Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineHygrocybe
Walkin Wonderland
 User Gallery

Ancient Mongolian Embroidery Depicts Mushroom Use
    #22993719 - 03/10/16 06:47 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

“We drank Soma, we became immortal...”

For over a hundred years now, scientists have been discussing what plant was used to prepare Soma (Haoma), a sacred drink of the ancient Indians and Iranians, which "inspired poets and seers, made warriors fearless." The hypotheses were plenty: from ephedra, cannabis, and opium poppy to blue water lily (Nymphaea caerulea) and fly agaric (Amanita muscaria). The answer was found in a grave of a noble woman buried in an elite burial ground of the Xiongnu, the famous nomads of Central Asia

Importantly, none of the researchers denies the fact that the ancient Indians and Iranians consumed a drink with a psychoactive substance as a sacrament. However, the precise identity of the substance and its plant source, as well as its influence on human consciousness, are still being debated.

The translator and greatest authority on the Rigveda Tatyana Ya. Elizarenkova wrote: “Judging by the Rigveda hymns, Soma was not only stimulating but also a hallucinogenic drink. It is difficult to be more specific not only because none of the plants suggested as soma satisfies all the parameters and only partially answers the description of soma given in the hymns but mainly because the language and style of the Rigveda, an archaic religious tome with the typical features of ‘Indo-European poetic speech’, pose a formidable obstacle to soma identification.” Knowing perfectly well that all the possibilities of the written source had been exhausted, Elizarenkova believed that the answer could come from archaeologists, from “their findings in North-Western India, Afghanistan, and Pakistan (and not in remote Central Asia).”

Remarkably, her opinion, expressed 25 years ago, was confirmed by new findings made in Mongolia. No one could have suspected that a grave of a noble woman buried in an elite burial ground of the Xiongnu, the famous nomads of Central Asia, would answer the question asked long ago.

It happened in 2009. A team from the Institute of Archaeology and Ethnography SB RAS, which was led by Natalia Polosmak, was performing archaeological excavations in the Noin-Ula Mountains, Northern Mongolia. In tumulus 31, at a depth of 13 meters, the archaeologists discovered a wooden burial chamber. On the floor, which was covered with a thick layer of blue clay, around an old tomb ruined by ancient robbers, there were visible traces of a woollen fabric; this was all that was left of an embroidered strip, which was of great historical value even in this fragmentary state. Textiles are virtually never preserved in ancient graves, and such findings are exceptionally rare. The remains of the textile were retrieved from the grave and delivered to the Institute of Archaeology and Ethnography SB RAS. The second life of this remarkable artefact began thanks to Russian restorers.

The craftsmanship and the story unfolding on the threadbare fabric are truly amazing. Embroidered in woollen thread on the thin cloth is a procession of Zoroastrian warriors marching towards an altar; one of them, standing at the altar, is holding a mushroom in his hands.

A distinguishing feature of this embroidery is that the craftsmen did their best to depict the faces, costume, arms, plants, and insects, trying to copy everything from life. According to the mycologist I.A. Gorbunova (Candidate of Biology, senior researcher with the Inferior Plant Laboratory, Central Siberian Botanical Garden, SB RAS), the mushroom depicted on the carpet belongs to the Strophariaceae family. In some ways—the general habitus, shape of the cap, stitches along the edge of the cap reminding of the radial folding or remnants of the partial veil and dark inclusions on the stipe that can remind of a paleaceous ring, which blackens after the spores are puffed—it is similar to Psilocybe cubensis (Earle) Singer [Stropharia cubensis Earle]. Some of the mushrooms of the genus Stropharia cubensis, or Psilocybe cubensis, contain psilocybin—a unique stimulator of the nervous system. In their psychoactive properties, psilocybin mushrooms are much more befitting as vegetative equivalents of Soma, or Hoama, than fly agaric, which was identified with Soma in the Rigveda by R.G. Wasson in his well-known book. His point of view was supported by many famous scientists; the psychedelic theory proposed by T. McKenna even assigns the main role in human evolution to psilocybin-containing mushrooms.

For the first time, we can see vivid evidence, embroidered on an ancient cloth discovered by archaeological excavations, for the use of mushrooms for religious purposes, probably, to make Haoma, a “sacred drink.”

The origin of this embroidery and characters depicted on it is associated with North-Western India and the Indo-Scythians (Sakas). How the embroidered cloth made it into a Xiongnu grave is a surprise of the so-called Silk Road, a network of trade routes crossing the whole of Eurasia. Judging by the Chinese chronicles, veils and blankets from Northern India were highly valued in the Han China.

The woollen curtain with an amazing plot was discovered after its 2,000-year-long confinement in a deep grave, which is a miracle in itself. The curtain is not only a fine example of ancient art, which was recovered thanks to the meticulous work of Russian restorers, but a unique source of information casting light on one of the obscure periods of ancient history.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineHardTrippin
The Ambivalent
Male

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: Ancient Mongolian Embroidery Depicts Mushroom Use [Re: Hygrocybe]
    #22993764 - 03/10/16 07:02 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

This article seems to be claiming that psilocybe mushrooms are the fabled Soma. A bold claim, and I'm not sure the evidence extends so far. Still, an exciting find.

--------------------

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offlinemorrowasted
Worldwide Stepper
Male User Gallery

Loc: House of Mirrors
Re: Ancient Mongolian Embroidery Depicts Mushroom Use [Re: HardTrippin]
    #22993790 - 03/10/16 07:11 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

HardTrippin said:
This article seems to be claiming that psilocybe mushrooms are the fabled Soma. A bold claim, and I'm not sure the evidence extends so far. Still, an exciting find.

Yeah the size of that mushroom leads me to believe it is more like fly agaric, but I am no mycologist.

OfflineMental Taco
Male User Gallery

Loc: Hell
    #22994035 - 03/10/16 08:20 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

This is awesome if its true :scaryshroom:

--------------------
Did you not know that the royal hunting grounds are always forbidden?

OfflineEggtimer
HotSauce Lover

#22994096 - 03/10/16 08:43 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

There's a lot of talk about red and blue Bodhisattvas.
Also from what I understand there was no word for mushroom in old Sanskrit. They had them but for whatever reason they didn't include it in the language.

--------------------
It's all for the :lol:s

Edited by Eggtimer (03/10/16 08:47 PM)

OfflineHygrocybe
Walkin Wonderland
 User Gallery

Re: Ancient Mongolian Embroidery Depicts Mushroom Use [Re: HardTrippin] * 1
    #22994194 - 03/10/16 09:19 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

RealitySandwich ran a good piece about soma, it's unlikely to be one source.

OfflineReposadoXochipilli
Here, there, inbetween
Male User Gallery

Loc: Sand and sunshine
    #22994582 - 03/10/16 11:48 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

interesting thread, thanks for the link hygrocybe

--------------------

Invisiblenooneman
Male

Loc: Utah
    #22994885 - 03/11/16 02:40 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

I think you guys are missing the point. This textile is evidence of non-American possibly indo-european ancient intentional use of psilocybin, which has never been confirmed before. If true, it could indicate that other people such as ancient Greeks might have known about psilocybin containing mushrooms which would be huge.

OfflineKonyap

Loc: Planet Piss
Re: Ancient Mongolian Embroidery Depicts Mushroom Use [Re: nooneman]
    #22994900 - 03/11/16 02:57 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

They used to think they took fly agaric

because it would have depressive effects at a certain threshold and energetic effects at another

if it's psilocybin then we have wayyy cooler stuff then that now

I just thought it was GHB/MDMA combo!!

Edited by Konyap (03/11/16 02:57 AM)

OfflineSpace Elf
 User Gallery

Re: Ancient Mongolian Embroidery Depicts Mushroom Use [Re: nooneman]
    #22994906 - 03/11/16 03:01 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

nooneman said:
I think you guys are missing the point. This textile is evidence of non-American possibly indo-european ancient intentional use of psilocybin, which has never been confirmed before. If true, it could indicate that other people such as ancient Greeks might have known about psilocybin containing mushrooms which would be huge.

There's no doubt in my mind that many ancient cultures in the East knew about psilocybin mushrooms and amanita muscaria. For some reason, those cultures kept these entheogens as a secret. I guess they didn't want to share the secret to "eternal life" with anyone. At least, that's the way that many of these cultures regarded these substances, it seems.

--------------------

Offlinedwnlw2slw
METANOIA

Re: Ancient Mongolian Embroidery Depicts Mushroom Use [Re: Konyap]
    #22995801 - 03/11/16 12:08 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Konyap said:

if it's psilocybin then we have wayyy cooler stuff then that now

I just thought it was GHB/MDMA combo!!

Way cooler stuff than psilocybin now?

What is GHB and can you explain?

--------------------
"Music is liquid architecture; architecture is frozen music." -Johann Wolfgang Goethe

"Slow is the experience of all deep fountains: long have they to wait until they know what has fallen into their depths." -Nietzsche

My avatar is called "Inner Sanctum" by Luke Brown.

Offlineshellzenone
Zen
Male User Gallery

Re: Ancient Mongolian Embroidery Depicts Mushroom Use [Re: dwnlw2slw]
    #22996666 - 03/11/16 04:36 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

How could anyone on psychedelics go fight in a war?:shocked:

OfflineHardTrippin
The Ambivalent
Male

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: Ancient Mongolian Embroidery Depicts Mushroom Use [Re: shellzenone]
    #22996846 - 03/11/16 05:39 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

shellzenone said:

Fear.

--------------------

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

OfflineSupachopped719
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Ancient Mongolian Embroidery Depicts Mushroom Use [Re: HardTrippin]
    #22999255 - 03/12/16 11:50 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

HardTrippin said:
Quote:

shellzenone said:

Fear.

Manson family style brainwashing in the ancient times.

--------------------
Real Eyes Realize Real Lies.

OfflineCamwritesgonzo
The Unflushable Stool
Male User Gallery

Loc: On Uranus Flag
Re: Ancient Mongolian Embroidery Depicts Mushroom Use [Re: Supachopped719]
    #23000323 - 03/12/16 05:47 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Hey, my brother always said "Mongoloids use shrooms..." I guess this proves him correct! (I'm not Mongolian, but I am guilty of a few Mongolian-cluster-fucks lol)

--------------------
"I've always maintained that reality is for those who can't face drugs."-Tom Waits
"I feel the same way about disco as I feel about herpes."-Hunter S. Thompson
A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous, got me?

InvisibleCognitive_Shift
CS actual
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Ancient Mongolian Embroidery Depicts Mushroom Use [Re: Camwritesgonzo]
    #23020354 - 03/18/16 12:49 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Saying its from the psilocobe genus is a stretch but at least we definitely know now it's a mushroom and not cannabis, ergotized beer or any of the non myco theories out there.

--------------------
L'enfer est plein de bonnes volontés et désirs

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Cultivation Supplies