Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store - Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineBoomer
Stranger
Oh Gheez, another casing question
    #2306806 - 02/05/04 10:55 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I'm a bit confused on one small detail when it comes to casing. I know that the ideal temp for mycellium growith is around 84, which holds true for the jars and then the casing while it is buildig its mycellium network. I'm wondering why it is necessary to drop the temp once the casing shows signs of mycellium growth in order for pinning to start. I wonder this because when you let your substrate mature long enough in the jars at 84 they pin on their own INSIDE THE JAR, so wouln't this same idea hold true for the casing if the temp was not reduced. Or on the other hand, once you add the substrate to the casing is it even necessary to keep the temp the same as it was when the jars were colonizing.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineTeon
Chemist/Self-AppointedFAQ Facist
Male

Loc: Here
Re: Oh Gheez, another casing question [Re: Boomer]
    #2307200 - 02/06/04 12:41 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

The short answer is that it is not necessary to lower the temp for fruiting to occur. As you have noted, your experience with in vitro fruiting confirms this. A drop in temp, or "Cold Shocking" is used as an artificial means of replicating just one of the many factors that cause mycelium to produce reproductive structures. These tools are used as a means of inducing fruiting at a particular time (ASAP) instead of simply waiting for the mycelium to decide on it's own. Ultimately, you're waiting on the mycelium either way, but I think the point is clear.

--------------------
No statements made in any post or message by myself should be construed to mean that I am now, have ever been, or will at any future time will be participating in or considering participation in any activities in violation of any legal statue; be it local, state, or federal law. All posts are works of fiction, and are intended for entertainment purposes only.

Don't just assume anything I or anyone else says is true. Test it for yourself. See if it's true.
Generate more useful information. The world is running desperately low on it.

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Oh Gheez, another casing question [Re: Teon]
    #2308266 - 02/06/04 12:45 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Not to mention that it's typically more trouble to keep the temep. at 84 than it is to keep it in the 70's. Most people don't want to have to heat their fruiting chambers, and the temp drop is just a side effect.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

InvisibleGoldenShroom
shhhh ....don'ttell anyone!

Loc: wherever shrooms grow wil...
Re: Oh Gheez, another casing question [Re: Boomer]
    #2309707 - 02/06/04 08:31 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

So the mycelium doesn't colonize the casing layer... If they are in jars you don't have to worry about that. You could try it the ways you describe, but I doubt you will get very good results.

P.S. This is a basic question and shouln't be in the advanced forum. Welcome.

--------------------
-The killer in me is the killer in you... so I send this smile over to you

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology