Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Visions
    #2305831 - 02/05/04 03:50 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

My old computer used to clutter up the screen with meaningless color patterns before it died. It wasn't working properly and the memory was being overwritten.

Visions - why do they only seem to be the product of an abnormally functioning brain? Apparently people only see visions after sleep deprivation, fever, serious illness, bodily trauma, extended fasting or psychotropic drugs. All of these things are disruptive to the normal, healthy functioning of the brain. Visions appear to be (no pun) a by-product of this disruption rather than a connection with a higher plane.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePHARMAKOS
addict
Re: Visions [Re: Swami]
    #2305932 - 02/05/04 04:14 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

and of course there are also dreams, visions that each living person has 3-5 times every night, during an essential part of a healthy brain cycle...

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
    #2305940 - 02/05/04 04:16 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Even so if that is true that they are more of dysfunction, than higher order function as you say.

What if one could learn how to manipulate those images, or utilize them for oneself. The "vision" isnt useless, even if it isnt because of some higher power.

Does everyone think that they are a product of a higher power?

--------------------
What?

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

Loc: Portland, OR
    #2305983 - 02/05/04 04:25 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

both of you made good points. a lot of the time my imagination works in more of a vision format, than a brain-storming format... art and poetry comes to me more in a pictureshow style than anything, where my techniques in recording them and displaying them on paper or through instruments is a matter of learning and skill and effort, my imagination is more effortless and passive.

--------------------
Everything is better than it was the last time.  I'm good.

If we could look into each others hearts, and understand the unique challenges each of us faces, I think we would treat each other much more gently, with more love, patience, tolerance, and care.

It takes a lot of courage to go out there and radiate your essence.

I know you scared, you should ask us if we scared too.  If you was there, and we just knew you cared too.

OfflineSole_Worthy
Stranger

Loc: over here
    #2306075 - 02/05/04 04:59 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Perhaps an abnormally functioning mind is more in tune with the working of a higher plain

--------------------
get it all together get like birds of a feather

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #2306090 - 02/05/04 05:04 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I summon visions every evening in bed before sleep...

Hypnogogic imagery (I believe its called) is fascinating.

I see what you mean though... I've never had a hypnogogic image strike me as nearly as powerful or profound as various drug hallucinations or visions from not sleeping for days.

This is strange, maybe its one's mind trying to say "HEY FUCKER SOMETHING'S UP!"

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
    #2306113 - 02/05/04 05:11 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Sole_Worthy said:
Perhaps an abnormally functioning mind is more in tune with the working of a higher plain

--------------------

InvisibleSkorpivoMusterion
Livin in theTwilight Zone...
 User Gallery

Loc: You can't spell fungus wi...
    #2306153 - 02/05/04 05:25 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Shroomism said:
Quote:

Sole_Worthy said:

When you take psychedelic drugs...it opens up doors....

in your mind. Doors that the "upper management" of USA's Society would rather you keep shut.

And then often times...people become...

ENLIGHTENED...

Simply....because...they...ALTERED....their consciousness.

They entered....an ABNORMAL....state of mind...

Reaching..enlightenment...in an altered and abnormal state of mind.

With that in mind is it so hard to concieve that visions people can encounter in an altered and abnormal state of mind, are also of a higher and more 'enlightened' existence? PARTICULARLY....when we take hallucinogens? (Which, again...open up DOORS...in your mind)

--------------------
Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Visions [Re: SkorpivoMusterion]
    #2306163 - 02/05/04 05:31 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

It's all relative to your definition of an abnormally functioning mind. How do we know when the mind is functioning abnormally, when we know so little about it's function in the first place?

Perhaps what we consider to be disruptive functioning of the brain, in some cases, could actually weaken or distract the ego, and more subtle energies could be perceived by a being who is functioning in an altered state of consciousness, outside of regular ego consciousness, which is rather calculative. Perhaps this "abnormal" functioning, is really just a quick glimpse into the spirit world as we vibrate at a different frequency then 'normal'.

--------------------

OfflineViaggio
ChemicalConsumer

Re: Visions [Re: Shroomism]
    #2306164 - 02/05/04 05:31 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I think visions (from whatever cause) are often accompanied with the feeling of depth and importance (spiritual meaning) because of their rare occurrence.

--------------------
"...yet another in a long series of diversions an attempt to avoid responsibility."

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#2306174 - 02/05/04 05:35 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I once had visions while in a delirium as my brain was at 104.5 degrees, which is quite dangerous. I think you can die or do permanent damage a little above 105 degrees, so in that case it certainly seems to be malfunctioning. There was no meaning associated with these visions.

--------------------

OfflineMrGrib
Stranger

#2306185 - 02/05/04 05:40 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Swami said:
Apparently people only see visions after sleep deprivation, fever, serious illness, bodily trauma, extended fasting or psychotropic drugs. All of these things are disruptive to the normal, healthy functioning of the brain. Visions appear to be (no pun) a by-product of this disruption rather than a connection with a higher plane.

Maybe it's that our brains are currently in a disrupted state and it's these things you listed that return us to "normal, healthy" brain function. Besides, wasn't just other humans who defined what's "normal" and "healthy" for the brain? Who's to say they're not wrong? I certainly wouldn't assume they're right. They're only human.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Visions [Re: MrGrib]
    #2306196 - 02/05/04 05:44 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I would define normal brain functioning as the ability to deal with survival issues. Could you work, defend yourself, drive a car, effectively communicate with random others in many of these conditions? Not likely; therefore not "normal". Of course, you could choose to play semantic games which rarely leads anywhere...

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #2306198 - 02/05/04 05:45 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Well I would venture to say that different causes of visions could denote different meanings. For example, a roasting brain vision.. is likely your brain going woah.. this isn't normal.. time to go crazy..

Why do visions seem to happen more frequently before the potential for death?

Perhaps the 'malfunctioning', is just the spirit's eye opening.

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #2306212 - 02/05/04 05:50 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Well I'm just a little leary because I have visions (outside of near-death encounters), and I function in society (somewhat...haha), and as far as I know, my brain is functioning "normally". So does that mean that I am schizophrenic or what?

I once saw four pillars of multidimensional light with triangle heads through self-hypnosis, they were very friendly and helpful. Those damn visions.

--------------------

OfflineMrGrib
Stranger

#2306219 - 02/05/04 05:54 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

where did you come up with this term "survival issues"? What may be survival issues for you may not be survival issues for another. So your attributing the term "normal" to these functions is clearly biased. Please rethink your point.

OfflineCleverName
the cloudsshould know meby now...

Loc: red earth painted with mi...
    #2306245 - 02/05/04 06:04 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

i think that there is a difference between visions and hallucinations. when i hallucinate i know the experience with more senses; this is what happens in those critical(disfunctioning) periods...they are hallucinations, not visions. visions can be associated with more non-critical experiences, like when you use your imagination. when you are in a critical experience your brain is not relativley normal, so chemicals are sent out of whack...i dont know...ive got to think about this some more

--------------------
if you can't find the truth right where you are, where else do you expect to find it?

this is the purpose

Anonymous

#2306252 - 02/05/04 06:07 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

OfflineCleverName
the cloudsshould know meby now...

Loc: red earth painted with mi...
Re: Visions [Re: ]
    #2306258 - 02/05/04 06:10 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

well, save personally trying to get as close to death as possible, we could research near death experiences and draw on simularities of 'visions' as a start

--------------------
if you can't find the truth right where you are, where else do you expect to find it?

this is the purpose

Invisiblepsyka
Praetorian
 User Gallery

Re: Visions [Re: MrGrib]
    #2306263 - 02/05/04 06:11 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Indeed Swamers, you need not look far.

Cats, birds, many animals, are in tune with visions. Birds migrate before the snows, cats flee with their offspring before natural disaster...other situations can be found if you desired to search.

--------------------
As the life of a candle,
my wick will burn out.
But, the fire of my mind
shall beam into infinite.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom