Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineDeiymiyan
I AM

Loc: Within the Realm of Imagi...
What if..
    #2302364 - 02/04/04 07:26 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Suppose that it was PAYDAY..

You get your cheque, and  :eek:  there was an error on the cheque!

The error, though, was in your favour: you just got paid twice as much as you expected.

What would you do?

Take it? Or notify someone of the error?

--------------------

Dei Gratia de integro,

Veni Vidi Vici:

In Nomine Domini..

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
Re: What if.. [Re: Deiymiyan]
    #2302391 - 02/04/04 07:34 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

sweet and I got paid today too!

if I got twice the amount of my check, I would give it back and tell them to void that one and write me a new one. I get paid enough anyways, I don't need more money. I mad the agreement to what I get paid daily and I'l stick with it. besides I deliver newspapers, it's a mom and pops organization, and I constantly see how the actual newspaper company tries to screw them over. if I did that, I don't htink they'd have enough money in their account, and so while I may get my money, another person won't, and I'm not looking for that.

money is just the means for me to surivive in this sytem, it's not THAT important. besides, I really like my two bosses and they really like me, that's all the "extra" i need out of them

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

Invisiblepsyka
Praetorian
 User Gallery

#2302399 - 02/04/04 07:35 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I would wait 1 or 2 day(s) and see if anything about it came up. After that/those day(s) I would cash it and accept it as the grace of good karma.

--------------------
As the life of a candle,
my wick will burn out.
But, the fire of my mind
shall beam into infinite.

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
    #2302406 - 02/04/04 07:37 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I work for a corporation, so.... :grin:

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #2302429 - 02/04/04 07:41 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

My real-world name is so common it sounds like an alias. :grin:  I once got a $900 check from my medical insurance company though I had never put a claim in. Naturally, I returned it and explained the error.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

OfflineDeiymiyan
I AM

#2302454 - 02/04/04 07:49 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

So far it looks like a 50:50 split. [I hope I'm making  the right assumption, Trendal]

For those of you who'd speak up, I'd say it was a noble move.

For those of you who'd take it, perhaps Karma was smiling upon you.

What would be your reaction though, if suddenly, next PAYPERIOD, you were notified that they made an error, and deducted the amount from your next pay?  :eek:

It sounds fair, but is the error really your problem?  Shouldn't the one who made the error be held accountable?

Or were the Karmic forces simply playing a galactic joke on you? :crying:

--------------------

Dei Gratia de integro,

Veni Vidi Vici:

In Nomine Domini..

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
    #2302497 - 02/04/04 08:02 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

If I was notified that they found the error and then docked the pay, I would accept it as the karma I am due.

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #2302512 - 02/04/04 08:07 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

"It sounds fair, but is the error really your problem? Shouldn't the one who made the error be held accountable?"

see that's the thing i don't understand about Karma. if you know you took something that WASN'T yours, then how is that karma smiling on you then? won't you be hurting someone else if you took that money?

now as far as labeling something as your problem, yeah it is partly you. if you just took it without even a thought, then in my opinion you helped the problem to grow. if you jsut nick it in the butt right then and there then there wouldn't be a "problem" in the first place.

the paycheck thing was just plain human error with no intent. you taking hte money has intent that you are getting over on someone. so how can you say that it's karma smiling on you?

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
    #2302583 - 02/04/04 08:27 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

That money belongs to someone else, karma or no karma. But, since I believe in karma, it's bad karma to keep the money. I would return the money.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

OfflineSole_Worthy
Stranger

Loc: over here
    #2302607 - 02/04/04 08:35 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

A couple of year ago I had ?150 paid into my account once a month for 3 months. It was only the 3rd time that I noticed this too be a mistake, so I asked the cashier where the money was comming from, she soon told me that it was caused by a computer error.  I was left overdrawn by ?117 after the bank took it back off me :frown:

I wanted a few more weeks of being a bum too!

It was time to find a job :frown:

--------------------
get it all together get like birds of a feather

Invisiblelukeboots
fresh futuristic
Male User Gallery
Loc: Grand Ole Operating Syste...
Re: What if.. [Re: Sole_Worthy]
    #2302664 - 02/04/04 08:51 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

i actually currently have a situation like this.

my mom, throughout my whole life, had recieved social security checks of a couple hundred dollars a month to support me. recently i turned 18, and graduated high school at mid-term. since i am now a legal adult and no longer a full-time student, the checks were supposed to stop. however..since i AM 18, the checks now come directly to me. i have so far recieved two checks for over $300 a pop, and the government has said nothing to me about an error. the checks got to me a few months ago.

so far, i've simply cashed them and put them in my savings account, since i've heard stories of the government asking for their money back up to 6 months after the check was issued. ...now, since the legal system tends to confuse me, i'm not positive they made a mistake, and obviously, if they did, they havent caught it either. what do i do?

--------------------

funky ass music: Planet of Dinosaurs // Rich Whiskey

OfflineDeiymiyan
I AM

#2303001 - 02/04/04 10:45 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Thanx for the input everyone!  :thumbup:

Those were some great points of view!

I noticed complacency of Karma in some responses.  Generally speaking, I would tend to agree.  Especially if you were getting regular cheques and then had one double the amount.  In that sense a 'red flag' would go off and you'd feel compelled to give the money back..  However, I'm not so convinced that returning the money would be the result of a Karmic ineteraction, but  rather, to avoid 'trouble'.

OK..

Let's wash the hands of possible guilt. 

Suppose that you were an honest person [ I'm implying that you feel that you have no real 'heavy duty' Karmic debt from this lifetime ],  and say that the cheque you got was the very first one.  To make it even more interesting, let's assume that you work in rather chaotic conditions.

You get your cheque, and it exceeded your expectations.  You graciously take it feeling like it was in fact a Karmic interaction...  in the sence of what goes around comes around [ Karmic concept ].  You had no idea that it was an error. You worked real hard and felt it was like a bonus of some sort to keep you motivated.

You therefore told noone.

You then, as a result, put out more effort in the workplace.

That would fall into the realm of Karma as well... 

You are now motivated.

The next payperiod closes in, and you get notified that the error has occured and that you are to get docked the surpluss on your next pay. You try to get an explanation, and relate that you assumed it was a 'motivation bonus'..  The response is ridicule.

Relative to the individual,  has the Karma concept failed them? Or was it a disillusionned view by the individual? 

Should a new belief system be considered?

Could it be Karma was setting you up for a huge 'win' for the future? [Like putting funds in the bank]

If the individual was not deserving of this 'karmic joke',  how is it possible that they were left with such a sour taste in the mouth from this event?

Is the answer as simple as: it was human error?

If yes, then, can the errors of others affect your Karma negatively?

If so..  Then, I think, you are not living your own Karma.

Could it be you are still paying off the debt from a past life?

If not, and you still get wronged by 'the forces that may be', even though you are not deserving of it, then the honest life you lead did little for you.  How you lived your life still lead to this negative karmic event.

Could that mean Karma dosen't exist?

If so..  It really dosen't matter..

Just take the money and run! :shiftyeyes:

If no one catches the mistake, it's OK, right?

--------------------

Dei Gratia de integro,

Veni Vidi Vici:

In Nomine Domini..

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds