Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

PhytoExtractum Shop: Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleWilly Wonka
Medicine Man
 User Gallery

Loc: The Other Side Flag
Drying Cactus
    #22990625 - 03/09/16 09:35 PM (8 years, 20 days ago)

What is the best way to dry a good amount of San Pedro?  I was thinking I would cut star disks about a half an inch thick each and then put them in my dehydrator at the lowest heat setting.  That would take forever though.  Then someone said I could stick the cactus in a car with the widows rolled up for a day or two.  That seems to be better than the dehydrator method.  I would really love to hear from those of you who have dried big cuts of cactus before.  How much were you working with?  What did you do to dry it?  How dry did it get? 

Please and Thank you,

Willy

--------------------
AMU

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleEminence
Male

Loc: Richmond, VA Flag
Re: Drying Cactus [Re: Willy Wonka]
    #22990678 - 03/09/16 09:52 PM (8 years, 20 days ago)

I just cut mine into stars about the size you mentioned and use my toaster oven at like 150-175. Takes a while but that's why I do it a couple days in advance :shrug:

--------------------

Offlinewilburwild
Male User Gallery

Loc: Victoria Flag
Re: Drying Cactus [Re: Eminence]
    #22990856 - 03/09/16 10:41 PM (8 years, 20 days ago)

Last time i tried to dry some out, the disks calloused and went mouldy as they were too thick (i tried to dry them in the sun :facepalm3: ) . Ive read mescaline is an extremely stable molecule, so in my most recent effort i made the slices around 5mm thick. Judging by the trip it seemed to be quite effective. I used a small fan and  the ovens grill to aid the process. Hope this helps somewhat and good luck
~Also Willy~  :hi:

--------------------
"I feel like I've seen your pyjama pants, but thats probably just a memory of a memory"

OfflineSmokingInTheDark
Stranger

Re: Drying Cactus [Re: Willy Wonka]
    #22990921 - 03/09/16 11:01 PM (8 years, 20 days ago)

Quote:

Willy Wonka said:
What is the best way to dry a good amount of San Pedro?  I was thinking I would cut star disks about a half an inch thick each and then put them in my dehydrator at the lowest heat setting.  That would take forever though.  Then someone said I could stick the cactus in a car with the widows rolled up for a day or two.  That seems to be better than the dehydrator method.  I would really love to hear from those of you who have dried big cuts of cactus before.  How much were you working with?  What did you do to dry it?  How dry did it get? 

Please and Thank you,

Willy

Having a car with the windows rolled up couldnt dry it out as you would be trapping most of the moisture.

Id just cut them into small/thin slices and use a dehydrator. If you run out of room wait or use a fan to pre dry before using a food dehydrator. Its whats its for.

Small pieces wont take long, and pretty sure you can do higher setting want to say i saw documentary of indigenous people wrapping them in leaves and putting them near the fire/coals to cook/dry the cactus.

Invisibleferrel_human
stone eater
Male User Gallery

Loc: Darkside of the moon Flag
Re: Drying Cactus [Re: SmokingInTheDark]
    #22991052 - 03/10/16 12:05 AM (8 years, 20 days ago)

Quote:

SmokingInTheDark said:
Quote:

Willy Wonka said:

Please and Thank you,

Willy

Having a car with the windows rolled up couldnt dry it out as you would be trapping most of the moisture.

There you are wrong my friend. I have done it and its like 2 maybe 3 days tops. And we are talking dog days of summer man. Regular 25 celciusr wont cut it. I mean like 44 celcius hot. Then it just cracklins ready for the coffee grinder.

--------------------
Nature is my church and walking through it is gospel. It tells no lies and reveals all to those who look, and listen, closely.
-Karode

Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
Re: Drying Cactus [Re: ferrel_human]
    #22992212 - 03/10/16 11:52 AM (8 years, 20 days ago)

Helps when you are in Texas haha....here they would be moldy in about 20 hours without fresh air to the max.

if you dont have dry hot air, keep in mind the skin keeps them wet.  people who are not me would not cut them sideways, like stars, but length wise like wieners.  every rib joint gets a slice.  then when they are all cut lengthwise, cut them cross wise (as you would for stars) but now instead of stars you have little messed up diamonds/triangles.  dries 40% faster.  smaller pieces = more surface are = faster drying.  Unless you are somewhere crazy hot and dry, like Texas, it can be the difference between an experience and a mycological experiment.

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

Invisibleferrel_human
stone eater
Male User Gallery

Loc: Darkside of the moon Flag
Re: Drying Cactus [Re: kadakuda]
    #22992222 - 03/10/16 11:56 AM (8 years, 20 days ago)

Texas helps. :lol:

But kada has the right idea. More surface area means faster drying.

--------------------
Nature is my church and walking through it is gospel. It tells no lies and reveals all to those who look, and listen, closely.
-Karode

InvisibleWilly Wonka
Medicine Man
 User Gallery

#22993889 - 03/10/16 07:37 PM (8 years, 19 days ago)

Quote:

kadakuda said:
Helps when you are in Texas haha....here they would be moldy in about 20 hours without fresh air to the max.

if you dont have dry hot air, keep in mind the skin keeps them wet.  people who are not me would not cut them sideways, like stars, but length wise like wieners.  every rib joint gets a slice.  then when they are all cut lengthwise, cut them cross wise (as you would for stars) but now instead of stars you have little messed up diamonds/triangles.  dries 40% faster.  smaller pieces = more surface are = faster drying.  Unless you are somewhere crazy hot and dry, like Texas, it can be the difference between an experience and a mycological experiment.

When I was considering cutting them I thought that I might cut them into stars and then cut the ribs away from the core to remove the core.  I do agree with you on that.  I think The core is just wasted material and I am sure it would dry quicker in smaller cuts.

--------------------
AMU

Edited by Willy Wonka (03/10/16 07:38 PM)

InvisibleWilly Wonka
Medicine Man
 User Gallery

#22994467 - 03/10/16 10:59 PM (8 years, 19 days ago)

Quote:

kadakuda said:
people who are not me would not cut them sideways, like stars, but length wise like wieners.  every rib joint gets a slice.  then when they are all cut lengthwise, cut them cross wise (as you would for stars) but now instead of stars you have little messed up diamonds/triangles.  dries 40% faster.  smaller pieces = more surface are = faster drying. 

People who are not me or you have tried the way I suggested and then they tried the way you suggested and it turns out the way you suggested tends to be a hella lot easier than what I thought I would do. 

Wieners it is...

Here is tonight's dehydrator full.

I am running the dehydrator at 125F.  I am also gonna try the car method over the weekend.  By the time I am done with all of this I will know for sure the best way to dry cactus.

--------------------
AMU

Jump to top Pages: 1

PhytoExtractum Shop: Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder