Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Anonymous

Re: Materialism and Overconsumption [Re: trendal]
    #2310003 - 02/06/04 08:13 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
Re: Materialism and Overconsumption [Re: ]
    #2310013 - 02/06/04 08:18 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

It is my understanding that that list is questionable. Often, species are included merely by geographic location without any discernable characteristics that set them apart from the same species living (and thriving) in other locations. It is after all, a list heavily influenced by politics.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
Re: Materialism and Overconsumption [Re: silversoul7]
    #2310077 - 02/06/04 08:43 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

"Have you ever noticed that even as the economy goes up, people's happiness seems to go down?"

US economy to me is fake so I don't put any emotion on it. advertisements tell us how we will feel better about ourselves. they show us things that we "need" or "must have." when the economy goes up, that means people are buying things.

I'll take my friend as a good example. he bought tons of x-box games, and then turned to me and told me he was bored?? I was like wtf?? you have all these games to entertain you, but he wouldn't listen. he just went on complaining. in this respect I see your point very clearly!

we have too much clutter! I helped my father go to the dump, and he was just complaining the whole time about how there's all this hit. and I was like, well I didnt buy it. he got mad at me and well couldn't sya anything after that one lol

we have lost focus on what's really important. there's a void within lots of poeple, what is causing this void? i say being a consumer is part of it. we must find peace within ourselves before we find peace with the earth.

shouldn't we be living with earth, not just on it?

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]