Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleJokeshopbeard
Humble Student

Loc: Deep in the system Flag
Re: Why did England's standard of living drop so much? [Re: zappaisgod]
    #23017656 - 03/17/16 06:54 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

I didn't know it was a quote!! Wow, I was just musing. But it's right, the world over we're a lot more similar than we are dissimilar IMO.

--------------------
Let it be seen that you are nothing. And in knowing that you are nothing... there is nothing to lose, there is nothing to gain. What can happen to you? Something can happen to the body, but it will either heal or it won't. What's the big deal? Let life knock you to bits. Let life take you apart. Let life destroy you. It will only destroy what you are not.
--Jac O'keeffe

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineVisionary Tools
Male User Gallery

Re: Why did England's standard of living drop so much? [Re: specialpeopleclub]
    #23017676 - 03/17/16 06:58 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

We were sold the idea of joining a european economic community, we just had to give up car manufacturing (oh sure, the rover factory is still churning out rover designed BMW's with a mini badge on them), manufacturing in general (I do work for an audio company making and restoring turntables as well as record cleaner machines, but it's run out of a converted pigsty. A far cry from the heyday when thousands went to work in the Swindon factory), steel and fishing.

Common agricultural policy has fucked with flood management, with this bollocks of "returning to nature/conservation" when water courses have always been managed by humans because, funnily enough, humans have always settled near water. It also means to get field subsidies, you must devote 100% of that field to the crop, if say, 5% of it is a hedgerow, or trees, then whilst you do still get a subsidy, it's no way near as much, it's not proportional. Farmers rip up trees, without trees there's no roots in the soil, water overflows on the land, and floods.

It's soviet union but this time gone west. Ukraine got proper fucked over by Russia and millions starved because of "logistical mismanagement." i.e: Russia stole their food and didn't give any of it back.

There will be a vote to see if the UK stays in the EU, so in effect UKIP has won without getting in power, which is a good thing, because they're made up of tories too right wing for the tory party (whatever that means, all seem to be pricks who just don't like how Europe cuts into their profits, I don't for a second believe they have the best interest of the English people at heart). All the votes will go into a shredder and they'll say it's really close run but it looks like 65% of us voted to stay in when if democracy changed anything they'd ban it.

Or do what they did in Ireland with the Lisbon treaty. Eire voted no, EU said "fuck you, wrong answer" and had to vote again! This time the Irish people were correct and had a change of heart, so the vote of yes was not contested by the EU.

Even if we did leave the EU, it'd basically buttfuck us like it does to Switzerland or Norway.

But getting back to it, England was de-industrialised, and the standard of living reduced so if you have a family, you need child support to survive unless you're one of the very rich and the number of very rich is shrinking every day. Now they're gutting welfare, suicide rates are through the roof. It's pretty much war right now. A war that could be won by people just saying no and not complying with the self imposed tyranny, but the enforcers (police) might as well be puppets in body if not in spirit already. Numerous child rape and murder scandals with the aristocracy seem to come to a dead end, so there's no salvation there.

My hope is that people will tell their lords to fuck off, like they did after the black death. That's what ended feudalism, which is what some say we are heading into, if not already there, just, this time you don't know who your masters are, and it's far more than a tenth of your harvest is tithed.

--------------------

Onlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

Loc: Maryland/DC Burbs
Re: Why did England's standard of living drop so much? [Re: akira_akuma]
    #23017681 - 03/17/16 06:59 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

The entire premise of this thread is false. The GDP of the U.K. has risen steadily in the post war period. It's not that the UK has fared poorly in that period, which is completely false, it is that other European counties have caught up to the UK.

The period of fastest GDP growth was the early 70s.

Clearly the post recession GDP growth isn't very robust compared to Canada and the US, mainly because the UK chose austerity as opposed to stimulus.

--------------------
NotSheekle said
“if I believed she was 16 I would become unattracted to her”

Edited by koods (03/17/16 07:01 PM)

InvisibleRepertoire89
Cat
Male

Re: Why did England's standard of living drop so much? [Re: zappaisgod]
    #23017688 - 03/17/16 07:01 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
Generations of the dole.

Yeah, forget to mention that part.

Offlineqman
Stranger

Re: Why did England's standard of living drop so much? [Re: koods]
    #23017699 - 03/17/16 07:04 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

GDP is not directly correlated to the middle class standard of living.

Offlinetwighead
mͯó
I'm a teapot

Loc: Glenn Gould's Fuck Windmill Flag
Re: Why did England's standard of living drop so much? [Re: qman]
    #23017731 - 03/17/16 07:10 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Isn't it really obvious why the decline in British power occurred? I don't think anyone in the thread has gotten it right yet.

The British empire fell, Duh. :lol:

Now it's back to an island with scarce resources, instead of lording over a billion people.

--------------------
¿Check out some art m8?

InvisibleJokeshopbeard
Humble Student

Re: Why did England's standard of living drop so much? [Re: twighead]
    #23017767 - 03/17/16 07:19 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

I had a great conversation with a friend one night pondering the kind of person that went out there on behalf of the British empire and basically kicked the shit out of everyone.

We figured there must have been some real scrappers on the frontlines, but thinking about it now, it must've been the aristocracy calling the shots..

It was quite something. Cunty as fuck mind you.

--------------------
Let it be seen that you are nothing. And in knowing that you are nothing... there is nothing to lose, there is nothing to gain. What can happen to you? Something can happen to the body, but it will either heal or it won't. What's the big deal? Let life knock you to bits. Let life take you apart. Let life destroy you. It will only destroy what you are not.
--Jac O'keeffe

Offlinespecialpeopleclub
Male User Gallery

Loc: Mitten
Re: Why did England's standard of living drop so much? [Re: Jokeshopbeard]
    #23017778 - 03/17/16 07:21 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

The BE gets more then it deserves in hate and guilt. You really that no they were worse then everyone else out there? No way, they just won
People need to get over being guilty about that

--------------------

Edited by specialpeopleclub (03/17/16 07:22 PM)

Offlineqman
Stranger

#23017791 - 03/17/16 07:25 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

specialpeopleclub said:
The BE gets more then it deserves in hate and guilt. You really that no they were worse then everyone else out there? No way, they just won

"they just won"

It's politically correct to hate the winners in history.

Offlinetwighead
mͯó
I'm a teapot

#23017799 - 03/17/16 07:27 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

I imagine that a combination of fairly dismal conditions for the average Brit back home, combined with boredom, glorification of imperialism, nationalism and promise of profits led to quite a diverse cast of characters out there. I also imagine that British operating in the subjugation of somewhere like India may have had a much different outlook on what they were doing versus those who were engaged against practically their cousins in the American Revolution. Travel the world, meet strange people, dominate and take their treasure... I'm sure it seemed quite lucrative to many :awesome:

--------------------
¿Check out some art m8?

Offlinespecialpeopleclub
Male User Gallery

#23017805 - 03/17/16 07:30 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

I think it's sad they stopped and gave up.
The English world is pretty much the best part

We hate the Nazis, they didn't win
Poor subjugated Nazis

--------------------

InvisibleLynnch
Strangerer
 User Gallery

#23017812 - 03/17/16 07:32 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

twighead said:
The British empire fell, Duh. :lol:

Now it's back to an island with scarce resources, instead of lording over a billion people.

:lol: Lol, Right? Duh.

It's scary to me how many people jump on the band wagon of blaming immigrants and other disadvantaged people, while completely ignoring that it's not those people in control of the economy. You're being misled. The rich have the power, and they have the money.

I randomly came across the Pitcairn Islands while playing on Google Earth. The middle of the middle of nowhere. Them brits got around, kinda cool really.

Offlinespecialpeopleclub
Male User Gallery

Re: Why did England's standard of living drop so much? [Re: Lynnch]
    #23017828 - 03/17/16 07:34 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

The empire hasn't been around in a long time. The Immigrants are defenately an issue. Millions of unwashed doesn't do an economy good if they don't take pride like our immigrants did. Not anymore though. Now Americans are not so patriotic.

--------------------

InvisibleJokeshopbeard
Humble Student

#23017838 - 03/17/16 07:37 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

I read 'Burmese Days' by Orwell (love Orwell) which documents what it was like pretty well IMO. I can't talk for other countries we ruled, but Indians certainly are pretty docile and easily intimidated. I spent a month out there once, saw a couple of fights, which basically involved waving things like chairs and sticks menacingly at each other. Little to no contact.

Now imagine some hard British lad smacking someone like that right in the nose. I'm sure they backed down and cowered pretty quick, and that's before there's even a gun involved.

Just take a look at a town centre on a Fri/Sat night. Lads in punchups all over. We like a good scrap here.

--------------------
--Jac O'keeffe

InvisibleWheat farmer
Female

Loc: The field Flag
Re: Why did England's standard of living drop so much? [Re: Loyola10]
    #23017840 - 03/17/16 07:37 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Cause England and Britain are euro trash now.

Offlinetwighead
mͯó
I'm a teapot

Re: Why did England's standard of living drop so much? [Re: Lynnch] * 1
    #23017858 - 03/17/16 07:40 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Indeed, being some of the first people to ever see such a diversity of places all over the globe in their lifetimes, very unique.

Ball's Pyramid, also in the pacific :awesome:

--------------------
¿Check out some art m8?

InvisibleJokeshopbeard
Humble Student

#23017868 - 03/17/16 07:42 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Just looked that up, reminded me of how we basically used the whole of Australia as a prison!! And now they got it 20x better than we do! What irony!

--------------------
--Jac O'keeffe

InvisibleWheat farmer
Female

Loc: The field Flag
    #23017887 - 03/17/16 07:48 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah you guys are quite the joke :lol:

InvisibleRepertoire89
Cat
Male

#23017955 - 03/17/16 08:04 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

specialpeopleclub said:

Not as simple as winning a war.

Colonies are not necessarily treated very poorly, and the insane brutality of the British is what sets them apart. Compare the Mughal occupation of India with the British occupation of India.

InvisibleRepertoire89
Cat
Male

#23017980 - 03/17/16 08:09 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Jokeshopbeard said:
I read 'Burmese Days' by Orwell (love Orwell) which documents what it was like pretty well IMO. I can't talk for other countries we ruled, but Indians certainly are pretty docile and easily intimidated. I spent a month out there once, saw a couple of fights, which basically involved waving things like chairs and sticks menacingly at each other. Little to no contact.

Now imagine some hard British lad smacking someone like that right in the nose. I'm sure they backed down and cowered pretty quick, and that's before there's even a gun involved.

Just take a look at a town centre on a Fri/Sat night. Lads in punchups all over. We like a good scrap here.

:doublefacepalm:

There were wars and wars over India for hundreds of years.
Up until the day the English finally left, and then on some with Pakistan.

You're generalizing a group of people who over the course of that time frame, would add into the billions across hundreds of cultures. One end of India to another, is like one end of Europe to another.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order