Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
The Good Samaritan
    #2301112 - 02/04/04 02:08 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

*newsflash*

Was visiting my mom when I saw a flash of color run by the window. I ran to the door to see what was going on. A very tall and very scared woman was wedged between the house and the shed trembling. "What are you doing here?" I asked. She replied that she had gotten into a major fight with her boyfriend and was hiding from him. She asked if she could come inside. So I let her.

My mom, the good Christian, nearly panicked. In order to assuage her suspicions, I had to reassure her numerous times that we were safe. "But this could be a scam," she murmured skeptically. "Naw, the woman didn't come to our door, I went to her. Besides," I joked, "I think I could take her in a fight." Grudgingly, my mother smiled, but was extremely uncomfortable throughout the episode.

We lent the refuge a phone to call her uncle (she didn't want the police) and waited until we saw her get safely in the car.

Just another amazing mini-adventure with SkepticMan.

*Stands tall with cape snapping smartly in the breeze as credits roll*

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: The Good Samaritan [Re: Swami]
    #2301125 - 02/04/04 02:12 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

You evil son of a bitch! How dare you help a stranger in need! Don't you know you are only suspossed to adopt ideals so you can feel better about yourself? You aren't actually suspossed to live up to them!

:smirk:

Seriously, though, you did the right thing. Not a lot of people would help out someone like that.
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: The Good Samaritan [Re: fireworks_god]
    #2301146 - 02/04/04 02:17 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Heh, heh! You always put things in perspective.

The abused and abusive woman (guess she messed him up pretty good as well - maybe I couldn't take her in a fight) was so grateful that she was practically grovelling and was sitting curled up on the floor (and was still taller than me!) She asked what she could do for us in return. I said, "You can start by taking care of this situation." Oops, there I go preaching again...

--------------------

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #2301187 - 02/04/04 02:25 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Perspective is what this is all about, my friend. Find you a good position from which to view the world and all will be revealed. :wink:

I think that maybe people wouldn't help because it would be such a deviation from their normal day-to-day.. they don't want to deal with other people's problems because they have enough of their own that they never fucking solve. It is all probably revolving around some sort of fear...

If someone came onto my property like that, I'd be obliged to help. I'd like to think that someone would be there to help me if I was in a similar situation. :grin:
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

Loc: : Gringo
    #2301367 - 02/04/04 03:00 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

My mom, the good Christian, nearly panicked.

It's funny how a lot of those people are afraid to get their hands dirty. I'd like to see statistics on people that would

-perform CPR on strangers
-donate blood or plasma
-take a stranger in need into their homes

I wonder how their beliefs would break up. It would be interesting to see if the believers or non believers were statistically better samaritans.

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
-- :meff:
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: The Good Samaritan [Re: SpecialEd]
    #2301809 - 02/04/04 04:57 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

My mom directly said there was no way she would have let that woman into her home if I had not been there. She wanted to shoo the woman away like a stray dog.

There are some here who show their "true" spirituality day-after-day by following others around from thread to thread and sniping. Notice that not I, nor any other "skeptic" that I know of, has ever asked any member to leave the forum nor rated another member as a "disgusting piece of shit". I guess who you really are shines forth in your actions no matter how clever the disguise.

--------------------

Offlinepsumms
Stranger
Loc: Mostly SC
    #2301826 - 02/04/04 05:04 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

It is easy to say what you would or wouldn't do in a situation like that, but you never really know until the time comes. I guess that people can think you are a good person but until the time actually comes nobody really knows for sure. It appears that you, Swami, are a good person.
Kudos

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

Loc: Portland, OR
    #2301836 - 02/04/04 05:08 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

if i see that you can contribute calmness, compassion, and humor to this world, i will start "believing" in you....much more than theh false mustaches of the world who do charity work in the name of religion, most often....... i'm skeptical in this sense, of the good semaritan. there are the types who se charity is just an extension of who they are, and there are the types who have all sorts of whack motives for doing charitable acts.... know what i mean?

--------------------
Everything is better than it was the last time.  I'm good.

If we could look into each others hearts, and understand the unique challenges each of us faces, I think we would treat each other much more gently, with more love, patience, tolerance, and care.

It takes a lot of courage to go out there and radiate your essence.

I know you scared, you should ask us if we scared too.  If you was there, and we just knew you cared too.

InvisibletrendalM Happy Birthday!
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
    #2301837 - 02/04/04 05:09 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

"Actions speak louder than words" or so the saying goes!

Though I'm almost positive I've seen you say before, Swami, that "Good Samaritanism is highly over-rated"??

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

Loc: there
Re: The Good Samaritan [Re: CosmicJoke]
    #2301842 - 02/04/04 05:12 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

yeah I know what you mean. I think charity with "strings attached" is terrible
food in one hand, a bible in the other

it's almost like preying on the vulnerable and stealing their souls...

Anonymous

Re: The Good Samaritan [Re: trendal]
    #2301859 - 02/04/04 05:20 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

Re: The Good Samaritan [Re: ]
    #2301880 - 02/04/04 05:27 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Matthew 7:5
You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye.

Edited by infidelGOD (02/04/04 05:48 PM)

OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

Loc: : Gringo
    #2301884 - 02/04/04 05:28 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

How's the saying go about

"Anonymity is the jist of altruism."

See, I think a good deed is a good deed. It don't matter if it's public or not.

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
-- :meff:
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

J♠
Male User Gallery

Re: The Good Samaritan [Re: infidelGOD]
    #2301896 - 02/04/04 05:32 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Try and keep it peaceful, eh :wink:

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
    #2301901 - 02/04/04 05:33 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Just in case anybody asks if Evolving ever helped anyone out, tell them, "I don't know, he never told me about it."

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

InvisibleSkorpivoMusterion
Livin in theTwilight Zone...
 User Gallery

Loc: You can't spell fungus wi...
    #2301902 - 02/04/04 05:33 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I hope the woman snaps out of the cycle of abuse and doesn't go crawling back to her bf... :nonono:

Now it's time for you to invite her bf to a fishing trip on that nice big lake...and give him some nice new shoes.

concrete shoes.

Capisce?

--------------------
Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.

Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
    #2301905 - 02/04/04 05:33 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Sooo,, Swami... crossed over to the Light ehh? What personal sastisfaction did you get from helping the woman in need? What if your mom was right, and the woman had something terrible planned. What if you saved the womans life by helping her? All unknown questions, but the real question here is what this has to do with S&P?? Perhaps you can elaborate more, although I think I will try to understand the situation.
You seem to feel better about yourself by helping the world. What causes this feeling? How did you let your instincts take over in the situation? Did you FEEL or KNOW that the woman wasent dangerous, and you should offer help? or did you make a naive judgement to help a visably wounded person hoping to do the right thing? perhaps if you can answer any of my questions I could tie in my own veiw of S&P into the topic.

fireworks:Perspective is what this is all about, my friend. Find you a good position from which to view the world and all will be revealed....

Well duh! But all will be revealed from your own subjective biased veiwpoint, and you become like the mass majority of all humans on earth!!

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

#2301910 - 02/04/04 05:35 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

done

J♠
Male User Gallery

Re: The Good Samaritan [Re: infidelGOD]
    #2301920 - 02/04/04 05:39 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I don't think his intent was to mock, though as always I could be wrong :smirk:

However at any rate he did add something substantial to the thread...

See where I'm going? :wink:

(any further questions about this can be handled in PM - don't hesitate to send one if you have any!)

--------------------

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
    #2301948 - 02/04/04 05:45 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Swami, I once chased a guy down that was pushing his girlfreind around and getting ready to punch her.  I stepped between them, directed the girl to go to a safe place and recommended to the guy that he not use violence as a means of settling disputes.  My real motivation was wanting a reason to kick the ass of someone who smacks women around.  But alas, when confronted by someone who could physically stand up to him, he wussed out. 

I am not a good samaritan, just a violent prone 'mo fo' who now looks for a moral rationalization to take out his agression. :wink:

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

#2301968 - 02/04/04 05:49 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

ok, I changed it so as to make it less offensive

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#2301981 - 02/04/04 05:53 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Though I'm almost positive I've seen you say before, Swami, that "Good Samaritanism is highly over-rated"??

I did say that as several acts of automotive Good Samaritanism cost me many hundreds of dollars. Guess I can't change who I am.  :eyemouth:

J♠
Male User Gallery

#2301996 - 02/04/04 05:55 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

No, you certainly CAN change who you are! And I was trying to point out that it is good to see someone continue to make himself a good Semaritan even after repeatedly getting burned by doing so! :smile:

--------------------

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

#2302008 - 02/04/04 05:57 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I personally wouldn't have let a stranger into my house like that. there are too many crazies around here.

does your mom live in a small town?

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: The Good Samaritan [Re: 2Experimental]
    #2302066 - 02/04/04 06:12 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

...but the real question here is what this has to do with S&P??
Helping other human beings is the basis of spirituality is it not? Isn't this more on target than "Crop Circles" and the "Mathematicians are Insecure" threads?

You seem to feel better about yourself by helping the world. What causes this feeling? How did you let your instincts take over in the situation? Did you FEEL or KNOW that the woman wasent dangerous, and you should offer help?
There was the possibility that she was dangerous as she was very unstable. But there really was no deep "thinking" involved. I saw and acted. She was more emotionally wounded than physically and needed help. I did what I could.

I didn't post it for a pat on the back as one implied as my part in this melodrama was miniscule. It is just that as I often state here that I believe much more in action than in theory. Someone flatly stated that "skeptics" are basically heartless cynics (which in itself is a highly cynical view) and I just gave a real world example that no matter our beliefs we are all an interconnected family and need each other. Did I feel better about myself? Naw, that really didn't come into play.

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: The Good Samaritan [Re: SkorpivoMusterion]
    #2302085 - 02/04/04 06:16 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Now it's time for you to invite her bf to a fishing trip on that nice big lake...and give him some nice new shoes.

This type of thinking is in error for two reasons:

1. Having met many abused women, I can say that most are participants in this deranged dance.

2. What do you think spirituality is about? Revenge? The cycle of abuse must be stopped, but not by more abuse.

--------------------

Offlinepsumms
Stranger
    #2302114 - 02/04/04 06:22 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I don't know, people have to be punished. Death is obviously pretty harsh, but spirituality is about forgiveness; one can forgive, but people cannot be allowed to run all over others. Another part of spirituality is respecting others.

J♠
Male User Gallery

Re: The Good Samaritan [Re: psumms]
    #2302136 - 02/04/04 06:27 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

The problem with that is...who decides who to punish, what for, and to what extent?

Believing you have the right to "punish" another shows that you believe yourself to be in control of them - and who truely deserves to have control over another rational being?

--------------------

InvisibleSkorpivoMusterion
Livin in theTwilight Zone...
 User Gallery

Loc: You can't spell fungus wi...
    #2302137 - 02/04/04 06:27 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

-sigh-...Swami Swamster Swameroo....-sigh-...

I reaally had to massage my temples after reading that...

-massages temples s'more-

I'm seriously considering mailing you a book, Swami...

it's called "Humor 101".

Whaddya think? :grin:

--------------------
Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: The Good Samaritan [Re: SkorpivoMusterion]
    #2302155 - 02/04/04 06:31 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I have a sense of humor, but even if you meant it jokingly, this is a public forum where hundreds of people read these messages. Don't you think that many are angry when they read of this story and want revenge? Just used your quip as a launching pad to share my view on retribution.

But I also will accept all books sent to me.  :cool:

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
    #2302177 - 02/04/04 06:37 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Interesting how the christian families often have children that rebel against their belief systems and tunnel vision. From my observations anyway.

--------------------

Offlinepsumms
Stranger
    #2302210 - 02/04/04 06:46 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I believe that people who do harm to another, either physically or mentally should be punished. I am by no means saying that I am in control of that person but as I said, people cannot run over other people. Those are the people who believe themselves to be in control. I am all for people doing as they see fit-as long as it does not do harm to anyone else.

J♠
Male User Gallery

#2302238 - 02/04/04 06:55 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

That's about the exact same view I hold :smile:

Punishment is still a touchy subject with me, though. I think the details of the punishment should be up to the wronged party...but beyond that I don't have any specific views as to how punishment should be carried out.

--------------------

Offlinepsumms
Stranger
    #2302245 - 02/04/04 06:57 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

do you have children? I don't, but if they were to do something wrong like steal they would have to be punished, right? I mean, you have to teach people values.

J♠
Male User Gallery

#2302258 - 02/04/04 07:00 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

No, I don't have children (I'm 22 and not planning on children for quite some time yet!) but when (if) I do have chilren I plan on punishments that do not involve simple show of force - as I think that only agrevates the underlying problem.

I think that education is the key to resolving such issues. I will educate my children on why something is "wrong" to do...not just tell them it is wrong and then "punish" them for doing something when they don't know the why.

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#2302260 - 02/04/04 07:00 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah, like the way Gore's kid was punished for marijuana and Noelle Bush was punished for cocaine. OK, so those are not good examples...

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #2302278 - 02/04/04 07:05 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

karma is the universal balancing force. If you are in a position to balance the karma then you should as a responsible galactic citizen.

"punishment" is a human system that was invented in this solar ring many millions of years ago. It serves no real purpose except to create negative karma which must be balanced. punishment usually denotes pain or violence against another human with free will. which is a universal crime.

The real karma is a life lesson. Some insight, or revelation, that one may spark within someone else, to give them a new perspective they might not have considered before.

We did not come here to kill each other, we came here to learn. We just happen to have been killing each other all this time, that slows down the spiritual learning curve a bit. Well...some people came here to kill each other, but that's beside the point..and part of karma..

Punishment should be replaced by teaching lessons. Starting very subtly and continuing to increase in intensity until the lesson is mastered. The lessons should not involve humans violating free will, and should in fact practice what you are preaching, by teaching through example.

--------------------

Offlinepsumms
Stranger
    #2302288 - 02/04/04 07:09 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I'm not talking about hitting a kid; I am 20 and also do not plan on kids for a while. I used to get spanked, by no means was I abused, I come from a good family; but when my parents said that they were disappointed in me, it always worked better than their spanking me. So I agree. Education is the key to resolving such issues. Explaining to someone that what they did has hurt someone else will definately work unless the person in question turns out to be a sociopath. Most people feel remorse when they know that their actions have caused someone harm.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #2302294 - 02/04/04 07:10 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

"I was beaten as a child, it makes me so angry thinking about it I could beat someone"

and the cycle continues...

--------------------

Offlinepsumms
Stranger
Re: The Good Samaritan [Re: Shroomism]
    #2302319 - 02/04/04 07:15 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Well perhaps it is your place to break the cycle my man

Offlinepsumms
Stranger
    #2302362 - 02/04/04 07:25 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I realize after reading over what I just wrote that it sounds a little offensive. I can imagine how you would feel as I have had the shit kicked out of my by a group of guys who I did not know at a party I went to and I wanted nothing more than to line them all up and drop kick them in the face. I did not mean to sound rude and it is horrible what happened to you. What I am going to say may still sound a little insensitive but I do not mean it to be.

I think that it is your place to step up and be a bigger person. Take the knowledge you were given by your parents (good or bad) through your experiences with them and use them to mold you into a better person. That is what I meant.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #2302414 - 02/04/04 07:38 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I put it in quotes for a reason.. it wasn't necessarily my own thought, but one that many have felt that rationalizes violence.

--------------------

J♠
Male User Gallery

#2302420 - 02/04/04 07:40 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

"My parents beat the shit out of me, and I'm looking forward to beating the shit outta my kids!" -- Denis Leary

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #2302426 - 02/04/04 07:40 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

exactly

--------------------

Offlinepsumms
Stranger
    #2302434 - 02/04/04 07:42 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

oh shit, I didn't even see the quotes, oh well, I stand by what I said

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #2302466 - 02/04/04 07:54 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

it's good advice you gave

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order