Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineGanja jay
Product of mother nature
Female

Loc: Wild west
Is this overlay
    #23019224 - 03/18/16 02:11 AM (8 years, 12 days ago)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePussyFart
Retired Cultivation Extrodinaire
Male

Loc: Orbiting Earth
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Is this overlay [Re: Ganja jay]
    #23019350 - 03/18/16 03:35 AM (8 years, 12 days ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Overlay is bullshit and most of it relates to a picture of a normal casing layer in TMC that is incorrectly labeled as overlay.

A few months ago, I 'jokingly' said I'd ban the next person who asked an overlay question and it worked . . .until now. :lol:

What happens is one person asks about overlay, and for the next six months, every new grower thinks he has overlay.

I can guarantee you don't have it, since I've only seen it a handful of times, and I've been known to have grown a few projects in my day.  Full colonization of the casing layer is not overlay.  Give lots of fresh air and light, while misting a few times daily and you'll fruit soon.
RR

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/9467709#9467709

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
I've seen overlay two or three times in 40 years, so I doubt seriously you are seeing it, especially on an uncased bulk substrate.  It's common for new growers to mistake full colonization for overlay.
RR

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/17163830#17163830

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
By definition, a bulk substrate can't get 'overlay'.

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/15803177#15803177

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen overlay in 40 years.
RR

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/13797279#13797279

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Uncased bulk substrates should be left alone and covered until 100% colonized.  Overlay is a vastly misunderstood phenomena which only affects species such as agaricus(button mushrooms) which require a casing layer.

Whatever you do don't deep scratch.  That's a failed method which was disproved 30 years ago.
RR

OfflinepsilocybeMAN
It gets so real sometimes.
Male User Gallery

Loc: California Flag
Re: Is this overlay [Re: PussyFart]
    #23019362 - 03/18/16 03:50 AM (8 years, 12 days ago)

:whathesaid::grin:

OfflineGanja jay
Product of mother nature
Female

#23019392 - 03/18/16 04:26 AM (8 years, 12 days ago)

I ask because ever one say for new growers, and I've been at it for almost four years I've never seen this . It colonized in about 4 days but I keep it under covers for my 10 days its just pissing everywhere and I don't see any pins

OfflineGanja jay
Product of mother nature
Female

#23019395 - 03/18/16 04:27 AM (8 years, 12 days ago)

What is wrong with it?

OfflinePussyFart
Retired Cultivation Extrodinaire
Male

Loc: Orbiting Earth
Trusted Cultivator
    #23019432 - 03/18/16 05:30 AM (8 years, 12 days ago)

Quote:

Ganja jay said:
its just pissing everywhere

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Mycelium does not urinate, does not have a bladder, and there is no such thing as myc piss.  Why this horrible disinformation persists after we've known for over 50 years that these liquids are antibiotic and released in response to bacteria is beyond comprehension.
Next time you get sick, ask the doctor for a myc piss shot instead of antibiotics and see him look at you like you just bumped your head or fell off a turnip truck.
If your grains are infected, there will be metabolites.  If you've colonized at above normal room temperature, bacteria has been stimulated and thus the metabolites.
RR

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
It's not even a waste product, and people who call it piss are ignorant.  The liquid is excreted to help break down the substrate, and in a different formulation is produced to fight contaminant molds and bacteria.  These are the products antibiotics are made of.

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Mycelium does not urinate, not is it infused with bacteria.  Metabolites are anti-bacterial in fact.  Mix it with water and use it on your plants.  It's an excellent fertilizer.
RR

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
The mycelium secretes enzymes to help break down the substrate for digestion and also to help ward off competitors.  If you're using excessive temperature or have excessive contaminants, you'll have more of these secretions, which have nothing to do with urination.
RR

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
These enzymes can be many colors, including red.
RR

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
These enzymes are secreted to help break down substrate materials and also to help ward off competing organisms.
RR

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Also remember the pH will naturally swing towards acidic as the mycelium secretes enzymes to break down the substrate.  Use gypsum to help prevent it from going too low.
RR

Offlinemushpunx
Fungus Punk
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Is this overlay [Re: PussyFart]
    #23019441 - 03/18/16 05:37 AM (8 years, 12 days ago)

Heh.

Its probably bacterial.

--------------------

Amateur Mycologists United
AMU Q&A

InvisibleZiran
The Hero of Time
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Temple of Time
Re: Is this overlay [Re: mushpunx]
    #23019536 - 03/18/16 07:03 AM (8 years, 12 days ago)

:whathesaid:

Op looks like you came to the right place to learn if you are willing to accept some knowledge. Everyone is willing to help. Just press the delete button on everything you currently know about mushrooms and take an information dump from pussyfart's sig or my sig.

--------------------
Song Of Healing
:super: Updated Pf Tek Guide :super:
Ziran's Teks
AMU Q&A Thread
The Chinese word for nature is zìrán and it means that of which is of itself.

OfflineGanja jay
Product of mother nature
Female

Re: Is this overlay [Re: Ziran]
    #23021384 - 03/18/16 07:16 PM (8 years, 11 days ago)

Yeah I'm totally digging the information and help I'm always open to learn more. And I understand it's not really Piss but I've always seen it as a byproduct of the mushroom. Its a excretion. I know mushie don't have bladders and what not .the thing is out of the tons of boxes I've birthed , well first this is a new variety For me and that's why I was like wth is up here . I've only really done golden t, John a, Cambodian, b+ pbs and this box is a Honduras which probably makes no dif and I'm working with ms . (I'm definitely gonna take it to the next level and hit up some agar cause it's about that time and I'm very comfortable... careful but comfortable) but that's another discussion. Lol but I appreciate you guys . Imma check in on your iso link and I did enjoy "how it shouldn't look " tread...
I've done a few pf but ... it's not for me .. I don't like growing small at all ... I understand it's more work and more possible contamination but I'm always up for the challenge lol .

And how do you suggest gathering up the metabolic stuff and mixing it with water for my plants ?

Lol I'm sorry but I'm definitely not down to press delete on all the info I've collected and had to experience the last few years like yeah I definitely need some spell check and maybe a few word changes Lol but I'll take it up and it in .
And I'm not trying to be all like i know everything . Of course not and I would hope someone would pistol whip me if I ever. Said some shit like that haha but I'm definitely not a noob and I have questions still obviously
I just hate that word lol
I was just tripping cause I've never heard of overlay and I was like nooooo..
But I still don't really have a solid definition if overlay.  All the treads here post pics but it's like 29%colonized.
And idfw nothing else but shroomery cause everyone else is fucking stupid lol so I don't even bother searching other places
I understand it's not common but if I do come across it I'd want some idea
Lol the only thing is everyone on this site is pretty aggressive and I hope u guys don't hate me already haha

InvisiblePastywhyteMDiscord
Say hello to my little friend
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #23021394 - 03/18/16 07:18 PM (8 years, 11 days ago)

It's not a byproduct of anything. It's how the organism breaks down its food and fights off competition.

Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Is this overlay [Re: Pastywhyte]
    #23021406 - 03/18/16 07:23 PM (8 years, 11 days ago)

Overlay is a state where the myc colonizes over the pinning platform and the pinset forms underneath. This means the pins either have to burst up through it or abort. Usually they abort. Overlay is species dependant and cubes is not a species that develops it.

Overlay with pan cyan, the casing is about a half inch under the mat.

You can see the pins forming under the overlay in a few open spots. It's something you will never see with cubes.

OfflineGanja jay
Product of mother nature
Female

#23021438 - 03/18/16 07:36 PM (8 years, 11 days ago)

Why not . The enzymes would be doing the breaking down reactions and the byproduct would be the stuff it excreted... do I have the wrong definition of the words?

OfflineGanja jay
Product of mother nature
Female

#23021440 - 03/18/16 07:37 PM (8 years, 11 days ago)

Quote:

Pastywhyte said:
Overlay is a state where the myc colonizes over the pinning platform and the pinset forms underneath. This means the pins either have to burst up through it or abort. Usually they abort. Overlay is species dependant and cubes is not a species that develops it.

Overlay with pan cyan, the casing is about a half inch under the mat.

You can see the pins forming under the overlay in a few open spots. It's something you will never see with cubes.

Whooo ok.that shit looks insane.

OfflineGanja jay
Product of mother nature
Female

#23021444 - 03/18/16 07:39 PM (8 years, 11 days ago)

Would you just dump it .. I'd think a fork would cause more damage than good .. or maybe  just extract from the whole cake

OfflineGanja jay
Product of mother nature
Female

#23021459 - 03/18/16 07:46 PM (8 years, 11 days ago)

I wanna try something other than a cube

InvisibleZiran
The Hero of Time
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Temple of Time
    #23021481 - 03/18/16 07:56 PM (8 years, 11 days ago)

cubes are the easiest to start with. i'd start with that for sure.

--------------------
Song Of Healing
:super: Updated Pf Tek Guide :super:
Ziran's Teks
AMU Q&A Thread
The Chinese word for nature is zìrán and it means that of which is of itself.

OfflineGanja jay
Product of mother nature
Female

Re: Is this overlay [Re: Ziran]
    #23021528 - 03/18/16 08:19 PM (8 years, 11 days ago)

I been on cubes for years lol I been wanting to go in another direction.. but not until I get some experience with isolates ... then after I really want to try pan cyans .

Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #23021531 - 03/18/16 08:20 PM (8 years, 11 days ago)

Quote:

Ganja jay said:
Why not . The enzymes would be doing the breaking down reactions and the byproduct would be the stuff it excreted... do I have the wrong definition of the words?

Metabolites can be products of enzymatic interactions but they are certainly not a waste product in the sense urine is. Calling it a byproduct is inaccurate in this case as that would imply that it is produced secondary to the primary interaction. While this is true of many life forms, for fungi this is how they actually consume food. Most fungal metabolites are also not primary metabolites, they are secondary. They perform many functions for the organism, many of which are not fully understood. While some of the secretions may be byproducts of another interaction, most are not.

Fungal "waste" in the sense of what happens to the food and water it consumes is CO2. So if you want to call anything myc piss then call CO2 myc piss. It's more accurate though you will sound like an idiot.

Your tub is not overlaid. Leave it alone and it will produce pins.

Edited by Pastywhyte (03/18/16 08:25 PM)

OfflineGanja jay
Product of mother nature
Female

#23022031 - 03/19/16 12:00 AM (8 years, 11 days ago)

Ok fasho I understand.. I just been fanning the hell out of it . Its so so humid ....

OfflinecronicrFacebook
 User Gallery

Loc: Van Isle Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #23022121 - 03/19/16 12:49 AM (8 years, 11 days ago)

bacteria is not much of a threat to a bulk sub, you should be fine.

--------------------

It doesn't matter what i think of you...all that matters is clean spawn

I'm tired do me a favor

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate