Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlineakira_akuma
Φύσις κρύπτεσθαι ὕψιστος φιλεῖ

Loc: Onypeirophóros
Re: Why did England's standard of living drop so much? [Re: Repertoire89]
    #23018099 - 03/17/16 08:33 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Repertoire89 said:
Quote:

Jokeshopbeard said:
I read 'Burmese Days' by Orwell (love Orwell) which documents what it was like pretty well IMO. I can't talk for other countries we ruled, but Indians certainly are pretty docile and easily intimidated. I spent a month out there once, saw a couple of fights, which basically involved waving things like chairs and sticks menacingly at each other. Little to no contact.

Now imagine some hard British lad smacking someone like that right in the nose. I'm sure they backed down and cowered pretty quick, and that's before there's even a gun involved.

Just take a look at a town centre on a Fri/Sat night. Lads in punchups all over. We like a good scrap here.

:doublefacepalm:

There were wars and wars over India for hundreds of years.
Up until the day the English finally left, and then on some with Pakistan.

You're generalizing a group of people who over the course of that time frame, would add into the billions across hundreds of cultures. One end of India to another, is like one end of Europe to another.

but India is old, no one cares. new world all the way...................................(no, i didn't think about that commentary at all, i just said it, like some many people will say things).

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleJokeshopbeard
Humble Student

Loc: Deep in the system Flag
    #23018191 - 03/17/16 08:55 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Repertoire89 said:
You're generalizing a group of people who over the course of that time frame,

Of course I'm generalising, how else does one try and describe the mild cultural differences of 1.5 billion people to our own western cultural ways?

I'll tell you one thing though; I'd be weary of backpacking in South America - but I would never be worried backpacking in India. They just ain't culturally aggressive at all. Well, only in a 'I know you ain't gonna follow through' kinda way. I would not be thinking that in Brazil with a gun in my face.

--------------------
Let it be seen that you are nothing. And in knowing that you are nothing... there is nothing to lose, there is nothing to gain. What can happen to you? Something can happen to the body, but it will either heal or it won't. What's the big deal? Let life knock you to bits. Let life take you apart. Let life destroy you. It will only destroy what you are not.
--Jac O'keeffe

InvisibleRepertoire89
Cat
Male

Re: Why did England's standard of living drop so much? [Re: Jokeshopbeard]
    #23018228 - 03/17/16 09:05 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

People get murdered in India man.

I hear its relatively safe to backpack around either place though, health risks aside.
Some say safer than doing the same in the US. Not that I know, but I would like to do so.

InvisibleJokeshopbeard
Humble Student

#23018239 - 03/17/16 09:08 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

People get murdered everywhere man. The probability of it happening just changes from place to place.

How many times more likely would you be to get robbed/beat up/killed in the middle of the some gang fuelled estate compared to talking a walk through a shopping mall?

--------------------
Let it be seen that you are nothing. And in knowing that you are nothing... there is nothing to lose, there is nothing to gain. What can happen to you? Something can happen to the body, but it will either heal or it won't. What's the big deal? Let life knock you to bits. Let life take you apart. Let life destroy you. It will only destroy what you are not.
--Jac O'keeffe

InvisibleRepertoire89
Cat
Male

#23018262 - 03/17/16 09:13 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

India is apparently about equal with the US

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

Quite a few S.American countries doing significantly worse but I expected that.

OfflineCrystal G
I'm a teapot

Loc: outer space
    #23018650 - 03/17/16 10:30 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Repertoire89 said:

I hear its relatively safe to backpack around either place though, health risks aside.
Some say safer than doing the same in the US. Not that I know, but I would like to do so.

In Brazil? Brazil is extremely dangerous; tourists even get kidnapped and held for ransom just outside the hotels.

InvisibleJokeshopbeard
Humble Student

Re: Why did England's standard of living drop so much? [Re: Crystal G]
    #23018682 - 03/17/16 10:35 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Crystal G said:
Quote:

Repertoire89 said:

In Brazil? Brazil is extremely dangerous; tourists even get kidnapped and held for ransom just outside the hotels.

Exactly. You'll end up on the side of the road in your underwear if your lucky once a gang gets it's eyes on you.

Whereas in India I'd happily stand up to a group of 3-4 and be pretty confident I could hold my own. Smash one square and watch the rest back off.

Brazil is full of guns, India is not. You don't smack a guy in the face if he's holding a gun.

--------------------
--Jac O'keeffe

InvisibleRepertoire89
Cat
Male

#23018714 - 03/17/16 10:43 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah, definitely want to avoid certain places: Brazil, El Salvador, ?

Really want to try Colombia, I've heard mixed reviews about backpacking there.
Corrupt cops are another problem.

OfflineAll We Perceive
Sea Cucumber
Male

#23018719 - 03/17/16 10:43 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

At the start of ww2, the germans were reeling from reparations imposed due to ww1 which were crippling them.  The germans have topped britain again because they are just more industrious.  Made in germany means it fucking works and will work for a long time.  Britain has truthfully been in decline since the american revolution.

--------------------

"plus they atually think jambands are good or sumthing, so they clearly know absolutely nothing about music, clearly lol" -Bassfreak

InvisibleJokeshopbeard
Humble Student

#23018725 - 03/17/16 10:46 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Repertoire89 said:
Corrupt cops are another problem.

They're really not. The amount they want in bribes in those countries is like pittance to us. £15 (which is loads to them) got a group of us out of what could have potentially been a 10 year jail sentence last time I had to deal with third world corrupt cops. They're often not that smart. You just gotta play em right.

--------------------
--Jac O'keeffe

Offlinemy3rdeye
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: Why did England's standard of living drop so much? [Re: Crystal G]
    #23018733 - 03/17/16 10:48 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

How poor is it really? I have been there it wasn't like Oliver Twist poor houses and shit, it's a comparable standard of living. It's expensive to live there. Food/rent is expensive that's probably related to lack of space than anything else. The city I live in canada is surrounded by 500 miles of farmland. Housing and food are going to be more costly in UK. You don't have the room to build endless suburbs, you can't tear down a lot of historic buildings either. You have to import a lot of shit. It's not really a good set up for heavy industrial manufacturing.
Blame immigrants all you want, if you sent them all home tomorrow and the cost of living would go up even more. I have 100 000 immigrants in my city and they flip the burgers and do the shit jobs, we wouldn't function without them. Scapegoating immigrants for a bad economy is lame.

Offlinetwighead
mͯó
I'm a teapot

Loc: Glenn Gould's Fuck Windmill Flag
Re: Why did England's standard of living drop so much? [Re: All We Perceive]
    #23018746 - 03/17/16 10:53 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

All We Perceive said:
At the start of ww2, the germans were reeling from reparations imposed due to ww1 which were crippling them.  The germans have topped britain again because they are just more industrious.  Made in germany means it fucking works and will work for a long time.  Britain has truthfully been in decline since the american revolution.

That's not exactly so though, we may view it that way from America since it was quite a loss for them. But after that point Britain refocused on Africa and SE Asia and made huge gains in those regions, their tightening hold on India profited them much more than America ever could.

But ultimately, what really made the 1800s and early 1900s the zenith of their empire was the Industrial Revolution, which first gained steam (no pun intended :wink:) in Britain herself.

--------------------
¿Check out some art m8?

InvisibleJokeshopbeard
Humble Student

Re: Why did England's standard of living drop so much? [Re: All We Perceive]
    #23018796 - 03/17/16 11:15 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

All We Perceive said:

I've known a few Germans in my time. There's a shared kinda extreme efficiency I've found. Generalising again, but I've also been to Germany and it's quite apparent there. Even their language is this way. Very blunt, quite unlike the floweriness of the English language.

--------------------
--Jac O'keeffe

Offlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

Loc: Maryland/DC Burbs
Re: Why did England's standard of living drop so much? [Re: my3rdeye]
    #23019079 - 03/18/16 12:51 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

my3rdeye said:
How poor is it really? I have been there it wasn't like Oliver Twist poor houses and shit, it's a comparable standard of living. It's expensive to live there. Food/rent is expensive that's probably related to lack of space than anything else. The city I live in canada is surrounded by 500 miles of farmland. Housing and food are going to be more costly in UK. You don't have the room to build endless suburbs, you can't tear down a lot of historic buildings either. You have to import a lot of shit. It's not really a good set up for heavy industrial manufacturing.
Blame immigrants all you want, if you sent them all home tomorrow and the cost of living would go up even more. I have 100 000 immigrants in my city and they flip the burgers and do the shit jobs, we wouldn't function without them. Scapegoating immigrants for a bad economy is lame.

It's not poor. The standard of living in Britain is essentially the same as the US.

--------------------
NotSheekle said
“if I believed she was 16 I would become unattracted to her”

InvisibleLoyola10
Stranger

Re: Why did England's standard of living drop so much? [Re: koods]
    #23019579 - 03/18/16 07:24 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

Re: Why did England's standard of living drop so much? [Re: Loyola10]
    #23019586 - 03/18/16 07:28 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Loyola10 said:
Why did England's standard of living drop so much?

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
higher knowledge starts here

InvisibleLoyola10
Stranger

Re: Why did England's standard of living drop so much? [Re: Asante]
    #23019654 - 03/18/16 08:07 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Rule Britannia

OfflinePatlal
You ask too many questions
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ottawa Flag
    #23019667 - 03/18/16 08:14 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

The British standard on living did not fall.

It's the rest of the world who caught up to them

--------------------

Offline5150
phantom
 User Gallery
    #23020950 - 03/18/16 04:24 PM (8 years, 30 days ago)

India is a bad place for female traverlers,lotsa rapes
They don't think of woman as equal humans
Multi culturism has created a shit storm in all the nice countries in the past 20 years

--------------------
"the way of the warrior is the resolute acceptance of death"

Miyamoto Musashi

InvisibleJokeshopbeard
Humble Student

Re: Why did England's standard of living drop so much? [Re: 5150]
    #23021628 - 03/18/16 09:01 PM (8 years, 30 days ago)

Quote:

5150 said:
India is a bad place for female traverlers,lotsa rapes
They don't think of woman as equal humans

I think you got the second part there wrong man. They have the caste system over there, and if you're a female from a high caste you're way above a lower caste male. Pale skin is often indicative of the higher caste.

The stats I just read kinda prove my point about the cultural tendency towards violence (or lack of). There's a bunch of cases of female tourists being raped, but when it comes to male tourists, there's next to no violent crimes recorded. There's a few 'scams' but they're often aimed at younger toursists.

Males are nearly always stronger than females, regardless of race, so the rapes are relitavely risk free for those committing them.

But an Indian male trying to rob a Western male by force would be a very risky encounter for the Indian male. Hence there are no examples of this kind of robbery recorded that I can find.

I'm sure there's exceptions to every rule, but generally the strong prey on the weak. Indian males just don't seem to have the inherent aggressiveness required to pull off a move like an upfront robbery or beating of a Westerner.

--------------------
--Jac O'keeffe

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale