Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleJohn
ssdp.org

Loc: Vancouver, B.C.
What happens when you die?
    #2297442 - 02/03/04 03:25 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

???

Just wondering what some of you guys think, sorry if there have been a million of these threads already, but if there has, well peoples precptions change all the time. maybe some of you have a diffrent idea than you had last time you anwsered the question. thanks for any replies :stoned:

oh yeah you don't have to get into every detail I know sometimes peoples beliefs are hard to express through writing and what not and sometimes just go on a understanding or gut feeling you have, just a general idea of what you think :sun:

--------------------
There's a thin line between sanity and insanity... and I just snorted it.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
Re: What happens when you die? [Re: John]
    #2297536 - 02/03/04 03:51 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

nothing and everything happen all in one moment and for eternity.

lol make sense? doesn't to me either

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

Loc: : Gringo
    #2298117 - 02/03/04 06:22 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

The correct answer is

I don't know.

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
-- :meff:
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

Loc: there
    #2298146 - 02/03/04 06:26 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

just make something up

the dead aren't gonna know the difference

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
Re: What happens when you die? [Re: SpecialEd]
    #2298397 - 02/03/04 07:46 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

"The correct answer is
I don't know."

right but I don't think he's looking for that answer.... lol I'm usually the first to say "we don't know shit about anything" heh but I think he's looking for cool guesses :wink:

I shouldn't speak for him though

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

Re: What happens when you die? [Re: Strumpling]
    #2298565 - 02/03/04 08:34 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

How dare you contaminate my profound truth with your meager suppositions!

joke. :lol:

I think you are right.  In time jtryptamine, in time.

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

InvisibleJohn
ssdp.org

Re: What happens when you die? [Re: SpecialEd]
    #2298887 - 02/03/04 11:48 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

yeah i was just looking for your guys therories i already have a good one i think, that involes energy (life/spirit whatever you wanna call it) and carriers (physical body) and how energy is never destroyed just carriers change, change to what, well i have no fuckin clue maybe another human body or maybe something completly incomprenhendable (probably really fucked the spelling of that :tongue:) to our minds at this time or maybe our energy changes carriers everynight, like how do you know you were in the same carrier (physical body) that you were the day before? one would say "what about all my memories and such?" but think about a computer when you power it down and the next morning turn it on again it has a diffrent source of energy but still retains all the files/memory it had the day before. the body would act as a battery of sorts keeping the memory while the energy isn't flowing through it (sleep) and when the battery (body) dies this is what we interpet as death but what is really lost is just a storage file of memories not the energy itself. anyway that's what i believe, your right we'll never now until it happens but i really like thinking about it.

--------------------

InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

Loc: Metropolis City, USA
    #2298946 - 02/04/04 12:03 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

if there is something then it will probably be a good place where we all can hopefully meet up with our passed friends and family. i've got a buddy that is there right now so hopefully he's getting comfortable and making room for me and all my other friends when we go.

if there is nothing when we die then it can't be bad because, well...it is nothing...you know?

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.
To engage in boisterous, drunken merrymaking.

OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

#2298999 - 02/04/04 12:18 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

The reason I don't really care to discuss life after death is because everyone's theories seem transparent in the sense that they are designed to serve a personal need.

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

InvisibleHelp on the Way
Slipknot420

Loc: Another World
    #2299001 - 02/04/04 12:19 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Dude this question drives me nuts. It's crazy because we are all here, and all alive. And we know that death is very real, we know that it happens, and we know it will one day happen to us. But it's crazy that NOBODY here really has any clue about it, even though some people say they are sure they know what happens, i dont know how they could unless they had already died.

I've had level 5 ego loss trips, which is interesting becaue it shows you what it can be to not be. Although i really dont know how similar death is to those because your body is alive the whole time. Right now my closest guess to what death is like is from what ive experienced on my ego loss trips, but i could be totally wrong.

Maybe the best way to see where we are headed is to examine where we've been coming from. What happened before we were born??? Why can't we truely remember anything before we were born? What was there? As far as i know, nothing. My universe was created when my life was created, and maybe the universe will end (or be completed) when i end. However, i cannot remember my birth either, and that doesnt mean it didn't happen. Maybe there was something going on before we were born, but it was just too different for us to understand in human state.

That's a very interesting battery idea. I've never thought about that before. I'm kind of confused about it though. Are we the energy that is powering the computer? So once we leave our memory of our life leaves, but we still are our souls or whatever, just existing in a different state?. Or are we the computer, and the energy running us is the energy of the universe, so once we die, we are gone forever and the energy returns to the universe. Or maybe both?

I dont know if this post made any sense.

--------------------
:shocked: *Divine Moments of Truth* :shocked:

"Limitless undying love which shines around me like a million suns - it calls me on and on across the universe" ~ John Lennon

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right" ~The Grateful Dead

"Religionists, with their guaranteed eventual paradise, of which they know nothing, taking it all on 'faith,' can't be expected to understand or sympathize with those with a yen to storm the Gate of Heaven and see for themselves what all the praying's about!" ~Robert Hunter

InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

Loc: Metropolis City, USA
Re: What happens when you die? [Re: Help on the Way]
    #2299049 - 02/04/04 12:28 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Slipknot420 said:
I dont know if this post made any sense.

perfect sense...everything you've said i have pondered...i just never put it into words.

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.
To engage in boisterous, drunken merrymaking.

InvisibleJohn
ssdp.org

Re: What happens when you die? [Re: Help on the Way]
    #2299196 - 02/04/04 01:18 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

That's a very interesting battery idea. I've never thought about that before. I'm kind of confused about it though. Are we the energy that is powering the computer?

what does we or I actually mean though? physically our body would be the computer and that could be interpited as we or I, but moreso i think actually life itself, like a "soul", not the physical body but just the life source would be considered the energy, in long term the body would really have no purpose other than a channel for the energy to flow and there really isn't such a thing as death as most see it as an end of everything or heaven or hell or whatever because nothing is actually dieing, the carrier has served it purpose and deteroiates but the source in which gave that carrier actual life cannot be destroyed, just like electricty cannot be made or destroyed, just channeled through diffrent means.

Quote:

So once we leave our memory of our life leaves, but we still are our souls or whatever, just existing in a different state?. Or are we the computer, and the energy running us is the energy of the universe, so once we die, we are gone forever and the energy returns to the universe. Or maybe both?

i think both kinda, but another thing to consider is how do you know your carrier didn't die yesterday and now you exsist as a diffrent form and tomorrow you might exist in my carrier and me in yours, like i was saying memory is stored by a computer even while the energy is not present by a battery, and bodys produce energy just like a battery allowing it to retain memories even though the energy is gone while we sleep, when we wake up we are restored with the energy and everything is normal all of our memories are intact yet we are running off a new source of energy. also about deja`vu when you feel as though you have been somewhere or saw something before but your mind says it's impossible because you had never been to that state/country/seen that program or whatever maybe it's because something profound happened to you there like if it's a street than maybe a carrier your energy was in, had died there in a horrible car wreck or something so it left an "imprint" by changing the frequency or something and these thoughts cannot be remembered by will alone since they are not part of your physical body, they are imprinted into your life source and can only be recalled by visually seening something or hearing something that triggers in our carrier the brain that produces that same frequency and we can recall it for a brief second even though we cannot fully understand what happened it just seem familar. I dunno these are just all my crazy thoughts.

Quote:

The reason I don't really care to discuss life after death is because everyone's theories seem transparent in the sense that they are designed to serve a personal need.

true enough like heaven where when you die your in a fantastic place with streets of gold and that kinda stuff i think is just a way for people who are afraid of death to be more comfortable since they believe when they die they will be in such bliss, alot of people couldn't handle life if they thought it had no point and death was actually the end of everything, they would be really scared. just about any therorys on what happens when you die ends in a happly ever after theme but the whole point of these therorys is to be comfortable of death and actually apperciate life without constant fear of when it's going to all end so of course they might be selfish but who cares if they accomplish there intended goal, i live my life without fear and am not afraid of dying at all, infact i'm anxious to figure out what really happens but i'll just wait till my time since i'm not so anxious to kill myself or anything. i like this attitude of embracing death rather than fighting it like some people screaming on there death beads terrified of dying, i just thought some others would have some cool ideas to contribute no matter how outrageous or self centered they may be i find it intersting to see how others precieve the ultimate question, and if they think about it as much as i do.

--------------------

InvisibleNariusFractal
Sat Chit Ananda
 User Gallery

Loc: USA
    #2299244 - 02/04/04 01:38 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I am enrolled in a class called "Life after death" that talks about this exact thing.

We just watched some documentaries and videos of doctors who have interviewed thousands of people who had NDE's while on the operating table or other disasters where they almost died or died then were brought back.

They most describe a feeling of warmth, love and patience. They often see dead ancestors and close ones. There is often times a journey into heaven or whatever they believe in. Most report having their whole lives flash before their eyes in a moment. Yet they feel everything that they felt in the moment and how they made others feel by their actions.

There is a common theme of a cosmic unity or oneness being experienced.

Most come out being less competitive afterwards, with a sense of compassion for all beings. Also with a greater appreciation of life. Less importance on the mundane, and more emphasis on love and compassion.

--------------------
You are the microcosm of the macrocosm.

InvisibleAnnapurna1
liberal pussy
Female User Gallery
Loc: innsmouth..MA
    #2299384 - 02/04/04 02:47 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

your brain..for those of us whom it is applicable..releases a shitload of DMT...and then ashwipe's goons kick the door down..and wave M-16s in your face..while the elves are humping your leg...

--------------------

"anchor blocks counteract the process of pontiprobation..while omalean globes regulize the pressure"...

Offlinexasino
Stranger
Loc: rochester,ny
    #2299401 - 02/04/04 03:01 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

as someone who realizes the value of empiricism-scientific method,the only thing i can offer is a bleak,"i dont know".

but as someone who experiences syncronicity,who has probably read the urantia book too many times,who appreciates that i have lived amongst good people who love-love for its own sake(whether or not death is the end),and just because i have a hunch--i believe we DO live in some form after our bodies die.

maybe this is just the kind of place a god would put a creation like us in,so that we might come into our own as a sovriegn being,i.e.,human beings are on a planet in the middle of 'infinity',facing mortality,so that the higher orders of beings can agree that we have worth-we,even in the face of pain and death,and the uncertainty of mortality-"is there a god", still can  recognize,and make a freewill choice,concerning the wonderment of the heavens,mind,AND the social value of ethical living.

If eye were god and i wanted to show all the 'angels',(the first archtypebeings that manifest just after god has 'willed' a universe,  immortal-and not subject to our conditions of existence?),that humans were of any worth as beings--I WOULD PUT THEM(us) ON A PLANET IN THE MIDDLE OF SPACE,AND LEAVE THEM TO THEIR OWN DEVICES.if you want to prove the intrinsic worth of a mortal human species,leave them on their own.i say that there :razz: :heartpump: is enough love evident here on earth,and enough personalities that have been willfully molded in accordance with the idea of love,that, to myself at least,the soul and immortality is somehow self evident.

but like i said at the beginning, I REALLY DONT KNOW  :loveeyes:

--------------------
either/or,and/or,both/and?

Offlinexasino
Stranger
Loc: rochester,ny
Re: What happens when you die? [Re: xasino]
    #2299424 - 02/04/04 03:18 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

(playingdevilsadvocateheAr)-and think about it.....if death is just the cessation of self-consciousness and being itself,then the only bad part is the pain which immediately precedes it----a big anti climax.
the poor folks who jumped out of the twin towers-what if,after they jumped, some of them reflected on all the good things they'd ever experienced in their lives,instead of focusing on the fright of plunging towards certain death? the millisecond any of them-you/me hit the ground-theres no time for self reflection,or to experience bodily pain-youre human body is dead-

--------------------
either/or,and/or,both/and?

OfflineVulture
Pursuer ofWisdom
 User Gallery

Loc: SC
Re: What happens when you die? [Re: xasino]
    #2299513 - 02/04/04 04:25 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

stuff you should read

tibetan book of the dead
god speaks - meher baba (its about the evolution of consiousness and the state of god before creation and all that jazz) < hard to wrap your head around but i felt like i was high as hell and getting higher with the reading of every sentance in that book.

--------------------
Work like you dont need the money.

Love like you never been hurt.

Dance like nobody is watching.

OfflineKremlin
life in E minor
Male User Gallery

Loc: /export/home/Kremlin
    #2299522 - 02/04/04 04:33 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

when we die, we rot.

in terms of saying that body & soul(mind) are 2 seperate things, the powers of sensation or perception and thought, as belonging to man, have never been found but in conjunction with a certain organized system of matter; and therefore, that those powers necessarily exist in, and depend upon, such a system.

Nothing but a precise and definite knowledge of the nature of perception and thought can authorize any person to affirm whether they may not belong to an extended substance which has also the properties of attraction and repulsion (since our material world operates on those bases)

We ought to conclude that the whole man is material unless it should appear that he has some powers or properties that are absolutely incompatible with matter.

A little Joseph Priestly...

The burden of proof rests on the believers that we are simply more than a biologic being.

--------------------
"Human suffering has been caused because all too many of us cannot grasp that words are only tools for our use, and that the mere presence of a word in the dictionary does not mean it necessarily refers to something definitive in the real world"
--Richard Dawkins, "The Selfish Gene"

"It is the mind which creates the world about us, and even though we stand side by side in the same meadow, my eyes will never see what is beheld by yours."
-George Gissing

"Without a firm idea of himself and the purpose of his life, man cannot live, and would sooner destroy himself than remain on earth, even if he was surrounded by bread."
--Fyodor Dostoevsky

Offlinelostsuitcase
...missing

Loc: mid-air?
Re: What happens when you die? [Re: Kremlin]
    #2299568 - 02/04/04 05:12 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

nothing happens when you die, you become non-existant, your energy and matter get broken down into the soil and become different things through time, you mind....which is all that makes "you" ceases to exist.

or maybe it becomes its own self-contained universe.

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
    #2299771 - 02/04/04 08:50 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

when asked "what happens to the arhat upon death?'
the buddha maintained a noble silence...

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology