Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store - Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Hydroponics Supplies, Salvia, San Pedro

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Anonymous

would this work?
    #2299787 - 02/04/04 09:09 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

hey, I was checking it out and I think it might work for a peyote button but i wanted to ask the experts first...

I actually think its more of a aero system, right? since the nutrients are fed by humid air.

little unit

would this system be benifical to my peyote button or should I stick with the cactus mix I have right now?  :laugh:

peace

zerohero

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinestefan
work in progress

Loc: The Netherlands
Re: would this work? [Re: ]
    #2299904 - 02/04/04 10:22 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

probably to wet for peyote I guess...
plus that thing is ugly :smirk:

Anonymous

Re: would this work? [Re: stefan]
    #2299980 - 02/04/04 10:55 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

lol! :grin:  its not that ugly.. I would paint it anyways.

I thought the only problem with cactus is if the roots sit in wet soil and create wet rot.. but with an aero system, the roots would be completely dry and would only absorb the nutrients it needs when it needs it.  I could be wrong but I thought thats what makes it grow better for plants.

I am looking to speed up the growth, plus want the plant be as healthy as it can be 24/7.

Offlinestefan
work in progress

Loc: The Netherlands
    #2300023 - 02/04/04 11:20 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

so first graft it on a pereskiopsis and then put it in that thing with 24 houres light a day. you must have a football sized peyote in a year :grin:

now serious... so the roots of the plant must sit in that little black basket thingy right? A peyote has a pen-root (don't know the exact english name :tongue:) so I don't know if that's suitable for such a device. If not you couls still graft it like I said above.

Anonymous

Re: would this work? [Re: stefan]
    #2300040 - 02/04/04 11:31 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

the peyote button would be placed in that basket and the roots will have geolite surounding it so that would hold the cactus in place.  the only thing I would have to worry about is if the root system grows down any farther, but since its always getting nutrients the root system wouldn't have to grow any more.

I think graphing would be a good idea to try too. :smile: I bet I would get soccer ball size peyote buttons. :ooo: :wink: (a man can dream, cant he.)

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
    #2300072 - 02/04/04 11:46 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

I thought the only problem with cactus is if the roots sit in wet soil and create wet rot.. but with an aero system, the roots would be completely dry and would only absorb the nutrients it needs when it needs it.

the problem is that cacti will be less prone to rot when the environment is saturated lightly with water for short periods at a time, being able to dry in between than in an environment constantly saturated with moisture. albiet this is small amounts of water in the air, it would most probably condence on the roots and keep them wet, if it didn't there would be no real amounts of nutrients getting to it. i believe this condensation is actualy one of the principals upon which the system functions.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Anonymous

Re: would this work? [Re: canid]
    #2300132 - 02/04/04 12:16 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

sorry, from your information I couldn' tell whether you were saying it would be a good thing or not to use this system.

and would this be an hydro system or an aero system? I think its an aero since its using evaporated water to feed the plants.. I think the ebayer just wanted to use hydro to get more hits on his page...but correct me if I am wrong since I am very new to this.

Offlinefelixhigh
KIA
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ly
    #2300647 - 02/04/04 02:44 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

seems a good idea for people to spen their money into.
i will stick to dirt so far. :wink:

FH

Anonymous

Re: would this work? [Re: felixhigh]
    #2300820 - 02/04/04 03:13 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

if it grows a healthier cactus wouldn't it be worth it to invest into a system like this..

I mean if we didn't have hydro for MJ, the MJ we smoke wouldn't be as good as it is now. :laugh:

I just want to know if it will work... if it does, I will invest and see what will happen. I love my peyote button and I want the best home I can give "piper the peyote button"...i am also looking for a way not to overkill my cactus with water.

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

Loc: Rigel 7
    #2300961 - 02/04/04 03:39 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

It's not a good thing really.

Here's why:

First and foremost it would be physically impossible to sustain the peyote based on a few mechanics:
-The root of peyote is a huge tap root, it has really no lateral buds, think of putting an upside down cone in that basket and suspending it in the pot. There would be no lateral root shoots that would dip into the water, not to mention it would be really unstable, you wouldn't even be able to pack that basket with geolite or any other hydroponics support medium.

Second too much water around the roots makes the cactus prone to rot as has been noted. The major defense mechanism of the root is it's dry cuticle on the outside to prevent any unwatned pests from stealing it's goodies inside, this dryness has resulted in no need for any other hormonal defenses that many other plants have when it comes to their roots. So it'd rot up quick.

However, on the other hand i have seen some hydroponic cactii before, there's even a post here about it with some pictures. I believe the system is modified somewhat to support cacti. Other cacti don't have that huge tap root that peyote has, so using the normal basket isn't a problem. So again you'd have to resdesign that basket for your peyote.

I say, if you want it, use it for something else.

Anonymous

Re: would this work? [Re: neuro]
    #2301047 - 02/04/04 03:54 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

thanks man!! you rock!  I was thinking of getting a bigger system and growing kanna, salvia, and other legal entho's.

I just saw this pot and I wondered whether it would work..

I wil continue to use the soil for my button. 

peace :sun:

Offlinefelixhigh
KIA
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ly
    #2301853 - 02/04/04 07:18 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

applause to the dirt!

FH

Anonymous

Re: would this work? [Re: felixhigh]
    #2302758 - 02/04/04 11:26 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

felixhigh said:
applause to the dirt!

FH

lol :grin: yeah the dirt is good. :heart:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Hydroponics Supplies, Salvia, San Pedro

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden