Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleMostly_HarmlessM
wyrd bið ful aræd
Male User Gallery

Loc: Perfidious Albion Flag
Endangered magnolia species identified
    #23028518 - 03/21/16 12:07 AM (8 years, 9 days ago)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-35855625

Quote:

The rare magnolia plants were identified after a biologist in Mexico spotted them on the Arkive website in Bristol

Two new species of magnolia flower have been identified after being spotted on "Noah's Ark' online archive.

Photographs of the endangered Magnolia dealbata, held by Bristol-based Arkive, were seen by a botanist at a Mexican university more than 5,500 miles away.

The plants were tracked to Mexico's Serra Gorda Biosphere Reserve and identified.

Lucie Muir, chief executive of Arkive, said they were "thrilled" by the discovery.

'Highest honour'

After seeing pictures of the flowers, botanist Dr Jose Antonio Vazquez asked the original photographer for more images of the plant.

The plants are a 'thrilling' discovery, according to the director of the Arkive website

Photographer Roberto Pedraza Ruiz said he then made several more trips to the forest "documenting the flowers and fruits of the trees until finally receiving confirmation that I had photographed not only one but two completely new species of magnolias".

The first specimen was named Magnolia rzedowskiana, after emininet Mexican botanist, Dr Jerzy Rzedowski, while the second is to be named Magnolia pedrazae, in honour of its photographer.

Mr Ruiz said: "This is without doubt the highest honour that a conservationist and nature photographer can receive."

The Arkive website, run by the charity Wildscreen, hosts 16,000 images of flora and fauna.

It claims to be the world's largest online encyclopaedia of life, receiving donations of images from wildlife film-makers, photographers, conservationists and scientists.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleKush_Zombie
smug piece of shit
 User Gallery

Re: Endangered magnolia species identified [Re: Mostly_Harmless]
    #23028547 - 03/21/16 12:34 AM (8 years, 9 days ago)

It's beautiful. I wonder what it can be used for.

--------------------
How to get started in bulk:
Presto 23-Quart Pressure Cooker
BOD's Simple as FUCK Still Air Box
PastyWhyte's Easy Agar Tek
Munchauzen's Cultivation Video Series
How EvilMushroom666 Prepares His Grains (I use jars with Synthetic Filter Discs)
What is G2G? (Grain-to-Grain)
Damion5050's Coir Tek (I use 5.5 - 6 quarts of water instead of 4. Also ignore step 13 and ignore the monotub completely. The only purpose of this tek is to show you how to make a simple substrate. I also add gypsum to it but not necessary)
Spitball's Monotub Tek (A liner isn't necessary but is useful)
Use 6500k lights throughout the whole process. When you wake up, turn the light on. When you go to sleep turn the light off. It's as simple as that.

InvisibleMostly_HarmlessM
wyrd bið ful aræd
Male User Gallery

Loc: Perfidious Albion Flag
Re: Endangered magnolia species identified [Re: Kush_Zombie]
    #23028564 - 03/21/16 12:42 AM (8 years, 9 days ago)

There are some interesting compounds found in some magnolia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4-O-Methylhonokiol

Quote:

It was shown that 4-O-methylhonokiol activates CB2 receptors and also inhibits the oxygenation of the major endocannabinoid 2-AG via COX-2 in a substrate-selective manner, thus leading to potential synergistic effects at CB receptors.

--------------------
●  EG Rules and Guidelines ● 

|| Lophophora Growers Unite! || Trichocereus Growers Unite! || Stone Eaters - A Soil Revolution ||

You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Invisibleferrel_human
stone eater
Male User Gallery

Loc: Darkside of the moon Flag
Re: Endangered magnolia species identified [Re: Mostly_Harmless]
    #23029606 - 03/21/16 11:25 AM (8 years, 9 days ago)

Do those flowers have a smell? Cause the people at the flee markets around here sell them and too much. A couple of bucks if I remember correctly. I wouldn't be surprised if theywe're selling some unknown species either. Most are uneducated just getting by in life. I bought one with flowers similar to that first one but it died after a couple of blooms. Don't even remember if they had a smell or not. I should go and peruse their plants this coming few days.

Thanks MH for the interesting read. :super:

--------------------
Nature is my church and walking through it is gospel. It tells no lies and reveals all to those who look, and listen, closely.
-Karode

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Bulk Substrate