Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Dehydrator, Dessicant

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinekenjaman
half-a-centurypsychonaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: Pinellas County, Florida
Keeping copes potent after picking?
    #2300346 - 02/04/04 01:16 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Concerning Copes..... this is the only type of shroom that I have found so far (Florida Gulf Pasture). Last summer I noticed a measure of difference in the psychoactive effects in my finds from week to week. As this season approaches - I'm looking to vary my method of storage and find what works best for these little guys. Last year I would pick and store in a paperbag in the refridgerator until Saturday morning when my collection was between 8 - 14 of various size copes.... most being less than 2cm cap. A friend of mine got a food dehydrator for xmas..... should I dry in sun vs dry in food dehydrator vs store in fridge fresh....? Opinions please?

Peace, kenjaman.

--------------------
LIFE IS WONDERFUL!!!
Is it god or is it prozac?
Or are they one and the same?

LiC - kenja

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinedamnfunkypro
Warrior of Funk
Re: Keeping copes potent after picking? [Re: kenjaman]
    #2300491 - 02/04/04 02:03 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Mmmmm... Copes :smile:
Yes I do love those Blue Meanies!
I live in central Florida and those are my favorite mushies to pick. I haven't found any this season yet though.
As far as drying goes, I would recommend trying the following two methods that I havehad success with:

1) "Au naturale" = Lay those beauties on some newspaper in front of a small fan.

2) Make a drying chamber with dessicant a.k.a. "DampRid" or Dri-Rite... Get a RubberMaid or a plastic bowl. Pour a little dessicant in the bottom. Cover with chicken wire or something similar. Lay your shrooms next. Then cover. This will make some beautiful looking cracker-dry shrooms.

Hope this helps. And I hope I pick some pretty damn soon.
peace,
damnfunkypro

OfflineGumbyM
Fishnologist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: BRICK CITY!
Trusted Identifier
Re: Keeping copes potent after picking? [Re: damnfunkypro]
    #2300559 - 02/04/04 02:25 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Dessicant chamber is your best bet if you wanna perserve potency. If you do a search in the cultivation forum you can find detailed instructions on how to make one.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: Keeping copes potent after picking? [Re: damnfunkypro]
    #2300584 - 02/04/04 02:31 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I have posted this info over and over again and again.

Their potency depends on how you handle them when picking them, how you carry them aroound with you after picking them. It also depends on what kind of container you use to place the mushrooms after you pick them and how you carry that container. And then how you dry them when you get them home.

One thing you never must do is to squeeze the mushroom when you lift it from the ground.

2. Lift it up gently and it will release itself from the mycelium.

Place it in a tray with paper underneath, a paper towell works fine or use a paper bag or a cardboard Ritz box.

Lay each shroom with care without squeezzing it while handling into the container so that they are all facing the same direction.

So that all shroooom caps are on one end and all stems are at the other end. Carry the container like it was a cup of hot coffee so that the shrooms do not move at all inside the container you are carrying.

NEver close the top of a container. Always leave a bag open or the top of the box open so that yu can allow them to have air. Never use baggies or plastic bags.

Then at home, lift a single shroom from your tray by the edges of the cap so as not to cause oxidation in the stem. Then lay the shroom down in a single file on a sheet of newspaper in a place where airflow and fan can run together. They should dry in 24 hours.

Clinical studies of some of my collected cope specimens revealed that one dried gram ofd Copelandia cyanescens appeared to be as potent as asingle dried gram of liberty caps.

Look in the search engines from around August - Septemebnr of last year to see many collections of Copelandias in trays from Thailand and Cambodia and Viet-Nam. See their condition. Or go to my site and look at the picture taken by G GreatOne234 of his beautiful light bluing copes at my site under Copelandia cyanescens in the species ID section. IT is also her eint he Shroomery FAQS. GGreatOne234 also knows the value of treating the shrooms with the greatest care when handling.

mj

So I might as well give you an example of shrooms of the copelandia kind while picking them.

and
another collection later in the same day

and lay them to dry as seen in this hawaiian collection of Copes on Oahu Island

mj

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #2300700 - 02/04/04 02:52 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Hi,

Mjshroomer is right on about how delicate they are,
- :smile: Their potency almost begins to "seep" out of them the moment you pick them, and each stain of blue that they are bruised is like a porthole for the potency to leak out of.

I used to always use a food dehydrator, i don't have one anymore so i just put them on a table in my room on a large sheet of paper and then have the ceiling fan cranking.

I also use Paper bags for collecting; and carry the collection-bag ever so delicately (as mj noted "like a cup of hot coffee"). When i get my collection bag home, i careful tear the bag open to get all the shrooms out (i don't just dump all the shrooms out of the bag and onto the counter because their potency will degrade from such abuse).

I use paper bags, but i would prefer to use plastic trays or a basket-type-thing like mj does. But paper bags do the trick.

It does take some practice. It does take some practice to even identify them too.

Offlinekenjaman
half-a-centurypsychonaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: Pinellas County, Florida
Re: Keeping copes potent after picking? [Re: GGreatOne234]
    #2301748 - 02/04/04 06:38 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Thank you folks - I appreciate all the good feedback. I've read alot on the web to educate myself.... but I have some noticeable "short term memory" deficiency and can't remember everything.

This season I will try to be more gentle in my picking. I probably lost alot of the potency from my finds last summer as I would actually squeeze the stems and try to make them turn blue - just to be sure of what I had. I did use a paper bag (not plastic) - but when I would get home I dumped them out on the counter and then rinsed each one with tap-water. After the rinse I would lay them all in the same direction on a paper towel as mj said - but then I would lightly fold the towel over and place them back in the bag and into the refridgerator. Does it hurt to rinse them off....?

So drying copes should be better than keeping them fridge fresh to maintain the potency - right? This will be new as I didn't try to dry any last year.

Thank you and Peace, kenjaman

--------------------
LIFE IS WONDERFUL!!!
Is it god or is it prozac?
Or are they one and the same?

LiC - kenja

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #2302528 - 02/04/04 10:10 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Hi,

You don't want them to come into contact with water.
-They will lose potency that way.

It is perfectly fine for you (in the begining) to squeeze the stems a little bit, so that you can be sure that it is a Copelandia (magic) mushroom. All Copelandia's will stain blue after bruised. And (especially during the summer-time) there are several other species of (non-active) Panaeolus mushrooms to be found growing from cow manure, and you need to learn how to tell them all apart from the Copelandia; by bruising the shrooms you will see the color blue appear and then you will know you have Copelandia and not any of the fake look-a-like Panaeolus mushrooms.

And afterwards collecting, when you get home, seperate through all the mushrooms and make sure that they are all Copelandia. More times than not, a un-experienced Copelandia hunter will accidently end up with a few of the non-active Panaeolus mushrooms in their collection bags. And those need to be discarded so that all you have are the Copelandia specie.

It is a very-smart idea to do this (like you said), "to be sure of what you have".

Yeah, definately don't dump all your shrooms out of the bags, it is more unwanted damage to the shrooms which will degrade in potency more with every little bump and bruise they recieve along the way.

And definately do not rinse them under water. You will lose a lot of the potency that way.
-Carefully learn how to remove any extra sand/dung/dirt from the base of the stems, and do that in the field (before you put the shrooms into your collection bag). The sand and dirt and dung will create a mess when you want to finally eat your shrooms, and the sand falls into the gills of the mushrooms and then you will end up munching on a bunch of sand. Nobody like to eat sand..

If you want to preserve them for just a few days (until you want to trip like on a weekend or something) than you can uniformly put all your copes on a paper plate (or something similar) and then place a paper towel over the shrooms, then put this into the refrigerator and the copelandia will stay nice and fresh for a few extra days until you want to eat them.

Otherwise, you should dry them for later use if youi wish.

Copelandia's (imo) are so much better when they are fresh though (not dried).

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
Re: Keeping copes potent after picking? [Re: GGreatOne234]
    #2302558 - 02/04/04 10:19 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Here is a picture of a Copelandia harvest from last winter last year;

You see they are not really bruised blue because i too great care collecting them.
-They are all Copelandia shrooms though.

On the left side you see a few of the older less-desireable copes
In the middle are the nicer copes
And to the left are some of the stems left over from the caps i spore printed.

Those were shrooms from southwest florida (Manatee county to be precise), and they were growing in the open field during the winter-time, i think it was around Christmas.

Actually it might have been Friday the 13th of December, and i took 13 spore prints of the nicest caps.
-Ive never seen any of the shrooms that people might have or have not grown from those spores.

And if i remember correctly i think that i ate all those shrooms in the picture after the picture.
-It is about 4-5 doses worth of the Copelandia.

Keep shroomin,
GG

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Dehydrator, Dessicant

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification