Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineThe_Day_Dreamer
Stranger
Quick Question(s)
    #2308280 - 02/06/04 10:51 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Ok i just inoculated two jars (pf for simple minds). The jars where covered in 1 folded and 1 tip sheet of tin foil and when trying to remove the top layer the hole lot came off.

When i tried to put the folded sheet back on i touched the inside of the foil lid. i had washed my hands with detol hand wash but i needed to touch the lighter to sterilise the flame.

Do you think the jar will now grow contams?

Ok, Heres my second question: Can i use my large incubater (two 45ltr rubbermades and a 100w fishtank heater in the bottom) as a fruiting chamer with some wet perlit in the bottom or should I use the poor mans 2 ltr coke bottle terranuim?

Im only trying to fruit two cakes at one time because i do not whant to screw all of my cakes up in one go. :laugh:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleChe_Night_Soil
Koinoniphobic

Loc: Commonslaughtia
Re: Quick Question(s) [Re: The_Day_Dreamer]
    #2308317 - 02/06/04 11:09 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

You shouldn't worry too much about lighter-touch-introduced contamination after sterilizing your hands :smirk:...it sounds like deliberate cleanliness will be a boon to your endeavors, though.
Does your Rubbermaid have an opaque lid? If so, you will need to get some Plexiglass. Bins like yours do well as fruiting chambers.

--------------------
if(human==autoPart){
for(i=1;i<infinity;i++){
getBorn(mind,soul);
getEdu(mind,soul);
getJob(mind,soul);
retire(mind,soul);
die(mind,soul);
}
}

OfflineThe_Day_Dreamer
Stranger
Re: Quick Question(s) [Re: Che_Night_Soil]
    #2308387 - 02/06/04 11:41 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I donno im really not two good with DIY. Would a battery operated pushlights do the trick. If i do use this i take it i would need a drip shield or be forced into using the poor mans fruiting chaimber.

InvisibleChe_Night_Soil
Koinoniphobic

Loc: Commonslaughtia
    #2308398 - 02/06/04 11:47 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

If exposing your cakes to natural light is possible, installing a window is as easy as cutting a hole in the center of the lid, measuring the hole, getting a piece of Plexiglass that fits the dimensions and adhering said Plexiglass to the lid. If not, the kind of light you mentioned would probably work.

--------------------
if(human==autoPart){
for(i=1;i<infinity;i++){
getBorn(mind,soul);
getEdu(mind,soul);
getJob(mind,soul);
retire(mind,soul);
die(mind,soul);
}
}

OfflineThe_Day_Dreamer
Stranger
    #2308406 - 02/06/04 11:49 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

OK ive still got a good week to think on soloutions, Thanks for the feedback.

Invisiblehevvy_psi
groover

#2308407 - 02/06/04 11:49 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

hey man, if you don't wanna fuck with plexiglass...

we had some big, deep, rubbermaids with opaque lids. take the lid, and cut out most of the center, leaving about 2 inches all the way around so you have a window in the lid, but it still fits on your fruiting chamber. then duct tape some clear plastic wrap to the bottom and you have a lovely cheap skylight :smile:

--------------------
egocentrism is bangin on the door
self-destructive selflessness
seeps out from the core
alone - eyes closed - an empty room
i'm curled on the floor
choose nothing, thus deciding
all the nothing i've in store.

OfflineThe_Day_Dreamer
Stranger
Re: Quick Question(s) [Re: hevvy_psi]
    #2308463 - 02/06/04 12:02 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Does this work as good as the plexi idea, im guessing it would save me the awkwardness of going into a diy shop.

Edited by The_Day_Dreamer (02/06/04 12:05 PM)

OfflineThe_Day_Dreamer
Stranger
    #2320726 - 02/10/04 08:15 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

three days later and some mycelium is starting to form in two places on the substrate of the first jar. I think that was the one where I accidentally injected .5 cc of spores in one of the four holes.

I have a slight problem with temps. My digital thermometer has been showing temps from 56f up to 68f. I think this is because its freezing cold out side. Any ways of upping the temperatures of the incubator to improve colonization speeds. At the moment if stuck it in an old sleeping bag (one of the ones that dont reflect heat back).

Invisiblemuse_sick
ĤŌĿŶĞЋ0$Ŧ

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Giu La Testa
    #2320756 - 02/10/04 08:36 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

hmmm 56-68 is way to cold for myc to grow...is your fish tank heater working? what setting is it on? it might have gotten changed when you moved it...
also is this thermometer in the incubator?

--------------------
:beakedwhale:

OfflineThe_Day_Dreamer
Stranger
Re: Quick Question(s) [Re: muse_sick]
    #2320775 - 02/10/04 08:47 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

The thermometer is in the incubator and the fish tank heat is in one a plastic guard. The cakes are sitting directly on the bottom of the incubator so im guessing they are getting more heat then the thermometer is telling me. Could it be that i have two much water or that the thermometer is just crap (i did get it for ?12)?

I set up a circuit breaker just in case the thing sparks up, im pretty paranoid like that.

OfflineThe_Day_Dreamer
Stranger
    #2326726 - 02/12/04 12:22 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

OK you know that i installed a circuit braker. Well I left my incubater alone for the last two day and have just found out that it has switched its self off!

Will this period of none heat dammaged the cakes or can they be salvaged or should it me ok?

Also i have put a proper thermal sleeping bag over my terranuim which seemed to have helped with the temps.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags