Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinejarby
Stranger
 User Gallery

Ridiculously Scrawny/Weak
    #2302042 - 02/04/04 06:05 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Okay to tell you the truth, I haven't had consistant exercise since early high school, when I played tennis twice a week, soccer twice a week, and took physed 2-3 days a week in school. Since then I've slowly cut down on everything, and recently I had been doing squash twice a week, but now that's more like once every two or sometimes even three weeks. Aside from that, I do absolutely no sport, and hardly any physical activity, basically none. I sit in front of my computer probably about 6 hours a day, just downloading/listening to music and posting on a forum related to music, and occasionally this one. I also play guitar (not really physical, though being the weak fuck that I am I actually have gotten physically tired from playing before). I often skip meals like breakfast or lunch (not both) and when I eat I don't exactly eat shitloads. I do get hungry though and guaruntee I have no eating disorder other than I'm too lazy to eat.

Lately I've noticed that I'm really scrawny (well I was always aware of being on the boney side but never to the extent that I realized I had to do something about it), and now I want to change. I had a post recently in this forum about my scrawny wrists, they're probably what started to make me realize my problem and they're what I want to change the most, though my arms are quite flimsy too. I weight about 140lbs and am approximatly 5'11".

Just now I was frustrated with myself so decided to do some pushups/situps. Not surprisingly, I was only able to do about 5 full-out-kiss-the-ground push-ups and about 20 sit-ups before realizing I couldn't go on. Pathetic.

I really want to lift weight or something, but I am absolutely terrified of going to a gym because I'd probably die of embarassment. I may be able to get some really light ones to start with or something for home, but how much will they help? What can I do on my own to bulk up, what sort of routine? For example, if I did every morning and evening 10 pushups and 30 situps or something, slowly increasing the amount, would I notice a difference, and if so how long would it take? Once I get some kind of base strength maybe I wouldn't be too embarassed to go to a gym.

What I'd really like is someone who could tell me they were like this and gained some mass or maybe someone who can recommend a good daily routine for me to get me out of this mess. Thanks for reading/helping.

Edited by jarby (02/04/04 06:09 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
Re: Ridiculously Scrawny/Weak [Re: jarby]
    #2302291 - 02/04/04 07:09 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Well I'm quite scrawny myself!

Currently I weigh in at 117 lbs and am about 5'7. I don't exercise, aside from a lot of walking (I walk just about everywhere I need to go), but I'm not exactly "out of shape" or anything.

I just tried doing some pushups...I can get to about 20 before starting to push it. Back in HS I could do about 65-70 pushups in 60 seconds (one of the "physical tests" we had to do in phys-ed).

However...I don't think my size is pathetic at all! I'm not embarrassed by it, and actually enjoy the conversation that comes up when I tell people I only weigh 117lbs :smirk:

For comparrison, I only weighed 125lbs back in HS when I could do that many pushups.

As for gaining weight...I find that when I do use my muscles on a daily basis I put on weight fast. I have weighed in the 115-125lbs range for at least the past 8 years except for one time several summers ago when I got a job as a general labourer in construction.

When I started, I weighed in at 120lbs...after a week and a half I was up to 135lbs and stayed there for the rest of the summer (the time that I had the job). Unfortunately as soon as I quit the job and went back to school...I was back down to 120lbs in a week. Fast metabolism, I've been told :smirk:

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
    #2302347 - 02/04/04 07:22 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

You gotta eat lots of food man.
Lots of food.
and exercise.. some martial arts would get your ass in shape in no time.
but dont listen to me.. I'm only 6'1 @ 170 lbs..not exactly Heman
but it's all about being able to use your body effectively

mass is not as important as definition..but you need a little mass to shape some definition. eat more protein = fish, meats, nuts.... eat lots of fruits and vegetables and grains and fats and sugars. load up on carbs. now that all these people are going crazy on the atkins diet there is three times as much excess bread stuffs laying around so we gotta pick up the slack. mmm carbs.

--------------------

Offlinemanna_man
High onlife.....andcrack

Loc: Vancouver
    #2302407 - 02/04/04 07:37 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I used to be a very skinny kid about a year ago. Now I am bulking up and developing a nice and healthy looking bod.

First of all, you're gonna have to start eating. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, as you've heard before. Eat foods that are high in protein (chicken, tofu, meat, fish, milk,nuts etc)to build muscle faster and keep it.

Continue to do pushups, they are one of the best home exercises you can do for your body. Make sure you keep your back straight and go down until your dick touches the ground. This will build up your chest, back, triceps, and shoulders.

Working out is really the best way to gain muscle though. I used to only be able to lift the lightest weights in the gym and it was embarrassing as hell. So I only went to the gym at times when it was almost deserted, either early morning or late at night.
But then I realized it's really nothing to be embarassed about.
The key is to start small and work your way up, so you dont injure yourself. You want to build a solid foundation before you start lifting heavier weights.

If you choose to work out, you could even look into buying some protein powder. That stuff works wonders for building muscle faster.They have this stuff called Creatine that is supposed to be amazing.

--------------------
This post is protected under copyrite law.All above content is strictly the property of ?manna_man.Any infringement of copyright property is strictly prohibited.Any violators will be stretched, shot, and then vaporized into a state of anti-matter, where they will cease to exist.

Invisibleblacksabbathrulz
 User Gallery
Re: Ridiculously Scrawny/Weak [Re: Shroomism]
    #2302418 - 02/04/04 07:39 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

What shroomism said. I would recommend buying some dumbells and doing a variety of excersizes with them, flys, delts curls, etc etc. I've never had a problem being scrawny, im a pretty big guy 6'6 280. But when I started to lift weights, I gained weight pretty fast. I started out about 3 years ago and I could bench about 140, Im up to 305 now so if you stick with it you'll get stronger. Weight doesn't matter much. Its all about definition, you can have no body fat, not too much muscle but still be relatively strong. Some people are just blessed with more muscle than others, I am one of those people, but its very hard for me to lose weight. It took forever for me to remove most of my body fat. So its kind of like a 2 way street. Also if you go to a private gym people won't criticize you, unless you are at a college town or university, most of the people there are douches. Eat lots of meat, it provides protein and fat.

--------------------

Invisibleblacksabbathrulz
 User Gallery
Re: Ridiculously Scrawny/Weak [Re: manna_man]
    #2302432 - 02/04/04 07:42 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

manna_man said:

If you choose to work out, you could even look into buying some protein powder. That stuff works wonders for building muscle faster.They have this stuff called Creatine that is supposed to be amazing.

I would not advise buying creatine. Its purpose is to supposedly allow your muscles to work for a slightly longer period of time. I personally have tried it and had a horrific time trying to stay hydrated. No matter how much fluid I drank I would be thirsty. I would just advise eating protein based foods, red meat especially, and chicken.

--------------------

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

#2302433 - 02/04/04 07:42 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Oh I can assure you that the ammount of food you eat just doesn't matter for some people :smirk:

Take the ammount of food that will cause some people to gain 10 lbs...and my scale won't change a bit.

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: Ridiculously Scrawny/Weak [Re: blacksabbathrulz]
    #2302617 - 02/04/04 08:38 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

creatine does something with the water in the muscles..I'm no scientist so I dont know the specifics.. but for it to work effectively, you must drink shitloads of water and work out after you use it as well as eating lots of protein.

--------------------

Offlinedaba
Stranger
 User Gallery

#2303407 - 02/05/04 12:31 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT
MEAT MEAT MEAT MEAT MEAT MEAT MEAT

--------------------
Fold for The Shroomery!

OfflineOook
Oook!

Loc: England
Re: Ridiculously Scrawny/Weak [Re: daba]
    #2303683 - 02/05/04 02:23 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

jarby you really are worrying too much about your size, im 6ft 4 and weigh 125lbs yeah i'm skinny but I don't see the point in worrying  about it. Think about it this way, especially if you live in America, there are so many horrificly fat people that people like us keep the balance :wink:

OfflineJameZTheNewbie
The Mahatma OfZalu

Loc: pass the gates of hell 2 ...
    #2303754 - 02/05/04 03:20 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

im not scawny i need to loose weight but i was pretty weak so i started exercising and i would do pushups and sit ups just about every day. like first i started with ten push ups and 20 sit ups and then i went up to forty pushups and 50 situps. ive been slacking off though recently because i got some muscle so i got lazy....but if u do start doing push ups and sit ups u will definatly notice the difference it may take a month or two...plus eat protein to build muscles. if thats any help.

--------------------
Mice have feelings

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

#2303913 - 02/05/04 06:58 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

From what I've heard, creatine reduces the muscle's recuperation time significantly - which allows you to work out harder and longer than normal, and at the same time take less of a break in between working out.

And yes, you have to actually work out for the creatine to have any muscle-building effect.

--------------------

OfflineShroomNewb
enthusiast
    #2304231 - 02/05/04 09:53 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I am 5'11 140 too. I can't gain weight though, one week I basically went on a diet of baked goods.. let me tell you my baked goods aren't low fat. I actually lost 5 pounds. 90% of body building is diet so take notice. Personally I like being thin although I would like to weigh 160. I can fit between small spaces, I feel light and "bouncy" almost.. must be hard carrying around lotsa weight. Oh, and I don't exercise a bit. When I do I usually only gain 4-5 pounds. I heard some dude say it is twice as hard to gain weight than lose it.

OfflineOook
Oook!

Re: Ridiculously Scrawny/Weak [Re: ShroomNewb]
    #2304384 - 02/05/04 10:27 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

The only exercise is do is free running, i'm pretty strong for my size though.

Offlinefilthysock
puresoul

Loc: Bergen, Norway
Re: Ridiculously Scrawny/Weak [Re: Oook]
    #2305241 - 02/05/04 01:53 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I just started working out a few weeks ago, these last few days I've cought a cold so I cant work, and thats what bothers me about being sick the most, I love working out, it makes me feel better, look better, boosts my mood and its easier to sleep at nights.

THe natural morphine (endorphine?) the body releases after a work out is so chill and the perfect time to toke is after you've done a good work out. I'm actually noticing a differance allready and its only been a few weeks. I went from being able to do 3 pull-ups (once a day) to 12 pull-ups (2-3 times a day) in a matter of a few weeks.
All I've done is work out every 2nd day, eat LOTS of bread... sandwitches as big as Big Mac's and wheat cereal or whatever its called (Musli in norwegian).

You need to push weights... but even more importantly... really push your eating, and eat things like bread, nuts, eggs (really good), hamburger is actually pretty good to eat sometimes if you wotk out...

If it really bothers you to be scrawny I would reccomend you to buy weights and equipment... manuals are good. A membership to a gym allways gets forgotten in a matter of months, if you have weights at home you will allways be able to do them allmost whenever you want.

--------------------
Magic mushrooms are not addictive, the shroomery is!

OfflineOook
Oook!

Re: Ridiculously Scrawny/Weak [Re: filthysock]
    #2305422 - 02/05/04 02:22 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

jarby do a dance that will make you feel good, it can be a really shit dance too. Get the party boy themetune from jackass it's one of my favourite dancing tunes :laugh:

InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

Loc: Metropolis City, USA
    #2305859 - 02/05/04 03:56 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

when i first got into weight lifting i could lift a very minimal amount. i was about 5'5" or 5'6" and weighed about 130 lbs. this was during my freshman year of high school. my bench weight was 95 lbs and i could only do about 3 or 4 reps before i couldn't do any more. i did my routine 3 times a week, which lasted about 30 minutes to 45 minutes each time. pretty soon i was able to bench 115, then even 135 (although only once). when you first get into weight lifting it is hard because you can do barely any weight but when you first start you will see your quickest improvements...i upped my bench from 95 lbs 3 or 4 reps to the same weight 12 reps in about a month or so.

i'm not big or anything. i weigh 165 and am 5'10" now (freshman in college)...this is still very small compared to the people that i see at the gym every day but i am reasonably cut and toned. i can now bench press 200 lbs one time and lift alot more of the other weights i used to. i go 5 times a week and spend over an hour in there each time. i would like to gain some weight and get bigger so i'm focusing on eating a lot of protein.

try some of these things and you will likely gain muscle/weight. it will be frustrating at first (like you said about the pushups and situps) but as time passes there will be noticeable improvement. i know it is a pain in the ass but keep doing the pushups and situps, even if you can only do a few. if you do this every time you are bored in your room or whatever then you will be doing lots of them each day. you will be able to do more and more as time passes. good luck

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.
To engage in boisterous, drunken merrymaking.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale