclusions I found, seemed to be split down the middle, so I found no help there. However, there are so many accounts of people claiming to be healed from a variety of ailments, from hemmroids to cancer, joint pain to psoriasis. I have a few health problems, the most serious of which is acid reflux, that I thought were within the realm of possibilty to be cured. In the end, the overwhelming amount of anecdotal evidence, convinced me it was at least worth attempting. I tried to not have many expectations, and figured it would be a testament (and test) to my will power if nothing else. I have also been trying to become more focused, goal oriented, and better at following through with my plans, and saw this as kind of a rebirth ritual.

The original plan was to begin Monday, but poor planning blew that. I began on a Tuesday, vowing to eat only fruits and vegatables for the next 4 days. This would allow me to ease into the experience without the massive shock of not eating as I have done the last 27 years.

Beginning was the most difficult part. The first day eating vegatarian seemed easy until that evening. No matter how much I ate, I felt hungry just a short time later. All of the literature I read, said that a few days into your fast your desire for food would decrease, but being that I was still eating, I began to have second thoughts. The next day I awoke with a voracious appetite. Reliving the ritual from the day before, the future seemed bleak.

So I spent Tuesday through Friday as a vegatarian for the first time in my life. It was challenging, but mainly because I had to stop myself several times from casually eating stuff I wasn't supposed to.

I'd been practicing meditation a few weeks before, at least 4-5 times a week. I know this is really just beginning, but was surprised to find that my concentration was noticably improved just 1 day into it. My mind still wandered, but I was able to stay focused for longer periods than normal.

Now, all the literature I found, said all natural juice, the kind you make yourself, is the only permissable sustinance. I bought a juicer for $40 bucks, and it worked fine. I bought all sorts of vegatables I normally don't eat, as they were reccomended, but ended up juicing mainly carrots (whose juice tastes wonderful by the way) and assorted fruit: apples, oranges, and cantelope as the main stays. It's reccomended that you use only organic vegatables and drink only distilled water at this time. You are afterall trying to get rid of the toxins.

Saturday was my first all juice day. Now, as fate would have it, I planned my fast without thought to my girlfriends birthday party. I planned on having a drink, figuring that it was my first day, and it wouldn't hurt me too badly. Of course one turned into ten. At least I stuck with Skyy vodka, which is distilled several times, so no hangover, but I still felt the setback. On Sunday, I had juice only that morning, and water the rest of the day. I developed a headache that evening, and my whole body was a little achy. The literature claimed that this was normal, that as your body purged itself of toxins, they would be released into your bloodstream causing discomfort. To me, this sounded ridiculous. I'm pretty sure it was the low blood sugar and the beginning stages of ketosis.

Upon waking Monday morning, I wasn't feeling to great. Again, the literature claims this is caused by the release of toxins, but the reccomended cure, isn't so glamorous. With one of my main movtivations being that I wanted to "clean out my system", I decided I might as well give it a shot. So an enema was prepared around noon. Surprisingly, I felt improved nearly immediately. A short while later I decided to try another meditation session. It was better than normal, but pretty close to what I had experienced the week prior when I was only consuming fruits and vegatables.

On Tuesday, I didn't feel as bad as the previous morning, but still not 100%. I repeated the ritual as before, and again felt better (at least physically, my ego didn't like it too much). A short time later, I began feeling GREAT. My head seemed clear, and unburdened. I tried analytical meditation, and it was amazing. Probably my best session yet. I decided to go to the gym and had an easy session on the elyptical traniner. All in all, I was feeling pretty upbeat.

Wednesday was much of the same, but I began to have my thoughts dominated by food. I wasn't phsysically that hungry, but food was all I could think of, I watched The Food Network all day, and dreampt of a day when I would eat again. I also noticed this day that I was breathing easier than I could ever remember. I live in Houston, where we have HORRIBLE air quality coupled with my allergies for which I take prescriptions. I had quit taking all my prescriptions and hosts of other supplements I take on Saturday. My nasal passages seemed clear. This prompted a self examination for other problems. I was amazed to find that the small patch of Atheletes foot I have on my left foot had vanished. Also, a cyst I had on my neck for the last 2 months had reduced considerably in size. I was still having heartburn, but not nearly as intensely. My skin was clearer and more firm.

I had a renewed desire to really follow through with this. I began a regimen of psyllium husks powder and bentonite clay drinks. A concoction you consume once every few hours. It has the consistency of oatmeal, and the purpose is to act like slug to push all the stuff in your intestines out. I should have using this the entire time, but was only able to find a store locally that sold it on Wednesday. It's pretty hard to get down, but it doesn't taste bad, kinda neutral, without much taste at all. I'll spare you the details.

Thursday and Friday were pretty much the same, though I had some juice Thursday evening. Friday evening I ate a bit of cantelope, and on Saturday, fruits and vegatables again. Sunday was the day I planned to return to a normal diet, but it was the Superbowl, and I went a little overboard (see my upcoming posts in the Culinary forum). Easing yourself back into regular foods is neccesary. I didn't realize how great I really felt until this week, after regressing to my previous diet. I didn't plan this, but some unexpected expenses, didn't allow me to eat the way I want to. Not that I ate all that unhealthy to begin with, but I need to incorporate more fruits and vegatables, and less sweets.

This was really only a primer, as I now plan on doing a 30 day juice fast in April I'm thinking. Most of the people claiming healing, didn't do anything less than 30 days on juice. It just isn't reccomended to jump right into a fast that long without aclimating yourself to the challenges you'll face.

Not being sure how I would be phsysically affected, I took vacation, and now believe that was a mistake. It just allowed me too much time to think about eating. Going about your normal everyday activities and keeping your mind of eating seems the better course of action.

Please don't think me a nutball, as I haven't totally made up my mind about this, but I admit, I was pleasantly surprised.
I highly reccomend it to anyone that has an interest.

--------------------
I keep it real because I think it is important that a highly esteemed individual such as myself keep it real lest they experience the dreaded spontaneous non-existance of no longer keeping it real. - Hagbard Celine

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Anonymous

Re: My fasting experience. 7 days without food. [Re: HagbardCeline]
    #2309595 - 02/06/04 07:58 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

OfflineMrGrib
Stranger

#2309693 - 02/06/04 08:27 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I used to fast 1 day per week every week. I actually miss it--I always felt very cleansed and refreshed afterwards, especially if I was having joint pain in my knees. I should get back into it. Other than that, I'm vegetarian (4 years in May; was vegan for about a year) and buy mostly organic foods.

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #2310964 - 02/07/04 05:51 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I've fasted once before. Me and a friend decided to go for a few days or something... only liquids and he wanted to add the stipulation of bread, but I was really looking forward to trying it and said fuck the bread...

He ended up eating all sorts of shit here and there, and I had nothing but chocalate milk. I drank a couple of gallons in two days. But at any rate, I started to feel really good. When I finally did eat, I felt sick... ugh...

I'm going to try fasting again soon, maybe do the fast one day per week that Mr Grib has suggested, maybe eventually bumping it up to two days a week.... I already drink a lot of water all the time in order to help clean me out, but stopping the food consumption would do wonders.

Thanks for posting this! I hadn't even thought of fasting for so long. You've sparked that interest in it again.:grin:
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Offlinecastaway
Isanybodyreallyhome?
Male User Gallery
    #2310986 - 02/07/04 06:10 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Fasting alternative:

Conscious awareness of what we need in the way of vit+mins and amino acids, and then using the homeopathic aproach to reduce intake.

Meals can be a daily ritual that promotes the sense of wellbeing, self-esteem and value to the community.

(Anybody notice the mixture of over-cooked lentils and rice scraped off the bottom of the pan has the texture of hamburger when added to vegy stew?)

I think it could actualy fool people in blind taste tests

Edited by castaway (02/07/04 06:13 AM)

Offlinecastaway
Isanybodyreallyhome?
Male User Gallery
Re: My fasting experience. 7 days without food. [Re: castaway]
    #2310988 - 02/07/04 06:15 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Chilli con (fake)Carne

OfflineMrGrib
Stranger

Re: My fasting experience. 7 days without food. [Re: castaway]
    #2312944 - 02/07/04 11:01 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

that's not what fasting's about. Fasting is to allow the digestive process a break, and to purge the body of toxin build-up in tissues.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology