Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: Birth of a Skeptic [Re: Evolving]
    #2300475 - 02/04/04 11:59 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Don't expect a straight answer as some are too busy bashing to actually join in the discussion.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
Re: Birth of a Skeptic [Re: ]
    #2300486 - 02/04/04 12:01 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Mr_Mushrooms said:
Seriously though, I think it all comes down to how the message is conveyed, who it is addressed to, and what the intention of the speaker is.

Intentions are often difficult to know.

Quote:

It is no coincidence that a synonym of 'skeptic' is cynic.

Not in the dictionaries I've looked at. What is your source?

Quote:

Currently the rules of this forum prohibit "sneers and sarcasm" because they do not really offer anything substantive to a discussion. Their intent is to hurt or arouse negative emotions.

How do you divine the intentions of someone who uses sarcasm? Are you basing this on your own use of sarcasm? Can't sarcasm merely be an attempt at humor, where the intent is to make others laugh?

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

Loc: there
    #2300535 - 02/04/04 12:18 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

hey, anyone want to play the synonym game? :laugh:

it's kinda like the six degrees of seperation game...
take two words, a thesaurus and go crazy!
you can connect any two words using synonyms

here I'll start

love:
adore
respect
reverence
amazement
astonishment
shock
upset
offend
insult
abuse
cruelty
malice
hatred
hate
:eek:

(source: MS Word thesaurus)

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
Re: Birth of a Skeptic [Re: infidelGOD]
    #2300716 - 02/04/04 12:55 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

And now you know how to properly contort another's words to suit your own selfish needs.
"I see... so by 'love,' you really meant 'hate'!!"

Also, what's with all the labels?
Can a person be skeptical without being labeled a "skeptic"? Yes.
Can a person believe something without being labeled a "believer"? Yes.

I'm here with an open mind to share with open minds. Though it seems as if it might be impossible as some people take these discussions a bit too seriously and get offended at the slightest hint of sarcasm.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.... I've not ONCE been offended here on these boards and I've been insulted many times and threatened many times (by several "open minded" posters). Is it because I've got a thicker shell than others? Nope. Is it because I'm riding the tallest horse in the stable? Nope. Then why is it that I refuse to take offense at these WORDS?

Maybe it's because I've got nothing to prove. Maybe it's because I'm not looking for that perfect rock on which I can build my house of cards. Or maybe it's because I just can't stop laughing after hearing the ultimate punchline: "why?"

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
Re: Birth of a Skeptic [Re: Swami]
    #2300728 - 02/04/04 12:57 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

MM: For to be a seeker is to be the opposite of a skeptic.

4 entries found for seeker.
seek?er P Pronunciation Key (s k r) n.

1. One that seeks: a seeker of the truth.

2. A device used in a moving object, especially a missile, that locates a target by detecting light, heat, or other radiation.
[Download or Buy Now]

Source: The American Heritage? Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright ? 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
seeker

\Seek"er\, n. 1. One who seeks; that which is used in seeking or searching.

2. (Eccl.) One of a small heterogeneous sect of the 17th century, in Great Britain, who professed to be seeking the true church, ministry, and sacraments.

A skeptic [is] ever seeking and never finds, like our new upstart sect of Seekers. --Bullokar.

Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, ? 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

seeker
n : someone making a search or inquiry; "they are seekers after truth" [syn: searcher]

Source: WordNet ? 1.6, ? 1997 Princeton University

6 entries found for skeptic.
scep?tic P Pronunciation Key (sk p t k)
n.
Variant of skeptic.

[Download or Buy Now]
Source: The American Heritage? Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition

skep?tic also scep?tic P Pronunciation Key (sk p t k)
n.
1. One who instinctively or habitually doubts, questions, or disagrees with assertions or generally accepted conclusions.

2. One inclined to skepticism in religious matters.

3. Philosophy.

a. often Skeptic An adherent of a school of skepticism.
b. Skeptic A member of an ancient Greek school of skepticism, especially that of Pyrrho of Elis (360?-272? B.C.).

Latin Scepticus, disciple of Pyrrho of Elis, from Greek Skeptikos, from skeptesthai, to examine. See spek- in Indo-European Roots.]

[Download or Buy Now]

skeptic
\Skep"tic\, n. [Gr. skeptiko`s thoughtful, reflective, fr. ske`ptesqai to look carefully or about, to view, consider: cf. L. scepticus, F. sceptique. See Scope.] [Written also sceptic.] 1. One who is yet undecided as to what is true; one who is looking or inquiring for what is true; an inquirer after facts or reasons.

skeptic
\Skep"tic\, Skeptical \Skep"tic*al\, a. [Written also sceptic, sceptical.] 1. Of or pertaining to a sceptic or skepticism; characterized by skepticism; hesitating to admit the certainly of doctrines or principles; doubting of everything.

2. (Theol.) Doubting or denying the truth of revelation, or the sacred Scriptures.

The skeptical system subverts the whole foundation of morals. --R. Hall. -- Skep\"tac*al*ly, adv. -- Skep\"tic*al*ness, n.

skeptic
n : someone who habitually doubts accepted beliefs [syn: sceptic, doubter]
Source: WordNet ? 1.6, ? 1997 Princeton University

--------------------------------------
I don?t think there is much of a difference between a ?skeptic? and a ?seeker?, really. Some of us might more strongly shake the truth out than others of us.

I am the type to accept something someone says until someone or something else comes along and shows me why it?s wrong, or right. I keep looking. I don?t always like having my beliefs shaken up, because as someone said, I like the comfort of my beliefs. But I would rather know the truth than be comfortable.

Then there are the true skeptics, who don?t really seem to accept anything as the truth, but are always looking for the puppeteer?s hand for an explanation. We need these people because they more vociferously look for the truth and point it out.

I like skeptics, although sometimes I want to kick them in the nuts. I like skeptics because I tend to be gullible and na?ve. I tend to accept things at word-value, because of how my brain works. But skeptics help clear up the bullshit for me, so I appreciate them even more.

Swami, I think it?s funny that the girl ran away crying. Like someone else posted, she was probably embarrassed or something that she believed the bullshit. If I hear someone talking about something that I know is bullshit, I will comment on what I know, as well. If they want to pursue it further, I will explain it to them. If they run away screaming, so be it. Shows me where that person is at in his/her growth cycle.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

Invisiblemr crisper

Re: Birth of a Skeptic [Re: Swami]
    #2301345 - 02/04/04 02:54 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

swami, have you ever met this person since that day?
if so, how did you get along? did she still hate you?
i had a good laugh reading your story.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Birth of a Skeptic [Re: mr crisper]
    #2301770 - 02/04/04 04:45 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

She ignored me for the rest of her stay and I never saw her again after we left Ananda.

--------------------

Anonymous

#2301790 - 02/04/04 04:50 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

Anonymous

Re: Birth of a Skeptic [Re: Frog]
    #2301806 - 02/04/04 04:56 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

#2301935 - 02/04/04 05:42 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Mr_Mushrooms said:
That's all well and good, Frog.

However, it is common for women who have been abused to be unable to detect abuse. Ding ding?

I generally miss things because I need to be directly hit over the head even before I get a joke.

So, on that note, what does "However, it is common for women who have been abused to be unable to detect abuse. Ding ding?", as you stated above, mean???

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
    #2301991 - 02/04/04 05:54 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

It means that Mr_Mushrooms, as nice as he thinks he is, is trying press your buttons (probably for agreeing with Swami in some way).

I find it hilarious that THIS:
MM: And I don't waste my time twiddling my thumbs trying to see how best to goad someone.
Is directly followed by THIS:
MM: That's all well and good, Frog.
However, it is common for women who have been abused to be unable to detect abuse. Ding ding?

Evolving: Intentions are often difficult to know.
MM: In the meantime courts have no problem with assigning blame and motive to guilty people. I guess intentions might not be as difficult to arrive at as it seems.

Hmm...
I don't see how someone chastising MM for not keeping his word is the same as a "death threat." Everybody who has read his silly "Help Me!" thread knows the story of his paranoiac overreaction and yet he still thinks he is more than adept at reading intent?

There's a whole lot of internal incoherence going on here... but will the machine break or fix itself?

--------------------

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Re: Birth of a Skeptic [Re: Sclorch]
    #2302043 - 02/04/04 06:05 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I'm hoping that I am only mistaking Mr Mushrooms' words for evidence that he is now going after me, so I thought I'd clarify first.

MM, would you care to explain what you meant?

--------------------

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

Loc: there
    #2302065 - 02/04/04 06:11 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

that's a good point (about the help me thread), maybe some people confuse projected intent (mind reading) with what was actually intended.
Evolving is right, intent is hard to read, especially online. but it doesn't stop some from assuming the worst in people.

frog: MM, would you care to explain what you meant?

it's called "fishing", a common tactic employed by mind readers...
actually I have NO idea what that was supposed to mean.
I thought he was outing you or something.
he had no qualms about breaking his trust with Swami.
/shrugs

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Birth of a Skeptic [Re: infidelGOD]
    #2302111 - 02/04/04 06:21 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I am not sure, but it could be yet another case of attempting to hurt someone (in a loving spiritual way to show them the light) by revealing personal stuff shared in confidence. I sincerely hope not though. I will readily admit that intent is hard to determine by a few words.

--------------------

Edited by Swami (02/04/04 06:37 PM)

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
    #2302149 - 02/04/04 06:29 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Maybe hes referring to the fact of co-dependency, we have had this discussion before on families and the like. This also had some discussion with alcoholism i believe.

Ding Ding? AKA ring a bell? I think thats what he meant.

Whats going on around here? i sense bitterness sclorch... hmmmmm.

--------------------
What?

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Birth of a Skeptic [Re: Zero7a1]
    #2302270 - 02/04/04 07:02 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Nope... no bitterness. Being bitter takes waaaay too much effort.

It's more like a swarm of gnats... they fly in your ears, nose, and eyes... they don't hurt you, but damn are they incessantly annoying.

So I took a swat... so what?

--------------------

Anonymous

#2302606 - 02/04/04 08:35 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Anonymous

#2302609 - 02/04/04 08:36 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Anonymous

#2302633 - 02/04/04 08:42 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
    #2302650 - 02/04/04 08:47 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I bet you were teacher's pet.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order