Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleChakanooga
Always Lmao
Male User Gallery

Loc: Wonderland
Re: Final Fantasy 6 [Re: EllisDSox]
    #23100616 - 04/09/16 02:16 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

I miss them games so much, I played roms for ff 7 8 and 9 but it was a bitch to put together, and they go for like 50 - 70 $ in old retro stores. ( havent checked online yet. )

I should probably look into getting the old star ocean games, its been awhile so I pretty much forgot the concept of the game.

--------------------
Official:
Facemelter
HyperspaceTraveller
NostalgicGamer

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleEllisDSox
King Hella!

Re: Final Fantasy 6 [Re: Chakanooga]
    #23101347 - 04/09/16 07:26 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

If you own a SNES, you can get a reproduction of Star Ocean pretty cheaply and if not there's an English translation you can download pretty easily and play on an emulator. Unfortunately, they decided to dub certain parts of the actual voices and it's fucking terrible, but it only happens for about 0.5% of the game.

FF7 goes for that much? What the fuck? That game sold millions of copies and PAL versions go for about £3. I thought it was mostly just SNES stuff that had insanely stupid prices because so many speedrunners and retrogamers and shit just love that console.

--------------------
Disclaimer: If you have any kind of heart condition, my posts are not for you. You could literally die from reading the first couple of words in any one of them. Scroll down the page, live your life and prosper, but don't read my posts because your heart will probably explode. I am not joking.

OfflineMagenta
I care!!
Male User Gallery

Loc: The land of plenty Flag
    #23119813 - 04/15/16 07:28 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

In the version of Tales of Phantasia that i played, the character Arche made some strangely sexual references that always made me wonder if they were the true translated meanings.

I played Final Fantasy VI when i was seventeen and i have very fond memories of it. I hate to beat a dead horse but i see flame battles between people talking about which is better between FFVI and Chrono Trigger every now on and then on other sites. I only played Chrono Trigger last year for the first time, and although i enjoyed it, i thought it was insanely over rated. Would choose Final Fantasy VI over it any day.

--------------------

InvisibleByrain

Re: Final Fantasy 6 [Re: Magenta]
    #23121723 - 04/15/16 06:34 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Which system / Fan translation group? The GBA Tales of Phantasia is easily the worst (Only one officially localized for western audiences), the PS1 version is likely the best, but the snes is still fine. Both of those have been fan translated several times over.

I would argue that FF6 and Chrono Trigger are both highly overrated... That said I been replaying the fan translated ff6 snes version and remembered another major gripe. The playable characters are not at all balanced. Edgar and his tools is a great example, its possible to abuse the hell out of those with no trade off while a character like Gau is extremely unreliable and annoying to train.

InvisibleEllisDSox
King Hella!

Re: Final Fantasy 6 [Re: Byrain]
    #23121818 - 04/15/16 07:03 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

All games that have nostalgia attached to them are overrated, but it's definitely annoying seeing people argue about which ones are "the best".

I haven't even got close to completing the game for the first time and I already gave up on Gau. Learning all his stuff is apparently great, but I'm just not willing to do it and some of it apparently hinges on enemies you meet about one in a thousand times in random encounters. Fuck that.

--------------------
Disclaimer: If you have any kind of heart condition, my posts are not for you. You could literally die from reading the first couple of words in any one of them. Scroll down the page, live your life and prosper, but don't read my posts because your heart will probably explode. I am not joking.

Offlineakira_akuma
Φύσις κρύπτεσθαι ὕψιστος φιλεῖ

Loc: Onypeirophóros
    #23121964 - 04/15/16 07:34 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

the games are fuckin' old Byrain. of course there is balance issues. games are liable (and are supposed to) get exponentially better, as things get constantly tweaked. so new RPGs should be all means be better than old ones...they are just considered "classics" mostly because of the nostalgia, but also because they were the best of their time; with the exception of the "unsung classics" which can hang around until being taken more seriously later down the road.

Offlineakira_akuma

Re: Final Fantasy 6 [Re: akira_akuma]
    #23121978 - 04/15/16 07:37 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

by the way, the best RPG ever -- if there is to be mention of "the best" -- is Endless, Nameless by Adam Cadre.

http://adamcadre.ac/if.html

InvisibleByrain

#23122019 - 04/15/16 07:52 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

akira_akuma said:
the games are fuckin' old Byrain. of course there is balance issues. games are liable (and are supposed to) get exponentially better, as things get constantly tweaked. so new RPGs should be all means be better than old ones...they are just considered "classics" mostly because of the nostalgia, but also because they were the best of their time; with the exception of the "unsung classics" which can hang around until being taken more seriously later down the road.

That entire argument is bullshit. Final Fantasy 4 & 5 do not have these balance issues nor did 7. Not to mention most jrpgs from that era did not either, ff6 just suffers from an overambitious poorly thought out battle system. They were considered classics because most of the better games like Star Ocean, Tales of Phantasia, Rudra no Hihuo did not get officially localized to western audiences until years later if at all. When they did get localized, they were of versions significantly worse than the originals (The gba Tales of Phantasia and psp Star Ocean both suck relatively). Additionally the Tales series has always had poor localizations until very recently with Zestiria and Symphonia (ps3) and they skipped several of the supposedly better games which have yet to have finished fan translations.

OfflineKonyap

Loc: Planet Piss
    #23122152 - 04/15/16 08:42 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

my final fantasy is to have sex with a dad

OfflineMagenta
I care!!
Male User Gallery

Loc: The land of plenty Flag
    #23122973 - 04/16/16 02:17 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

The TOP version i was playing was for the snes I don't know who the translator was. I played it in an emulator. I've never played any other versions.

I'll agree with the overpowered characters in FFVI. Edgar's crossbow whips out all enemies with one hit when you first get him, and it continues to be that powerful for a good while.
I never used Gau if i could help it. He sucked. I think most RPGs have sucky characters though, Cait Sith from FFVII comes to mind, for example; and to a lesser degree Eiko Carol, from FFIX.

--------------------

InvisibleEllisDSox
King Hella!

#23123022 - 04/16/16 02:51 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Is Treasure of Rudras really that good? I have a cartridge of it cause I got some weird deal on reproductions that ended up with me buying about four I didn't really give a shit about. Most people seem to cry about it just being insanely non-linear and not making sense.

I don't really care about character balance issues in FF6, to be honest. I base the party entirely on the characters I think are "cool" based on arbitrary nonsense, so Shadow, Mog, Locke and Terra win regardless of any of their actual stats. I did notice the thing about the Tools, though. You can fucking destroy people with Edgar even if his levels aren't good.

I actually quite like it that in SoM you don't have to worry about party shit cause you only ever have three people. Isn't that the same with the original Star Ocean?

Also, did you ever play Chaos Seed? It's such a strange fucking game I couldn't even begin to work it out.

--------------------

OfflineKonyap

#23123438 - 04/16/16 08:02 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

i gave edgar like 8 hits with the genji gloves and the theifs ring or something
then i teach every single person ultima lol

InvisibleByrain

Re: Final Fantasy 6 [Re: Magenta]
    #23123564 - 04/16/16 09:00 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Good point, I try to forget about Cait Sith and I never never got that far with FF9. I remember running into a dragon on the field map that wiped me out with one hit, never played it again.

Ellis: I only played through Rudra no Hihou once and it was memorable enough to still mention it now several years later. Its not so much non-linear as it has several different starting points with different characters, you have to play through them all to get to the end where they connect. One thing I recall as stand out was the magic system, in Japan it all about combining different kanji and you get different spells, for the fan translation they turned them all into words. It works out a lot better than my poor description of it sounds. At the very least there isn't much else out there that compares.

The first two Star Oceans along with the Tales series never had any of those character issues, you don't really have any weak characters and its a lot more hands on with the real time battle system while never having any of the actual hard technical requirements of real fighting games. Especially the later Tales games are notable with the battle system having characters that all have their own strengths, weaknesses and play styles. Unfortunate the Tales games with the best battle systems aren't nearly the best in other regards.

I have a rom of Chaos Seed, but I haven't given it a fair chance yet. I do recall it not being immediately accessible.

Edit: For comparrison, here are a few videos showing how the battle system in the Tales series progressed.

Tales of Phantasia (SNES)
Rudimentary, slow and tedious in comparison to even Tales of Destiny, some of the later spell animations can be rather tedious too given the frequency they get used.

Tales of Eternia (PS1)
Titled Tales of Destiny II for the localization even though it has nothing directly to do with Tales of Destiny or the real Tales of Destiny II which is still Japan only. The best way to play this for westerners is the psp undub which needs ppsspp, a modified psp or ps vita.

Tales of Symphonia (Gamecube)
The gamecube localized sucks and didn't dub a lot of the content that was voiced in Japan, there is a undub out there that might work with Dolphin. Or the ps3 version included the original Japanese voices.

Tales of Vesperia (Xbox)
The Japanese only PS3 version should be significantly better and its also one of the few ps3 games that has already gotten a fan translation. However I do not want to invest in a modified ps3 nor is rpcs3 developed enough to play it.

Tales of Zestiria (PS3)
Flashy, fast, plenty of combo options, too bad the plot suffers.

Edited by Byrain (04/16/16 10:05 AM)

InvisibleChakanooga
Always Lmao
Male User Gallery

#23123803 - 04/16/16 10:23 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Idk, I played some pretty badass rpgs online that was decent and better then a lot of console rpgs IMO.

--------------------
Official:
Facemelter
HyperspaceTraveller
NostalgicGamer

InvisibleEllisDSox
King Hella!

#23125360 - 04/16/16 08:11 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Even the first one looks more interesting than just normal turn based shit.

--------------------

OfflineKonyap

#23125425 - 04/16/16 08:35 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

all those games wouldn't be anything without Naussicca vally of the wind, that movie really set the stage for all rpg's in that era, even zelda.

If i had to remake the snes FF games they'd probably be only 20 hours
even a shitty game like undertale is more thrilling when you give someone something to do besides press the A button

Offlineakira_akuma

#23125465 - 04/16/16 08:56 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Byrain said:
Quote:

akira_akuma said:

That entire argument is bullshit. Final Fantasy 4 & 5 do not have these balance issues nor did 7. Not to mention most jrpgs from that era did not either, ff6 just suffers from an overambitious poorly thought out battle system. They were considered classics because most of the better games like Star Ocean, Tales of Phantasia, Rudra no Hihuo did not get officially localized to western audiences until years later if at all. When they did get localized, they were of versions significantly worse than the originals (The gba Tales of Phantasia and psp Star Ocean both suck relatively). Additionally the Tales series has always had poor localizations until very recently with Zestiria and Symphonia (ps3) and they skipped several of the supposedly better games which have yet to have finished fan translations.

4 & 5 & 7 had their own balance issues. 6 was just the most ill-conceived, of all the battle systems. 4 & 5 stuck to "jobs", which relatively works well. 7 had Materia, and Limit Breaks, which was cool, but also had it's own 'limitations', at least.

but sure 6 was the worse of them all for those reasons, but nonetheless it's a classic because it had a good story and great graphics. sure, it's "overrated", whatever that means.

Quote:

Konyap said:
all those games wouldn't be anything without Naussicca vally of the wind, that movie really set the stage for all rpg's in that era, even zelda.

If i had to remake the snes FF games they'd probably be only 20 hours
even a shitty game like undertale is more thrilling when you give someone something to do besides press the A button

yes yes yes, but FF is it's own thing. it's a derivative -- but so is just about any other game.

FF games are mostly about story -- and no they aren't perfect.

but enough talk.

InvisibleByrain

Re: Final Fantasy 6 [Re: Konyap]
    #23125481 - 04/16/16 09:04 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Konyap said:

In which way? Jrpgs had the same origin as western rpgs, Dungeons & Dragons and similar. Also only the second Zelda game for the nes had any (Minor) rpg elements, they have always been action adventure games and have more in common with point and click games like Broken Sword (Collecting items, solving puzzles, exploration) than Dungeons & Dragons (Character / party management, item management, role playing).

InvisibleEllisDSox
King Hella!

Re: Final Fantasy 6 [Re: Byrain] * 2
    #23126190 - 04/17/16 02:16 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Those of us who are sleep deprived are also highly aware that Link's physical appearance is completely stolen from Hellenistic images of Mithra. Link just wears the hat backwards because he thinks he's Fred Durst.

I haven't actually played FF6 for ages cause I've been working so much. I definitely think it's a really good game because of the storyline and I'll eventually finish it, but I think I just had a temporary obsession based on it being literally my only source of recreation most days.

I'm not even sure how far into it I am. Probably less than 30%.

You misunderstood my question about Star Ocean, by the way. I wasn't talking about balance issues, I was asking if you ever get more characters than can be in your party at once and have to trade them and shit.

--------------------

InvisibleChakanooga
Always Lmao
Male User Gallery

#23126198 - 04/17/16 02:23 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

:ahahaha:
Idk man with the way mithras is different it kinda makes it look derpy.

--------------------
Official:
Facemelter
HyperspaceTraveller
NostalgicGamer

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Bulk Substrate