Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlineenotake2
Stop Bush's war
 User Gallery

Loc: Comfy chair in my lounger...
Project for New American Century - global military dominance
    #2290348 - 01/31/04 06:30 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Rebuilding America's Defenses

This document "a strategic framework for U.S. defense planning", published one year before the events of Septemer 11, is detatched from any talk about terrorism or propaganda to make the objectives outlined in this document pallatible to the public. The document is written by Robert Kagan,deputy national security advisor to Dick Cheney, and membership of PNAC includes Paul Wolfowitz and other neoconservatives. See here for PNAC membership . Let me take some quotes

"ESTABLISH FOUR CORE MISSIONS for U.S. military forces:
? defend the American homeland;
? fight and decisively win multiple, simultaneous major theater wars;
? perform the ?constabulary? duties associated with shaping the security environment in critical regions;
? transform U.S. forces to exploit the ?revolution in military affairs;?....
INCREASE DEFENSE SPENDING gradually to a minimum level of 3.5 to 3.8 percent of gross
domestic product, adding $15 billion to $20 billion to total defense spending annually."

"The history of the 20th century should have taught us that it is important to shape circumstances before crises emerge, and to meet threats before they become dire. The history of the past century should have taught us to embrace the cause of American leadership.? eg. pre-emptive strikes?

"At present the United States faces no global rival. America?s grand strategy should aim to preserve and extend this advantageous position as far into the future as possible."

"Without a well-conceived defense policy and an appropriate increase in defense spending, the United States has been letting its ability to take full advantage of the remarkable strategic opportunity at hand slip
away.....We started from the premise that U.S. military capabilities should be sufficient to support an American grand strategy committed to building upon this unprecedented opportunity."

"The true cost of not meeting our defense requirements will be a lessened capacity for American global leadership and, ultimately, the loss of a global security order that is uniquely friendly to American principles and prosperity." (but how friendly to other countries?)

"the range of missions demanded by U.S. global leadership [include]: defending the homeland, fighting and winning multiple large-scale wars, conducting constabulary missions [instituting armed police forces organised like a military unit] which preserve the current peace, and transforming the U.S. armed forces to exploit the ?revolution in military affairs."

"Further, these constabulary missions are far more complex and likely to generate violence than traditional ?peacekeeping? missions. For one, they demand American political leadership rather than that of the United Nations, as the failure of the UN mission in the Balkans and the relative success of NATO operations there attests. Nor can the United States assume a UN-like stance of neutrality; the preponderance of American power is so great and its global interests so wide that it cannot pretend to be indifferent to the political outcome in the Balkans, the Persian Gulf or even when it deploys forces in Africa. "

"In addition, the process of transformation must proceed from an appreciation of American strategy and political goals. For example, as the leader of a global network of alliances and strategic partnerships, U.S. armed forces cannot retreat into a ?Fortress America.? Thus, while long-range precision strikes will certainly play an increasingly large role in U.S. military operations, American forces must remain deployed abroad, in large numbers. To remain as the leader of a variety of coalitions, the United States must partake in the risks its allies face; security guarantees that depend solely upon power projected from the continental United States will inevitably become discounted." ie not only meet the primary goal of projecting power but fight other countries wars provided doing so meets america's political and strategic goals.

Those quotes are from the first 14 of 90 pages but the document goes on to talk about fighting a 'unipolar war', asserting power across the world, remaining unchallenged as the world's only superpower and attaining global military dominance and protecting American 'interests'. Woo hoo. What a farce. No wonder the American govt is perceived as the selfish bully boy by the rest of the world. I'm disgusted that the Australian Gov't supports this plan in my name and uses my tax dollars, illegally bringing it to fruition in the form of the Iraq war while preparing for the next attack.

See more discussion of PNAC here by John PIlger

--------------------
Computer games don't affect kids. I mean if Pacman affected our generation as kids, we'd all be running around in a darkened room, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music.

"Being bitter and hateful is like drinking a vial of poison and hoping the other person gets sick" FreakQLibrium

"My motto from here on out is: If someone or something (including me) in my life is conducting themselves in such a way that they can be seen on Jerry Springer, it's time to take out the garbage!!! When you stop taking their behaviour personally and see their antics as a true reflection on their character, it becomes absolutely nauseating." Anon. on abusive relationships.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
Re: Project for New American Century - global military dominance [Re: enotake2]
    #2290383 - 01/31/04 06:51 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

The original form of that document was written back in 1992 by Paul Wolfowitz himself. When a draft copy was leaked to the press they went apeshit over it, as I hear it was quite a bit more offensive. Immediately they took Wolfowitz off as writer and had Dick Cheney re-write it so it would be more "public friendly" and wouldn't look so bad.

The whole thing got swept under the carpet. Then eight years later the PNAC puts out this "new" document which is basically a word-for-word copy of Wolfowitz's original report.

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

InvisibleAnnapurna1
liberal pussy
Female User Gallery
Loc: innsmouth..MA
    #2290429 - 01/31/04 07:11 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Rebuilding America's Defenses

the smoking gun can be found on p.63...

--------------------

"anchor blocks counteract the process of pontiprobation..while omalean globes regulize the pressure"...

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
Re: Project for New American Century - global military dominance [Re: Annapurna1]
    #2290434 - 01/31/04 07:14 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...;o=&fpart=1

An earlier post of mine about that little gem on p.63 ...

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

OfflineSnobrdr311
outdoorenthusiast
 User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Re: Project for New American Century - global military dominance [Re: trendal]
    #2291008 - 02/01/04 01:35 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

It's amazing how liberal most of you people here are, and how sharply I contrast to much of your ideals..

I don't see anything wrong with this document at all, it's just about national defense and it being supreme, that's all. It's not saying we should go to war with every country in the world all at once.

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #2291010 - 02/01/04 01:37 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

One of the only good things about Iraq now being such a clusterfuck is that it seems to have loosened the grip of the "crazies" in the whitehouse. With their judgement being so wildly wrong on Iraq it could be harder for them to invade anywhere else.

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: Project for New American Century - global military domin [Re: Snobrdr311]
    #2291240 - 02/01/04 05:19 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Snobrdr311 makes sense.

This PNAC document has been quoted and linked in this forum several dozen times already. If there isn't a new post about it every two weeks or so I start to wonder if the world has ended without my knowledge or something. It's bigger "news" in this forum than O.J. Simpson's trial was in America.

At any rate, I have read and re-read it many times to try to figure out just what it is that gets so many people so riled up, and (like snobrdr) in the end I just shrug. It's no big deal. It's not a gameplan for global military conquest or anything of the sort.

Just what's the big deal? Why do all the neo-coms have their knickers in a knot over this?

pinky

--------------------

Offlineenotake2
Stop Bush's war
 User Gallery

Loc: Comfy chair in my lounger...
Re: Project for New American Century - global military domin [Re: Phred]
    #2291252 - 02/01/04 05:42 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

pinksharkmark said:
It's not a gameplan for global military conquest or anything of the sort.

If that is not what it is, then what is it?

Snobrdr we are talking about mass murder for a purely politically motive. You don't see a problem with that? There are many other ways to negotiate peace other than fighting wars. International law dictates that the other ways should be tried first and then war should be tried as a last resort, but this document states as a priority defense objective fighting multiple simultaneous theatre wars this century.

--------------------
Computer games don't affect kids. I mean if Pacman affected our generation as kids, we'd all be running around in a darkened room, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music.

"Being bitter and hateful is like drinking a vial of poison and hoping the other person gets sick" FreakQLibrium

"My motto from here on out is: If someone or something (including me) in my life is conducting themselves in such a way that they can be seen on Jerry Springer, it's time to take out the garbage!!! When you stop taking their behaviour personally and see their antics as a true reflection on their character, it becomes absolutely nauseating." Anon. on abusive relationships.

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: Project for New American Century - global military domin [Re: enotake2]
    #2291289 - 02/01/04 06:36 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

International law dictates that the other ways should be tried first and then war should be tried as a last resort

It's even worse than that - pre-emptive war is considered the "supreme international crime".

In 1946, the Nuremberg Tribunal rejected German arguments of the necessity for preemptive attacks against its neighbors and instead outlawed preventive war as a crime against the peace. In the Tribunal's judgment:

"To initiate a war of aggression, therefore, is not only an international crime; it is the supreme international crime differing only from other war crimes in that it contains within itself the accumulated evil of the whole."

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Loc: London UK
Re: Project for New American Century - global military domin [Re: Phred]
    #2291422 - 02/01/04 09:29 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

It's not a gameplan for global military conquest or anything of the sort.

From the PNAC statement of principles:

Quote:

conservatives have not confidently advanced a strategic vision of America's role in the world. They have not set forth guiding principles for American foreign policy. They have allowed differences over tactics to obscure potential agreement on strategic objectives. And they have not fought for a defense budget that would maintain American security and advance American interests in the new century.

So to advance American interests in the new century they want to spend more money on defense. Surely in this context it really should be referred to as the offense budget.

Quote:

We aim to change this. We aim to make the case and rally support for American global leadership.

Hmm American global leadership through an increase in spending on weapons.

Quote:

Such a Reaganite policy of military strength and moral clarity may not be fashionable today. But it is necessary if the United States is to build on the successes of this past century and to ensure our security and our greatness in the next.

Sounds exactly like a gameplan for global military domination/leadership to me.

Statement of Principles

--------------------
Always Smi2le

InvisibleTrueBrode
Stranger

Re: Project for New American Century - global military dominance [Re: Snobrdr311]
    #2291470 - 02/01/04 10:06 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

It's amazing how liberal most of you people here are, and how sharply I contrast to much of your ideals

This is what I absolutely can't stand. If you don't like Bush, you're considered a crazy liberal and that's you're answer for everything. What the fuck do ideals have to do with this? I guess your ideals are war mongering based on expansion and resources-is that what I should assume?

Just because the document is written in a conditional manner, doesn't make it some harmless contigency plan. The fact that it's being carried out by Bush's administration- by members of the think-tank- should at least lead you to some kind of conclusion. Now if you like the plan for U.S. world domination, then just say so.

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
Re: Project for New American Century - global military dominance [Re: TrueBrode]
    #2291586 - 02/01/04 11:14 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I like the plan for US world domination...

just not in it's current implementation.

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

Invisibletimetravel
I'm going toMars!

Loc: Holland
    #2292787 - 02/01/04 10:36 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Whats wrong with the plan is that the usa is not the most powerful country in the world. China and Russia can destroy the world just as easily as the usa can. If it was a world without nukes the usa could get away with just about anything. But its not that kind of world. Following a game plan that that allows preemptive attacks is opening the door to be attacked first. Makes me wonder what russia is up to. Are they going to strike the usa? Most likely not. But there could be an "accident." More than half the world would shut their mouths or not really give a dam if they did. After all thats what happens when you play with nukes, attack countries at will, and lay plans for world domination. Life would go on.

(01-30) 22:34 PST MOSCOW (AP) --

Russia's nuclear forces reportedly are preparing their largest maneuvers in two decades, an exercise involving the test-firing of missiles and flights by dozens of bombers in a massive simulation of an all-out nuclear war.

President Vladimir Putin is expected to personally oversee the maneuvers, which are apparently aimed at demonstrating the revival of the nation's military might and come ahead of Russian elections in March.

The business newspaper Kommersant said the exercise was set for mid-February and would closely resemble a 1982 Soviet exercise dubbed the "seven-hour nuclear war" that put the West on edge.

Official comments on the upcoming exercise have been sketchy. The chief of Russia's Strategic Missile Forces, Col.-Gen. Nikolai Solovtsov, was quoted by the Interfax-Military News Agency as saying the planned maneuvers would involve several launches of intercontinental ballistic missiles in various regions of Russia, but he wouldn't give further details.

A Defense Ministry spokesman refused to comment on the reports. The Russian military typically says little about upcoming exercises.

In Washington, the State Department said it has seen reports that Russia has plans to conduct the exercises in February. The department also said Russia is obliged to notify the United States 24 hours before a missile test and has done so in the past.

Kommersant said the maneuvers would involve Tu-160 strategic bombers test-firing cruise missiles over the northern Atlantic. Analysts describe such an exercise as an imitation of a nuclear attack on the United States.

Other groups of bombers will fly over Russia's Arctic regions and test-fire missiles at a southern range near the Caspian Sea, the newspaper said.

As part of the exercise, the military is planning to conduct several launches of intercontinental ballistic missiles, including one from a Russian nuclear submarine in the Barents Sea, the Kommersant report said.

The military also plans to launch military satellites from the Baikonur cosmodrome in Kazakhstan and the Plesetsk launch pad in northern Russia -- a simulation of the replacement of satellites lost in action, Kommersant said.

Russia's system warning of an enemy missile attack and a missile defense system protecting Moscow will also be involved in the exercise, it added.

Pavel Felgenhauer, an independent military analyst, said the military has regularly held nuclear exercises that were timed to coincide with the annual test-firing of aging Soviet-built missiles.

"It has been a routine affair, but it can be expanded if they want a show," he said.

Ivan Safranchuk, head of the Moscow office of the Center for Defense Information, a Washington-based think-tank, said the maneuvers would further strengthen Putin's popularity ahead of the March 14 presidential election he is expected to win easily.

Putin has repeatedly pledged to rebuild Russia's military might and restore pride to the demoralized service. When he ran for his first term in 2000, he flew as a second pilot in a fighter jet and later donned naval officer's garb on a visit to a nuclear submarine -- images that played well with many voters who are nostalgic for Soviet global power and military prestige.

"This exercise will make a great show, with Putin receiving reports from military commanders," Safranchuk told The Associated Press.

Kommersant said Moscow had notified Washington about the exercise, describing it as part of efforts to fend off terror threats even though it imitates the Cold War scenario of an all-out war.

"The exercise follows the old scenario, and casting it as anti-terror is absurd," Safranchuk said.

Putin's support for the United States following the Sept. 11, 2001 terror attacks bolstered relations with Washington and helped broker a new U.S.-Russian nuclear arms reduction deal and a Russia-NATO partnership agreement in 2002.

But the U.S.-Russian honeymoon has soured lately over Moscow's criticism of the war in Iraq , U.S. concerns about authoritarian trends in the Kremlin's domestic policy, and Russia's perceived attempts to assert its authority over ex-Soviet neighbors.

?2004 Associated Press

Experts Warn of Accidental U.S., Russian Missile Launches

By David Ruppe
Global Security Newswire

WASHINGTON ? The United States and Russia unnecessarily continue to maintain thousands of strategic nuclear missiles on high alert for mutual deterrence, heightening the possibility of a catastrophic, unintended launch, an expert said this week at a nuclear arms control conference here.

?All of the thousands of U.S. and Russian launch-ready weapons only represent an accident waiting to happen and a temptation to terrorists to gain control over them,? said Center for Defense Information President Bruce Blair, speaking Sunday at a conference sponsored by the Nuclear Policy Research Institute (see GSN, Jan. 26).

Blair said U.S. early warning and decision-making procedures and the weapons themselves have been kept on a ?hair trigger.?

When U.S. satellites detect a possible rocket launch, U.S. crews at the North American Aerospace Defense Command near Colorado Springs, Colo., have only three minutes to determine if the incident is an actual missile attack or a nonmilitary event, such as a space launch, wildfire or solar reflection off of oceans or clouds, he said. Such nonmilitary events occur daily, he said.

If a strike is suspected, then the president and his top advisers convene a telephone briefing during which an officer is given 30 seconds to brief the president on his retaliatory options and their consequences, he said.

The president then would have a few minutes to select his response to ensure that U.S. nuclear attacks could be effectively launched by underground and undersea crews minutes later, Blair said.

The majority of U.S. missiles ? deployed on land, in the air and at sea ? are intended for mutual deterrence against a Russian or U.S. attack, a situation Blair said has been unnecessary since the end of the Cold War.

?The dirty little secret of America?s current nuclear policy is that 99 percent of the nuclear weapons budget, planning, targeting, and operational activities still revolves around this one anachronistic scenario,? he said.

?The rationale is a throwback to the Cold War, but however absurd, it still is the axis of current nuclear operations,? he said.

?Scratch Russia from the list of enemies, as it should be, and all justification for maintaining a large U.S. nuclear arsenal evaporates,? Blair said.

Blair and other experts charged that the size of the current U.S. arsenal was kept unnecessarily large in part because of persisting Cold War suspicions within the U.S. military and also because of institutional inertia.

?A small fraction of the current U.S. arsenal of 10,650 bombs would amply cover all plausible nuclear threats to the American homeland, U.S. allies and interests overseas, if only the idea of fighting a large-scale nuclear war with Russia received the ridicule it deserves,? Blair said.

--------------------
Everything in this post happened 7 years ago. If you do not feel good get a hobby like r/c airplane flying.

InvisibleAnnapurna1
liberal pussy
Female User Gallery
Loc: innsmouth..MA
Re: Project for New American Century - global military dominance [Re: timetravel]
    #2292903 - 02/01/04 11:42 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

its called overkill...it doesnt matter that we own 70% of the world's firepower..because the other 30% is still enough to destroy the world several times...our much vaunt military supremacy is an illusion...

OfflineSnobrdr311
outdoorenthusiast
 User Gallery

Re: Project for New American Century - global military dominance [Re: TrueBrode]
    #2296047 - 02/02/04 11:58 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

TrueBrode said:
It's amazing how liberal most of you people here are, and how sharply I contrast to much of your ideals

This is what I absolutely can't stand. If you don't like Bush, you're considered a crazy liberal and that's you're answer for everything. What the fuck do ideals have to do with this? I guess your ideals are war mongering based on expansion and resources-is that what I should assume?

Just because the document is written in a conditional manner, doesn't make it some harmless contigency plan. The fact that it's being carried out by Bush's administration- by members of the think-tank- should at least lead you to some kind of conclusion. Now if you like the plan for U.S. world domination, then just say so.

Dude, don't get upset, and that's not what it says. It's about ideals 100%, plain and simple. What I was saying is that I contrast with liberal ideals, yes, I do.. so what? Bush is conservative, if you don't like his policies or philosophies then you're not a conservative and most likely a liberal.

Most of you here have liberal ideals and philosophies, all I was saying is i'm suprised how much I contrast from a lot of you, what's the problem? No one is allowed to disagree with you without you getting upset?

And the Bush administration isn't trying to dominate the world, we have dominated the world since the fall of the Soviet Union in 1989, from a Military aspect anyway, which is a good thing.

Some of you people act like you really have an idea what kind of firepower we really have, i'd be willing to bet it really isn't much more than a lot of other countries.. like China for example, or even the UK or Russia.

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: Project for New American Century - global military dominance [Re: Snobrdr311]
    #2296078 - 02/03/04 12:07 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

If we are to be the leader of the world, we should lead by example, not by force.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

OfflineSnobrdr311
outdoorenthusiast
 User Gallery

Re: Project for New American Century - global military dominance [Re: silversoul7]
    #2296090 - 02/03/04 12:12 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I agree, but sometimes force is necessary to protect our people from attacks, I don't want to die in an attack, do you? Do you think the 3,500 people who died on 9/11 would be agreeing with you if they could speak from the dead?

Saddam has proven himself to be a threat and a loose cannon by his actions in the past, having him in power is a liability the world just can't take.

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #2296126 - 02/03/04 12:28 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

I agree, but sometimes force is necessary to protect our people from attacks, I don't want to die in an attack, do you? Do you think the 3,500 people who died on 9/11 would be agreeing with you if they could speak from the dead?

I agree. Bush should've paid better attention to the warnings and prevented such an attack.

Quote:

Saddam has proven himself to be a threat and a loose cannon by his actions in the past, having him in power is a liability the world just can't take.

I don't see how he's any more dangerous than any other dictator in that region, including some of our allies(*cough* Saudi Arabia *cough*).

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

OfflineSnobrdr311
outdoorenthusiast
 User Gallery

Re: Project for New American Century - global military dominance [Re: silversoul7]
    #2296144 - 02/03/04 12:39 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

silversoul7 said:
Quote:

I agree. Bush should've paid better attention to the warnings and prevented such an attack.

Quote:

I don't see how he's any more dangerous than any other dictator in that region, including some of our allies(*cough* Saudi Arabia *cough*).

Actually it was Bill Clinton who had the opportunity to take out Bin Laden many times, and passed on it. Then after Bin Laden attacks many US targets overseas Clinton gets some intel and shoots a couple cruise missiles at him, but misses by an hour cuz he waited to long, again!

So you could say if Clinton would of pulled the trigger when he had the chance there may of never been a 9/11.

OfflineSnobrdr311
outdoorenthusiast
 User Gallery

#2296151 - 02/03/04 12:42 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

The other dictators in the other countries didn't invade Kuwait and kill thousands of their people, rape their women and set the oil wells on fire for nothing. The other leaders didn't kill millions of their own people with chemical weapons.. etc.

Yes I agree though, there are a lot of other threats in the region that need to be delt with, Iran is starting to concern me after hearing the recent news regarding them. As is Pakistan.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order