Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Terrence McKenna

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Materialism and Overconsumption
    #2309386 - 02/06/04 07:03 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Have you ever noticed that even as the economy goes up, people's happiness seems to go down? Is it any wonder? Advertisements, which have skyrocketed over the years, target consumers by making them feel insecure, then making empty promises about how their product will fill this void in their life. So the consumer goes out, buys these meaningless products, racking up their credit card debt, creating more trash to fill up landfills, and somehow their lives feel even emptier than before. And so, of course, they see advertisements for more useless junk that promises to make their life better, and the viscious cycle continues.

Meanwhile, this massive consumption is tearing apart families. The most common cause of divorce is disagreement over money, often dealing with credit card debt. And many advertisers, who increasingly are targeting kids, don't care if they end up pitting the kid against the parent, as long the product gets sold.

And do I even have to mention the environmental destruction that this overconsumption is causing? Our living far beyond our means is destroying the earth. This planet cannot sustain this degree of consumption for long. Eventually, something has to give.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Anonymous

Re: Materialism and Overconsumption [Re: silversoul7]
    #2309410 - 02/06/04 07:08 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

InvisibleLallafa
p_g monocle
 User Gallery

Loc: underbelly Flag
Re: Materialism and Overconsumption *DELETED* [Re: silversoul7]
    #2309470 - 02/06/04 07:26 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Post deleted by Lallafa

Reason for deletion: .

--------------------
my tax dollars going to more hits of acid for charles manson

Offlinebarfightlard
tales of theinexpressible
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canoodia
    #2309532 - 02/06/04 07:44 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Eventually something will give and the human race and many other species will be killed off and the world will pretty much start out new.

--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Re: Materialism and Overconsumption [Re: barfightlard]
    #2309540 - 02/06/04 07:46 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Hopefully it won't have to come to that. If we could just learn to cut back our consumption enough, the planet could probably sustain our impact for much longer.

--------------------

Anonymous

Re: Materialism and Overconsumption [Re: Lallafa]
    #2309545 - 02/06/04 07:48 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Offlinebarfightlard
tales of theinexpressible
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canoodia
    #2309580 - 02/06/04 07:55 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Too bad that probably wont happen. We are too lazy and ignorant. We abuse our leisure and it's going to come back and bite us in the ass. People really just don't care, bah why worry about the world when I can sit back and my nice reality TV show......

--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

InvisibleTrueBrode
Stranger

#2309627 - 02/06/04 08:08 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Have you ever noticed that even as the economy goes up, people's happiness seems to go down?

No. People are a little more selfish or spolied maybe though.

Advertisements, which have skyrocketed over the years, target consumers by making them feel insecure, then making empty promises about how their product will fill this void in their life.

People have to make money, and they're trying to sell their product. If you're dumb enough to buy something that you don't need and expect to fill the void, then that's your problem.

creating more trash to fill up landfills

There is absolutely no garbage overload at all.

and somehow their lives feel even emptier than before

Really? I don't see that.

massive consumption is tearing apart families

A baseless opinion. I work at a country club and all the families there seem very happy reveling in their excesses.

The most common cause of divorce is disagreement over money, often dealing with credit card debt. And many advertisers, who increasingly are targeting kids, don't care if they end up pitting the kid against the parent, as long the product gets sold.

So what do you propose? Credit education?

And do I even have to mention the environmental destruction that this overconsumption is causing

So what, as George Carlin said, you only care about the environment for your own selfish reasons too.

Our living far beyond our means is destroying the earth

not really. we're (including corporations, government etc.) are slowly coming to realize our mistakes and curtail the detrimental behavior, despite what the radical environmentalists spew.

This planet cannot sustain this degree of consumption for long. Eventually, something has to give.

Oh c'mon. We're damned no matter what- we're a manic depressive species. we're fixated on our own destruction.

InvisibletrendalM
point of inflection
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada
    #2309667 - 02/06/04 08:20 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

You know the Holocene Extinction Event, which is an ongoing event at this point and which started around the time humans began forming hunter-gatherer tribes, is expected to kill off about 90% of all species within the next one hundred years?

Incidentally, this is the first mass-extinction event which has a direct cause outside of geophysical processes - and the cause is humans.

We'll learn our lesson, one way or another.

The question is...how many species will we lose before learning our lesson?

--------------------
Like my post? Hit me up!
BTC - 1KqrSHZ1C3NsQP4g3PkHhppBnhdgyXr6sB

Offlinelostsuitcase
...missing

Loc: mid-air?
Re: Materialism and Overconsumption [Re: TrueBrode]
    #2309694 - 02/06/04 08:27 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

(Have you ever noticed that even as the economy goes up, people's happiness seems to go down?)

***yes, exhibit A = Japan. Japan is way more relaxed now their economy has gone down from the insanely rich crest it hit in the 80s. There seems to be a happy medium as far as economies go.

(Advertisements, which have skyrocketed over the years, target consumers by making them feel insecure, then making empty promises about how their product will fill this void in their life. )

***yes, advertisments do have some sort of psychological effect...I wouldnt go as far as to say that they make people depressed and insecure. But from an economic perspective, money (overspending anyways) spent on advertising is very dysfunctional because it doesnt create anything that can produce more wealth over time.

(The most common cause of divorce is disagreement over money, often dealing with credit card debt. And many advertisers, who increasingly are targeting kids, don't care if they end up pitting the kid against the parent, as long the product gets sold. )

***I dont know about this, I highly doubt money is the biggest cause of divorce, I would say infedility and incompatibilty come way before money. As far as the credit card goes, people need to be more responsible, you cant expect a credit corporation to care if you dont understand how money works

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
Re: Materialism and Overconsumption [Re: trendal]
    #2309709 - 02/06/04 08:32 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Seems to me that that would almost tie in with 2012, wouldn't it? 

j/k  :lol:

Just no one has brought up 2012 in a while.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

Anonymous

#2309720 - 02/06/04 08:35 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

OfflineNiamhNyx
I'm NOT a 'he'
Female User Gallery

Re: Materialism and Overconsumption [Re: Lallafa]
    #2309722 - 02/06/04 08:35 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

As nice an idea as it is, not littering and consuming "green" isn't making a hell of a difference. It's just a cuddlier version of the same old thing and its not going to change the way our society functions. That being said, when I consume I make the same concious decisions, I just refuse to delude myself into believing its going to make a difference. THats why we've got to work beyond lifestyle changes.

~Jenn

Quote:

Lallafa said:
i dont litter, and i dont think you should either.

littering is very inconsiderate. i try to recycle too.

also, because we must buy things, we can choose to buy things that support good causes, such as ben and jerrys. Ben & Jerry's Foundation addresses issues such as agriculture
biodiversity
climate and atmosphere
development
endangered lands
environmental justice
energy
global warming
health
oceans and coasts
population
sustainability
toxic substances
waste and recycling
water
forests

in the US

uncanny cashew ice cream is fucking delicious.

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

#2309778 - 02/06/04 08:54 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

TrueBrode said:
Have you ever noticed that even as the economy goes up, people's happiness seems to go down?

No. People are a little more selfish or spolied maybe though.

In surveys, the percentage of people claiming to be "very happy" was at its peak in 1957, and has gone down as the Dow-Jones goes up.

Quote:

Advertisements, which have skyrocketed over the years, target consumers by making them feel insecure, then making empty promises about how their product will fill this void in their life.

People have to make money, and they're trying to sell their product. If you're dumb enough to buy something that you don't need and expect to fill the void, then that's your problem.

It's not as simple as that. Most of us aren't even aware of how deeply advertising affects us.

Quote:

and somehow their lives feel even emptier than before

Really? I don't see that.

You're not looking hard enough.

Quote:

massive consumption is tearing apart families

A baseless opinion. I work at a country club and all the families there seem very happy reveling in their excesses.

Anecdotal evidence. Nice. Besides, I'm talking about overconsumption, not making too much money. There's a difference.

Quote:

The most common cause of divorce is disagreement over money, often dealing with credit card debt. And many advertisers, who increasingly are targeting kids, don't care if they end up pitting the kid against the parent, as long the product gets sold.

So what do you propose? Credit education?

It would be a good start.

Quote:

And do I even have to mention the environmental destruction that this overconsumption is causing

So what, as George Carlin said, you only care about the environment for your own selfish reasons too.

Ya, and...? We all share this planet. It's our only home. The fact that it affects us so much should be even more incentive to save it.

Quote:

Our living far beyond our means is destroying the earth

not really. we're (including corporations, government etc.) are slowly coming to realize our mistakes and curtail the detrimental behavior, despite what the radical environmentalists spew.

(italics added for emphasis)

Quote:

This planet cannot sustain this degree of consumption for long. Eventually, something has to give.

Oh c'mon. We're damned no matter what- we're a manic depressive species. we're fixated on our own destruction.

It doesn't necessarily have to be that way.

--------------------

Anonymous

#2309799 - 02/06/04 09:00 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Anonymous

#2309810 - 02/06/04 09:03 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #2309823 - 02/06/04 09:08 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

In this book Affluenza the guy puts it very well when he says "We are spending more energy maintaining 'STUFF' nowadays than ourselves and eachother."

When will it stop? Hopefully before it HAS TO.

I agree with Terence Mckenna's idea that not much is going to change until our MINDS change - the only way we're going to change our MINDS is to further "dissolve boundaries" and look outside our own lifestyles

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

InvisibleTrueBrode
Stranger

#2309914 - 02/06/04 09:38 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

In surveys, the percentage of people claiming to be "very happy" was at its peak in 1957, and has gone down as the Dow-Jones goes up.

too weak of a correlation.

It's not as simple as that. Most of us aren't even aware of how deeply advertising affects us.

That's a little dramatic. Most people I know mute commercials and show plenty of restraint in their purchases.

I look very hard. Maybe you would call it ignorant bliss, but they seem quite happy to me, and always have.

Anecdotal evidence. Nice. Besides, I'm talking about overconsumption, not making too much money. There's a difference.

You said "mass consumption is tearing families apart." I see families part of the mass consumption problem living perfectly happy and balanced.

Ya, and...? We all share this planet. It's our only home. The fact that it affects us so much should be even more incentive to save it.

Save what? The planet will take care of us no matter what when it's ready. Bolide impacts probably killed the dinosaurs, the pliestocene epic ended in an ice age. Another ice age may be on the way. An earthquake in Iran just killed 20,000. The Earth doesn't care about us, and it doesn't matter what we do- we're fucked sooner or later.

It doesn't necessarily have to be that way.

But it does eventually- rhythm/change- as the hermetic would say.

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

#2309930 - 02/06/04 09:45 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

TrueBrode said:

too weak of a correlation.

Maybe, maybe not. There's also the example of Japan which someone else mentioned.

Quote:

That's a little dramatic. Most people I know mute commercials and show plenty of restraint in their purchases.

They can't mute Billboards, magazine ads, etc. We're constantly bombarded with advertising, and even if we don't buy a particular product, we are still affected by them.

Quote:

I look very hard. Maybe you would call it ignorant bliss, but they seem quite happy to me, and always have.

Maybe the ones on Prozac. Please note that a person need not be rich in order to be a materialistic consumer, nor vice versa.

Quote:

You said "mass consumption is tearing families apart." I see families part of the mass consumption problem living perfectly happy and balanced.

Perhaps the term "mass consumption" was misleading. Substitute the word "materialism" and see if it fits. Mass consumption is the product of materialism.

Quote:

Save what? The planet will take care of us no matter what when it's ready. Bolide impacts probably killed the dinosaurs, the pliestocene epic ended in an ice age. Another ice age may be on the way. An earthquake in Iran just killed 20,000. The Earth doesn't care about us, and it doesn't matter what we do- we're fucked sooner or later.

Wouldn't it be better if it was later?

--------------------

InvisibletrendalM
point of inflection
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: Materialism and Overconsumption [Re: ]
    #2309977 - 02/06/04 10:03 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Yes, the Holocene Extinction is very sad. :frown:

What I find even more sad is that so few people even know it is occuring as we speak.

Last I heard, we are losing at least one species from the planet each day.

--------------------
Like my post? Hit me up!
BTC - 1KqrSHZ1C3NsQP4g3PkHhppBnhdgyXr6sB

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: Terrence McKenna

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology