Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleSupalemonhaze
Spore syringe hater.
Male

Loc: 12" down Europe's butthole
Re: Laminar Flow Hood Calculations [Re: Stargate]
    #23047397 - 03/26/16 08:23 AM (8 years, 4 days ago)

I use an inline fan, perfectly good blower as long as it's rated for the cfm at the sp you need.

Fungifun hood tek also uses inline fan. They are widely used I  flowhoods since they are much cheaper, even more so in europe since you barely find a squirrel cage fan anywhere.

Only difference between them is the sp to cfm curve, squirrel cage fans normally do better under pressure than the inlines.

Some old members used to say that the way the air leaves the inline makes it unsuitable for a flowhood but that is outdated by hundreds of flowhood builds using them.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSupalemonhaze
Spore syringe hater.
Male

#23047406 - 03/26/16 08:28 AM (8 years, 4 days ago)

Quote:

Stargate said:
Well, a tip for anyone that is listening, the blower that everyone seems to link to on fungi.com $319 + shipping can actually be found on many other sites for $281.16 and free shipping. Thats likely a savings of $50+. Its the same exact blower.

Google Search: dayton 12g810

I'll pick one of those up.

Yeah Fungi Perfecti's stuff is overpriced for the most part. People buy from them because of who they're doing business with not because they will be striking any deals.

I don't see why people use them so much, must have a lotta extra cash to burn. For the rest of us who live paycheck to paycheck, it's kinda a no brainer.

InvisibleStargate
Addicted To Growing

Re: Laminar Flow Hood Calculations [Re: Supalemonhaze]
    #23056915 - 03/28/16 09:44 PM (8 years, 1 day ago)

Alright, I've ordered the Dayton 12g810 blower that fungi.com sells. Any idea if I need to throttle this thing?

--------------------
From before I started growing gourmet mushrooms:

Offlinemushpunx
Fungus Punk
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #23057753 - 03/29/16 05:24 AM (8 years, 1 day ago)

[quoti]Stargate said:
Well, a tip for anyone that is listening, the blower that everyone seems to link to on fungi.com $319 + shipping can actually be found on many other sites for $281.16 and free shipping. Thats likely a savings of $50+. Its the same exact blower.

Google Search: dayton 12g810

I'll pick one of those up.

Yea dude the blowers on Fungi Perfecti are a bit overpriced. I was only linking you to them as an example to what I sugguest you look for.  I bought my filter off FP though, a little expensive but fair since it was brand new and shipped very safe

281$ is still pretty expensive dude try Ebay or something. I bought my Dayton blower new in box off ebay for 90$ free shipping.

And if you look around try asking some furnace repair guys they  usually have used blowers for 40-59$

--------------------

Amateur Mycologists United
AMU Q&A

InvisibleStargate
Addicted To Growing

Re: Laminar Flow Hood Calculations [Re: mushpunx]
    #23061515 - 03/29/16 11:34 PM (8 years, 17 hours ago)

Too late, already got the thing. But still, any idea if I need to throttle it?

--------------------

Offlinemushpunx
Fungus Punk
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #23062484 - 03/30/16 08:49 AM (8 years, 8 hours ago)

Quote:

Stargate said:

Whats the specs? CFM @ free air and CFM @ .8  or 1.0 SP?

If you got it from fungi link me to which one it is

--------------------

AMU Q&A

InvisibleStargate
Addicted To Growing

#23062585 - 03/30/16 09:31 AM (8 years, 7 hours ago)

Quote:

mushpunx said:
Quote:

Stargate said:

Whats the specs? CFM @ free air and CFM @ .8  or 1.0 SP?

If you got it from fungi link me to which one it is

Its this one:
http://www.fungi.com/product-detail/product/universal-blower-1040-cfm-8-sp.html

--------------------

Offlinemushpunx
Fungus Punk
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #23062640 - 03/30/16 09:55 AM (8 years, 7 hours ago)

Yea you will have to power that down.

You need 400CFM @ 1.2 SP for your 24 x 24 " filter. That blower pushes 1040CFM at .8 static pressure so its 600CFM too high.

FP lists it as a universal blower for several different filter sizes so at least we know it is able to be powered down.

Im not really sure how you do that, I matched my blower close enough that I didnt need to change anything.

Theyre A/C blowers so I dunno if a speed controller would work. As far as I know though you can block off part of the air intake with cardboard to bring it down some.

So if I were you Id go ahead and build the hood. Remember to build AT LEAST a 12" deep plenum

Then you can fidget with the blower intake or a controller untill you have laminar flow.

--------------------

AMU Q&A

InvisibleStargate
Addicted To Growing

#23065837 - 03/31/16 01:55 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Just want to make sure the setup is correct. This is a side view of the box I plan to build. Its in a 3D modeling program, but I color coded the side so you can see where everything is. Those extra colors behind the box are a horizon in the 3D landscape, and some directional lines.

Left side: Entrance. I will be putting a border around the outside, and extending a platform forward to work on. This is so there is no drop below the laminar flow.

Purple: 1" thick outer case.

Grey: The grey on the left side is 11.5" in diameter, and 24" tall. This is where the HEPA will be.

Orange: This is the pre-filter. I plan to place a slot on the top of the frame to easily swap out the pre-filters. They are 1" thick.

Green: Wooden braces that keep the pre-filter from falling into the rest of the plenum.

Blue: The plenum. Its 12.5" deep.

I just want to make sure that this will be enough. Am I cutting it too close, or should I give an extra bit of room in the plenum? Any extra suggestions?

This 3D model (that you are only seeing the side of) was made so that I could figure out what size wood to buy for the frame, and to try to think of any extra pieces I may need.

--------------------

InvisibleSupalemonhaze
Spore syringe hater.
Male

#23065883 - 03/31/16 02:37 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

The prefilter is usually attached at the blowers intake, I think that will defeat the plenum's purpose like that but I'm not entirely sure. Prefilter would also have to be as big as the hepa itself, which is totally unnecessary if you mount it at the intake.

Here's how I did mine.

Whole thing.

Prefilter

Speed controller.

The table's surface is a few cm's above where the filter starts so I don't have to elevate my plates, much more comfortable this way.

The stud you see in the prefilter's pic is what is holding the blower. Mine is an inline fan so the intake is round. Instead of building supports on the inside, which would take plenum space as well as potentially disturb the airflow I made a couple of holes in the lip of the filter's intake and passed the stud through them. Snug and very strong, the filter has no play if I shake or flip the hood on it's side.

For the actual prefilter I used a metal grate which was previously used to house a round filter for the air intake of a large generator or something of the like. I then took the filter material which is a filter for a stove extractor hood and wrapped it around the metal grate and then attached the grate with screws, locking the filter's edges between the grate and the wood. I also put a thai clip around to hold it tight to the grate so it will be more aesthetically pleasing.

The wire you see coming out was a total oversight and a silly mistake on my part, I should have thought out that the speed controller would look better on the side rather than on top but by the time I changed my mind about that I had already assembled all the wood together with screws and silicone. For a leakproof seal around the wire I used an electrical grommet, which IMO looks better than a blob of silicone and definitely stronger.

If you're using a rectangular prefilter like what's commonly found in the US, you can just thai clip it to the intake but I needed something to keep the blower from swallowing  the flexible filter I was using.

Post the end result when it's done, I'm curious if you'll be able to work in front of that hood without physically attaching yourself to the table with that much airflow.

Offlinemushpunx
Fungus Punk
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #23066114 - 03/31/16 05:45 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/21482484#21482484

Here is the thread where I built my hood,

I built a housing around my blower with a pre filter on top, not everyone does that a lot of people just attAch a pre filter to the blower intake.

I dont understand where you are putting your pre filter. The purpose of the pre filter is simply to filter out larger particles to extend the life of your HEPA, you dont really need one but they are a good idea.

Pre filter should be outside of the blower... the blower intake PULLS air through the pre filter and PUSHES air down into the plenum behind the blower.

12.5... is the very bare minimum for the plenum with a 12" deep filter. Mine is a 6" deep filter and I went with a 12" plenum.
In my opinion, you should go with at least an 18" plenum in yours.

Make sure you silicone the inside the box!

--------------------

AMU Q&A

InvisibleStargate
Addicted To Growing

#23066758 - 03/31/16 10:53 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Ah, alright. In my design, the pre-filter was sitting against the HEPA, so that the air would go through that just barely before hitting the HEPA.

So, I need to have the pre-filter in front of the HEPA. Got it.

--------------------

InvisibleSupalemonhaze
Spore syringe hater.
Male

#23066823 - 03/31/16 11:18 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

No, the prefilter will be behind it, in an airflow sense.

--airflow-->--prefilter-->--blower-->--plenum-->--hepa-->--workflow.

Offlinemushpunx
Fungus Punk
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #23066964 - 03/31/16 11:50 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Stargate said:
Ah, alright. In my design, the pre-filter was sitting againstf2f the HEPA, so that the air would go through that just barely before hitting the HEPA.

So, I need to have the pre-filter in front of the HEPA. Got it.

No dude. The blower pulls air thru the pre filter and pushes it down into the plenum and through the HEPA

Did you look at the photos / build log I dug out for you? Have you looked at any other flow hood builds?

Here is a very crude pencil sketch of *my* hood.  I use a housing around the blower for the pre filter but you dont need that; you can just stick the pre filter against the intake on the side of the blower

Edited by mushpunx (03/31/16 12:00 PM)

InvisibleStargate
Addicted To Growing

#23067041 - 03/31/16 12:09 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

What I was saying, was that my previous design I drew up had the pre-filter in front of the filter. I was trying to say that I now understand that it needs to be before the blower. I get what you guys are saying. Just trying to think of how I'm going to adjust the design to fit that, and hopefully keep it aesthetically pleasing.

--------------------

Offlinemushpunx
Fungus Punk
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #23067764 - 03/31/16 03:33 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Stargate said:
What I was saying, was that my previous design I drew up had the pre-filter in front of the filter. I was trying to say that I now understand that it needs to be before the blower. I get what you guys are saying. Just trying to think of how I'm going to adjust the design to fit that, and hopefully keep it aesthetically pleasing.

Well a 24 x 24" hood is usually a big rectangle. With youre filter Id probably build it approx 24 x 24 x 30. Furing strips around the inside right behind where the filter sits.

Above the plenum behind the filter I would cut a rectangular hole out of the top where the mouth of the blower is going to get bolted above.

You want to build the hood frame *around* the filter so that it will fit perfectly snug. Its a little tricky but you want the filter to kind of sit tightly inside.
My filter holds tight in my hood but I still ran molding around the front that keeps the filter in place just to be safe/make sure all the air is blowing thru the filter.

Inside the hood you want to seal up all the cracks and behind the furing strips with the proper silicone.

As for the pre filter, you have a choice there. I built a housing around my blower and I have a good Filtrete pre filter held in place by coping... I just undo the top boards to change the filter/access tge blower.

But if you dont want to do all that you can simply hook a filter to the blower, covering the intake.
I think that is how RR has his pre filter on his hood.

--------------------

AMU Q&A

InvisibleStargate
Addicted To Growing

#23069570 - 03/31/16 11:58 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Alright, here is the redesign.

So, this is how it works. There is a top area where with an open top. The blower goes in here in order to pull air down, and shove it through a hole into the plenum. Above where the blower sits, see that bump out? I have 24"x24" pre-filters that will drop right onto there to be suspended above the blower. This would make monitoring and replacing the pre-filter (I have 12 of em) to be easy. It just sits on the top.

See the bump out in the plenum area? Well, the HEPA would slide in from the front to meet those pieces of wood, than the face of the flow hood would be screwed onto the face around the HEPA, not into it. Think this would work?

Sadly, I accidentally didn't save the file when I closed out the 3D modeling program, so these screen shot pics are all I have of what I designed.

Transparent view:

Solid main view:

Top View:

Front View:

--------------------

InvisibleStargate
Addicted To Growing

#23077579 - 04/02/16 11:52 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Sooo, can anyone confirm if this design would be good or not?

--------------------

InvisibleSupalemonhaze
Spore syringe hater.
Male

#23077832 - 04/03/16 02:36 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Mine ain't like that so I dunno how that type is supposed to look. If you have enough space for your blower in that top box, it's good I reckon.

Invisibleblindingleaf
blue collar underworld
 User Gallery

Loc: sub-surface unseen
Trusted Cultivator
    #23077970 - 04/03/16 05:23 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

yea, that will work.  i would get rid of that work area outshoot.  keep those filter stops instead of using silicone to adhere the filter.  the frame will push up against the weather proofing and hold the HEPA in place without air escaping unnecessarily

--------------------
A few thoughts on cultivation
MICROBIAL HUSBANDRY!!!!

The whole is greater than the sum of its parts

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom