Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds USA West Coast Strains   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Buy Kava Tea

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblejoemato
Stranger
Gymnopilus spectabilis in Central CA (PICS)
    #2295335 - 02/02/04 08:06 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

This was the first time I have seen Gymnopilus spectabilis in California. The clump was seen growing from the base of a dead grey pine near Auburn, CA on Sunday, February 1st.

Sorry about the picture quality. A pen can be seen for scale in one of the photos. The biggest caps are over 7 inches across.

There was quite a variety of other mushrooms out as well:

Russulas
Suillus
Lactarius
Amanitas

and more...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Gymnopilus spectabilis in Central CA (PICS) [Re: joemato]
    #2295388 - 02/02/04 08:15 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Double post.

Edited by angryshroom (02/02/04 08:16 PM)

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Gymnopilus spectabilis in Central CA (PICS) [Re: joemato]
    #2295391 - 02/02/04 08:15 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Thats interesting that you found some now, especially in Auburn.

I usually find them after the first rains of the year...None which I have found have actually bruised blue. Im guessing Arora is right to say that they do not contain any active chemicals of those in the Western region.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: Gymnopilus spectabilis in Central CA (PICS) [Re: angryshroom]
    #2295437 - 02/02/04 08:23 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

See Gary menser started that rumor with Panaolina foenisecii saying that they were not actuve on the west coast and David Arora said they were on the east coast. Those are unfounded scientific statements with no basis for anything.

The main sonstituent of big laughing gyums is yangonine, a compound also common in Kava Kava.

And since the expeerts can barely tell the species apart int he genera, there are 13 listed species of uYmnopilus with psilocine/psilocybine and the experts can barely ID those withour a microscope.

And then many find honey mushrooms thinking they are Arnellaria mellea.

Those 13 species, except for Gymnopilus purpuratus, are hard to tell from one another so who knows what David Arora tried to eat.

He also reported bluing boletus from china which he were told were psychoactive. This is doubtful.

I have a paper by five scientists from Africa in a medical journal where they say that Chlorophyllum molybditis is known as the see and hear voices mushrooms and equating it with psilocybe mushrooms.

WE all know that that latter mushroom is very toxic and can send anyone who eats it to the hospital.

mj

Invisiblenofind_um
Explorer ofEarth
 User Gallery

Loc: At work, at school, at my...
Re: Gymnopilus spectabilis in Central CA (PICS) [Re: mjshroomer]
    #2295702 - 02/02/04 09:46 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I don't subscribe to the blueing g. spectabilis theory,, I've found g. spectabils no blueing, good eating... Also have eaten a few panaolina foencii.. here on the east coast that made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.."could have just been the good herb I smoked",  but that's another story and theory entirely.... No offense I'm not an authority.  Just my own first hand accounts.

They do appear to be some big beat up beginning to rot nasty G. Spectabilis though.. did you get a spore print.

I call them big nasties!! :crazy:

--------------------
My hunting partner is gone, I miss her so!

Edited by nofind_um (02/02/04 09:48 PM)

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #2295974 - 02/02/04 11:36 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

He also reported bluing boletus from china which he were told were psychoactive. This is doubtful.

Do you know anything more about that report?
-I remember in china, this guy had a basket full of the wild Lactarius mushrooms that stain blue/green, i was tempted to have him cook some up for me with rice, but he spoke only chinese and i spoke only english, and he was pointing up towards the mountains saying that people collected them from up there.. I looked through the basket (thought it was dark out) and i questioned myself if they were all even the same species, so i didn't have him cook me any.

GG

Oh, neat Gymnopilus find too. Gymno-identification confuses me greatly hehe, i wouldn't eat those if i was you!~ :grin:

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #2295987 - 02/02/04 11:42 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

I have a paper by five scientists from Africa in a medical journal where they say that Chlorophyllum molybditis is known as the see and hear voices mushrooms and equating it with psilocybe mushrooms.

-That is interesting, indeed.
-If you ever have the time to post that paper it would be cool to read.
-In the book (that i always talk about) Florida Mushrooms by James Kimbrough, he says that Chlorophylum molybdites are infact poisonous, but only for some people, and that in most instances all you need to do is "parboil" the mushrooms first in boiling water and then "decant" that water, and then it is said to be edible then. I personally would never try this with that mushroom.
He also claims that Murrill (who lived and hunted in Gainesville for 30-some-odd years) used to collect generally every decent Bolete that he found, and for all those years would just Parboil and Decant, any Bolete species (i assume including the bluing Boletes) and he enjoyed all of them with never having ill-effects.

GG

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
    #2296227 - 02/03/04 01:29 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

i am inclined to agree with MJ on this one, as i have bioassayed spcimens from a few places around california. some of them are seemingly inactive, and some are active; IME, the geographical location does not seem to have as much to do with it as perhaps genetics and bio-availability/general presence of precursors in specific fruiting locations/substrates may.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds USA West Coast Strains   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Buy Kava Tea