Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Shroomery University

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMyCoFiend420
ShRoOmEr
Male User Gallery

Loc: the mitt
Calculus 1 or Calculus with Applications for Bio. major?
    #23045757 - 03/25/16 09:10 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Hi all,
I recently talked to my Biological Sciences advisor about what courses i should register for. She advised me to enroll in Calculus with applications, which (according to my friend) is going to be harder than taking Calculus 1. Mathematics is not my strongest subject and dont want to take any harder math courses than i need to. 
Im wondering if this course is better suited for Biology majors than calculus 1 because of the applications or if i could just take Calc 1 and be fine?
id ask my advisor but it's friday night so i have to wait until monday, plus i havent been on here in awhile :P
thanks,

--------------------
There are thing known,and things unknown
and in between them
are the doors of perception

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineThebooedocksaint
Stranger

Re: Calculus 1 or Calculus with Applications for Bio. major? [Re: MyCoFiend420]
    #23053169 - 03/27/16 10:57 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

I have never heard of a program with a "harder" calculus class than the normal calc 1 (derivatives), calc 2 (Integrals), calc 3 (multi-variable). My school had an advanced calculus class that was based on mostly proofs and stuff. I shared a lot of courses with bio majors, they never seemed to complain about much math. Most of it is pretty simple chemistry (Really just algebra with formula's to memorize).

I'm not a biology guy though, so I'm a bad person to ask. I don't know why an applications course would be better... it might be an easier calc course for people who don't need to take the full sequence of calc courses?

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

Re: Calculus 1 or Calculus with Applications for Bio. major? [Re: Thebooedocksaint] * 1
    #23082529 - 04/04/16 03:42 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Calculus is required for a Biology major?  That sucks, I could see statistics, but not calc. I'd say skip it if possible.

--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Loc: Brick City Flag
Re: Calculus 1 or Calculus with Applications for Bio. major? [Re: badchad]
    #23083658 - 04/04/16 08:27 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

badchad said:
Calculus is required for a Biology major?  That sucks, I could see statistics, but not calc. I'd say skip it if possible.

How are you going to model changes in environmental systems, then? :V

I thought calc was part of *every* major. They make the engineering students take liberal arts shit, so it's only fair.

--------------------
Any research paper or book for free
(Avatar is Maxxy, a character by Mizzyam, RIP)

OfflineBrian Jones
Club 27
Male User Gallery

Loc: attending Snake Church
Re: Calculus 1 or Calculus with Applications for Bio. major? [Re: micro]
    #23088795 - 04/06/16 07:07 AM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

micro said:
Quote:

badchad said:

How are you going to model changes in environmental systems, then? :V

I thought calc was part of *every* major. They make the engineering students take liberal arts shit, so it's only fair.

Calculus is not required for most majors, and most bio majors are not going to model changes in environmental systems. My school had about 110 majors and maybe 20 reqired calc. The reason why they force engineering students to take a couple of liberal arts classes is because they had all these half geniuses who didn't have a clue about how to construct a paragraph. I spent over 11 years at a University that had over 8,000 engineering students, so these issues were debated a lot and the they started requiring some writing classes for engineers in the 80's. Personally I think they should have required them to take a class to learn how to dress, buy clothes etc. About 10% could be exempt, but the rest were why they came up with the term "enginerds".

On the other hand, the stats class I taught must have been one of the easiest ways to get through a stats requirement. I came to this conclusion after noticing how many of my students were dance and art majors, besides the nurses and social science majors who really needed to know statistics. I dropped trig/calc in high school and it never came up in 3 semesters of graduate level statistics. I doubt I could have ever got through one semester of undergraduate stats from a math or engineering dept., even at a 2 year college. But the class I taught for 6 semesters had more cute chicks than any other stats class in the world.

My real point is the average educated person only needs to know enough stats to understand public opinion and political polling. The rest is for you techies.

--------------------
"The Rolling Stones will break up over Brian Jones' dead body"    John Lennon

I don't want no commies in my car. No Christians either.

OfflineWah
Strangest

Loc: NW WA
Re: Calculus 1 or Calculus with Applications for Bio. major? [Re: Brian Jones]
    #23100556 - 04/09/16 03:53 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

I'm a fancy greek letter honors student and this is my take on the problem:

I hate to say it but the actual value of the material to you isn't an important factor in *this* case. Self-fulfillment is not what university is about.

If you take the easier one, the difference will be filled in quickly through other courses in your major. If you take the other one, it will be forgotten quickly either way, because Calculus with Applications will by no means have anything to do with YOUR applications! People from many majors will be taking it, and the course will be designed to be equally mediocre for all. It's "with applications", not "with bio applications".

I bet one reason your peers think it's harder is because they had to go through it and be taught a bunch of applications that have nothing to do with their major. Don't make the same mistake!

Email the profs and ask if you can see the syllabus for each before you register.

Look at the grading policy. Professors that count "class participation" and other shite unrelated to the learning as a high percentage of the grade tend to inflate the grades more, so your transcript will be prettier for the same amount of work. If either or both drops lowest scores for some things, convert everything to a percentage of the total grade and see how much of your lowest-graded work is actually dropped. Favor the course that drops more. Hey - there's a maths application right there! And one that can help you IRL right now, to boot!

What are the textbooks?

Wolfram Alpha will be better at Calc I, or at least typing your problems will be easy more consistently.

Which one uses a more popular textbook? Look for # of reviews on Amazon. I'm guessing Calc I. This is important because you have a better chance at finding answers for online homework, and a better chance at finding an instructor's edition of the textbook to download. Either way, please do pirate your textbook if you can. You have a civic obligation to. Pirate it and burn it when you're finished. :laugh:

Often, you can find PDFs from class handouts and lecture slides and stuff on .edu sites with some clever googling. This is a really great way to get answers, because chances are your instructor is using recycled sample problems too and not coming up with their own. Problems in online homework are VERY often like this - do you really think your instructors make all that clip art themselves? This method becomes more and more viable if the textbook is more popular.

Look at how easy it is to cheat at MasteringPhysics for example. Pearson has a lot of universities including mine by :blowme: contracts to make all the non-tenured faculty force their $300 shit books on students that several faculty members I know already don't care about. So they're disproportionately popular across the country, such that there are entire websites dedicated to cheating at the material! I think that's a world record for asshole publishers shooting themselves in the foot. 

The take away is even if it's not directly related to your major, IT STILL GOES ON YOUR TRANSCRIPT and the workload WILL impact your performance in other courses that ARE in sequences you care about!

Be self-serving with your GURs unless there's a subject taught by a good prof that you actually also care about.

I'm majoring in disillusionment BTW.

OfflineThebooedocksaint
Stranger

Re: Calculus 1 or Calculus with Applications for Bio. major? [Re: Wah]
    #23104358 - 04/10/16 08:16 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Also!
USE YOUTUBE. MIT and Yale both have decent lecture series on all of the mail calc i-iii topics. Depending on your syllabus you may have extra sections, or some may be omitted (Newton's method of finding roots is almost always skipped at my college for example). I've never looked for a "general calculus" lecture.

As an aside. Make sure you know a few trig identities. The Pythagorean relation, and Half-Angle relations show up in integral calculus (calc II). I didn't, it made the homework slightly more difficult for a few sections. I'm pretty sure I missed a question on an exam because I forgot about the half angle formula.

I always found calculus much more interesting than previous math courses.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale

General Interest >> Shroomery University

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Middleman
937 topic views. 0 members, 0 guests and 0 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Print Topic ]
Search this thread:
Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Copyright 1997-2021 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.033 seconds spending 0.005 seconds on 15 queries.