Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibletrollbaby
slackster

Loc: State of Delusion
safe way to add water
    #2295775 - 02/02/04 10:12 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

noob ? here...  2 jars cambodian cubensis in birdseed going,  syringe was frozen solid and leaking  when it arrived, got the needle glowing, and used a whole syringe on four jars in case some of the spores croaked. first two had green mold, but the second batch are both going nicely. only problem is, there are a few patchs of seed that are dry, and are not colonizing. all the spots with moisture have thick ropey strands of mycelium. is there a safe way to add water to the jars? can i fill a syringe with boiling water and squirt it in once it cools? or should i just let it go until its safe to case the contents?  :confused:

--------------------
hope i never hear surf music again...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBen_Stein
Spelling Gestapo

Loc: Hooterville
Re: safe way to add water [Re: trollbaby]
    #2296172 - 02/03/04 12:52 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I say just shake 'em up and hope for the best. If need be, you can always shit-can the uncolonized parts when casing. I'm not a big fan of attempting re-hydrating colonizing jars, particularly grains. It is likely to cause worse problems than you have now.

You either had the moisture incorrect from the start or you are losing some through your filter. Are you using polyfil or tyvek?
Large tyvek-filtered openings will tend to dry out jars rather quickly. If this applies to you, try reducing the size of the vent with tape.

--------------------
I'm so ready to start growing. I've shroomed twice and loved it to no extent. --Mindgames

Invisibletrollbaby
slackster

Re: safe way to add water [Re: Ben_Stein]
    #2296526 - 02/03/04 06:09 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

i gave them a good shakin. yeah i'm pretty sure i pooched the moisture content but there seems to be plenty of moisture in the jars yet. i want to try a g2g transfer once the jars are safe to open. i'm pleasantly suprised with my results so far, considering i didn't really know what the heck i was doing when i started these.  :crazy2:

--------------------

Anonymous

#2296532 - 02/03/04 06:15 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I sometimes get spots in millet that just won't colonize(usually on the bottom) even when the moisture content is high....I just case it all.....no problems as of yet :smile:

Invisibletrollbaby
slackster

Re: safe way to add water [Re: ]
    #2296545 - 02/03/04 06:24 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

doing ok considering i started out with a pickle jar, a mayo jar, polyfill from a singing mouse, a frozen syringe, and birdseed leftover form a long dead finch LOL :nut:

--------------------

OfflineBen_Stein
Spelling Gestapo

#2296932 - 02/03/04 09:56 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

trollbaby said:
doing ok considering i started out with a pickle jar, a mayo jar, polyfill from a singing mouse, a frozen syringe, and birdseed leftover form a long dead finch LOL :nut:

Yes, indeed!  Sounds like you've already beat the odds.

G2G is a good idea to really stretch what you've got.
Way to go, TB!  :cool:

--------------------
I'm so ready to start growing. I've shroomed twice and loved it to no extent. --Mindgames

Invisibletrollbaby
slackster

#2297927 - 02/03/04 03:41 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

just call me "Mushguyver" harharhar o god somebody hit me lol

--------------------

Invisibletrollbaby
slackster

#2297950 - 02/03/04 03:46 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

well, after the shaking both jars have big balls of seed and mycelium rolling around loose. could i just prepare some new jars and carefully plop a few of these lumps in? i will try to get some pics up. im mighty pleased with myself considering a few weeks ago i just decided to grow my own shroomies.

--------------------

OfflineBen_Stein
Spelling Gestapo

#2298744 - 02/03/04 07:51 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Give 'em some time to recuperate. The idea is to let more colonized parts come into contact with the uncolonized.

How long have these jars been colonizing, anyway?

--------------------

Invisibletrollbaby
slackster

#2298790 - 02/03/04 09:03 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

they have been going for 10 days now, the mycelium seems almost sold through out, almost all the seed is in big balls and clumps, solid with mycelium. i'm thinking i will need to case them soon. the only uncolonized seed is the loose dry seed, and there's not really as much as thought before i gave em a good shaking. i'm gonna try casing them using two large plastic jugs i have (a preztel jug and a dog biscuit jug) they both have tight fitting tops and huge necks. the smaller of the two is about 20" high and 12" wide with a 8" neck. think this will work? :confused:

--------------------

Edited by trollbaby (02/03/04 09:06 PM)

Invisibletrollbaby
slackster

#2310779 - 02/07/04 02:03 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

\ anyway this is the set up i came up with, i cased them with 50/50 potting soil, so far so good

--------------------

Edited by trollbaby (02/07/04 10:44 PM)

InvisibleJared
Stranger
Folding@home Statistics
    #2310824 - 02/07/04 02:29 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

You'll want to wrap the bottom of that container in tape, to block light, otherwise you'll have mushrooms growing from the sides, and messing everything up!! :blush:

Invisibletrollbaby
slackster

Re: safe way to add water [Re: Jared]
    #2310880 - 02/07/04 02:54 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

yeah, i have em wrapped in foil, sitting on top of my water heater. i don't really have room for a big setup, and i don't really want a ton of shrooms laying around. this is just something i did to see if i could do it lol

Edited by trollbaby (02/07/04 02:57 AM)

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
    #2311012 - 02/07/04 04:46 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

just so you know the foil will allow light to reflect to the lower portion of the jar...

Invisibletrollbaby
slackster

Re: safe way to add water [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #2311691 - 02/07/04 01:06 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

yeah i thought of that, i just cut the legs of a old pair of black sweats lol, they make good sleeves for the jugs, i don't want to paint them or cover them with tape just so i can peek in and look for contams.

--------------------

Invisibletrollbaby
slackster

#2313149 - 02/07/04 10:37 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

hey i didn't realize it but you can see the singing mouse behind the left jug... he sways back and forth and airplanes his arms and sings "off we go, into the wild blue yonderrrr..."

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder