Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Autoclave, Laminar Flow Hood, Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinemott
the crimsonavenger
autoclave help
    #2304160 - 02/05/04 11:25 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

my girlfriend has access to a level 3 lab and thats just splendid! there's also an autoclave in that lab they use to sterilize everything, and we easily fit 12 jars in that momma. now, when and after the jars cooled, we began to inoc them uder this kickass flowhood, and when the lids were removed, we noticed h2o droplets on their undersides. twas our first time at this, and we had a mild panic, we decided to just tap the jar lids inside the flow hood to remove that moisture, assuming that is was from the autoclave. the other alternative could be that it was condinsation from the substrate water, which would mean everything's otay! so 2.5 weeks go by, and there is SOME myc growth, but not your ideal, picturesque (sp) mycelluim. it seems now most growth has halted and i'm getting that stinky sock smell!! Baccilius?? the jars were spewing out a delicious mushroom smell until i bumped up the temp within a haphazard incubator (that seemed to work just fine) just a few days ago. any suggestions?? is there a way to work around baccilius (if thats how you spell it)? and also, i used the substrate recipe from the PF tek, for maximum flowering, and am curious if that turns out to be too much moisture for 1.5 pints. let me know! thanks so much
mott

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
Re: autoclave help [Re: mott]
    #2304932 - 02/05/04 02:49 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

It's difficult without a pic but i believe it could be due to too much water in the substrate, that easily promotes bacterial contamination. Also that incubator, have you checked its temperature ?
Btw, there's no way to work around bacillus contamination.

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

Offlinemott
the crimsonavenger
Re: autoclave help [Re: MAIA]
    #2305168 - 02/05/04 03:42 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

yeah, though haphazard, it kept the jars right at 86F. when i did incubate, i put about 6 jars (now the contams) into an 8qt contaner, and the other 6 in another. i can't say that they are all infected, though the chances are high. i mixed all the jars indivudually and am starting to realize that i shouldn't do it that way next time. also, i believe i'll switch to a rye berry substrate and draw out the sterilization period to make sure the moisture level is good and there are no contams. thanks

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Autoclave, Laminar Flow Hood, Rye Grain

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum