Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineopiuatesfeelngood
wanderer
cakes stalling
    #2308708 - 02/06/04 01:16 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

someone other than myself birthed 8 cakes (brf, equador) and they are set in a 2:1:1 foot plastic container which is kept humid by a hydrosonic humifier, they sat for about a week and I noticed that a very few small pins were forming on the bottom where the vermiculite was still attacked to the cake, rather that forming near the top or mmiddle of the cake, no pins have formed on the white part of the cake thus far, and i noticed that alot of the pins were aborting from the bottom, the pin were also aborting, at this time i got the idea that perhaps they were a little dry, so i injected about 10cc of sterile water into one of them, several days later the one i have about a week later and now some of them are growing pins from the bottom, and they are growing larger, however the ones that have pins only have about five or so, and some have none! still stalling, but the one that i have injected have about 15 pins from the bottom and they are developing very well , look healthy, since the pins are froming from the bottom, i tried flipping two of the cakes, i will fill in on the results of the grow and if i can get a digi i will post some pics,. from my observations I can only assume the the stalling phenomena has been caused by a lack of moisture within the cake, so the Q is: what should I do, I mean "THEY" do? to best hydrate the cakes without causing contams?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinebluhoney
Yes Im a realgirl ,geeesh
Female User Gallery

Re: cakes stalling [Re: opiuatesfeelngood]
    #2308876 - 02/06/04 02:07 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

If they all havent started pinning yet, dunk the ones that are not pinning overnight in a 2:1 mixture of H2O and H2O2and put them back in the growing chamber. I remember along time ago some people were taking drinking straws and cutting them in half, then pressing them into the center of the cake, then using a syringe, filling up the straws with a sugar water mixture. When you birthed the cake, did you leave the cakes in the same position they were in the jars. In other words the when you slide the cakes out they land upside down, you have to turn them back over so they are right side up again. If you did this, your grow chamber may not be humid enough, or too mumid. Do you see water droplets on the cakes = too much moisture. Do you see water droplets and moisture on the walls of the growing chamber and not the cakes= good moisture levels :smile:bluhoney

--------------------
Information listed here is for entertainment only and is neither real or proven

Offlineopiuatesfeelngood
wanderer
Re: cakes stalling [Re: bluhoney]
    #2309754 - 02/06/04 06:47 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

hmm thank you, i birthed them the way anyone would, i.e. not upside down, but when the only pin emearging were doing so from the very bottom of the cake i figured what the hell and flipped two of them upside down, i thought if the vermiculite on the bottom was somehow inducing pins, why not see what happend when i flip the cake so that the myc will grow throught the verm and pin on top of it, i wish i had my digital camra, until i get that im cannot give a better understanding.

Offlinevermonster
Lost Sailor

Loc: Shangri La
    #2310054 - 02/06/04 08:37 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

bluhoney said:
When you birthed the cake, did you leave the cakes in the same position they were in the jars. In other words the when you slide the cakes out they land upside down, you have to turn them back over so they are right side up again.

Whats the reason for flipping the cakes back over?

--------------------

Offlinebluhoney
Yes Im a realgirl ,geeesh
Female User Gallery

Re: cakes stalling [Re: vermonster]
    #2310516 - 02/07/04 12:34 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

By flipping the cakes back to the same position they were in the jar, they donot have to reorient them selves with which side is  "up". Sometimes if you take a very mature cake and fruit it out the jar, but donot turn it to the same position it was in the jar, it will grow from the bottom and the "new"top will remain bare for the first flush or so. I just thought this may have been one of his problems with the cake, but apparently not. My friend has read however that with a pan full of substrate and being half cased and the other half bare, the cased side fruited and the bare side didnt. So since he had the verm in contact with the cake, it may have been the deciding factor that caused the cake to fruit that way. :smile:bluhoney

--------------------
Information listed here is for entertainment only and is neither real or proven

OfflineDSD
devil

Loc: Bad,Bad person - minus ...
    #2310675 - 02/07/04 01:29 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

verm holds the moisture which is the key. and definitely birth them the way that they were colonized in the jars, top, bottom etc...

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom